PDA

View Full Version : Back still a bother for Bills DT Torell Troup

Meathead
08-13-2012, 07:36 PM
PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP) -- The tears won't come until later, because Torell Troup initially does his best to keep his emotions in check, discussing how far he's come after having season-ending back surgery.

''I feel it's progressed pretty well,'' the Buffalo Bills defensive tackle said.

What Troup says in his next breath is more revealing, by sharing how much pain he's been in since December, when doctors fused two discs to repair a spinal fracture.

''I've been in constant pain for eight months,'' Troup said. ''I didn't think it was going to be so hard, but it is. So I've got to deal with it.''

The pain has become so constant and his rehabilitation going so slowly that Troup is now second-guessing why he had the operation in the first place - even though his doctors recommended it was necessary.

''I honestly wish I could go back and I wouldn't have had surgery,'' Troup said. ''If I could go back, yeah, I probably wouldn't have wanted to deal with this. It's just a lot.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/back-still-bother-bills-dt-221107232--nfl.html

sorry to say it but hes probably done like a dinner

im pretty sure his pain was in his lumbar region, and if a fusion is still hurting him that bad then its likely never going to get better. they offered me that surgery and after doing some research i declined because the success rate is so low. it starts out at only 50% (!) in the first couple years, then about 30% after five, and an abysmal 7% after ten. if it doesnt work right away (three months recovery just to work at a desk job) then its unlikely to ever work out

tough break

BertSquirtgum
08-13-2012, 07:50 PM
He needs to be cut. Time for the Bills to cut their losses.

Lefty2985
08-13-2012, 07:59 PM
I think he made improvements but with his back hindering him all the time it's time to move on. I like heard as a back up DT

YardRat
08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Still think he might get IR'd before outright released, but they do have enough DT's that they can afford to cut him.

more cowbell
08-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Bust. Next in line...

Mr. Pink
08-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Ended up being a wasted pick.

Night Train
08-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Injury settlements and future endeavor best wishes coming for Troup & McGee.

ddaryl
08-14-2012, 07:54 AM
I think IR is a possibility, but he is obviously not playing this year.. maybe never

k-oneputt
08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Don't try to outthink the room.
Usually the best and smartest pick is the obvious one sitting right in front of you.
Cody over Troup.
This pick still had Modrak's mitts all over it even though Nix had just arrived imo.

OpIv37
08-14-2012, 08:13 AM
I was about to give the FO the benefit of the doubt on this pick because injuries are unpredictable, but I forgot Cody was still on the board.

Our drafting seems to be improving, but the 2010 draft is going to go down as an epic fail.

1 9 C.J. Spiller RB Clemson- showed flashes last year, could still turn out to be a good pick.
2 41 Torell Troup DT UCF- Bust- hampered by injuries
3 72 Alex Carrington DE Arkansas State- Done nothing so far
4 107 Marcus Easley WR Connecticut- Done nothing so far
5 140 Ed Wang OT Virginia Tech- Cut
6 178 Arthur Moats DE James Madison- Could be a starter
6 192 Danny Batten DE South Dakota State- Could be a back-up
7 209 Levi Brown QB Troy- Cut
7 216 Kyle Calloway OT Iowa- Cut

So far, Spiller and Moats are the only ones who have contributed. The jury is still out on Carrington and Batten but I'm not holding my breath.

better days
08-14-2012, 08:23 AM
I was about to give the FO the benefit of the doubt on this pick because injuries are unpredictable, but I forgot Cody was still on the board.

Our drafting seems to be improving, but the 2010 draft is going to go down as an epic fail.

1 9 C.J. Spiller RB Clemson- showed flashes last year, could still turn out to be a good pick.
2 41 Torell Troup DT UCF- Bust- hampered by injuries
3 72 Alex Carrington DE Arkansas State- Done nothing so far
4 107 Marcus Easley WR Connecticut- Done nothing so far
5 140 Ed Wang OT Virginia Tech- Cut
6 178 Arthur Moats DE James Madison- Could be a starter
6 192 Danny Batten DE South Dakota State- Could be a back-up
7 209 Levi Brown QB Troy- Cut
7 216 Kyle Calloway OT Iowa- Cut

So far, Spiller and Moats are the only ones who have contributed. The jury is still out on Carrington and Batten but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, Moats looks like he may be a starting OLB. Easley if not the #2 should at least see playing time this year. Carrington may become a good backup. CJ is the prize of that draft & looks like he could be a great player for this team. The Bills have had many drafts that were an epic fail, this draft is not one of them.

k-oneputt
08-14-2012, 08:36 AM
How can this 2010 draft NOT be considered an epic fail ?????

