PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 8/13/2012

Michael82
08-14-2012, 11:54 AM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/Mikey82_photos/Buffalo%20Bills%20Training%20Camp%202012/08-13-12%20Monday%20Afternoon/Photo043b.jpg
Buffalo Bills Training Camp Gallery - Monday, August 13, 2012 (http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/Mikey82_photos/Buffalo%20Bills%20Training%20Camp%202012/08-13-12%20Monday%20Afternoon/)
It's hard to believe, but Monday was Day 14 at Buffalo Bills Training Camp. There is only one more practice to go. The team spent extra time working on red-zone drills, plus the usual 1-on-1's, 7-on-7's, 11-on-11's and special teams drills. Coach Gailey gave Ryan Fitzpatrick a bit of a break on Monday as he had only the two backups work on the 7-on-7 drills. The team also practiced the 2-minute drill and the offense was successful both times, scoring two touchdowns to end the day.

As always, the team started out working on fundamentals with their position coaches. This time, the offense worked on Growney Stadium, while the defense worked on the Polisseni track and field complex. The players spent about 15 minutes working with their position coaches, until they all came onto the main field for special teams work. John Potter was the only one used for kicking the ball off and he did a good job. The kick returners were Leodis McKelvin, CJ Spiller, Brad Smith and TJ Graham. Spiller had the best return, showing off his speed on his return. Although, Smith had a good return too. Following the special teams work, the team spend time doing passing drills. It wasn't the usual 7-on-7 yet, but they worked on a 5-on-4 and 4-on-4, focusing on 1-on-1 matchups. The team spend about 5 minutes on this drill and then finally the real fun began, the 7-on-7 drill.

Coach Gailey let Ryan Fitzpatrick skip the drill as the focus was on the backup competition. Vince Young started off with a 10-yard pass to Donald Jones and then hit Scott Chandler for 7-yards. He finished the series off with a 6-yard pass to Derek Hagan. Tyler Thigpen came on the field next and hit Scott Chandler for 8-yards. He then threw a nice pass to Derek Hagan for 30-yards. On the final play of the series, Thigpen overthrew Stevie Johnson. Vince Young came back onto the field and connected with TJ Graham for 9-yards and 8-yards. He then hit Kamar Aiken for 7-yards. On the next play, Young threw a screen to Lee Smith for 3-yards. He then found Ruvell Martin for 10-yards. On the final play of the series, Young connected with Fendi Onobun for 11-yards.

Tyler Thigpen came back onto the field and hit Stevie Johnson for 6-yards. He then found Derek Hagan for 12-yards. On the final play of the series, Thigpen connected with Stevie Johnson for 8-yards. Vince Young came back on the field and found Scott Chandler. He then threw the ball at CJ Spiller's feet. On the final play of the series, Young saw David Nelson and threw it his way, but Leodis McKelvin broke it up. Tyler Thigpen came back once more and connected with Kamar Aiken for 20-yards, and 5-yards. He then hit Naaman Roosevelt for 6-yards. On the next play, Thigpen threw a nice 30-yarder to TJ Graham. He then hit Derek Session for 7-yards. On the final play of the drill, Thigpen was almost picked off by Nick Sukay who made a great play on the ball, but couldn't hang onto it..... CLICK HERE for more: (http://www.billszone.com/?p=681)

Jan Reimers
08-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks as usual, Mike, for your excellent report.

Michael82
08-14-2012, 03:58 PM
No problem! Glad you like it, Jan!

The King
08-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Mikey is Chandler looking like a focal point in this offense now? Tasker was going on and on about what Metz is doing for him.

Michael82
08-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Scott Chandler has been one of the stars in camp. I don't know what Metz taught him, but he's been catching everything thrown his way. I love his size and his connection with Fitzpatrick and have no doubt that he'll be a huge part of the offense this year.

madness
08-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Is it me or does Chandler look light and faster out there?

OpIv37
08-15-2012, 07:05 AM
I hope they don't use Spiller for returns in games. We only have 2 quality RB's and they are both going to be getting significant time. We can't risk the injury.

mysticsoto
08-15-2012, 07:25 AM
I hope they don't use Spiller for returns in games. We only have 2 quality RB's and they are both going to be getting significant time. We can't risk the injury.

2 quality RBs is more than most teams have. Add to that that both Tashard and even White have shown great playing from time to time and I'd say RB is not a position we need to worry about.

Having said that, with all the DBs we have and even WRs, we probably have other better suited personnel. Justin Rogers I believe did some last year and Naaman Roosevelt is doing his best to make the team and did some returns in the 1st preseason game and looked pretty decent.

The King
08-15-2012, 07:31 AM

I cant say based on the 3 drives we saw him on. But those catches he made were spectacular. I'm definitely going be keeping a close eye on him in the pre-season. I just feel like there's a buzz on him right now.

Michael82
08-15-2012, 02:59 PM

It's definitely not just you. He looks a lot quicker out there.