View Full Version : Jim Leonhard watching practice at Bills camp today

Slim
08-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Per Mark Gaughan twitter.

Interesting.

https://twitter.com/gggaughan/status/231131409748721665

Slim
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I have to believe theres something to this.

Meathead
08-02-2012, 04:07 PM
ya think?

when have you ever heard of a fa just standing around at somebodys practice? of course theres something to it. leonhard is a little too slow and too small to be a starter, but hes a good veteran player so im not surprised they are considering him for pretty much exactly what buddy said they were looking for

SquishDaFish
08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Love to have him back

Slim
08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
ya think?

when have you ever heard of a fa just standing around at somebodys practice? of course theres something to it. leonhard is a little too slow and too small to be a starter, but hes a good veteran player so im not surprised they are considering him for pretty much exactly what buddy said they were looking for

I hate you.

G Wolly
08-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Love to have him back

Stole my reply.

Slim
08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Love to have him back

Wasn't Jim routinely used as a whipping boy here when he played in Buff the first time?

Meathead
08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
not that i recall. he was just a backup here that ended up starting due to injury and they decided to not keep him after that. pretty much the same everywhere he goes

you might be thinking of coy wire. now that guy got whipped by the fans, but that was because he didnt play up to his expectations. coy was in that same class, a very nice backup who you dont want starting

ddaryl
08-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Obviously he's interested. I imagine the Bills are interest in talking

X-Era
08-02-2012, 05:42 PM
No one should be surprised. He's a quality player.

THRILLHO
08-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I was upset when he wasnt re-signed. Than having to see him to excellent with The Jets was salt in the wound.

Skooby
08-02-2012, 06:01 PM
A Vet minimum contract might be a good investment in a finding another leader on the team, health willing.

jimbohastle51
08-02-2012, 06:07 PM
It has to be a done deal if he is there on the sidelines watching practice. Prob finished his physical and what not and is waiting for the doctors approval before the signing becomes official. He is exactly what the Bills need. A very good vet safety that can start a few games if you need him to or can rotate in and you won't miss a beat with him. Also he can return kicks/punts in a pinch. Hopefully it gets wrapped up.

jimbohastle51
08-02-2012, 06:08 PM
BTW I wonder who gets cut for him to come in, if this were to become official?

YardRat
08-02-2012, 06:25 PM
We definitely need safety help, he'd be a solid vet back-up for sure.

Hopefully Ruvell Martin. Please and thank you.

ServoBillieves
08-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Cris Hill?

jimbohastle51
08-02-2012, 09:18 PM
We definitely need safety help, he'd be a solid vet back-up for sure.

Hopefully Ruvell Martin. Please and thank you.

HAHA! I am right there with you! Ruvell Martin is a waste of a spot on the 53 man roster.

- - - Updated - - -

Cris Hill?

I was thinking one of the undrafted safeties the team signed but Chris Hill could be the guy..

Slim
08-02-2012, 11:30 PM
One thing I remember about JL was he was a plus special teams player. So he has value even as a 4th safety.

Extremebillsfan247
08-03-2012, 12:53 AM
I'd love to see him sign here. I just hope he can pass his physical. He's recovering from a torn patellar tendon suffered last December with the Jets.

Night Train
08-03-2012, 04:15 AM
He's watching practice because he can't play.

31 other teams are in agreement.

kishoph
08-03-2012, 05:31 AM
He's scheduled to meet with the team again today, which I take as a good sign. If he can recover fully from the injury, I think it would be a good signing, he's only 29, so it's not like he's washed up. I think he would be a good veteran presence.

Forward_Lateral
08-03-2012, 06:04 AM
I always liked Jim. He's an overachiever, which is what fits Buffalo perfectly. He'd be a nice backup, at worst, if he's healthy.

justasportsfan
08-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Jim Leonhard was credited for teaching George Wilson how to read and play D when Wilson was switching from wr to safety. Now Wilson is considered to be the go to guy when it comes to organizing the backfield. If Jim is 100% i would love him for depth. Anytime guys like him and Kelsay become depth, that's a good sign.

Jim IMO is like Fitz. Smart players but are limited by their physical attributes. He's no going to be shutting down guys like Gronk and Hernandez.

Ed
08-03-2012, 09:49 AM
I'd like the move if it happens. He's a solid vet that has played on some good D's in NY and Baltimore. Our entire secondary doesn't have a single player that has played in a playoff game. It would be nice to have a guy with that experience who can provide some mentoring and depth.

Mr. Pink
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Not interested in bringing back our old hasbeens, especially one coming off an injury who is still looking for a job in August, sorry.

justasportsfan
08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Wilson also might not be a safety today had it not been for Leonhard’s tutelage.

“I spoke with Jimmy,” Wilson told Buffalobills.com. ”He mentioned to me that they’d be working him out this morning. I have a deep debt to Jimmy. When I first made the transition to safety Jimmy was that one guy who took time out of his own schedule to help me grasp the defense, to learn the playbook from a defensive standpoint. He helped to smooth that transition out for me. It’s always good to run into Jimmy. I’m not sure how the workout went this morning, but I hope he’s doing better recovering from the knee injury.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/08/03/george-spoke-with-leonhard/

kingJofNYC
08-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Jim would be a good guy to have around for some of the young defensive backs, doubt he'll contribute anything on the field. I think it'd be good to have him around, almost like a player coach.

better days
08-04-2012, 11:26 AM
I read Leonhard left camp without signing a contract. Either he did not pass his physical or he wanted too much money.

Scumbag College
08-04-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm guessing with him leaving without a contract this close to the season starting either the Bills weren't interested in him or he wasn't interested in the Bills.

Either way, I doubt we'll see him playing for the Bills again.

YardRat
08-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Are you sure you're thinking of Leonhard? He started 53 games in his last 4 seasons. That's an average of 13 games a year.

Pretty sure Meat's comments are relative to Leonhard's tenure in Buffalo, not the last four seasons.

Looks like Denver is interested in kicking his tires also.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/61053/report-broncos-interested-in-jim-leonhard