They reached for every player except maybe Moats who looks nothing more then an average run of the mill NFL lb.

Batten's not making this team. Easley and Carrington will barely hang on, Maybe.

Troup at best get's ir'd for the year.

Spiller has talent but is a rb and was overdrafted at #9.

This draft sucked.

ddaryl
08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
the 2010 draft was the last draft before Nix made some big changes to the scouting department.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/5/5/1459907/bills-gm-nix-continues-front

Given the history of poor drafts prior to 2010 and that the 2011 and 2012 drafts appear tighter on paper.. Hopefully these 2010 types of drafts are in our rear view mirror

Lexwhat
08-14-2012, 09:10 AM

They reached for every player except maybe Moats who looks nothing more then an average run of the mill NFL lb.

Batten's not making this team. Easley and Carrington will barely hang on, Maybe.

This draft sucked.

Any draft that hits on its 1st round pick is not to be considered an "epic bust." Who cares what position CJ Spiller was picked at? Almost all teams need more than 1 capable running back (unless you're New England or Green Bay). And besides, Fred Jackson isn't gonna play forever.

With that being said, any reasonable NFL fan will give a player up to 3 years post-draft to be evaluated. I think Spiller will be a special player. Troup could have been good if it weren't for his back injury, so I don't blame Buddy Nix for that one (Troup's career is likely over now)...

Alex Carrington and Marcus Easley deserve this year to showcase their talents. Carrington (at this point) seems like a career back-up, and Easley I have no idea (but at this point I'm not expecting anything from him).

Arthur Moats seems like a solid player, and getting a Starter out of a 6th round pick is good.

The rest are busts.

All in all, since we hit on Spiller / Moats, with the jury still out on Carrington and Easley, I give the draft a C+ so far, but can give a better grade once this season is over. It can either stay the same or improve from a C+ (depending on Carrington and Easley), so calling it an "epic bust" is inaccurate and not sensible.

mayotm
08-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Well, Moats looks like he may be a starting OLB. Easley if not the #2 should at least see playing time this year. Carrington may become a good backup. CJ is the prize of that draft & looks like he could be a great player for this team. The Bills have had many drafts that were an epic fail, this draft is not one of them.There is a very good chance that Easley doesn't make the team. Right now, he's definitely behind Johnson, Jones, Nelson, Graham and Hagan. Recent reports have him falling behind Roosevelt and Martin in a battle for the #6 WR if they keep 6. I doubt they do when Smith and Spiller can play WR in a pinch.

Night Train
08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
There is a very good chance that Easley doesn't make the team. Right now, he's definitely behind Johnson, Jones, Nelson, Graham and Hagan. Recent reports have him falling behind Roosevelt and Martin in a battle for the #6 WR if they keep 6. I doubt they do when Smith and Spiller can play WR in a pinch.

Agreed and if they decide to keep Potter for kickoffs (they should), then this post makes total sense.

k-oneputt
08-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Any draft that hits on its 1st round pick is not to be considered an "epic bust." Who cares what position CJ Spiller was picked at? Almost all teams need more than 1 capable running back (unless you're New England or Green Bay). And besides, Fred Jackson isn't gonna play forever.

With that being said, any reasonable NFL fan will give a player up to 3 years post-draft to be evaluated. I think Spiller will be a special player. Troup could have been good if it weren't for his back injury, so I don't blame Buddy Nix for that one (Troup's career is likely over now)...

Alex Carrington and Marcus Easley deserve this year to showcase their talents. Carrington (at this point) seems like a career back-up, and Easley I have no idea (but at this point I'm not expecting anything from him).

Arthur Moats seems like a solid player, and getting a Starter out of a 6th round pick is good.

The rest are busts.

All in all, since we hit on Spiller / Moats, with the jury still out on Carrington and Easley, I give the draft a C+ so far, but can give a better grade once this season is over. It can either stay the same or improve from a C+ (depending on Carrington and Easley), so calling it an "epic bust" is inaccurate and not sensible.

You don't waste a top-10 pick on a rb in today's NFL, shouldn't have to explain this even though Spiller is talented.
Carrington and Easley are 50/50 imo of even making a team.
We picked the wrong NT in Troup whether he was healthy or not. {And he had back issues in college}. Bad pick.
Moats may turn into an average player. Jury is still out on that also.

As of today I give that draft a "D-" and that's only because of the talent Spiller has.

Ed
08-14-2012, 11:10 AM
That's a tough break for Troup. I feel bad for the guy. If they can put him on IR that's probably the best option. It would give him the opportunity to fully rehab and not put any pressure on him to rush things in order to get back. The salary cap info I've looked at also seems to indicate that the Bills wouldn't save any money by releasing him this year. His cap value for this season would just turn to dead money, so they're on the hook either way.

