PDA

View Full Version : Pro Shop Prices: Are you Kidding me?

The King
07-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Wow, I can get a Fred Jackson T-shirt for $38 bucks or I can get an authentic jersey from china for $25. Do they think the consumer is stupid? The NFL is basically responsible for driving all their jersey sales over seas.

http://www.shopthebills.com/buffalo-bills-t-shirt-fred-jackson-name-and-number.aspx

or

http://www.jerseycart.com/buffalo-bills-22-fred-jackson-home-blue-nike-elite-jerseys-p-9014.html

You decide.

ddaryl
07-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Where is the T-Shirt made ?

That makes a difference. I'd pay a premium if it is made in America. But my money says the T-Shirt is not made here so the point is moot

and everyone already knows where i stand on the cheap Chinese jersey attitude. JUST SAY NO !

OpIv37
07-27-2012, 07:28 AM
yeah it's pretty ridiculous.

When I was a kid, t-shirts used to be $15, hats would be about $20 and replica jerseys were around $45. Now, t-shirts are $38, hats are $40 and replicas are $80.

Granted, inflation is an unfortunate reality and few things are as cheap as they were 15-20 years ago. But at the same time, few other things in life have nearly doubled in price. If you go to the store to buy a Nike or Reebok t-shirt without a team logo on it, they're typically around $20, maybe $25- nowhere near the $38 that the NFL wants.

And the authentic jerseys are the biggest jack ever. They charge $225, meanwhile China can make ones that are only slightly lower quality for $30. And the authentic ones are made overseas, so it's not like the extra cost is due to making them in the US. There's just no reason for that price other than a blatant money grab.

If the NFL's merch prices were more reasonable, there would be far less bootlegging.

The King
07-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Replica's are 100

OpIv37
07-27-2012, 07:29 AM
seriously? They were $75 or $80 only about 2 or 3 years ago. Insane.

The King
07-27-2012, 07:36 AM
yup

The last buffalo fan
07-27-2012, 10:39 AM
I paid for my first replica $45.00, it was an Eric Moulds one. Then and because the prices were so "high" for me, I just waited for them to be on sale and got most of them at $10.00, of course all of the players were out of the team at the time. Since i found out about the China ones, I have been buying them ............... Go China and Go Bills!! :$:

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2012, 10:50 AM
and everyone already knows where i stand on the cheap Chinese jersey attitude. JUST SAY NO !
Just say no to Chinese made jerseys sold direct to us for $25.

Just say yes to the exact same Chinese made jerseys from the same manufacturers but sold through several layers of wholesalers and distributors and ultimately from league sanctioned retailers and pay for everyone else's profits and licensing fees for $300.

Sounds American to me. :up:

ddaryl
07-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Just say yes to the exact same Chinese made jerseys from the same manufacturers but sold through several layers of wholesalers and distributors and ultimately from league sanctioned retailers and pay for everyone else's profits and licensing fees for $300.

I say....... say no to all jerseys made in CHINA REGARDLESS OF PRICE.

If it's American made then step up and support America and Americans, but you're right that is the Ameircan way maximixze profits and screw over AMericans in th eprocess.. but a lot of fans are self defeating IMO

but if people are so willing to buy these cheap knockoffs then the chances of getting the NFL to do their business differently is nil..

I just want people to stand up and demand more American made goods, especially form a 9 billion $$$ American industry.

I actually emailed the Bills and asked them about the $38 T-Shirt and where it was made. I'm awaiting a response...

The last buffalo fan
07-27-2012, 11:06 AM

I have yet to see an "original" $300.00 jersey, but the $25.00 ones are 10 times better than the replicas and the replithentics in my opinon. It is a no brainer.

Michael82
07-27-2012, 11:06 AM
It's because of Nike. I figured once Nike took over, they would really rape the fans. :ill:

OpIv37
07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
It's because of Nike. I figured once Nike took over, they would really rape the fans. :ill:

Can't blame Nike entirely. This trend started long before they took over. They just made it worse.

OpIv37
07-27-2012, 11:17 AM

If it's American made then step up and support America and Americans, but you're right that is the Ameircan way maximixze profits and screw over AMericans in th eprocess.. but a lot of fans are self defeating IMO

but if people are so willing to buy these cheap knockoffs then the chances of getting the NFL to do their business differently is nil..

I just want people to stand up and demand more American made goods, especially form a 9 billion $$$ American industry.

I actually emailed the Bills and asked them about the $38 T-Shirt and where it was made. I'm awaiting a response...

