PDA

View Full Version : Remember Russell Wilson?

Cali512
08-07-2012, 06:16 AM
The smaller QB who alot of us really wanted the Bills to get in the 3rd-6th round. He went to Seattle in the 4th and is kicken ass i guess, and could possibly start, over Flynn and Jackson. He was also TJ Grahams QB for a while. I liked him alot and im happy hes having success because from the detail i read bout him, he seems to be a great guy

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.khq.com%2Fstory%2F19207651%2Fseahawks-qb-battle-rookie-russell-wilson-still-in-the-mix&ei=NvkgUKDtEceg2AXGmYHgBA&usg=AFQjCNGXeQwkycY6V93Z4jKWWuTyHXgWHA&sig2=0Nti2ozSWW34ZClsS5QQBQ

ParanoidAndroid
08-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Yep. I was screaming for him. :(

Too early to tell, but I've been hearing really good things as well.

DraftBoy
08-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Let's slow down just a little bit. Do you all remeber Brett Radcliffe (I think that was his name) from the Jets who was crushing it in the preseason for two years straight but now isn't even in the NFL. Doing well in camp means little for QB's early on since they can't get hit. Let's see what happens over the course of the preseason before we start the 'we missed' talk.

Jan Reimers
08-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Let's slow down just a little bit. Do you all remeber Brett Radcliffe (I think that was his name) from the Jets who was crushing it in the preseason for two years straight but now isn't even in the NFL. Doing well in camp means little for QB's early on since they can't get hit. Let's see what happens over the course of the preseason before we start the 'we missed' talk.

C'mon, DB, we're 10 days into training camp already and the kid's obviously the next Peyton Manning/Tom Brady combined. Who needs live hitting and real games? It's obvious he is the NFL's next superstar, so climb on the bandwagon.

justasportsfan
08-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Remember Rob Johnson?

EDS
08-07-2012, 10:38 AM
C'mon, DB, we're 10 days into training camp already and the kid's obviously the next Peyton Manning/Tom Brady combined. Who needs live hitting and real games? It's obvious he is the NFL's next superstar, so climb on the bandwagon.

Based on training camp reviews a couple Bills players have already made the pro bowl, so it is all good!

PTI
08-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Matt Flynn is the starter there hands down, but they are shopping Tarvaris Jackson, who is better than Fitz.

DraftBoy
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Matt Flynn is the starter there hands down, but they are shopping Tarvaris Jackson, who is better than Fitz.

Stop.

There is no bigger Tjax fan that I and he's not better than Fitz.

ParanoidAndroid
08-07-2012, 11:44 AM

WTF? Not even the thread starter said anything remotely to that level. All he said is that he "might start over Flynn and Jackson." So, why the snarky retort?

DraftBoy
08-07-2012, 12:09 PM
WTF? Not even the thread starter said anything remotely to that level. All he said is that he "might start over Flynn and Jackson." So, why the snarky retort?

I think because the article quoted didn't even mention him being in the same breath as either Flynn or Jackson. Therefor the logical leap taken from the article quoted to what was stated in the thread was one hell of a jump. Im just spitballing here though.

Night Train
08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm not making any predictions but I too wanted the guy and will root for him.

djjimkelly
08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
russel wilson is an under 6 foot nobody who was a waste of a draft pick happy it wasnt by us

ParanoidAndroid
08-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Nah. There's been other buzz. Pete Carroll was quoted as saying that he is in the competition for starting QB. Apparently, he's impressed. I'm not usually the type to hype, but I feel like defending the thread starter. Here's another article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1207412-6-rookies-already-turning-heads-early-in-their-nfl-careers#/articles/1207412-6-rookies-already-turning-heads-early-in-their-nfl-careers/page/2

streetkings01
08-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Stop.

There is no bigger Tjax fan that I and he's not better than Fitz.Tavaris Jackson has fans?!?!?!

DraftBoy
08-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Nah. There's been other buzz. Pete Carroll was quoted as saying that he is in the competition for starting QB. Apparently, he's impressed. I'm not usually the type to hype, but I feel like defending the thread starter. Here's another article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1207412-6-rookies-already-turning-heads-early-in-their-nfl-careers#/articles/1207412-6-rookies-already-turning-heads-early-in-their-nfl-careers/page/2

Don't really count B/R and what else is Carroll going to say? The position is far from settled.