OpIv37
08-14-2012, 11:37 AM

The rest are busts.

First, I wouldn't go so far as to say that hitting on the 1st round pick is all it takes from keeping a draft from being a bust. A team that consistently hits on first round picks but whiffs on the rest of the draft isn't going to be very good.

Second, I wouldn't assume CJ Spiller is a "hit" just yet. He had a few good games in two full seasons. It looks promising, but 1/2 a season is too little.

Third, 3 of 9 players on the draft couldn't even survive 2 seasons. 1 (Easley) has yet to be on the field and is on the bubble to even make the team. 1 has made minimal contributions and is on the bubble to make the team (Troup) 2 have made minimal contributions and will probably continue to do so (Batten and Carrington). 1 is likely to be a solid contributor (Moats), and 1 is likely to be a star (Spiller).

So, 5 of 9 players from the draft could potentially be off the team before the 3rd season even starts, and we are unlikely to get more than 2 starters and 2 backups out of 9 picks. And yet, you say it can only go UP from a C+?

Please. This is a perfect example of Bills fans accepting mediocrity.

Jan Reimers
08-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Troup is likely to be gone soon. He has no value if he can't play.

better days
08-14-2012, 12:11 PM
You don't waste a top-10 pick on a rb in today's NFL, shouldn't have to explain this even though Spiller is talented.
Carrington and Easley are 50/50 imo of even making a team.
We picked the wrong NT in Troup whether he was healthy or not. {And he had back issues in college}. Bad pick.
Moats may turn into an average player. Jury is still out on that also.

As of today I give that draft a "D-" and that's only because of the talent Spiller has.

Well, the Browns "wasted" a much higher pick on a RB this year. Yeah, I know it's the Browns...........STILL.

better days
08-14-2012, 12:18 PM

This draft sucked.

Batton was a SIXTH Rd pick, he doesn't make the team? SO WHAT! Troup looks like he suffered a career ending injury................not the first high draft pick in the NFL to do so. Carrington a third rnd pick will make the team. Easley a FOURTH rnd pick not only will make this team, he could be a starter.

Spiller is not just a RB, he can return kicks & act as a receiver both on the line & coming out of the backfield. Time will tell if he was worth the #9 pick or not...........too soon to say.

What sucked is your post, not the draft.

better days
08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
There is a very good chance that Easley doesn't make the team. Right now, he's definitely behind Johnson, Jones, Nelson, Graham and Hagan. Recent reports have him falling behind Roosevelt and Martin in a battle for the #6 WR if they keep 6. I doubt they do when Smith and Spiller can play WR in a pinch.

No other WR on the Bills has the size & speed of Easley. He like no other WR except Stevie, has the potential to be a game changer. I would bet he makes this team.

Mr. Pink
08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Well, the Browns "wasted" a much higher pick on a RB this year. Yeah, I know it's the Browns...........STILL.

I agree on the wasted pick. A guy coming off knee surgery 3rd overall? Horrible pick. There's a reason why the Browns are bottom feeders, they don't draft worth crap.

k-oneputt
08-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Actually the Browns pick was a stupid pick in todays league. As you can see he is already hurt and it's now a league were multiple runners carry the load. It's also been proven that you can find good runners later in the draft or even free agency that can get the job done. Durabilty for runners is a big issue. So runners with the 3rd pick in today's league is stupid, thus the Browns have been right on par with the Bills for the last decade.

Carrington and Easley may make the team but both are far from locks and both have done next to nothing in two years. I hope they get something out of even one of them.

mayotm
08-14-2012, 01:01 PM
No other WR on the Bills has the size & speed of Easley. He like no other WR except Stevie, has the potential to be a game changer. I would bet he makes this team.He's not producing. There have been various outlets reporting it. You can choose to ignore those reports if you want. Having size and speed is great, but doesn't matter if he's not producing. As of now, I don't see him making the team. I hope I'm wrong and he turns things around.

Ed
08-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Not only did the Browns use the 3rd overall pick on a RB, but they traded up one spot to do so.

MikeInRoch
08-14-2012, 01:57 PM
I love it when the GM gets blamed for an injury. "Dammit! Draft players who won't get hurt!"

OpIv37
08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I love it when the GM gets blamed for an injury. "Dammit! Draft players who won't get hurt!"

He should have taken Cody and then the injury wouldn't have mattered. And many of us said that long before the injury.

MikeInRoch
08-14-2012, 02:07 PM
He should have taken Cody and then the injury wouldn't have mattered. And many of us said that long before the injury.