Saying no to Chinese-made jerseys means saying no to jerseys period. They just don't make them in the US no matter how much you are willing to pay.

Of course, the NFL is already jacking us on price, charging $225-300 for a product that MIGHT cost $20 to make overseas and ship here. At that price, they could still make a profit manufacturing them in the US, but we all know what would really happen: they'd use the higher production costs in the US as an excuse to jack the price up even more, and we'd be in the $500 range for authentics and probably the $200 range for replicas.

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2012, 12:39 PM

You're focusing on the wrong things. America cannot compete in the cheap labor the South America and Asia offer. Our standard of living is far far too high for that.

The way for us to compete is in technology and innovation. That's what we're good at.

OpIv37
07-27-2012, 01:03 PM
You're focusing on the wrong things. America cannot compete in the cheap labor the South America and Asia offer. Our standard of living is far far too high for that.

The way for us to compete is in technology and innovation. That's what we're good at.

Yeah, but "Buy American" makes a much better bumper stickers for union leaders to put on their Cadillacs and rednecks to put on their pickups.

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Yeah, but "Buy American" makes a much better bumper stickers for union leaders to put on their Cadillacs and rednecks to put on their pickups.
The goal should be selling our technology high and buying cheap products low.

Meathead
07-27-2012, 01:30 PM
there is zero chance im buying an authentic customized jersey for upwards of four hunnerd bucks, or even two hunnerd if i could ever find one that cheap. thats why buying my seventy-five dollar chink knockoff is irrelevant to the nfl

justasportsfan
07-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Shop at Salvation army or goodwill. You'll end up with Rob Johnson or Travis Henry jerseys but at least you'll be helping the local poor instead of the poor in china

BLeonard
07-27-2012, 02:14 PM

That's all well and good, in theory...

However, when I read stories about the US Olympic teams wearing Chinese-made uniforms, the whole "Buy American" mantra rings hollow.

-Bill

Bulldog
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
American compnaies are actually in the process of moving some manufacturing back to the states. The standard of living in China is rising as well, and at the end of the day, a lot of executives figure the lengthy lead times and logistical nightmares aren't worth the hassel. The cost of labor in the United States is roughly 23% higher than that of China, and when you factor in freight and lead times, it becomes even less significant. Like a lot of things, it's all cyclical.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/24/us-usa-manufacturing-onshoring-idUSBRE86N0XB20120724

Bulldog
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Also aiding this trend is what Miyagi was getting at. Through the use of technology, companies can manufacture things in the states with less man power and in essence achieve labor costs that are similar to China.

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Automation however is an extremely costly investment. High volume can justify it.

thejosh213
07-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Hey guys, first and foremost I am a Bills fan. Basically I have a friend of mine who is a friend of mine who is a longtime Bucc fan. He really likes John Lynch and I have been searching through these chinease sites for an affordable jersey of John Lynch. I understand this isn't Bills related, but if any of you have seen one of these sites, could you please pm me with where I can find one? He doesn't have 100+ to spend on a jersey. Thanks for any help.

SpillerThrills
07-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I work as a salesman for an embroidery and screen printing company. my local American Legion wanted hats that were made in the US and they are almost impossible to find. and the ones that you can find are expensive as all hell. as much as I hate to say it, most of our wearables are not being manufactured over seas at a cheaper price and it's putting a lot of American companies out of business. I know a lot of our T's are made in the US (at least the ones we use) but they are a bit more expensive.

ddaryl
07-30-2012, 02:12 PM

Made in Nicaragua

ParanoidAndroid
07-31-2012, 12:49 PM

It's manufactured by VF which makes the likes of Wranglers, Lee, North Face, Jansport, Nautica, Vans, and Reef. They are based in North Carolina but have hundreds of factories and 3rd party suppliers in 53 countries.

ddaryl
07-31-2012, 02:29 PM
It's manufactured by VF which makes the likes of Wranglers, Lee, North Face, Jansport, Nautica, Vans, and Reef. They are based in North Carolina but have hundreds of factories and 3rd party suppliers in 53 countries.

Yeah but how many American jobs are created compared to how many they employ worldwide. What % of each of their products is supporting Americans ?

My beef would be that all these products are manufactured overseas, and only a small portion of the corporate offices reside here. I honeslty don't know for sure accept Vans which I know are 100% manufactured overseas. Which really sucks cause I love Vans, but I will never buy another pair

Scrutinize everything you buy, and do whatever you can whenever you can to support American middle class jobs !!!

OpIv37
07-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Working in factories making t-shirts is a middle class job now?

ddaryl
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Sure beats a Chinese sweatshop.

