PDA

View Full Version : Bills Position Battle Review: Left Tackle Separation

YardRat
08-19-2012, 09:36 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/8/19/3253180/bills-position-battle-review-cordy-glenn-chris-hairston

Glenn has not been perfect, by any means. He's been flagged for one false start in each of Buffalo's two pre-season games, and was also called for (a questionable) holding against Minnesota that was declined. He has had occasional trouble with speed off the edge, giving up a few pressures because of it. Setting those issues aside, Glenn has been fairly steady on all of his other snaps, and if you watch him closely, it's easy to see why the Bills think he can play left tackle in this offense. He's an outstanding athlete.

Hairston has not goten as much time at left tackle, and that has hurt him a bit. While he has been penalty-free this pre-season, he's also been far worse than Glenn in pass protection, consistently giving up pressures not just against speed rushes, but well-executed counter moves, as well.

The bottom line here is that the Bills should anticipate a few bumps in the road at left tackle, regardless of who starts. Glenn makes much more sense not just because he's the better physical talent and the bigger investment, but because the mistakes he's made this pre-season are far easier to correct than those Hairston has made. Right now, Glenn is the better player, and barring a catastrophic meltdown, he'll be on the blind side against Rex Ryan's crew in Week 1.

Don't agree with Galliford's overall assessment, but there it is...

DraftBoy
08-19-2012, 09:43 AM
I saw this as well and it struck me as odd. Im going to chart out Glenn and Hairston in about an hour and write up a post for the results. I thought Hairston was far superior in the 1st game in Pass Pro to Glenn.

Be curious to see what Friday night shows.

Meathead
08-19-2012, 09:50 AM
what struck you as odd, the players performances or the other authors observations?

i didnt watch either player that closely so i have no idea how to evaluate what that author is alleging

DraftBoy
08-19-2012, 10:05 AM
what struck you as odd, the players performances or the other authors observations?

i didnt watch either player that closely so i have no idea how to evaluate what that author is alleging

Well I havent fully watched the second game yet, but Hairston technically speaking looked better at RT than Glenn did at LT in the first game. Hairston has played penalty free ball, and Hairston gave up one sack and pressure in the first game, while Glenn gave up multiple.

So unless when I turn this game on in 10 mins and its a completely different story Im struggling to see how the author can say Glenn has been all that much better.

For the record I hate the idea of Hairston at LT.

X-Era
08-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Well I havent fully watched the second game yet, but Hairston technically speaking looked better at RT than Glenn did at LT in the first game. Hairston has played penalty free ball, and Hairston gave up one sack and pressure in the first game, while Glenn gave up multiple.

So unless when I turn this game on in 10 mins and its a completely different story Im struggling to see how the author can say Glenn has been all that much better.

For the record I hate the idea of Hairston at LT.
You've always hated Hairston at LT, I realize that. You know I'm a bigger fan of it. But, I will concede that neither is the perfect embodiment of a prototypical LT.

But, these are the options we have. If you had to choose between Hairston or Glenn as our starting LT and that was your only options, which would you go with?

And, BTW, I think Hairston is a better option at RT and for the long term than Pears... But that's a different discussion.

Extremebillsfan247
08-19-2012, 01:02 PM
You've always hated Hairston at LT, I realize that. You know I'm a bigger fan of it. But, I will concede that neither is the perfect embodiment of a prototypical LT.

But, these are the options we have. If you had to choose between Hairston or Glenn as our starting LT and that was your only options, which would you go with?

And, BTW, I think Hairston is a better option at RT and for the long term than Pears... But that's a different discussion.

If you ask me, I would like to see Hairston start out the season at LT, bring Glenn along slowly. Glenn looks talented enough to do the job, but he also looks very green to me. When the Bills line up against good D-lines, he is going to get exposed a lot early on. He needs to get caught up to the speed of the game. Hairston can at least serve as a temp gap filler until then. Starting Glenn from week 1 could be a mistake by the Bills in my opinion.

YardRat
08-19-2012, 01:04 PM
If you ask me, I would like to see Hairston start out the season at LT, bring Glenn along slowly. Glenn looks talented enough to do the job, but he also looks very green to me. When the Bills line up against good D-lines, he is going to get exposed a lot early on. He needs to get caught up to the speed of the game. Hairston can at least serve as a temp gap filler until then. Starting Glenn from week 1 could be a mistake by the Bills in my opinion.

Good post :beers:

Buddo
08-19-2012, 01:18 PM

I'd concur with this, and tbh, I think that was likely 'the plan'. Trouble is, that was scuppered by Pears getting nicked up, so instead of spreading the reps, Glenn has pretty much had them all. If Pears can practise fully this week, it will be interesting to see what happens in that regard.