PDA

View Full Version : The 10 game hump

X-Era
07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
That's the short term goal. If we can win 10 I think were in. And once were over that hump, were a contender for the SB.

If we reach it we have are likely in the playoffs. I don't think we can beat the Pats for the division. Their schedule is probably easier than ours. So really it's the wildcard that we should shoot for.

I think the winnable games are:

1 of the Jets games
Chiefs
Browns
Cards
Titans
Fins (both)
1 Pats
Colts
Jags
Rams
Sea

That's 12 if we win all those.

10 games is do-able from that list. I left out the Texans and 49ers as games we probably lose plus 1 loss from the Pats and 1 from the Jets. I think that is fairly realistic. Then I'd worry about the Titans and Cards. We could lose those and still end up at 10.

Yasgur's Farm
07-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Good Post

YardRat
07-20-2012, 07:23 PM
One game at a time.

Will be enjoyable when all of the optimism from the fan base manifests itself on the field...looking forward to this season.

X-Era
07-20-2012, 08:31 PM
One game at a time.

Will be enjoyable when all of the optimism from the fan base manifests itself on the field...looking forward to this season.
Oh... Trust you me I am far from guaranteeing anything... I've been a Bills fan for far too long for that.

However, I think a straight up analysis, team by team, can give us a 10 winnable game season.

I think the worry would be injury. A few key losses will kill us. I mean what happens to our chances if Fitz goes out for the year in the 1st game? Can we count on VY or Thigpen at the same level we do Fitz? That's an interesting question considering many (possibly including me) don't consider him the final answer. Or Freddie? Or Stevie?

Our depth is much much better in almost all areas but we still could see injury drastically change our fortunes.

X-Era
07-20-2012, 08:33 PM
9 won't do it, 11 is a given, that makes 10 the hump.

BillsOverDolphins
07-21-2012, 03:06 AM
9 won't do it, 11 is a given, that makes 10 the hump.

2008 Pats withstanding...

I think they are catching the Jets at the perfect time on the road: Week 1. The only automatic losses are as you said, the roadies at SF, HOU, and NEW. If they stay healthy 10 wins is definitely doable. The key is surviving the first 9 games.

wmoz11
07-21-2012, 05:41 AM
If one Jets/Pats game is winnable, then they're both winnable since you don't know which one we'll win. They're the same teams both games.

Buddo
07-21-2012, 05:53 AM
First game is a biggie.If we could beat the Jests on their home turf, that could really put them on the back foot early. Also gives us a good start in the Division.
Lots of winnable games on our schedule, but not so many 'gimmee's '.

!0 games does seem like where the 'hump' is, and is probably going to be about a 70-30 chance in favour of going to the playoffs. As ever, should we get to that number, I'd expect us to win at least one game we don't think we will, and lose to a team that we really should not do. ;)

swiper
07-21-2012, 06:34 AM
If they could break over 7-9 I think I'd be happy.

X-Era
07-21-2012, 07:12 AM
2008 Pats withstanding...

I think they are catching the Jets at the perfect time on the road: Week 1. The only automatic losses are as you said, the roadies at SF, HOU, and NEW. If they stay healthy 10 wins is definitely doable. The key is surviving the first 9 games.

True. That was an anomaly. It hadn't happened prior to this since the 1985 Bronco's. In 08, The Pats lost the division title to the Fins in the 4th tiebreaker and lost the second tiebreaker for the wildcard to the Ravens. They had 11 wins and didn't make the playoffs. So you're right, I guess we can't call it a given. But I think it's a given that 11 wins would do it this year. I think 10 would do it this year.

X-Era
07-21-2012, 07:14 AM
First game is a biggie.If we could beat the Jests on their home turf, that could really put them on the back foot early. Also gives us a good start in the Division.
Lots of winnable games on our schedule, but not so many 'gimmee's '.

!0 games does seem like where the 'hump' is, and is probably going to be about a 70-30 chance in favour of going to the playoffs. As ever, should we get to that number, I'd expect us to win at least one game we don't think we will, and lose to a team that we really should not do. ;) Totally agree.

