PDA

View Full Version : X's Op style rant

X-Era
08-17-2012, 08:33 PM
1. Hairston needs to start at LT. Period. Glenn may be the better athlete but the penalties, and bad plays are not worth it at this point.

2. Our starting CB's are a liability. They both play so raw and have a penchant for giving up big plays. That's what happens with young CB's. I wish we had at least one more starting quality vet.

3. Shepp has done nothing to impress... still. He is a liability with how he's washed out of plays, can't get off blocks, or is just plain out of position. LB is still a real serious want.

4. Freddy looked slow. I hope it's just the preseason or that it's just this game but he looked slow.

5. Donald Jones had an awesome play which is a total of one awesome play from him since he's been significant. He'll win our #2 WR spot and will still leave #2 WR as our biggest need heading into the off-season IMO.

elltrain22
08-17-2012, 08:47 PM
I think Cordy is doing a good job, minus the penalties. He has certainly been flagged, but I think once he settles down a bit, and gets flow into his head, we'll see less of these stupid penalties.

Our CB's are a source of concern. McKelvin still can't cover, and Aaron Williams has seem to struggle a bit as well. On a side note, why not let Ron Brooks get some first team reps?? Could it hurt?? That kid is all over the ball; unlike some of our other guys!

We look like crap out of shotgun sets, and perform much, much better when Fitz is under center. Every single shotgun play looks the same. We may have different alignments, but it looks like the same stuff every play.

Donald Jones, clearly is our #2 guy, however, I would like to see much more of TJ Graham.

YardRat
08-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Lots of guys out of position for the defense, especially in the first quarter. Hope that's more of a sign of not game-planning as opposed to the 'Stache being as big of a dumbass as I think he is.

Freddie looks OK, have to admit I have serious doubts about this offense being effective with both he and Spiller on the field at the same time, unless Gailey really has something up his sleeve for the regular season.

Agree on Glenn...it's frustrating the way the o-line has been managed up to this point (and I understand some of it is unavoidable due to injuries) but it's time to put 5 guys in place and let them work together for the next three weeks.

kingJofNYC
08-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Byrd getting leaped over made the slant catch on Stephon much worse than it should've been. Had excellent coverage on the red zone fade. At this point I'm much more concerned with Williams, had great technique & coverage but didn't high point the ball and it led to a long completion. Cordy needs work, I don't like the OL right now, but it's still early.

Our LBs suck, it's not only Sheppard but Bartnett looked slow as well. Honestly, the only LB that looked active and quick was Moats, that's a huge ****ing warning sign.

Can we see Johnny White? Choice ****ing stinks, hate how Gailey has loyalty towards this guy.

The Compromise
08-17-2012, 09:18 PM
2. Our starting CB's are a liability. They both play so raw and have a penchant for giving up big plays. That's what happens with young CB's. I wish we had at least one more starting quality vet.

5. Donald Jones had an awesome play which is a total of one awesome play from him since he's been significant. He'll win our #2 WR spot and will still leave #2 WR as our biggest need heading into the off-season IMO.

They did have a quality vet, the genius coaching staff felt it to be a good idea to cut him. Florence.

Jones' TD was against the Vikes' 2nd team D.

justasportsfan
08-17-2012, 10:07 PM
not as worried anymore compared to the redskins game.

SquishDaFish
08-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Its preseason lol. im not worried

Mr Bills
08-17-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't know what games you were watching but Glenn looked pretty good. The holding call on him was bs.

Meathead
08-17-2012, 11:41 PM
not worried at all because ... wait for it ...

PRESEASON IS MEANINGLESS

BertSquirtgum
08-17-2012, 11:50 PM
This team stinks. P U.

Bangarang
08-18-2012, 12:01 AM
2008: Detroit Lions go 4-0 in pre-season. Proceed to go 0-16 during regular season.

kingJofNYC
08-18-2012, 12:26 AM
2009: Buffalo Bills go 1-4 in pre-season. Proceed to go 6-10 during the regular season.

BillsOverDolphins
08-18-2012, 03:23 AM
Ugh...was it really that bad? Either way, I had to take a cct call to Bmore and missed the game, so thanks for the recap.

X-Era
08-18-2012, 06:31 AM
1st, 14:14- Big Harvin gain, McLovin overpursued and got blocked out of the play.

1st, 13:30- Stephon gets torched by Simpson.

1st 12:26- Gerhart blow right up the middle and shows why LB is important. Barnett and Scott are the culprits.

1st 11:04- Felton TD, Williams took the inside guy, Barnett couldn't get out to the flat quick enough.

1st 3:38- Run by Gerhart. Run right at Shepp and he's blocked out of the play. Couldn't get off the block. Moats actually makes a nice play.

1st 3:00- Catch over the middle by Gerhart who beat Shepp when he overpursued and then Shepp fails to tackle him at the feet.

2nd 14:17- Long pass. Williams was right there but didn't get his hand in.

2nd 10:44- Glenn false start.