Taking the wrong player from a talent/position/existing problem is fair criticism. But I hear a lot of "blame the GM for a guy not working out" on here even when it's because of injury.

Meathead
08-14-2012, 02:10 PM
i really dont get this idea that spiller wasnt a good pick. seems to me hes shown hes a dynamic playmaker. granted he hasnt had a lot of chances because hes been behind the best back since thurmal, but when given the chance later last season he shined. hes a speedy elusive runner, catches the ball well, has dramatically improved his blocking and ball security, and even runs all the wr routes

. i think hes ready to really erupt

certainly you can make the case that they could have used that pick for another position but you can also make a case that he was the bpa at that point. freddie is bound to hit the wall very soon, probably this season in fact, and the spiller pick should become enormous at that point, considering what a weapon he should be for a long time here

at the very worst id give that pick an A-

looks like moats is going to end up starting so thats a big win for that draft. carrington should be in the dl rotation this season so thats at least a mild success. easley is a big question whether he even makes the team but if he does thats a plus. the only team batten is going to make is the night shift at tgifridays so thats a bust in progress. and you cant really hold the troup failure against them because i dont think they had any idea about his back problem becoming a career killer issue

so overall id give that draft anywhere from a C- to a B- depending on how many of the ifs mentioned actually hit

better days
08-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Cody was a FAT lazy sob who couldn't get out of his own way when drafted. He would have appeared to be much more likely to be injured than Troup at the time of the draft.

better days
08-14-2012, 09:58 PM
He's not producing. There have been various outlets reporting it. You can choose to ignore those reports if you want. Having size and speed is great, but doesn't matter if he's not producing. As of now, I don't see him making the team. I hope I'm wrong and he turns things around.

Well, how much did Stevie Johnson produce in his first two years? I would give Easley at least another year & I would bet the Bills FO will as well.

k-oneputt
08-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Cody was a FAT lazy sob who couldn't get out of his own way when drafted. He would have appeared to be much more likely to be injured than Troup at the time of the draft.

Yeah Cody may look like hell in a bathing suit but the guy plays and does what he's supposed to do. Look into his last years season in Baltimore.

Troup is going to be done and Cody will keep plugging the middle of Balts defense with his fat ass.

I know, I know Troup was another of Modraks dumbass were smarter then you picks. I would love to see were he had those two ranked on his comical draft board.

better days
08-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah Cody may look like hell in a bathing suit but the guy plays and does what he's supposed to do. Look into his last years season in Baltimore.

Troup is going to be done and Cody will keep plugging the middle of Balts defense with his fat ass.

I know, I know Troup was another of Modraks dumbass were smarter then you picks. I would love to see were he had those two ranked on his comical draft board.

I am talking pre draft. I saw plenty of games Cody played in the SEC & I am telling you, he could not get out of his own way. He was so out of shape, he could not play more than 2 or 3 plays in a row, he would have to go to the sideline for a breather. A 3-4 player, he would not have fit the 4-3 the Bills are running now.

X-Era
08-15-2012, 05:52 AM
I didn't agree with where they took him. But, that's not to say we shouldn't have taken him at all. If we had we still might be sitting here talking about the same thing.

Troup was draft-able. I felt he belonged in the 4th or 5th round.

He hasn't become what we would have hoped. So, you move on from him. I like that our depth is such that we can handle a loss like this without it making a major impact on our future.

Plenty of drafted players don't make it in the NFL and Troup may still become a decent backup. But, it's time to move on from him IMO.

OpIv37
08-15-2012, 07:14 AM
i really dont get this idea that spiller wasnt a good pick. seems to me hes shown hes a dynamic playmaker. granted he hasnt had a lot of chances because hes been behind the best back since thurmal, but when given the chance later last season he shined. hes a speedy elusive runner, catches the ball well, has dramatically improved his blocking and ball security, and even runs all the wr routes

. i think hes ready to really erupt

certainly you can make the case that they could have used that pick for another position but you can also make a case that he was the bpa at that point. freddie is bound to hit the wall very soon, probably this season in fact, and the spiller pick should become enormous at that point, considering what a weapon he should be for a long time here

at the very worst id give that pick an A-

looks like moats is going to end up starting so thats a big win for that draft. carrington should be in the dl rotation this season so thats at least a mild success. easley is a big question whether he even makes the team but if he does thats a plus. the only team batten is going to make is the night shift at tgifridays so thats a bust in progress. and you cant really hold the troup failure against them because i dont think they had any idea about his back problem becoming a career killer issue

so overall id give that draft anywhere from a C- to a B- depending on how many of the ifs mentioned actually hit

This makes no sense. Spiller has had 1/2 a good season in 2 years, at RB no less: the position that is typically the easiest adjustment from college to the NFL. There is absolutely no reason for the season and a half of adjustment period. Every year, some rookie RB comes in and shreds the league, and an RB picked as high as Spiller should be that guy.

