PDA

View Full Version : Bills Camp Report - Day 12, 8/11

DraftBoy
08-12-2012, 10:01 AM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/08/camp-report-day-12-811/

The Buffalo Bills held the first much-needed practice following Thursday’s preseason game against the Redskins last night to another packed night crowd.

Before I dive into the happenings at camp, I want to say a quick thing about the preseason game.

ddaryl
08-12-2012, 10:28 AM
a very good analogy on the 1st team O for the 1st preseason game.. This is exactly what I was thinking, it was merely a chance to try some stuff, to allow Fitz to call some plays and get a feel. I honestly thought he called good plays... Just didn't connect.

Did anyone expect WA to bring the blitz regularly during week #1.

DraftBoy
08-12-2012, 10:45 AM
a very good analogy on the 1st team O for the 1st preseason game.. This is exactly what I was thinking, it was merely a chance to try some stuff, to allow Fitz to call some plays and get a feel. I honestly thought he called good plays... Just didn't connect.

Did anyone expect WA to bring the blitz regularly during week #1.

Given the scheme is an aggressive 34 yes. 34 teams are always going to blitz, they have to otherwise they are only bringing 3 down lineman at any one time and then its 5 OL v. 3 DL.

We did not see Washington do a lot of zone blitz where the LB's come and the DE drops, they didn't do a lot to disguise what they were doing so it was pretty vanilla as well.

ddaryl
08-12-2012, 11:13 AM
they seem to have brought 5 every time .. and they did have a few blitzes that were delayed or came from outside if I recall correctly.

None the less it was a good chance for the O to be tested this way. They play against the same 4-3 in practice so facing WA 3-4 was an adjustment, and probably a bigger one for a rookie like Glenn who faces our 4-3 every day

DraftBoy
08-12-2012, 11:15 AM
they seem to have brought 5 every time .. and they did have a few blitzes that were delayed or came from outside if I recall correctly.

None the less it was a good chance for the O to be tested this way. They play against the same 4-3 in practice so facing WA 3-4 was an adjustment, and probably a bigger one for a rookie like Glenn who faces our 4-3 every day

Especially good to see since Miami and the Jets play a 34.

TigerJ
08-12-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm sure there is some merit to the"trying something" theory. The thing is, poor execution is poor execution whether you're going vanilla or trying something. Chan Gailey wasn't happy with the results on Thursday night, and I'm not either. However, whatever the explanation for the poor play on Thursday night, the fact remains that there is no correlation between preseason and regular season. There are areas where the Bills need to get better, but would have been true had they won on Thursday night too, and there is no reason they can't get better, and eliminate penalties in particular, by the time regular season starts.

Figster
08-12-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm sure there is some merit to the"trying something" theory. The thing is, poor execution is poor execution whether you're going vanilla or trying something. Chan Gailey wasn't happy with the results on Thursday night, and I'm not either. However, whatever the explanation for the poor play on Thursday night, the fact remains that there is no correlation between preseason and regular season. There are areas where the Bills need to get better, but would have been true had they won on Thursday night too, and there is no reason they can't get better, and eliminate penalties in particular, by the time regular season starts.

well said Tiger J