PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills impressed by Vince Young

YardRat
08-19-2012, 09:32 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/viewart/20120818/SPORTS03/308180056/Buffalo-Bills-impressed-by-Vince-Young-Friday-s-loss-Vikings

Young went 8-for-14 for 123 yards and no turnovers for the Bills, including a 64-yard strike to T.J. Graham to open the second half. That set up a short touchdown run by Tashard Choice, who left the game with an unspecified injury.“Vince came out a little bit ahead tonight,” Bills coach Chan Gailey said.

Young wasn’t so sure.“I still don’t feel comfortable and where I want to be at,” he said. “You never know what’s going to happen.”

Meathead
08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
based on what thigpen did as a starter for gailey, plus what young did last season in philly, i gave the edge to thigpen at the start of camp

even though preseason results mean nothing, and understanding that thigpen has always performed a little better in real games, im finding it hard not to view him as falling behind rather rapidly. at this stage in his career he should not be swapping good plays with god awful plays or bouncing balls to open receivers - even in games that dont count

young appears to be improving every week, while thigpen is at best standing still. when you include the potential for young to add fifty yards rushing and long bombs like the one he threw to tj, it feels like hes starting to run away with the job

better days
08-19-2012, 09:52 AM
based on what thigpen did as a starter for gailey, plus what young did last season in philly, i gave the edge to thigpen at the start of camp

even though preseason results mean nothing, and understanding that thigpen has always performed a little better in real games, im finding it hard not to view him as falling behind rather rapidly. at this stage in his career he should not be swapping good plays with god awful plays or bouncing balls to open receivers - even in games that dont count

young appears to be improving every week, while thigpen is at best standing still. when you include the potential for young to add fifty yards rushing and long bombs like the one he threw to tj, it feels like hes starting to run away with the job

Exactly. Thigpen should have Chans offense down cold by now after all the time he has played in it. Instead, he looks like a rookie taken in the 6th rnd. Time to move on IMO.

Figster
08-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Exactly. Thigpen should have Chans offense down cold by now after all the time he has played in it. Instead, he looks like a rookie taken in the 6th rnd. Time to move on IMO.

The Bills wanted to draft Cam Newton and in my opinion better days, Young is the closest thing to Newton in the NFL.

Young has had a little under 4 seasons of actually game experience. Under the right coaching/mentoring which Gailey, Lee and Fitzpatrick can provide I believe VY can become a very successful starter in the NFL.

I'm not trying to start a QB controversy and this is Ryan Fitzpatrick's Football team, but VY gives the Buffalo Bills a good backup plan.

A real good one in my opinion...

better days
08-19-2012, 11:20 AM
The Bills wanted to draft Cam Newton and in my opinion better days, Young is the closest thing to Newton in the NFL.

Young has had a little under 4 seasons of actually game experience. Under the right coaching/mentoring which Gailey, Lee and Fitzpatrick can provide I believe VY can become a very successful starter in the NFL.

I'm not trying to start a QB controversy and this is Ryan Fitzpatrick's Football team, but VY gives the Buffalo Bills a good backup plan.

I am with you dog.

Extremebillsfan247
08-19-2012, 12:10 PM

Thigpen does know the offensive scheme really well. His problems are consistency, and an inability to throw a deep ball. He would be better suited for a west coast style of offense than this one I think.

BertSquirtgum
08-19-2012, 04:55 PM

Agreed. Pigpen stinks.

Albany,n.y.
08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Thigpen does know the offensive scheme really well. His problems are consistency, and an inability to throw a deep ball. He would be better suited for a west coast style of offense than this one I think.
Especially if that offense is in the UFL, where even JP Losman can be somewhat successful.

elltrain22
08-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Young vs. Pigpen, IMO, is already a foregone conclusion. The real question here is, Young vs. Fitz; which guy gives us the best chance to win. I truly believe it could be Vince Young. He may not be pretty, but the dude moves the chains, keeps the offense out there, and most importantly, he wins.

BertSquirtgum
08-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Young vs. Pigpen, IMO, is already a foregone conclusion. The real question here is, Young vs. Fitz; which guy gives us the best chance to win. I truly believe it could be Vince Young. He may not be pretty, but the dude moves the chains, keeps the offense out there, and most importantly, he wins.