In addition, he could proceed to do nothing this year, in which case all we would have gotten from a very high pick would be 1/2 of a season (in which we lost every game but 1, no less). Granted, I don't think that's likely, but your argument seems predicated on assuming that Spiller continues to play at the level that he finished at last season, and at this point I think it's far too soon to make that assumption.

3 guys from the 2010 draft are already off the team. If Easley and/or Troup fails to make the team this year, then the draft should be no HIGHER than a C- regardless of what Spiller does.

k-oneputt
08-15-2012, 07:36 AM
I am talking pre draft. I saw plenty of games Cody played in the SEC & I am telling you, he could not get out of his own way. He was so out of shape, he could not play more than 2 or 3 plays in a row, he would have to go to the sideline for a breather. A 3-4 player, he would not have fit the 4-3 the Bills are running now.

Well I saw him play all year for that Bama defense and I don't know what you were watching because he was a dominate player. I do agree he is a better 3-4 fit but at the time we were a 3-4 team. Either way I would take him today to rotate in with Dareus and K. Williams.

better days
08-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Well I saw him play all year for that Bama defense and I don't know what you were watching because he was a dominate player. I do agree he is a better 3-4 fit but at the time we were a 3-4 team. Either way I would take him today to rotate in with Dareus and K. Williams.

I don't know what you were watching. He could not run down a play. if the play came to him, then yeah he could eat up space. He was hardly dominate or he would have been drafted MUCH higher. If you would want him to play in the Bills 4-3, it's a good thing you are not a GM, although I will admit he has lost weight & is a good 3-4 player now.

k-oneputt
08-15-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't know what you were watching. He could not run down a play. if the play came to him, then yeah he could eat up space. He was hardly dominate or he would have been drafted MUCH higher. If you would want him to play in the Bills 4-3, it's a good thing you are not a GM, although I will admit he has lost weight & is a good 3-4 player now.

He wasn't suppose to run down a play. You got it right the second time, eat up space and blockers and push the pocket. He had NFL lbers behind him running down the play. He got drafted where he did because he was out of shape at the combine, stupid move by him but he played well last season.

better days
08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
He wasn't suppose to run down a play. You got it right the second time, eat up space and blockers and push the pocket. He had NFL lbers behind him running down the play. He got drafted where he did because he was out of shape at the combine, stupid move by him but he played well last season.

He got drafted where he did because he was out of shape his entire College career. Yes at Bama he could eat up space because he was so BIG, but he was so out of shape he had to leave the field OFTEN to catch his breath. I can still see him in my mind on the sideline sucking air in, unable to catch his breath.

He has gotten in much better shape since being drafted. Ray Lewis probably had a talk with him. The Bills had nobody like Lewis on the team & who knows if he would ever have done that in Buffalo. Aside from that, Codys game as we agree is to eat up space. Even at the time of the draft, the Bills wanted to play a combination 3-4 & 4-3. They wanted players that could penitrate like Kyle Williams or Marcell Dareus in the 3-4. Cody was not & never will be that kind of player. He was not & is not a good fit for the Bills Defense, but he fits the Ravens very well.

better days
08-15-2012, 08:45 AM
This makes no sense. Spiller has had 1/2 a good season in 2 years, at RB no less: the position that is typically the easiest adjustment from college to the NFL. There is absolutely no reason for the season and a half of adjustment period. Every year, some rookie RB comes in and shreds the league, and an RB picked as high as Spiller should be that guy.

In addition, he could proceed to do nothing this year, in which case all we would have gotten from a very high pick would be 1/2 of a season (in which we lost every game but 1, no less). Granted, I don't think that's likely, but your argument seems predicated on assuming that Spiller continues to play at the level that he finished at last season, and at this point I think it's far too soon to make that assumption.

3 guys from the 2010 draft are already off the team. If Easley and/or Troup fails to make the team this year, then the draft should be no HIGHER than a C- regardless of what Spiller does.

Spiller spent his first year as a return man & receiver. He hardly played RB at all. If Easley can become the next Stevie Johnson which he has the potential to do, Spiller continues to play as well as he did after Freddie got injured & Moats becomes a starting OLB, that draft should get an A. Too soon to call. We will know much more about that draft after this year.

mayotm
08-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Well, how much did Stevie Johnson produce in his first two years? I would give Easley at least another year & I would bet the Bills FO will as well.Here are several comments on Easley from Joe Buscaglia over the past three days:

- The more I watch Marcus Easley struggle in practices, the less shocked I'll be if they elect to cut him when we get to that point of the season. He has not shown the consistency Chan Gailey has looked for, and has been passed on the depth chart by both Derek Hagan and T.J. Graham. For Easley to make this team, he'll have to convince the Bills' coaching staff with solid play that they need to keep six receivers. Don't count out Ruvell Martin or David Clowney for that, either. They're right in that second-tier with Easley. If you had to ask me right now if he makes the team, I'd probably say yes. In no way am I confident in that statement, however. He has much to prove.

