PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on Sunday

Ingtar33
09-10-2002, 01:09 PM
First let me send a great big hello to everyone... I kind of dropped off the face of the planet for a few months (damn work) and resurfaced to find that y'all split in two. Thats a story I'll have to hear somtime, anyway I have a few thoughts about last Sunday (and this upcoming sunday)

1) Biggest surprise was Sullivan, in the three preseason games I caught he looked like the worst O-Linemen on the team. Sunday he was easily the best one, not only opening huge holes but controling his block in the pass protection.

2) Gilbride showed us all why it is important to have a quality O coordinator, he took what the defense was giving him (they were playing cover two so the deep out & streak patterns were doubled), went back to what worked (over and over) and he kept the run blocking schemes simple, letting the line play. He mixed up the calls to keep the defense honest & threatened them deep with every pass play (there was always a receiver on a post/deep curl/out pattern). And while JR was not in this game, that was due to the Jets double-teaming him on most of his routs (they seemed more h*ll bent to stop him than to stop moulds/price).

3) Mike Williams will be a pro-bowler this year if he plays 15 more games like Sunday.

4) Edwards, Williams, Chidi A all were superb, A.S. was a non-factor as he is, in essence a speed rusher, who has yet to learn any more tricks than an up field rush. As a whole the DL & LB did very well.

5) Wire looks better every time he steps onto the field.

6) One question... Why wasn’t Rone dressed? He made the team with his special teams play (not his hands), then sat for the first game...

and finally...

7) I saw something slightly frightening with our pass defense... now I know how the 46 is supposed to work... and we played it well... unfortunately the Jets knew how it worked too and played their O like you're supposed to against it (short passes to the flat/dump offs to the man uncovered due to the blitzing). Testaverde was so in sync with the blitzing packages it was like he was in the defensive huddle. That is frightening. Now, I know Vinny is a cagey vet, but you should be able to catch him unaware with surprise blitzes, but we never did. Not once. He knew when & where it was coming and who would be open. That means the bills were too predictable, giving Vinny what he expected every play. When you call D like that, you'll get opposing qb's going 80% completion with 0 ints all season long.

About next Sunday

1) The Bills should eat alive the Vikes O-Line

2) Look for a huge day from our receiving corps as the Vikes DB's looked horrible against the woeful Chicago passing attack.

Earthquake Enyart
09-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Why is everyone always dissing the Bears? Jim Miller is the most underrated QB in the NFL. Booker, Robinson, White and Terrell are as good a group of WR as you are going to find anywhere.

lordofgun
09-10-2002, 01:20 PM
For 80% of the game, our OL was definitely pro-bowl caliber. That was very encouraging.

I'm looking forward to next week. I think we'll hand the Vikes their shirts.

You make a very good point about Andre Rone. We had a bunch of guys out there that didn't want to tackle. Sure, the blocking was good, but if you look at some of those pictures that Nocturnal posted, there were 8 or 9 guys around the ball carrier. If he makes the first wave miss, it's over. Maybe we should be like NE and play our best players on Special Teams. When are coaches going to realize that this is a vital part of a team
s success?

Earthquake Enyart
09-10-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
When are coaches going to realize that this is a vital part of a team's success?

Sunday, September 8, 2002 about 4:45 pm.

lordofgun
09-10-2002, 01:23 PM
:lol: I hope you're right man. I hope you're right.

casdhf
09-10-2002, 01:35 PM
EE loves Jim Miller and I have no idea why

lordofgun
09-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Because he's a loafer. :D

Earthquake Enyart
09-10-2002, 01:58 PM
I love Jim Miller. He's a poor man's Drew.

Didn't get to see too much of da Bears, because I had the dish fired up watching the beloved. A lot of Bear defenders hurt last week. McQuarters and Phillip Daniels may be serious.

casdhf
09-10-2002, 02:02 PM
He's a scrub. The Bears will be alot better off once Chandler takes over, which should be soon.

Earthquake Enyart
09-10-2002, 02:04 PM
If China Doll Chandler takes over, then Burris will play the next week. No one wants to see that.

casdhf
09-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Chandler over Miller any day of the week.

Earthquake Enyart
09-10-2002, 02:46 PM
I beg to differ.

Captain gameboy
09-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Agree with Ingtar. Two points. While we were on offense, the box looked empty compared to last year. I saw the game on TV, but they were using the same camera angles, so I couldn't have missed it. That's got to be the result of respecting Bledsoe and the WR's. If Henry broke the line, he was unchallenged for about 4-5 yards, hence our success in the deep red zone. Last year, he would have seen one LB and a safety withinn three yds. of the line, even if our O'lineman beat their guy one on one. This game, when they beat their D'lineman, he got a chance to look up and get some speed. Quite different.
Kickoff D. It looked to me that the guys were too pumped up. They hit the receiver's area with too much speed, and were a bit out of control. Seemed to have forgotten that you have to "break down" and get under control, or you'll make any returner look great. Just my thoughts.

casdhf
09-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Beg all you want. It doesn't work for me, so I doubt it would work for you :rolleyes:

Dozerdog
09-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Ingtar da bomb!!

:up:

LtBillsFan66
09-10-2002, 08:05 PM
I was getting a little nervous at the Jets short passes too. I think the only real big play was a run (or short pass - I forget) to Anderson. But they were able to complete and drive (at will) with short quick passes.

Buffarama
09-10-2002, 10:32 PM
Hey everyone, back to earth.
Next week is a road game, with a team that hasn't won a game in months.
Are they capable? Yes. But this weeks game is a real test of where the team is at. To win a road game in a hostile environment against a team with the likes of Randy Moss isn't going to be easy.

THATHURMANATOR
09-10-2002, 10:35 PM
we will win.

lordofgun
09-10-2002, 10:37 PM
Pansy Minnesota fans won't bother us! They aren't even allowed to tailgate!!! How much of a home-field advantage can it really be?

THATHURMANATOR
09-10-2002, 10:43 PM
What a joke!!!

lordofgun
09-10-2002, 10:44 PM
No offense to gunzlingr, but a buffet at a restaurant before the game?!?!?!

WHAT IS THAT????????

(extra punctuation is catchy and addictive)

THATHURMANATOR
09-10-2002, 10:46 PM
It sure is LORD OF GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timfromjersey
09-10-2002, 10:58 PM
I agree with EE. I like Miller as the starter. He's a tuff, heady competitor with a lot of heart and he gets the most out of his talent. Last year, he was having a terrific season until that dirty play put him out of action.

Chandler is very good but is made out of paper mache.

timfromjersey
09-10-2002, 11:01 PM
Btw,

We will win.

I will bet my reputation on it.

two cents ought to cover that wager.

THATHURMANATOR
09-10-2002, 11:02 PM
I will follow suit tim and put MY reputation on the line as well!!!!!