2nd 3:04- McLovin forced fumble.

Glenn and Hairston blocked well at LT.
Brooks had 2 pass breakups. I agree he ought to get some looks as a starter.
Moats made several plays.
The OL looked good outside of the penalties.
Graham with nice plays.

Not all bad but both starting units were lackluster.

justasportsfan
08-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Ugh...was it really that bad?

nope. I don't even think guys like Mario were even trying. It wasn't great but it looked liked the bills weren't trying to win. Freddie looked good .IMO , the bills were trying to get out of this with no injuries. Obviously not going 100%

Night Train
08-18-2012, 08:45 AM
My initial impression with the D was they were neutralized up front with Ponder getting the ball out very quickly.

Interior of Dareus and Kyle Williams looked effective but the outside rush of Anderson & Williams weren't able to get close with the ball coming out so quickly. Back 7 looked lost on assignments. Agree that Sheppard may not be the MLB we envisioned and the backup McKillop or Morrison going back to MLB may be an option. Wanny has some decisions to make. Middle of field was wide open.
Wilson was constantly late on recognition and Aaron Williams may not have the speed for the outside. The slot may be his calling.

Fitz was hitting the slant and little else outside of dump passes. Opposing D's will be able to play the tight box until he proves different. Young hit Graham with a nice 64 yard bomb but also threw a lot of ducks. Thigpen and Brad Gimmick are pathetic as QB's.

Lots of improvement needed and they must make strides next week, since the final pre-season game is all scrubs.

Positives ? - Donald Jones TD was impressive. He's strong, quick and can break tackles. Graham is a burner and is more ready than planned. Potter just crushes the ball out of the end zone and must stick to give the D a chance to defend the length of the field. Byrd is a big talent at FS.

tampabay25690
08-18-2012, 08:53 AM
It's preseason but the team looks like they don't even want to be out there.

My observations..

I like Hairston at LT as well, Glenn way to many mistakes.
LB crew has been bad and Shepperd looks slower this year, not a good sign at all.
By far Moats has looked best out of the LB crew.

Overall the offense has been putrid.
I won't over analyze but they need to get some crap fixed fast.

Bellowing4DaBills
08-18-2012, 10:20 AM
The O looks like they are using the preseason to work on things. Vince should be the 2nd stringer. Do not like the depth in our O though. Thin everywhere except RB.

The interior D line looks fierce. Our pass coverage looks horrid. The new CBs better improve quick.

cookie G
08-18-2012, 12:21 PM
1) maybe. It is only preseason game 2. The false start problems aren't out of the ordinary at this stage. I don't like the way he gets driven back on a pass rush, not at his size, but he was better this week. But the dude can run block when he wants to.

On the good side, you have a guy with experience that can be plugged in.

2) Aaron Williams was always a waste of a pick, as high as he was taken. There was a reason he mostly played slot DB at Texas and many thought he should move to safety in the NFL. A shut down corner, he is not. I'd just as soon start Brooks.

3) If nothing else, there may be others in the wings that can fill in. I think they have him as a darling of the LB's though.

4) Freddie always looks slow. That's why he was a DIII - UFDA. He's never as slow as he looks.

5) Let's hope Jones has more than one significant play per year.

X-Era
08-18-2012, 01:49 PM
1) maybe. It is only preseason game 2. The false start problems aren't out of the ordinary at this stage. I don't like the way he gets driven back on a pass rush, not at his size, but he was better this week. But the dude can run block when he wants to.

On the good side, you have a guy with experience that can be plugged in.

2) Aaron Williams was always a waste of a pick, as high as he was taken. There was a reason he mostly played slot DB at Texas and many thought he should move to safety in the NFL. A shut down corner, he is not. I'd just as soon start Brooks.

3) If nothing else, there may be others in the wings that can fill in. I think they have him as a darling of the LB's though.

4) Freddie always looks slow. That's why he was a DIII - UFDA. He's never as slow as he looks.

5) Let's hope Jones has more than one significant play per year.

:clap:

Extremebillsfan247
08-18-2012, 04:16 PM
1. Hairston needs to start at LT. Period. Glenn may be the better athlete but the penalties, and bad plays are not worth it at this point.

3. Shepp has done nothing to impress... still. He is a liability with how he's washed out of plays, can't get off blocks, or is just plain out of position. LB is still a real serious want.

4. Freddy looked slow. I hope it's just the preseason or that it's just this game but he looked slow.

1. I agree with this but for a different reason, I just don't think Glenn is ready yet. He seems very green to me. That's not something you want out of a LT that has to face a defense like the Jets have.
2. I also agree here. The lack of veteran leadership at the position could prove to be a liability to our defense this year. Yesterday went a long way in exposing that I think.
3. I agree to a point. I think his lack of NFL experience will hurt him at times, but unlike the young CBs, he has a good veteran supporting cast around him that should help some.
4. In defense of Freddy, the Bills haven't really worked a lot on the run game in training camp until recently. He and Spiller may need a little more time to get back into the flow of the game.
5. I have nothing to add here but also agree. This is my opinion.

coastal
08-18-2012, 04:49 PM
1.) Cordy Glenn should have never been pushed to start at LT. He should have been playing RT.

