• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

coastal's prediction for season

The Bills have been mired in a rebuilding project gone bad for the past decade. To call this organization inept would widely be viewed as a huge understatement. The current regime is now about to begin their third year, which is the barometer for determining whether their plan is quite simply... Working.

I think their defensive plan, schemes aside, has been to get bigger. In that regard, they have largely been successful. Mario, Williams, Dareus and Anderson give the Bills a legitimate defensive line, something they haven't had in 10+ years. The question after them is twofold... Depth on the line and the line backing corp behind them.

First, the depth... Kelsay, Troupe, Carrington, Merriman, and Johnson round out what amounts to a CFL caliber grouping. Kelsay And Spencer Johnson are clearly the best of the group, but all they can honestly be accused of is taking up a roster spot.

Second, our linebackers are less than what Bills fans long became accustomed to. They're no Paups, Talleys, Conlans, or Bennetts. There may be a Carlton Bailey or Ray Bentley. The defensive system we are running puts the pressure on the linebackers to clean up what the defensive line helps to create. I'm not overly confident this group can do that at or close to the line of scrimmage.

The strength of this D... Appears to be the secondary. We have a good smattering of youth and veterans with a lot of diverse talent. I am really impressed with this group. If we can get a lead and stop the run consistently, we have the makings of a group that can turn the ball over.

All in all... The defense should be improved over its bottom of the barrel performances we've had over the past 2 years. Is it top 5? No. Top 10? Maybe. Top 15? It better be.

As far as the offense... I'm just approaching his from a philosophical stand point. I hate the spread offense! I repeat... HATE the spread offense. It isn't a mans offense, doesn't suit this city, and isn't designed to be successful with a second tier quarterback.

Here's the deal... Fitz is no Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, or Tom Brady. Asking him to throw 30+ times a game is a recipe for not playing to the strengths of yet another quarterback. Not to mention, past Stevie Johnson, we have one of the thinnest talent pools at wide receiver as any team in the league. Yet... We are going to run an offense that puts 3-4 of them on the field at any given time. Not smart at all.

Long story short... I don't see much if any improvement on the offensive side of the ball. Fitz would have to make a huge step up in performance in order to prove this wrong. Rib injury or not, I didn't see from Fitz the kind aloofness to pain that the elite quarterbacks seem to possess. He looked defeated most of last year.

Overall... I do see an improvement on the D and can talk myself into some pretty exciting outcomes, but honesty and reason suggest this team is not a Baltimore... Patriots... or Steelers.

They're the Buffalo Bills and from an organizational perspective I still view them as dysfunctional. An NFL season needs the entire organization, not just the pieces, functioning at a high level in order to bring home the bacon. When things get tough this year... this more than anything will merit out.

8-8

"That's a team, gentlemen
    and either we heal now, as a team,
    or we will die as individuals.
    That's football guys.
    That's all it is."
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: coastal's prediction for season

I think Kelsay, Johnson, Edwards and Merriman (if healthy) make a pretty damn decent second-string.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• SquishDaFish
      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
      • Jun 2005

I disagree about your CFL comments. Matter of fact disagree with just about EVERYTHING including record except the comments on the LBs. Lost all respect for your post/thread when I read the CFL thing. WOW unreal

Comment

• tampabay25690
        • Feb 2004

Ok
        GO Gators!!!!!!
        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• cookie G
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by coastal View Post
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]

As far as the offense... I'm just approaching his from a philosophical stand point. I hate the spread offense! I repeat... HATE the spread offense. It isn't a mans offense, doesn't suit this city, and isn't designed to be successful with a second tier quarterback.

Here's the deal... Fitz is no Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, or Tom Brady. Asking him to throw 30+ times a game is a recipe for not playing to the strengths of yet another quarterback. Not to mention, past Stevie Johnson, we have one of the thinnest talent pools at wide receiver as any team in the league. Yet... We are going to run an offense that puts 3-4 of them on the field at any given time. Not smart at all.
          *I had to go sneak back to the other place and get my response.

