PDA

View Full Version : Are we on the cusp of a luxury draft?

X-Era
08-01-2012, 04:30 PM
It's a rarity in the NFL to enter any draft with no holes and no predicted needs. No, I don't think we will be in that boat. But, if we keep our own next year and things go as planned, we may have a deep team with few if any holes...

At this point I consider a stud WR or LB to still be a want bordering on need... A developmental QB is also something to think about.

That's 3 spots where I can think of a significant want or need for a highly touted player... So, it begs the question if this could be a year where we can lean away from filling holes/needs and truly go BPA? On the BPA train of thought, almost all spots could use a bonafide star so if you have the luxury of going more toward BPA and can get one, it may make sense.

Here's my rank on areas where we could see a more clear want for another highly touted player:

1) WR
2) ILB
3) OLB
4) QB

OpIv37
08-02-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't think we are anywhere close to a "luxury" draft.

We absolutely need more talent at WR, LB and OT. We need depth pretty much all around, with the possible exception of the DL.

And, most likely this is it for Fitz- if he can't be consistent for the whole season, then it's time to start finding a replacement. Either way, I absolutely think we need a developmental QB. Fitz will turn 30 this season, and while 30 isn't the death sentence for QB's that it usually is for RB's, it's still a bit of a concern. Between his age and inconsistency, we should be looking 2-3 years down the road and start developing our next QB.

That being said, it's hard to say before the season starts. Maybe Graham and Easley will step up and WR will turn out to be much better than we thought. Or, maybe they'll do nothing and we'll still need to restock our WR's behind Stevie next year. Same goes for CB- we have a lot of young guys who show promise (Gilmore, A Williams, Rogers), but who knows how they will actually turn out?

DraftBoy
08-02-2012, 08:41 AM
We've been there since Nix took over actually.

X-Era
08-02-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't think we are anywhere close to a "luxury" draft.

We absolutely need more talent at WR, LB and OT. We need depth pretty much all around, with the possible exception of the DL.

And, most likely this is it for Fitz- if he can't be consistent for the whole season, then it's time to start finding a replacement. Either way, I absolutely think we need a developmental QB. Fitz will turn 30 this season, and while 30 isn't the death sentence for QB's that it usually is for RB's, it's still a bit of a concern. Between his age and inconsistency, we should be looking 2-3 years down the road and start developing our next QB.

That being said, it's hard to say before the season starts. Maybe Graham and Easley will step up and WR will turn out to be much better than we thought. Or, maybe they'll do nothing and we'll still need to restock our WR's behind Stevie next year. Same goes for CB- we have a lot of young guys who show promise (Gilmore, A Williams, Rogers), but who knows how they will actually turn out?

You mentioned WR and LB just like I did. But OT is no longer a need. We have prospects there. Could we use a vet? sure. The draft won't help us get a vet.

You say we need depth. Where? LB is really the only spot I can think of maybe safety but I think we will sign a vet safety.

QB? No, outside of a developmental guy.
WR? yes but that's already on the list.
TE? Not in my opinion but a receiving type wouldn't hurt... But couldn't we classify that as luxury pick?
RB? No.
OT? No, were already full with decent looking prospects and young vets
OG? No.
OC? Maybe a mid rounder backup
DE? No.
DT? No.
ILB? Yes, and it's a spot where we could use a stud IMO
OLB? Yes, But it will depend on how Moats and Bradham develop
CB? No.
FS? No. Not if they keep Byrd and get a vet
SS? No. I'm a Wilson fan and Searcy is the backup
K? No.
P? Maybe but I think Moorman has years left in him

I think we have a deep team and that there are only a few spots where we could use a real upgrade but a lot can still change.

YardRat
08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Don't think there is such a thing as a luxury draft.