PDA

View Full Version : Day 11: Gailey upset with 'glorified walkthrough'

YardRat
08-07-2012, 07:43 PM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/08/day-11-gailey-upset-with-glorified-walkthrough.html

Twenty-four hours earlier, Buffalo Bills coach Chan Gailey couldn't have been much happier with his practice. The pace was swift. There was little downtime. Players were talkative. They gave second efforts and dove for passes. They were in the moment.

Gailey's opinion went south this afternoon at St. John Fisher College. The Bills weren't in pads for their final training-camp session before Thursday night's preseason opener, and their competitive edge plummeted.

"Mentally, we were sort of into it," Gailey said. "This was the first time in quite a while we have not been in pads, and I thought guys thought it was a glorified walkthrough.
"We've got to make sure we learn how to practice without pads on. So we've got to up the tempo with that."

TigerJ
08-07-2012, 09:45 PM
This just reinforces the positive feelings I have about Chan Gailey as coach of the Bills. I think he has a lot of respect for his players, but above all, he's honest and willing to call a spade a spade. He didn't like the way his team practiced, and if he was willing to tell the media, you can be pretty sure he was willing to give his team an earful. I believe this team is hungry enough and respects Gailey enough that they take his words to heart. I'd be willing to bet he gets more effort out of his next no pads practice.

YardRat
08-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Young team, still have a lot to learn.

Buddo
08-09-2012, 02:03 AM
While undoubtedly true, if they aren't ever called to account for it, they won't learn. ;)
I also think Gailey does a very good job in respect of challenging his players to improve, and this would be a good case in point.
Another side to this, would be that guys need to realise, that if they don't keep at it, they won't remain on the roster.
With Gailey, the work ethic is pretty much a mind set that has to be had. It's pretty much fundamental to how he believes improvement comes, irrespective of talent. You only have to see his comments about not knowing any HOFer who wasn't a hard worker, to see that.

kishoph
08-09-2012, 03:12 AM

With Gailey, I think they're in good hands though. It doesn't seem like Gailey with let them get too full of themselves. I'm very happy with the direction Gailey has the team going.

justasportsfan
08-09-2012, 10:43 AM
no cheeseburgers?