PDA

View Full Version : Ralph is in a wheelchair now at a Ribbon cutting ceremony @ the HOF

Skooby
08-03-2012, 10:47 AM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/08/ralph-wilson-makes-hall-of-fame-appearance.html

The King
08-03-2012, 10:51 AM
I have never been a big fan of Wilson but watching his decline has definitely been sad.

ddaryl
08-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Yeah the man is old and frail...

A little more motivation for this team to deliver a championship....

A bumpy relationship with Ralph and fans, but we are blessed to have him as our owner, so many others would of packed up shop years ago

Ed
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Well the guy did break his hip last year so walking and standing aren't easy for him anymore.

ZAZusmc03
08-03-2012, 11:03 AM
It is really sad to see his decline, and I am extremely thankful for everything that he has done. It'll be a sad day for all of football when he does pass away.

dannyek71
08-03-2012, 11:44 AM
He broke his hip. Tough, but not the end of the world. Might just be tough for him to walk long distances.

It is important to note, that he is at the ceremony though.

justasportsfan
08-03-2012, 11:46 AM
he's still supposedly sharp above the shoulders

better days
08-03-2012, 12:02 PM
He broke his hip. Tough, but not the end of the world. Might just be tough for him to walk long distances.

It is important to note, that he is at the ceremony though.

Living down here in SW Fla, I am surrounded by OLD people, some are over 100. Said to say, when they fall & break a hip, which is fairly common, they can never recover from that. Once they get in a wheelchair, they never get out of it until they die.

Dr. Lecter
08-03-2012, 12:49 PM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/08/ralph-wilson-makes-hall-of-fame-appearance.html

CANTON, Ohio -- There had been some concern whether health issues would prevent Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson from attending this morning's ribbon-cutting ceremony for the $2.5 million research facility he funded for Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Wilson was in attendance, and while he struggled with mobility, he delivered a speech to a gathering comprised of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Hall of Famers and fans in front of the Ralph Wilson Jr. Pro Football Research and Preservation Center.

Wilson, in his gold Hall of Fame jacket, sat in a wheelchair for most of the ceremony. He was accompanied by his wife, Mary, niece and Bills executive vice president Mary Owen and Bills CFO Jeffrey Littmann.

The 93-year-old Bills founder needed considerable assistance from spotters to stand for the national anthem and to speak at the lectern. He sometimes labored through his prepared statement, but he diverted from the script for a couple jokes. After being positioned at the lectern, Wilson said it reminded him of navigating minefields in World War II.

Wilson also got emotional toward the end of his seven-minute speech. Here it is in it's entirety:

"It's been great to see all you fellows today. I want you to know that I've seen all of you play the game of pro football either on TV or at the game itself. Thank you for so many of you coming up and saying hello.

"This is not going to be a long speech. So all of you can breathe a sigh of relief. I'm happy to be here today as part of the renovation of the research center and also this expansion, which Steve Perry said is important to the game and all of you that have made the game to be able to come back and say 'I helped build this building,' and I hope you all will look around and see what's happened. In the 50 years I have been involved in pro football, I have seen incredible growth. Little did we suspect the day would come when our game would become known as the national pastime and the Hall of Fame facility would blossom into this impressive setting we now see in Canton. So, indeed, it is [an honor] for me to dedicate still another expansion of the Hall.

"I said I didn't like to read speeches. I was just kidding.

"The Pro Football Hall of Fame's historic documents as have been mentioned will be housed here, and scholars from all over the world will have a chance to see them and go over them. If they're great scholars -- as I'm sure they must be -- I would like an answer to how the Buffalo Bills have gone to four straight Super Bowls without winning one.

"So whatever team you root for, welcome to the expanded ... I must say partially expanded because there probably will be more expansion in the years to come. And congratulations to the 2012 inductees, and I thank them all for coming today. I really appreciate it.

"Once again, it's been great to see you. For all of you that have come over and said hello, that will always be with me. Never be forgotten. Whatever team you root for, I wish them luck and hope that they have as great a time in the game -- win or lose -- as I have. Thank you fellows, all of you, so very, very much."

Skooby
08-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Living down here in SW Fla, I am surrounded by OLD people, some are over 100. Said to say, when they fall & break a hip, which is fairly common, they can never recover from that. Once they get in a wheelchair, they never get out of it until they die.

Yeah, I'm here in Naples FL & this statement is dead on. Riding a bike around here is like playing Russian Roulette, only difference being that you might not die playing Russian Roulette.

Skooby
08-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Link to pictures, Ralph needed considerable assistance:

OpIv37
08-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I'm here in Naples FL & this statement is dead on. Riding a bike around here is like playing Russian Roulette, only difference being that you might not die playing Russian Roulette.
Nancy Hicks-Gribble: "where were you?"
Dale Gribble: "Uh, I was at the gun club, playing Russian roullette with the guys."
Nancy: "Didja win, sug?"
Dale: "you aren't that familiar with the game, are you?"

Skooby
08-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Nancy Hicks-Gribble: "where were you?"
Dale Gribble: "Uh, I was at the gun club, playing Russian roullette with the guys."
Nancy: "Didja win, sug?"
Dale: "you aren't that familiar with the game, are you?"

LOL, classic.

BertSquirtgum
08-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Was anyone actually surprised by this? What a waste of bandwith.

Skooby
08-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Was anyone actually surprised by this? What a waste of bandwith.

You knew Ralph was nearly incapacitated ?? That's news to me & I had no idea that his health looks to be failing.

BillsOverDolphins
08-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Was he wearing his bib?