Would much rather support an American get paid $12 - $15 hour with some benefits, then a Chinese person making $3 a day. Lets not forget factory management, machine tool repair, office workers, etc... all associated with manufacturing stateside.

ParanoidAndroid
07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
If they're smart enough to make a t-shirt, then they can get a business degree. :D

Slim
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Ddarryl, Op, and me had this exact some discussion a few months ago.

Anyone who is interested in global economics or even the textile industry(jersey's are polyester, and the US does manufacture a solid amount of polyester) read this:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Travels-T-Shirt-Global-Economy/dp/0470287160/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343767552&sr=8-1&keywords=the+travels+of+a+t-shirt+in+the+global+economy

ddaryl
07-31-2012, 03:55 PM
provide me with the %'s that are made HERE in regards to jerseys etc... The end result is minimal American jobs in that regards

I think I chimed in on that discussion and debunked one of those thought processes

but I AM ALWAYS Interested in info

Slim
07-31-2012, 05:00 PM
I think I chimed in on that discussion and debunked one of those thought processes

but I AM ALWAYS Interested in info

For some reason I thought jersey's were a polyester/cotton mix. But jerseys are 100% polyester, although I guess some parts of the jersey are probably also made of nylon. And I was gave everyone a pointless history lesson on textiles and we all killed a thread.

DynaPaul
07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
I just bought a black Fitzpatrick jersey on there. It's coming with a free quart of pork fried rice too. How can you beat that?

Mr. Miyagi
08-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Sure beats a Chinese sweatshop.

Would much rather support an American get paid $12 - $15 hour with some benefits, then a Chinese person making $3 a day. Lets not forget factory management, machine tool repair, office workers, etc... all associated with manufacturing stateside.
Has any of you ever visited a "Chinese sweatshop" before you make these kinds of statements? I know I have, as recently as 2 weeks ago.

- Factory workers are paid much lower wage than Americans, however their cost of living is much much much lower.
- They are provided with food and lodging, and no they're not always sardeens cramming 12 people in a room.
- They live in dormitories not because they're forced to, but because a lot of them come from country side villages and have very limited transportation.
- They make a hell of a lot more money doing far less labor intensive work compared to the alternative - farming in their village
- No there are no armed guards at the gate. Guns are illegal in China. This is completely fabricated BS.
- Working conditions are generally no worse than many American factories I've visited. Bright lights, air-conditioned where it makes sense (non molding / casting facilities)
- No whips or chains or any kind of abuse (what, like Oliver Twist?). Workers are treated professionally.

Believe me, I work with, talk to, and are friends with many of them. I have not seen any of the "Apple iPhone factory workers standing in line to commit suicide" BS that one particular public commentator has stated, which by the way turned out to be completely made up as confessed by the originator.

DraftBoy
08-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Are we really going to turn this thread into a political one? This is America, the idea is you can buy your **** wherever you want, from whomever you want for as cheap or expensive as you want.

justasportsfan
08-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Has any of you ever visited a "Chinese sweatshop" before you make these kinds of statements? I know I have, as recently as 2 weeks ago.

- Factory workers are paid much lower wage than Americans, however their cost of living is much much much lower.
- They are provided with food and lodging, and no they're not always sardeens cramming 12 people in a room.
- They live in dormitories not because they're forced to, but because a lot of them come from country side villages and have very limited transportation.
- They make a hell of a lot more money doing far less labor intensive work compared to the alternative - farming in their village
- No there are no armed guards at the gate. Guns are illegal in China. This is completely fabricated BS.
- Working conditions are generally no worse than many American factories I've visited. Bright lights, air-conditioned where it makes sense (non molding / casting facilities)
- No whips or chains or any kind of abuse (what, like Oliver Twist?). Workers are treated professionally.

Believe me, I work with, talk to, and are friends with many of them. I have not seen any of the "Apple iPhone factory workers standing in line to commit suicide" BS that one particular public commentator has stated, which by the way turned out to be completely made up as confessed by the originator.

:up: Even if they just make $5/day, it's better than nothing especially in a 3rd world country. To us it sounds terrible. to them it's a blessing.

Slim
08-03-2012, 12:32 AM

There are thousands of instances where girls have left their home towns to go work at textile factories. Think about it, either work on your family or communities land doing horrible manual labor, and making no money. Or leaving home and making more money in better conditions.

Extremebillsfan247
08-03-2012, 06:43 AM
You don't suppose it's China's way of getting back at the NFL for allowing the Bills to cut Ed Wang do you? :lol: Bad joke...