PDA

View Full Version : Sapp, McGinest tap brakes on Buffalo's defense

Meathead
07-27-2012, 01:43 PM
July 27, 2012 - 12:24 PM | 2 comments

By Tim Graham

Can the Buffalo Bills field a top-five defense?

The question was posed to NFL Network analysts Warren Sapp and Willie McGinest, retired defenders with nine Pro Bowls and four Super Bowl rings between them.

They each declined to put the Bills in such elite class, although McGinest was more diplomatic than Sapp was.

"Wow, that's tough," McGinest said. "I've got my list right here. When I look at the top-five defenses: Pittsburgh, Houston, Baltimore, San Francisco, the Jets surprisingly was in there.

"I think some teams lower down, I think the Philadelphia Eagles will move up. I think the Dallas Cowboys, the Chicago Bears will do a better job.

"I don't think [the Bills] will jump in the top five unless that offense is just on fire."

Before McGinest could finish those last few words, Sapp blurted "No. No is the answer you're looking for."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/07/sapp-mcginest-tap-brakes-on-buffalos-defense.html

top five is asking too much. you cant expect new players and a new system to come together that fast

id be thrilled with top ten. hell top half would be a big improvement

OpIv37
07-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Our DL is probably top 5, but our S's are only ok, our CB's are inexperienced and we have some questions at LB.

While I think it's fair to expect the D to improve, it's not realistic to expect this team to go from 26th in overall D to top 5 in just one off-season.

mayotm
07-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I'd rate the starting safeties as better than ok, although depth is a concern. I agree that a move into the top 5 is unlikely.

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't care where the talking heads rank us. Everyone's just guessing anyway.

BillsOverDolphins
07-27-2012, 02:00 PM
They're right.

EricStratton
07-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Ranking a defense is a hard proposition because as McGinest says a lot has to do with the offense. If you play a low scoring grind it out game your D will look good on paper but if you score a lot you will give up yards and your overall ranking will be low.

djjimkelly
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
if they improve into the top half in total defense, takeaways and sacks ill be satisfied

YardRat
07-27-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't care where we rank overall, as long as we stop the run, create turnovers, get sacks, win games and make the playoffs.