Couldn't be more wrong.

"Buffalo football' offense 2005-09

Yards

Bills offense 2011

Yards

We should go back to "Buffalo football" whatever that is?

OK, we'll go back to smash mouth, run twice, pass on 3rd down. Here's what you'll need:

1) A rocket armed QB who can throw the ball 30 yards on a rope- a Manning (either), a Stafford, or even a Rivers.

Don't have that.

2) WR's that are both big enough to to use their bodies in tight coverage, to get off the line in press coverage AND fast enough to get open downfield. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald.

Don't have that,

Excepting SJ. At least he can get off the line.

3) An O-line that is powerful enough to move people.

Excepting Wood, and maybe now Glenn, don't have that. Power isn't a Levitre game, its technique. He's very good in pulling and trapping. Pears gets in people's way, but he won't be caving in the right side of the line. Urbik gets driven backwards when he pulls or traps.

4) An O-line that is good enough to keep a pocket open consistently for 4 seconds, allowing the big, fast WR's time to get downfield.

Don't have that.

They don't hold a pocket for 3 seconds, much less 4.

5) A TE that can block AND be a viable receiver. A Gonzalez, even a Brandon Pettigrew. In the "Buffalo football" scheme, you're going to have 2, maybe 3 WR's on the field. The TE has to be a target.

Don't have that. Unless Metz taught Scott Chandler to be a premier blocker in the offseason.

So to switch to "Buffalo football", you have 2 quality RB's, half an O-line, a single WR and little else.

Can anyone say let's-switch-to-the-34 D-because-its-cool-even-though-we-don't-have-the-people?

Like it or not, the spread has been used as the equalizer in college football for years. Its why Boise St. beats larger, more talented college teams like Georgia, V-Tech, Oregon and Oklahoma...all the while using a QB like Kellen Moore.

Why? I don't know. Number of targets available, keeping D's off balance, covering for the Oline by getting the ball out quickly are all factors, I'm sure.

I just know I watched a half decade of building a "Buffalo football" offense and watched it consistently become one of the worst in the league. And then hear the old "if we only had X player" line.

I watched a guy come in, who was given nothing to work with, was handed a bunch of UFDA castoffs...and actually scored points with it.

But some people don't want that.

They'd rather watch an offense have 1 drive per game, score 7 points, and then wonder why the defense couldn't hold an opposing offense to less than 7 points.

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

I love all I you too...

Sorry u guys can't deal with reality, but we are running an offense that a QB like Fitz is doomed to fail in.

Watch for the sideline pouting by Halloween.

As far as the D... We sold out like we did a handful of years back with the oline, although I have to admit being happy with the Anderson signing.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

I love all I you too...

Sorry u guys can't deal with reality, but we are running an offense that a QB like Fitz is doomed to fail in.

As far as the D... We sold out like we did a handful of years back with the oline, although I have to admit being happy with the Anderson signing.
              Between my defense is doomed thread & the offense is doomed thread here, we look pretty F-Ed. Our lines really need to come through as prescribed by others here, coaches with a solid plan to succeed. I see our LB's killing us because their out of place when the ball comes past the line, it's been an ongoing problem that really hasn't been addressed.

Even saying we're counting on a healthy Merriman makes me cringe, the dude hasn't had a full healthy season for a while now. Who we turning the keys over to then, Troupe ?? Bad things man, bad things.
              Last edited by Skooby; 08-16-2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                Between my defense is doomed thread & the offense is doomed thread here, we look pretty F-Ed. Our lines really need to come through as prescribed by others here, coaches with a solid plan.
                I'll look for your thread... But thought I gave what is a pretty honest assessment of things.

8-8 is an improvement, because I think we have... But we're still the Buffalo Bills at the end of the day.

Comment

• Beebe
                  • Aug 2011

okay
                  Attached Files

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

I'll look for your thread... But thought I gave what is a pretty honest assessment of things.

8-8 is an improvement, because I think we have... But we're still the Buffalo Bills at the end of the day.