- One of the men that has passed Easley is rookie T.J. Graham. He had the play of the day on a post pattern. He got in behind both his defender and the safety, concentrated after the throw was deflected in the pouring rain and brought in the reception. He turned it up field and took it to the end zone. His biggest challenge will be knowing the playbook inside and out, but the raw talent is there. He desperately needs to make some plays in the next couple of pre-season games.

-That also means Marcus Easley is dropping down the depth chart. Already passed by both Derek Hagan and T.J. Graham, Easley didn't even see the field during the first and second-team reps in team drills, while Martin, David Clowney and Naaman Roosevelt all got in with the two's. At this point, Easley looks like he's ninth on the depth chart -- ahead of only Kamar Aiken and Derek Session. A lack in the results category on this team will do that to a player, even one with Easley's size and speed. Those thinking he may get a free pass because of his perceived "potential" may need to wake up and smell the coffee. He's in major jeopardy of not making this team, especially since he has little to no value on special teams.

Keep holding onto the fantasy that Easley turns into the next Stevie Johnson. Again, I would love it if Easley turned things around, but it seems extremely unlikely at this point. He desperately needs to make some plays during the next few pre-season games.

better days
08-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Here are several comments on Easley from Joe Buscaglia over the past three days:

- The more I watch Marcus Easley struggle in practices, the less shocked I'll be if they elect to cut him when we get to that point of the season. He has not shown the consistency Chan Gailey has looked for, and has been passed on the depth chart by both Derek Hagan and T.J. Graham. For Easley to make this team, he'll have to convince the Bills' coaching staff with solid play that they need to keep six receivers. Don't count out Ruvell Martin or David Clowney for that, either. They're right in that second-tier with Easley. If you had to ask me right now if he makes the team, I'd probably say yes. In no way am I confident in that statement, however. He has much to prove.

- One of the men that has passed Easley is rookie T.J. Graham. He had the play of the day on a post pattern. He got in behind both his defender and the safety, concentrated after the throw was deflected in the pouring rain and brought in the reception. He turned it up field and took it to the end zone. His biggest challenge will be knowing the playbook inside and out, but the raw talent is there. He desperately needs to make some plays in the next couple of pre-season games.

-That also means Marcus Easley is dropping down the depth chart. Already passed by both Derek Hagan and T.J. Graham, Easley didn't even see the field during the first and second-team reps in team drills, while Martin, David Clowney and Naaman Roosevelt all got in with the two's. At this point, Easley looks like he's ninth on the depth chart -- ahead of only Kamar Aiken and Derek Session. A lack in the results category on this team will do that to a player, even one with Easley's size and speed. Those thinking he may get a free pass because of his perceived "potential" may need to wake up and smell the coffee. He's in major jeopardy of not making this team, especially since he has little to no value on special teams.

Keep holding onto the fantasy that Easley turns into the next Stevie Johnson. Again, I would love it if Easley turned things around, but it seems extremely unlikely at this point. He desperately needs to make some plays during the next few pre-season games.

Well, when I hear those comments come from Chan or Buddy, I will say goodbye to the fantasy of Easley turning into the next Stevie Johnson. From Joe Buscaglia, I will continue to believe the Bills still see the potential Ealey has. Easley may not even make the team this year, but if not I would expect to see him go to the PS.

mayotm
08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Well, when I hear those comments come from Chan or Buddy, I will say goodbye to the fantasy of Easley turning into the next Stevie Johnson. From Joe Buscaglia, I will continue to believe the Bills still see the potential Ealey has. Easley may not even make the team this year, but if not I would expect to see him go to the PS.Buscaglia is at practice every day so he certainly has more insight than you or I do. Chan's comments on Easley certainly haven't been overly positive. Also, suggesting he may make the practice squad is quite a bit different than your original stance in this thread suggesting he was still competing for the #2 spot.

better days
08-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Buscaglia is at practice every day so he certainly has more insight than you or I do. Chan's comments on Easley certainly haven't been overly positive. Also, suggesting he may make the practice squad is quite a bit different than your original stance in this thread suggesting he was still competing for the #2 spot.