I know what my answer is.

coastal
08-19-2012, 08:36 PM
There is going to be a quarterback controversy by week 6.

mikemac2001
08-19-2012, 09:57 PM
lets hope not because we will likely be drafting one next year very early

BillsOverDolphins
08-20-2012, 02:30 AM
lets hope not because we will likely be drafting one next year very early

We need Barkley, so I'd accept an Indy-like effort this year for the greater good.

kishoph
08-20-2012, 04:31 AM
I'm not sure Gailey has a lot of confidence in Thigpen to perform during a game, there were a number of time last season where Thigpen could of been used, because of Fitz's performance or his injury. With his rib injury, Fitz could of used a week or two off in order for it to heal up some, but Thigpen could not be counted on to go in there and be successful.
I think Young's problem has been listening to coaching, maybe now with maturity and realizing he can be replaced, he'll be more willing to listen and be coached. With some time to learn the offense and system, maybe he could be the answer at QB, of course depending on how Fitz does, but I would like to have an option and Thigpen doesn't figure in that.

Night Train
08-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Regardless what happens this year, QB WILL be an early pick next year. Bills have a clean out on the Fitz deal and no one here is long term.

Young has been lucky, in that 2-3 of his bad passes were dropped for easy INT's in the first couple pre-season games. Let's not inflate his current form. He's one good, one bad play right now but can run for a first down in a pinch. Still, his game leaves lots of room for improvement.

justasportsfan
08-20-2012, 10:24 AM
IMO, Young has a ceiling high enough to even push Fitz for the no.1 job if he get's Gailey's system down and no drama. Young has everything needed physically but wish he could end up having Fitz's brain down the road.

Thigpen will never push Fitz for the no.1 job.

mikemac2001
08-20-2012, 10:28 AM
We need Barkley, so I'd accept an Indy-like effort this year for the greater good.

If we start 1-4 then ya but putting young in we will likely win more games....now if we are 3-3 i would rather go for a wild card

OpIv37
08-20-2012, 10:35 AM

Sorry but I have to call bull**** on this. 4 SEASONS?!?! If he hasn't gotten it in 4 SEASONS, you still think he can become a viable starter?

Using that logic, we gave up on JP Losman and Trent Edwards WAY too soon.

Can you imagine what the reaction on this board would be if a Jets or Dolphins fan came in and said something so ridiculous about a QB on their team?

Young is an athlete. He never has been, and never will be, a complete NFL QB. Is he a better back-up than Thigpen? Probably, but if he hasn't become starting material after 4 seasons, he never will.

Mr. Pink
08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Still wish we were allowed to have Vick when he came back. Oh well.

justasportsfan
08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Sorry but I have to call bull**** on this. 4 SEASONS?!?! If he hasn't gotten it in 4 SEASONS, you still think he can become a viable starter?

Using that logic, we gave up on JP Losman and Trent Edwards WAY too soon.

Can you imagine what the reaction on this board would be if a Jets or Dolphins fan came in and said something so ridiculous about a QB on their team?

Young is an athlete. He never has been, and never will be, a complete NFL QB. Is he a better back-up than Thigpen? Probably, but if he hasn't become starting material after 4 seasons, he never will.

I think Youngs problem was his attitude. A crappy attitude can change your approach to the game and ****** your growth.

OpIv37
08-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Still wish we were allowed to have Vick when he came back. Oh well.

From a talent perspective, I agree that he would have helped.

From a drama perspective, I'm very glad that we don't have to deal with that circus.

Mr. Pink
08-20-2012, 11:30 AM
From a talent perspective, I agree that he would have helped.

From a drama perspective, I'm very glad that we don't have to deal with that circus.

If we're winning games, the drama circus doesn't matter. IMO.

He would have helped win some games and solidified the position for about 5 seasons.

TigerJ
08-20-2012, 11:56 AM
But pro football talk suggested he was halfway out the door. . .

Johnny Bugmenot
08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Ahem, there is that little thing known as the stadium lease lingering over their heads right now. Laying an egg like Indy did last year could very well cost the team any opportunity of getting those renovations they want.

Mike
08-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Do you think Barkley is in the same class as Luck?
I hope Barkley turns out to be great especially if the Bills draft him but he might be another Carson Palmer, good but not great.

BillsOverDolphins
08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Nobody's in Lucks's class, but Barkley is the closest thing (rookie-QB-wise). He also plays in a pro-style offense. The kid is gonna be special.

better days
08-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Nobody's in Lucks's class, but Barkley is the closest thing (rookie-QB-wise). He also plays in a pro-style offense. The kid is gonna be special.

Wow, you are in LOVE with Luck. I can think of a few QBs in Lucks class, Eli, Big Ben, Aaron, Drew, Tom* to name some. Hell, RGIII may have a better career than Luck, he has also looked good in PRESEASON.