PTI
07-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Phins drilled the Bills twice last year, and the Titans easily beat the Bills in Buffalo. I think the Bills can beat the Phins once, only.

Cards are a pretty good team, and good home team, they will be favored by at least 5 iin that game over Buffalo.

zone
07-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Phins drilled the Bills twice last year, and the Titans easily beat the Bills in Buffalo. I think the Bills can beat the Phins once, only.

Cards are a pretty good team, and good home team, they will be favored by at least 5 iin that game over Buffalo.

No team is going to "easily" beat the Bills in Buffalo this year and the cards are not a "pretty good team".

PTI
07-21-2012, 07:50 PM
No team is going to "easily" beat the Bills in Buffalo this year and the cards are not a "pretty good team".

They were 8-8 last year, including finishing 7-2, they are better than the Bills.

stuckincincy
07-23-2012, 09:07 AM

STL might be ok, but I agree with BUF being a difficult opponent, home or away.

The Wms. acquisition, Fred's new contract, the draft and so on. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were active in pursuing other clubs' camp cuts, including vets.

Ralph's last hurrah?

Ed
07-23-2012, 10:15 AM
I think 10 wins is pretty do-able also. I look at it like this:

3-1 against the NFC West
4-2 against non-div AFC
3-3 against the division

That would be 10-6.

ServoBillieves
07-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I could take the easy way out here and say that "Nobody knows, injuries could happen, interesting pick ups and cuts, yadayadayadayada" but no. On paper, this team is a beast. If you told me that a healthy Mario William, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Chris Kelsay were on the defensive line in the locker room? I'd be terrified on offense. Even if they think they can set up schemes to double team... well whoever, where does that leave the others that can wreak havoc in the backfield?

A veteran secondary, eceptional safeties (my keyboard won't type the letter between w and y), improved pass rush, veteran and tackling machines at LB, and even when it's not the pure 4-3 you have Bryan Scott out there? That's an incredibly formidable group.

If the offense can keep it's head on straight, utilize Chan's passing attack, Fred and CJ can go nuts, and the line can stay healthy... What, honestly WHAT is keeping this team from glory unless it's pure coaching or mental mistakes?

This is our Buffalo Bills we're talking about. There is always a wrench in the cogs, but if for once in these miserable 13 years of depression we can stay healthy and be what on paper we look like now for 16+ games, then the AFC East... Hell, any of our opponents, are probably in trouble.

BillsOverDolphins
07-23-2012, 12:56 PM
I could take the easy way out here and say that "Nobody knows, injuries could happen, interesting pick ups and cuts, yadayadayadayada" but no. On paper, this team is a beast. If you told me that a healthy Mario William, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Chris Kelsay were on the defensive line in the locker room? I'd be terrified on offense. Even if they think they can set up schemes to double team... well whoever, where does that leave the others that can wreak havoc in the backfield?

A veteran secondary, eceptional safeties (my keyboard won't type the letter between w and y), improved pass rush, veteran and tackling machines at LB, and even when it's not the pure 4-3 you have Bryan Scott out there? That's an incredibly formidable group.

If the offense can keep it's head on straight, utilize Chan's passing attack, Fred and CJ can go nuts, and the line can stay healthy... What, honestly WHAT is keeping this team from glory unless it's pure coaching or mental mistakes?

This is our Buffalo Bills we're talking about. There is always a wrench in the cogs, but if for once in these miserable 13 years of depression we can stay healthy and be what on paper we look like now for 16+ games, then the AFC East... Hell, any of our opponents, are probably in trouble.

Easy, killer...

1. Nobody fears Chris Kelsay.
2. The Patriots aren't in trouble for the AFC East crown. If Brady stays healthy they are still far and away the best team in the division.
3. This is not a "veteran secondary"...Our starting CBs will most likely be SG and AW. Brooks and Rogers will also see plenty of snaps. McGee is useless now and McKelvin is, well...McKelvin. Byrd has a ton of potential, but is still a relatively young player. GW might be the only vet in the secondary, technically.
4. What tackling machine"s" do we have at LB? Barnett and who else?
5. There's a lot of things "keeping this team from glory," most notably our lack of playmakers in the passing game.