He will be competing for the #2 spot until the end of preseason IMO. I said before, I would give Easley at least one more year to show what he has. If he loses out on a numbers game because of all the WRs the Bills have, I would expect to see him land a spot on the PS. If Easley is not ready this year to take that step, a year on the PS & hopefully he makes it next year.

It would be foolish to just write off a guy with Easleys size speed & talent after only 2 years especially since he was injured with injuries that won't affect him in the future during those 2 years.

Ed
08-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Let's face it, maybe Cody would have been the better pick at this point, but there were much better players available than either of them with that 2nd round pick. The 2010 draft looks pretty bad right now. I still like Spiller and think he'll be a dynamic playmaker going forward, but unless Moats, Easley, and Carrington can somehow salvage some respectability out of that class, the 2010 draft could end up being one of our worst. The good news though, is that Nix got rid of Modrak pretty soon after that draft and then proceeded to bring in a lot of new scouts and promote Whaley and what not. The difference between our 2011 and 2012 drafts compared to that 2010 draft is night and day.

mayotm
08-15-2012, 10:02 AM
He will be competing for the #2 spot until the end of preseason IMO. I said before, I would give Easley at least one more year to show what he has. If he loses out on a numbers game because of all the WRs the Bills have, I would expect to see him land a spot on the PS. If Easley is not ready this year to take that step, a year on the PS & hopefully he makes it next year.

It would be foolish to just write off a guy with Easleys size speed & talent after only 2 years especially since he was injured with injuries that won't affect him in the future during those 2 years.A player that is currently not even getting second team reps is no longer a serious candidate for the #2 WR role. He's in a major battle for a roster spot. I'm sorry that you can't see that. Again, I hope he comes out the next few weeks and lights it up. That would be fantastic. However, what I hope and reality are two different things.

better days
08-15-2012, 10:26 AM
A player that is currently not even getting second team reps is no longer a serious candidate for the #2 WR role. He's in a major battle for a roster spot. I'm sorry that you can't see that. Again, I hope he comes out the next few weeks and lights it up. That would be fantastic. However, what I hope and reality are two different things.

I have never said I expect Easley to be the #2 receiver when the season starts. I said I would expect the Bills to give him TIME to develop into the player he has the potential to be. EVERY WR except Stevie on the roster will be competing for the #2 job the entire preseason. That is the reality. Until a player is cut, they are competing.

mayotm
08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I have never said I expect Easley to be the #2 receiver when the season starts. I said I would expect the Bills to give him TIME to develop into the player he has the potential to be. EVERY WR except Stevie on the roster will be competing for the #2 job the entire preseason. That is the reality. Until a player is cut, they are competing.He's still competing for the #2 in the same sense that Clowney, Martin, Roosevelt, Sessions and Aiken are still competing. None of those guys including Easley are serious candidates. The battle is between all those guys for the sixth receiver spot if they keep six. Nothing more.

better days
08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
He's still competing for the #2 in the same sense that Clowney, Martin, Roosevelt, Sessions and Aiken are still competing. None of those guys including Easley are serious candidates. The battle is between all those guys for the sixth receiver spot if they keep six. Nothing more.

Any of those guys could win the #2 spot. It is open until someone steps up & claims it. There has only been one preseason game played so far, still plenty of time for someone to step up. Again, I never said I expect Easley to be the #2 WR this year. I said I expect the Bills to give him time to develop. If they don't do that, I would bet some other team will. Players with Easleys size & speed don't come along every day. Most NFL players have one or the other, FEW have both.

Meathead
08-15-2012, 11:24 AM
easley is closer to turning into the next sam aiken

better days
08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
easley is closer to turning into the next sam aiken

Well,Sam Aiken had the size, but NOT the speed. Just as I said, most NFL players have one or the other, FEW have both.

mayotm
08-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Any of those guys could win the #2 spot. It is open until someone steps up & claims it. There has only been one preseason game played so far, still plenty of time for someone to step up. Again, I never said I expect Easley to be the #2 WR this year. I said I expect the Bills to give him time to develop. If they don't do that, I would bet some other team will. Players with Easleys size & speed don't come along every day. Most NFL players have one or the other, FEW have both.Without injuries, there's about a 1 percent chance that Easley, Martin, Clowney, Sessions, Roosevelt, you or me could win the #2 WR spot. So I guess you're right. It COULD happen.

GingerP
08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Let's face it, maybe Cody would have been the better pick at this point, but there were much better players available than either of them with that 2nd round pick.

Yeah, Rob Gronkowski was the next pick. I'd rather have him than Cody, but hindsight is 20/20.

