PDA

View Full Version : McGee odd mant out?

X-Era
07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/30/terrence-mcgee-worries-about-his-future-in-buffalo/

Also says he took a paycut when he restructured in Feb.

This says it's now incentive based but he could earn the same. That's not really a paycut until he fails to meet the incentives. Of course the flip side is he likely may not reach them all depending on what they are.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_nfl/mcgee-restructures-contract

OpIv37
07-30-2012, 09:36 AM
wouldn't surprise me at all. The guy can't stay healthy and is getting up there. He had some great seasons for us, but I'm not sure he has much left.

k-oneputt
07-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Gilmore, Williams, Brooks are locks,

McKelvin and Rogers are in good shape to both make the team.

That's five, assuming they keep six which they probably will, that leaves one spot.

If Mcgee gets injured again in camp I don't think they will keep him around. He's borderline and better have a good and healthy camp.

MattyNH
07-30-2012, 10:24 AM
I love Mcgee and when healthy might be the Bills best CB. But if he can't be relied on due to health then I think you have to move on. The Bills have a lot of young talent at that position which does not help his cause. The NFL is a tough place to hold onto a job.

zone
07-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I would like to see McGee transition to safety.

YardRat
07-30-2012, 04:16 PM
I would like to see McGee transition to safety.

Me too, but then we would need to pick up a street FA for 6 CB's.

BillsOverDolphins
07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm fine witb 5 cb's on the roster. If anyone needs a switch to free safety it's McKelvin--where i actually think he could flourish. Thanks TM, but hit the road.

X-Era
07-30-2012, 04:59 PM
The secondary becomes greener than the hills if McGee is cut. I'd like to keep him and cut the #6 CB... I'd keep McLovin, McGee, Williams, Gilmore, And either Rogers or Brooks... and PS the other guy. I think Rogers still has PS eligibility. That way if McGee gets hurt we can sign the guy from the PS.

BillsOverDolphins
07-30-2012, 05:02 PM
I'd rather throw our young db's into the ocean and see if they can swim. We know what McGee has to offer and it's not much. Let's not stunt the growth of these guys.

YardRat
07-30-2012, 05:08 PM
The secondary becomes greener than the hills if McGee is cut. I'd like to keep him and cut the #6 CB... I'd keep McLovin, McGee, Williams, Gilmore, And either Rogers or Brooks... and PS the other guy. I think Rogers still has PS eligibility. That way if McGee gets hurt we can sign the guy from the PS.

Eligibility for the practice squad is limited to players who do not have an accrued season in the NFL, or were on an active list (53-man roster) for fewer than nine games during their only accrued seasons. Players that have served two seasons on a practice squad are eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment.

Don't think Rogers is PS eligible anymore.

Personally, I don't like only 5 CB's, even if McGee is gone. Gilmore, Williams, McKelvin, Rogers and Brooks should all be 'gimme's' to make the squad along with McGee if he is healthy. Let Miller, Hill or Green take up a couple of spots on the PS. Honestly, I haven't seen enough of the three to convince me they'd be OK with the sixth spot yet. If McGee does get hurt, we need to troll other team's cuts to bring somebody in.

X-Era
07-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I'd rather throw our young db's into the ocean and see if they can swim. We know what McGee has to offer and it's not much. Let's not stunt the growth of these guys.How many TD's are you willing to sacrifice due to inexperience to gain what you consider "growth". Nickel and Dime packages are where these guys can get playing time. I want starters who are truly ready to start.

BillsOverDolphins
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
How many TD's are you willing to sacrifice due to inexperience to gain what you consider "growth". Nickel and Dime packages are where these guys can get playing time. I want starters who are truly ready to start.

You say that as if McGee is going to prevent those TD's...he hasn't prevented jack***** in years.

k-oneputt
07-30-2012, 08:10 PM

I can guarantee you that Brooks isn't going to the practice squad.

Night Train
07-31-2012, 04:45 AM
wouldn't surprise me at all. The guy can't stay healthy and is getting up there. He had some great seasons for us, but I'm not sure he has much left.

Agreed.

He's been All-Whirlpool the last few years and it's too bad. He was very good and his amazing kick returns will always be remembered... But I think he may be done here, with Gilmore looking like an immediate starter.

I still see us scanning the waiver wire for a late depth addition, prior to opening day.

clumping platelets
07-31-2012, 05:17 AM
McGee sucks. He's at best the #4 CB on the roster even when healthy. Teams match up their biggest, most physical WR on him all the time, especially on 3rd down. More times than not, they get the first down

Maybe a team will give us a cond 2013 for him.........I take it and run.

X-Era
07-31-2012, 05:32 AM
I can guarantee you that Brooks isn't going to the practice squad.Not impossible at all.

X-Era
07-31-2012, 05:35 AM
Agreed.

He's been All-Whirlpool the last few years and it's too bad. He was very good and his amazing kick returns will always be remembered... But I think he may be done here, with Gilmore looking like an immediate starter.

I still see us scanning the waiver wire for a late depth addition, prior to opening day.I'd be OK with that. It's not like I think we must keep him. I just worry about so much youth starting. I think Gilmore and Williams would start if McGee was gone and that means our starting CB's have a total of 6 starts combined...

mightysimi
07-31-2012, 05:45 AM
Well he's still not 100%. I think that he gets cut but if we lose a CB for any length of time, we call him first. That will give him more time to heal.

OpIv37
07-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Well he's still not 100%. I think that he gets cut but if we lose a CB for any length of time, we call him first. That will give him more time to heal.

If we cut him he probably won't be available if we have an injury. Some other team that needs CB depth or has an injury will pick up him fairly quickly.

OpIv37
07-31-2012, 06:57 AM

If YR is right, Rogers doesn't have PS eligibility, but even if he does I would keep him on the active roster. The guy looked halfway decent last year and needs experience. Even if he's low on the depth chart, we could work him in at the end of a game that gets out of hand or maybe he can sub in at nickel if we have an injury. Plus, I think having him there as an up-and-coming threat could provide incentive to McKelvin to get his head out of his ass.

k-oneputt
07-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Not impossible at all.

For Brooks to hit the PS he would first have to be cut and then clear waivers. That's not happening.

Mahdi
07-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Definitely impossible. Brooks is a lock as top 5 CB. Too much versatility and special teams value.

Night Train
07-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Williams looks more like a slot CB, with his lack of deep speed. Yet McKelvin is slotted there, maybe due to his all too common practice of watching his man catch the deep ball with him flalling his arms around in vain.

I bet Brooks is eventually the other outside CB with Gilmore but may be too raw at present. Then again Rodgers did little wrong in the 2nd half of the season last fall and may be the guy. Pre-season will be interesting to see where they line up.