I like Wilson, a lot, but whether it's Wilson, Luck, or RGIII we need to slow down and temper our expectations.

- - - Updated - - -

Tavaris Jackson has fans?!?!?!
Guilty as charged.

Cali512
08-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Did you mean to link to a different article? That article made no mention of him kicking ass. Just that he is doing OK enough to be in the mix. "Wilson, though not he favorite for the job, remains in the discussion."

For a 4th round QB, behind a high priced FA QB, and another former 4 year starter for Minnesota, to be able to just be in the mix must mean hes kicking ass, duh. Playing good as a 4th round pick, 3rd stringer, usually wont do ****, he must be playing great to get that type of chance

ParanoidAndroid
08-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Don't really count B/R and what else is Carroll going to say? The position is far from settled.

I like Wilson, a lot, but whether it's Wilson, Luck, or RGIII we need to slow down and temper our expectations

\

Oh fer cryin'...... I made no expectations. I'm just a fan. I think you of all people can relate.

BertSquirtgum
08-07-2012, 01:52 PM
but but but, but I thought he was too short. Oh wait, Drew Brees is 5'11 too.

DraftBoy
08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
\

Oh fer cryin'...... I made no expectations. I'm just a fan. I think you of all people can relate.

Relate to what? B/R issues with credibility after multiple black eyes that they self-inflicted because for a while they were a content farm with no direction but 100's of writers. They are doing some good work now, but unless its one of their nationally credible writers (Dan Levy, Aaron Nagler) it isn't worth much in terms of credibility. Now that Turner has bought the company there should be more good to come from them in the future.

None of that though changes the fact that outside of coach speak and fan conjecture we really have no idea how Wilson is doing. Hence my intial post, just like we shouldn't be overreacting to a poor camp by any of our own QB's thus far there is no reason to overreact to another teams QB's doing well. Let's at least see him in the first preseason game before we assume anything.

better days
08-07-2012, 02:32 PM
russel wilson is an under 6 foot nobody who was a waste of a draft pick happy it wasnt by us

Well, I guess you were a Rob Johnson fan. I was a Flutie fan & I think Wilson has the potential to have a good career. I was all for the Bills drafting him in the 4th or 5th rnd.

Goobylal
08-07-2012, 02:49 PM
but but but, but I thought he was too short. Oh wait, Drew Brees is 5'11 too.
Brees is actually 6' tall and is almost 1-1/2" taller than Wilson. Brees is also the exception, not the rule.

As for Wilson, that he's got a shot at starting bodes ill for Flynn. Jackson I'm not surprised, but Flynn? Good thing he got $10M guaranteed. But I'll need to see Wilson play first before he's anything more than just another Colt McCoy.

BertSquirtgum
08-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Brees is actually 6' tall and is almost 1-1/2" taller than Wilson. Brees is also the exception, not the rule.

As for Wilson, that he's got a shot at starting bodes ill for Flynn. Jackson I'm not surprised, but Flynn? Good thing he got $10M guaranteed. But I'll need to see Wilson play first before he's anything more than just another Colt McCoy.

Nope. They are both 5'11.

Goobylal
08-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Nope. Brees is 6'-1/4" while Wilson is 5'-10-7/8".

DraftBoy
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Some actual pertinent Wilson news. Carroll has announce Matt Flynn will play the entire 1st half of the first preseason game and Wilson the 2nd.

BertSquirtgum
08-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Nope. Brees is 6'-1/4" while Wilson is 5'-10-7/8".

Not correct.

malvado78
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Not correct.

How 'bout this
Wilson - 5'11" (http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson/2535569/profile)
Brees - 6'0" (http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/profile)

They are not both 5'11" or is NFL.com wrong too????

BertSquirtgum
08-07-2012, 04:45 PM
How 'bout this
Wilson - 5'11" (http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson/2535569/profile)
Brees - 6'0" (http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/profile)

They are not both 5'11" or is NFL.com wrong too????

This is correct.

Goobylal
08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
My heights are correct, as taken from their Combine measurements. NFL rounds up or down, so 6'-1/4" becomes 6' and 5'-10-7/8" becomes 5'11". That is all.

better days
08-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Yeah, Hurkey. Brees may be listed at 6' but everyone that has been near him in person has said NO WAY he is 6'. I have heard that from a number of different people.