2.) An awful lot of youth. Brings me back to the poor decision to let Greer leave.

3.) I've been worried about the LBs for awhile... Still am.

4.) Freddy was having a Marshall Faulk type year when he got hurt. Not worried one bit about him, unless of course they're trying to jam CJ Spiller out there at his expense.

5.) our wideouts suck. Step back for Stevie this year. And linebacker is our biggest need.

Scumbag College
08-18-2012, 06:13 PM
To add on the rants:

- The Bills starting D has been exposed with quick slants and screens. It's the best way to neutralize a strong pass rush and I think Washington and Minnesota already gave the blueprints to beat the Bills D to the other 29 teams in the league. Until the Bills find a way to overcome this, expect a good deal of this from opponents.

- I actually like the Bills receivers. Stevie is far and away the best WR on the team and Jones has the athleticism to really complement him on the other side. Jones seemed to be really putting it together last year before his injury. Nelson is as steady and dependable of a possession WR that there is and Graham hasn't been able to be covered as of yet, although he is facing second stringers. With the emergence of Chandler at TE and the Bills looking to have Spiller and Fred on the field a majority of the time, I don't know how often the Bills are going to be going with over three WRs on the field at the same time.

-The OL is a real question mark. I think the coaching staff loves Glenn and wants him to start somewhere on the line come Opening Day. If Wood can stay healthy and the versatility of Levitre I think the inside is going to be fine. I'm not sure what's up with Pears' injury but I haven't seen him too much in the preseason. i thought he was a real steady performer in 2011 and quietly did a nice job at RT.

- I think Fred really needs to shake off the "Ring Rust" from not playing in almost a full year. He looked a little slow the first few series but really showed some flashes in the second quarter against Minnesota. He's on the wrong side of 30 and coming off an injury. Realistically I see him getting 10-15 touches a game and Spiller getting around 15-20 this year. I think that will be a good thing for the Bills.

-The corners are going to need to step it up. I think Brooks is the most game ready CB the Bills have and I don't see Gilmore not starting in Week 1. I think Aaron Williams can play but he has some terrible ball skills. McLovin is Mclovin and will stick around by default. It's kind of scary, but I can really foresee the Bills starting two rookies at CB this year. On the bright side, Wilson and Byrd have another year together and other than Byrd getting jumped over last night on a ridiculous play by the Minny WR, they both have been solid.

swiper
08-18-2012, 06:19 PM

You saw what everybody else seems to have seen. The one thing you fail to mention is the biggest problem - the QBs suck. All of them.

Did any of you see how Ponder and Dalton have played? They look like seasoned veterans. Especially compared with the garbage the Bills have on their roster. Not to mention the fact that Ponder sliced through the Bills defense - the one that was supposedly rebuilt to dominate.

swiper
08-18-2012, 06:23 PM
1.) Cordy Glenn should have never been pushed to start at LT. He should have been playing RT.

2.) An awful lot of youth. Brings me back to the poor decision to let Greer leave.

3.) I've been worried about the LBs for awhile... Still am.

4.) Freddy was having a Marshall Faulk type year when he got hurt. Not worried one bit about him, unless of course they're trying to jam CJ Spiller out there at his expense.

5.) our wideouts suck. Step back for Stevie this year. And linebacker is our biggest need.

Wideouts that are solid: SJ, Jones, Nelson, Graham, Roosevelt. Keep them +/- Hagan.

LB/secondary are weak.

I'm hoping they'll put Hairston back at LT when the season starts. Hoping we're just seeing them give Glenn as many first team reps as they can to speed his development along.

coastal
08-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Wideouts that are solid: SJ, Jones, Nelson, Graham, Roosevelt. Keep them +/- Hagan.

LB/secondary are weak.

I'm hoping they'll put Hairston back at LT when the season starts. Hoping we're just seeing them give Glenn as many first team reps as they can to speed his development along.
Long term I'm not worried about the secondary. I think they'll improve as the year goes on.

The linebackers... Ugh... There's not not a Briggs or the like anywhere among the bunch.

I fear our run defense is going to continue to be a problem.

Meathead
08-18-2012, 09:58 PM
quite honestly im glad the first units have struggled. theyve been getting too much nut riding this camp and its good they get forced back to earth here like this. theyve got a relatively veteran team, enough talent to contend, and continuity especially on the offense. im pretty confident they will pull it together and be very competitive right out of the gate

they will be buckling down from now until the opener and should be well prepared by the time it rolls around. for gods sake just dont get any serious injuries to starters

YardRat
08-19-2012, 07:47 AM
they will be buckling down from now until the opener and should be well prepared by the time it rolls around. for gods sake just dont get any serious injuries to starters

That's what I'm hoping for.