As for Easley, the guy was a 4th round pick. If the light comes on and he becomes a good WR then great. You are talking about his size and speed like he is Calvin Johnson, but really there are tons of guys big and fast. It comes down to his learning to play WR well, which is a lot more than straight-line speed. He isn't on scholarship, they can't keep him around indefinitely to see if he can develop.

better days
08-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah, Rob Gronkowski was the next pick. I'd rather have him than Cody, but hindsight is 20/20.

As for Easley, the guy was a 4th round pick. If the light comes on and he becomes a good WR then great. You are talking about his size and speed like he is Calvin Johnson, but really there are tons of guys big and fast. It comes down to his learning to play WR well, which is a lot more than straight-line speed. He isn't on scholarship, they can't keep him around indefinitely to see if he can develop.

Well, like you said, he was a 4th rnd pick if he does not develop, oh well. However there are not tons of guys that are big & fast, the vast majority are one or the other. FEW have both of those qualities. That is the reason the Bills will give him time to develop & if they don't, some other team will.

better days
08-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Without injuries, there's about a 1 percent chance that Easley, Martin, Clowney, Sessions, Roosevelt, you or me could win the #2 WR spot. So I guess you're right. It COULD happen.

Well, I think one of those guys could win the job. You or me, I seriously doubt it, in fact I know I could not.

Meathead
08-15-2012, 05:35 PM
i could

BillsOverDolphins
08-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Turning out to be another solid Bills draft:up:

better days
08-16-2012, 08:27 AM
He's still competing for the #2 in the same sense that Clowney, Martin, Roosevelt, Sessions and Aiken are still competing. None of those guys including Easley are serious candidates. The battle is between all those guys for the sixth receiver spot if they keep six. Nothing more.

Well, I read Sal Maiorana this morning. He says "its a free for all right now, and it's almost impossible to discern who's the front runner. Donald Jones is listed as the starter opposite Stevie Johnson, but he certainly didn't distinguish himself any more than Derek Hagen, Marcus Easley, TJ Graham, David Clowney, Ruvell Martin or Naaman Roosevelt (David Nelson is locked in as the #3 slot receiver). Gailey will have some interesting decisions to make."

Well, it looks like Sal, who has been at camp every day, agrees with me about the #2 WR position.

OpIv37
08-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Spiller spent his first year as a return man & receiver. He hardly played RB at all. If Easley can become the next Stevie Johnson which he has the potential to do, Spiller continues to play as well as he did after Freddie got injured & Moats becomes a starting OLB, that draft should get an A. Too soon to call. We will know much more about that draft after this year.

He didn't play RB because he wasn't good enough at it to earn his opportunity. That's no one's fault but his own.

Mr. Pink
08-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Well, when I hear those comments come from Chan or Buddy, I will say goodbye to the fantasy of Easley turning into the next Stevie Johnson. From Joe Buscaglia, I will continue to believe the Bills still see the potential Ealey has. Easley may not even make the team this year, but if not I would expect to see him go to the PS.

If Easley doesn't make this team, and from what I've heard/seen and not just on this board, he might not. He likely won't have the chance to turn into an NFL WR let alone Stevie. With his health and injury concerns, I don't see another team justifying taking a flier on him.

On Spiller...it's funny around here what people think of him. He's a poor man's Reggie Bush and people around here knock Bush constantly. He was then and always will be a wasted pick.

OpIv37
08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
On Spiller...it's funny around here what people think of him. He's a poor man's Reggie Bush and people around here knock Bush constantly. He was then and always will be a wasted pick.

I don't think Spiller was a wasted pick. James Hardy was a wasted pick. Aaron Maybin was a wasted pick. McCargo was a wasted pick. If you look at other teams, Ted Ginn Jr, JaMarcus Russell and Matt Jones were some good examples of wasted picks.

Spiller at least gives us something. You can definitely argue that the pick could have been used more wisely, but I don't think it's fair to call it a waste because he does provide some value.

better days
08-16-2012, 09:31 AM
He didn't play RB because he wasn't good enough at it to earn his opportunity. That's no one's fault but his own.

No question, Spiller had to learn to block, which he never had to do in College. The point is, Spiller is MUCH more than an ordinary RB he is a PLAYMAKER that can return kicks, & catch the ball as well as run it.

better days
08-16-2012, 09:39 AM
If Easley doesn't make this team, and from what I've heard/seen and not just on this board, he might not. He likely won't have the chance to turn into an NFL WR let alone Stevie. With his health and injury concerns, I don't see another team justifying taking a flier on him.

Easley had an injury his rookie year that won't affect him. He had an issue with his heart that has been resolved. It is not like he has a bad back or legs where he can't run. He is a small school guy that needs time to develop. If the Bills don't give him that time, I guarantee another team will because he has both size & speed, two things that can't be taught.