PDA

View Full Version : Beating the Pats Blueprint

DraftBoy
07-23-2012, 11:44 AM
I wrote a guest piece for our partner Patriots site on how the Bills beat New England. I set out thinking that this team would be lucky to get another split v. the pats but when I dug in a little more, I actually discovered that the Pats may be our best matchup to get wins.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/07/buffalo-bills-plans-for-stopping-the-new-england-patriots-enemy-week.html

As we enter the 2012 season the New England Patriots still sit atop the AFC East, the Pats have observed unprecedented dominance winning the division nine times since 2000. Anytime you see individual teams dominate like that it’s time for your opponents to innovate and change the way they are doing things and finally it appears as though the Bills have been able to do that.

better days
07-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Nice write up DraftBoy, I love the optimism.

ServoBillieves
07-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Boy... a great read with a lot of in-depth, but that's one of those journalistic jump-backs that can kick you in the long run. Kudos on the good article, and glad you finally found a good editor! Hope your analysis comes true.

DraftBoy
07-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Boy... a great read with a lot of in-depth, but that's one of those journalistic jump-backs that can kick you in the long run. Kudos on the good article, and glad you finally found a good editor! Hope your analysis comes true.

Eh, the article series is designed to point out Pats flaws and talk up our teams strengths. Its meant to be a bit of flame on Pats fans.

The King
07-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Wow, predicting a sweep is bold!

stuckincincy
07-23-2012, 12:36 PM
I wrote a guest piece for our partner Patriots site on how the Bills beat New England. I set out thinking that this team would be lucky to get another split v. the pats but when I dug in a little more, I actually discovered that the Pats may be our best matchup to get wins.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/07/buffalo-bills-plans-for-stopping-the-new-england-patriots-enemy-week.html

Brady has fine pocket presence. He looks first for a Welker to come across, then picks up the potential mismatches in coverage. That first look, the quickness of a receiver to get open, is tough to defend. Going all-out with a rush can get to him - and you could get stung - and he certainly is a (very talented) beneficiary of the NFL thrust to hype up the pass game and the points.

Were I to plan against Brady, I'd chuck and hold the flanker Welker types onto the turf in that 5 yard zone. 5 yard auto 1st down - I'll suffer that penalty when it happens. I'll send in a LB or safety to interfere with whatever TE they line up as a SE.

I want to force them into running the ball.

Skooby
07-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Fill one hand with hope & the other with .....

BillsOverDolphins
07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
If we sweep the Pats I'll sell my unborn child into slavery.

PTI
07-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Bills do not have the perfect offense to capitalize against the Patriots, makes no sense. Patriots had 23 INTs, 2nd most in the NFL, although 6 were from Fitzpatrick. Our QB has 11 INTs in the last 4 games against New England, he is a turnover machine against a team good at getting turnovers. No chance in hell the Bills sweep the Patriots, Bills have only beat Brady twice ever, and he threw 4 INTs in both those games, Bills have little chance to beat New England in either game. New England will be a TD favorite in almost every game, at least, they have a chance to be 16-0.

justasportsfan
07-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Prediction

I see the Bills improving on their split from 2011 and sweeping the Patriots in 2012 – edging them out on the final weekend to take the division crown back to Buffalo.

Homer

Bills do not have the perfect offense to capitalize against the Patriots, makes no sense. Patriots had 23 INTs, 2nd most in the NFL, although 6 were from Fitzpatrick. Our QB has 11 INTs in the last 4 games against New England, he is a turnover machine against a team good at getting turnovers. No chance in hell the Bills sweep the Patriots, Bills have only beat Brady twice ever, and he threw 4 INTs in both those games, Bills have little chance to beat New England in either game. New England will be a TD favorite in almost every game, at least, they have a chance to be 16-0.

Troll

stuckincincy
07-23-2012, 01:47 PM
If we sweep the Pats I'll sell my unborn child into slavery.

You must be channeling the U.S. Treasury Department, the U.S. Mint, the Administration, and the Federal Reserve. :stretcher

DraftBoy
07-23-2012, 01:53 PM

You're point has almost nothing to do with the Bills actual offense and instead transfixed on a singular player. A player that I acknowledge has INT issues and must overcome then in point three.

- - - Updated - - -

Brady has fine pocket presence. He looks first for a Welker to come across, then picks up the potential mismatches in coverage. That first look, the quickness of a receiver to get open, is tough to defend. Going all-out with a rush can get to him - and you could get stung - and he certainly is a (very talented) beneficiary of the NFL thrust to hype up the pass game and the points.

Were I to plan against Brady, I'd chuck and hold the flanker Welker types onto the turf in that 5 yard zone. 5 yard auto 1st down - I'll suffer that penalty when it happens. I'll send in a LB or safety to interfere with whatever TE they line up as a SE.