YardRat
08-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Seattle's defense sucks ass...that's why their QB's are all looking good.

better days
08-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Seattle's defense sucks ass...that's why their QB's are all looking good.

Seattle actually has a good defense, however the QB is not hit in TC, that is why Trent Edwards always looked so good in practice. We will see how Wilson does in a few days when he has to face real pressure in a preseason game.......but I would not bet against him.

Mr. Miyagi
08-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I like Russell Wilson. I wanted him for our draft. I think he's going to be a good QB. But no I'm not convinced he's the next Peyton Manning (Andrew Luck is).

PTI you need to STFU about TJax being better than Fitz. You have no idea what you're talking about so the more you talk the dumber you make yourself look.

Everyone else chill the hell out about how we missed out on Wilson being such a diamond in the rough. We don't know anything yet for Christ's sake.

ServoBillieves
08-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Some actual pertinent Wilson news. Carroll has announce Matt Flynn will play the entire 1st half of the first preseason game and Wilson the 2nd.

Wow. No chance for Tavaris... that's upsetting.

As for rookie QB's, I'm still a fan of Chandler Harnish... Not actually joking with that either. I know he was Mr. I but I wanted him to be a Bill.

Figster
08-07-2012, 10:50 PM

Doug Flutie was listed at 5'10 and thats probably stretching him an inch or two ,not saying Fluties in the same category as Brees.

better days
08-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Doug Flutie was listed at 5'10 and thats probably stretching him an inch or two ,not saying Fluties in the same category as Brees.

If not for Flutie, Brees may not have had a shot to play in the NFL because of his height. Flutie proved a short guy could be successsful in todays NFL. And who drafted Brees? The same team that signed Flutie as a FA when Buffalo let him loose.

ZAZusmc03
08-08-2012, 12:01 AM
I think Bradham will have a good career as a Bill, so I can't say I'm all that upset.

Goobylal
08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Matt Flynn is starting. So that means that he has the upper hand.

Goobylal
08-08-2012, 03:31 PM
If not for Flutie, Brees may not have had a shot to play in the NFL because of his height. Flutie proved a short guy could be successsful in todays NFL. And who drafted Brees? The same team that signed Flutie as a FA when Buffalo let him loose.
Brees wouldn't have fallen past the Bills at #46 overall. And he would have eventually proved himself.

better days
08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Brees wouldn't have fallen past the Bills at #46 overall. And he would have eventually proved himself.

Well, only because Flutie already proved a short QB could be successfull in todays NFL. Remember Flutie played for the Bills before the Chargers.

Goobylal
08-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Well, only because Flutie already proved a short QB could be successfull in todays NFL. Remember Flutie played for the Bills before the Chargers.
So you're saying that if Flutie had not played in the NFL and had a couple good seasons, Brees would never have been drafted? I disagree. The guy was a stud in college and would have definitely been drafted and given a shot to compete.

better days
08-08-2012, 10:13 PM
So you're saying that if Flutie had not played in the NFL and had a couple good seasons, Brees would never have been drafted? I disagree. The guy was a stud in college and would have definitely been drafted and given a shot to compete.

He may have been drafted in the 6th or 7th rnd, but he would not have had a REAL chance to prove himself before he was cut. It took him a while to do anything in S.D.

Goobylal
08-08-2012, 10:24 PM
He may have been drafted in the 6th or 7th rnd, but he would not have had a REAL chance to prove himself before he was cut. It took him a while to do anything in S.D.
Flutie only had about a full season's worth of games of success. By the mid-point of '99, he was figured-out. If anything, he showed that being short is an impediment.

Mr. Pink
08-08-2012, 10:30 PM
I'll try to remember him in a few years when he's no longer in the league.

Bert102176
08-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I remember he never had an OL in front of him if he did I think he would of been decent.

DraftBoy
08-10-2012, 07:06 AM
I remember he never had an OL in front of him if he did I think he would of been decent.

He had arguably the best OL in the nation last season in front of him.

better days
08-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Flutie only had about a full season's worth of games of success. By the mid-point of '99, he was figured-out. If anything, he showed that being short is an impediment.

It's not that he was figured out, it was he was OLD. He was 37 years old in 1999. I think even Brady & Peyton Manning are going to start looking AVERAGE as they start to get up there in age.

ParanoidAndroid
08-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Bump

Mr. Miyagi
08-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I still like him a lot. He was great in Wisconsin.