Our offense has several years of a system to work with, our defense just switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 with a new coach, that's usually a recipe for a few years of seasoning. I actually feel that our WR core past Stevie is terrible, it's just that Fred / CJ can catch & scramble like no one's business. Knowing that, Fitz should have someone open that can run fast & get big YAC yards.
                    Last edited by Skooby; 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                      • Sep 2003

I love all I you too...

Ha ha. "Realist" is just another word for miserable hemorrhoid.

PTR
                      10 Commandments of the D
                      1. Never stop Rocking.
                      2. Legalize all drugs.
                      3. Quit your day job.
                      4. All Religion should be taxed.
                      5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                      6. F**k her gently.
                      7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                      8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                      9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                      10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                        • Jun 2005

So what you say is reality and what everyone else says isnt right. Sorry expert LMAO

Comment

• John Doe
                          Florida Man
                          • Jul 2002

The Bills have been mired in a rebuilding project gone bad for the past decade. To call this organization inept would widely be viewed as a huge understatement. The current regime is now about to begin their third year, which is the barometer for determining whether their plan is quite simply... Working.

I think their defensive plan, schemes aside, has been to get bigger. In that regard, they have largely been successful. Mario, Williams, Dareus and Anderson give the Bills a legitimate defensive line, something they haven't had in 10+ years. The question after them is twofold... Depth on the line and the line backing corp behind them.

First, the depth... Kelsay, Troupe, Carrington, Merriman, and Johnson round out what amounts to a CFL caliber grouping. Kelsay And Spencer Johnson are clearly the best of the group, but all they can honestly be accused of is taking up a roster spot.

Second, our linebackers are less than what Bills fans long became accustomed to. They're no Paups, Talleys, Conlans, or Bennetts. There may be a Carlton Bailey or Ray Bentley. The defensive system we are running puts the pressure on the linebackers to clean up what the defensive line helps to create. I'm not overly confident this group can do that at or close to the line of scrimmage.

The strength of this D... Appears to be the secondary. We have a good smattering of youth and veterans with a lot of diverse talent. I am really impressed with this group. If we can get a lead and stop the run consistently, we have the makings of a group that can turn the ball over.

All in all... The defense should be improved over its bottom of the barrel performances we've had over the past 2 years. Is it top 5? No. Top 10? Maybe. Top 15? It better be.

Long story short... I don't see much if any improvement on the offensive side of the ball. Fitz would have to make a huge step up in performance in order to prove this wrong. Rib injury or not, I didn't see from Fitz the kind aloofness to pain that the elite quarterbacks seem to possess. He looked defeated most of last year.

Overall... I do see an improvement on the D and can talk myself into some pretty exciting outcomes, but honesty and reason suggest this team is not a Baltimore... Patriots... or Steelers.

They're the Buffalo Bills and from an organizational perspective I still view them as dysfunctional. An NFL season needs the entire organization, not just the pieces, functioning at a high level in order to bring home the bacon. When things get tough this year... this more than anything will merit out.

8-8

"That's a team, gentlemen
                          and either we heal now, as a team,
                          or we will die as individuals.
                          That's football guys.
                          That's all it is."
                          How provocative.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

While your analysis is likely not wrong, you actually see us finishing better than I do, I do believe that we are heading in the right direction. At least with the on the field personnel. Still don't believe in our HC as I don't see him as an NFL caliber guy and don't believe in the guy behind center.

Defensively we should be much improved.

Offensively we'll go as far as the playcaller and the QB take us.

I think we're limited by the offensive scheme unfortunately.

Comment

• Morpheus
                              What? Me Worry?
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
                              So what you say is reality and what everyone else says isnt right. Sorry expert LMAO
                              That's not what I got out of it. I think he just spoke his mind and laid out some details of his thoughts thinking that it might spur on a good conversation. Sure beats the vanilla claims of playoffs that I have heard on Bills boards every year since I've been frequenting them for 12 years. Wouldn't you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X