I want to force them into running the ball.

Not worried about his pocket presence one bit. I would never all-out blitz Brady, may be the worst decision a defense could ever make.

PTI
07-23-2012, 02:10 PM
The whole offense typically revolves around 1 guy, the QB. The Bills only beat the Patriots because the other guy threw 4 INTs, not sure how you read that I was fixated on one player, I talked to other points, you and others are just fixated on only reading portions of what people type.

Joe Fo Sho
07-23-2012, 02:42 PM
The whole offense typically revolves around 1 guy, the QB. The Bills only beat the Patriots because the other guy threw 4 INTs, not sure how you read that I was fixated on one player, I talked to other points, you and others are just fixated on only reading portions of what people type.

Where did you talk about any other player on the Bills?

stuckincincy
07-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Most every team worries about his PP skills. I didn't advocate an all-out blitz, but an occasional change of pace.

Whack their receivers, ends. Make them run.

PTI
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Where did you talk about any other player on the Bills?

I talked about no individual players, just that the Bills won that game because the defense had 4 INTs.

justasportsfan
07-23-2012, 03:28 PM
The whole offense typically revolves around 1 guy, the QB. The Bills only beat the Patriots because the other guy threw 4 INTs, not sure how you read that I was fixated on one player,

thats Right!

When Brady threw 4 picks the bills D then threw for 369 yards and 2 TD's. That's right. Oh wait...the D threw that? Yeah. It was Kelsay. NO wait it was Wilson. Yeah thats right. :huh:

justasportsfan
07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
The Bills only beat the Patriots because the other guy threw 4 INTs, not sure how you read that I was fixated on one player,

You like to blame the Fitz's W/L record on himself, but this game doesn't count as a win for Fitz because it was Brady's fault? LMAO.

DraftBoy
07-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Most every team worries about his PP skills. I didn't advocate an all-out blitz, but an occasional change of pace.

Whack their receivers, ends. Make them run.

You can't play bump coverage, Welker is too quick and nobody in the league can actually bump Gronk and Hernandez.

Not worried about his PP if there is no pocket.

stuckincincy
07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
You can't play bump coverage, Welker is too quick and nobody in the league can actually bump Gronk and Hernandez.

Not worried about his PP if there is no pocket.

Not coverage; elbow at the snap.

Not sure what you are saying - Brady has no pocket?

I'm getting a vibe from you here - no matter what BUF does, any team does...pass rush, coverage, whatever - it can't work against NE and Brady.

justasportsfan
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Bills need to stop the run and get to Brady with 4 players. The rest can cover their TE's and Welker

camelcowboy
07-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Not coverage; elbow at the snap.

Not sure what you are saying - Brady has no pocket?

I'm getting a vibe from you here - no matter what BUF does, any team does...pass rush, coverage, whatever - it can't work against NE and Brady. who beat the pats twice in the Superbowl? Brady's human.

BillsOverDolphins
07-25-2012, 10:34 PM
who beat the pats twice in the Superbowl? Brady's human.

That's because the Giants have the 3 most important things in today's NFL:

1. An elite QB
2. Good/great wr's
3. Sick front-four on D

TigerJ
07-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Reading through the comments was entertaining if not surprising. Patriot fans don't give is a chance. "The Patriots offense improved a lot more than the Bills' defense." Really? I don't think beating the Patriots will be a cakewalk by any means. The Patriots did land some good WRs in the offense, and that only adds to Brady's list of targets, but the biggest issue for Buffalo to deal with is going to be those tight ends. Buffalo's pass rush may limit the time Brady has to go deep, but Gronk and Hernandez still create matchup problems for an opposing defense in the short and midrange passing game too. I do think Buffalo has closed the talent gap between the two teams by a whole bunch though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a split. A sweep would surprise me, but it sure would be a nice surprise.

better days
07-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Reading through the comments was entertaining if not surprising. Patriot fans don't give is a chance. "The Patriots offense improved a lot more than the Bills' defense." Really? I don't think beating the Patriots will be a cakewalk by any means. The Patriots did land some good WRs in the offense, and that only adds to Brady's list of targets, but the biggest issue for Buffalo to deal with is going to be those tight ends. Buffalo's pass rush may limit the time Brady has to go deep, but Gronk and Hernandez still create matchup problems for an opposing defense in the short and midrange passing game too. I do think Buffalo has closed the talent gap between the two teams by a whole bunch though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a split. A sweep would surprise me, but it sure would be a nice surprise.

I'm with you. For every pass to Lloyd etc, that is one less ball thrown to Gronk, Hernandaz & Welker.