If we keep VY, why do we need Brad Smith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

If we keep VY, why do we need Brad Smith?

Just was thinking about it. Vince is a better passer and is a significant running threat. Wouldn't VY be a better option in the Wildcat?

I can see that you might not want to risk injury to your 2nd string QB by running him every game as your Wildcat QB. But, he's a better passer and an equal runner IMO.

I also don't consider Smith to be worth keeping as a WR. I'd rather keep Roosevelt or some other young player that's strictly a WR.

If we cut Brad Smith we get back his 3 mill per as well.

I'd seriously think about cutting Smith and Thigpen and grabbing a developmental 3rd string QB from the waiver wire.

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: If we keep VY, why do we need Brad Smith?

That's a very good question, but pretty sure Gailey has already come out and declared the #3 QB spot for Smith.

The only difference really is the depth that Smith provides at WR and KR, which may provide more value at this point than a clipboard holder.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      That's a very good question, but pretty sure Gailey has already come out and declared the #3 QB spot for Smith.

The only difference really is the depth that Smith provides at WR and KR, which may provide more value at this point than a clipboard holder.
      Didn't think of that. Good point.

Hell, I'd almost think about a younger (and much cheaper) version of a mobile, gadget QB then... Maybe Dennis Dixon? Word is Josh Johnson is on the bubble as well. Troy Smith?

And I really don't consider Smith much of a KR either.
      Last edited by X-Era; 08-19-2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
        Didn't think of that. Good point.

Hell, I'd almost think about a younger (and much cheaper) version of a mobile, gadget QB then... Maybe Dennis Dixon? Word is Josh Johnson is on the bubble as well. Troy Smith?

And I really don't consider Smith much of a KR either.
        I agree, but at least he can be plugged in during a game if a couple of guys go down with injuries. You're not going to do that with Young.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

I agree, but at least he can be plugged in during a game if a couple of guys go down with injuries. You're not going to do that with Young.
          That's true. But is that worth 3 mill per year?

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

That's true. But is that worth 3 mill per year?
            Only if he contributes as a WR and is used more extensively and effectively in the WildCat than he was last season. At this point, there really isn't anything out there to spend that 3mil on, and unless an LT, C or Safety becomes available from a future cut that would require that kind of cash there might not be a better 'bang for your buck' option for this season. Besides, more than one numbnuts will start bellowing 'Ralph is cheap!' if/when Smith gets cuts regardless of how rational the move might actually be.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record, if Young does make the team I would love to see him used in the WildCat also.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

And cutting Smith and Thigpen gives us back over 6 mill in cap space?!!!

This website is for sale! nyjetscap.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, nyjetscap.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

This website is for sale! nyjetscap.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, nyjetscap.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Only if he contributes as a WR and is used more extensively and effectively in the WildCat than he was last season. At this point, there really isn't anything out there to spend that 3mil on, and unless an LT, C or Safety becomes available from a future cut that would require that kind of cash there might not be a better 'bang for your buck' option for this season. Besides, more than one numbnuts will start bellowing 'Ralph is cheap!' if/when Smith gets cuts regardless of how rational the move might actually be.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record, if Young does make the team I would love to see him used in the WildCat also.
                It could give us cash for a player or two at a more pressing area after cuts come down. But it also could be used toward next years cap. Right now we sit at 7 mill in cap space according to the link. That would bump us to 13 mill and give us the room to extend Wood, Levitre, and Byrd.

The 2013 link puts us at 111 mill probably with a 120 or 121 cap. So next year we might be around 17 mill in space if we cut these two.

This link says to be thinking about 6.5 mill per for levitre and maybe 5 mill per for Byrd:

Buffalo Bills left guard Andy Levitre has been told that there have been some preliminary talks regarding a contract extension, according to WGR 550's Joe Buscaglia...
                Last edited by X-Era; 08-19-2012, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  Sab and TD are insignificant
                  • Sep 2002

Get rid of both, and extend Byrd and Levitre. This is a clearcut no brainer.
                  www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ublinkwescore View Post
                    Get rid of both, and extend Byrd and Levitre. This is a clearcut no brainer.
                    If at some point it comes down to those choices, it would be hard to argue against it. And I wouldn't.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                      • Sep 2008

Just was thinking about it. Vince is a better passer and is a significant running threat. Wouldn't VY be a better option in the Wildcat?

I can see that you might not want to risk injury to your 2nd string QB by running him every game as your Wildcat QB. But, he's a better passer and an equal runner IMO.

I also don't consider Smith to be worth keeping as a WR. I'd rather keep Roosevelt or some other young player that's strictly a WR.

If we cut Brad Smith we get back his 3 mill per as well.

I'd seriously think about cutting Smith and Thigpen and grabbing a developmental 3rd string QB from the waiver wire.
                      Because Smith can also line up as a receiver and Vince Young can't. It does add another element to the Bills offense even if Smith isn't very good at catching passes. JMO

Comment

• dog14787
                        • Oct 2010

I really like the idea of getting Young onto the football field...

Comment

• mightysimi
                          Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by dog14787 View Post
                          I really like the idea of getting Young onto the football field...
                          The same Vince Young that couldn't figure out the playbook? The same guy that is taking all of camp and 2 pre-season games to pull ahead of Tyler Thigpen? Why because of 1 bomb to TJ Graham. If I recall, Smith was money on third and short from the wildcat. He seemed to convert anything 2-3 and under. I don't hate Vince Young but I disagree he can do what Smith does out of the Wildcat. Smith was a running QB, used to picking his holes. VY is a scrambler.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                            • Sep 2009

All of a sudden everyone's looking to save Ralph some money. Who cares, the dude is a gone sooner or later, it's not an immediate issue, doubt he's with the club next season. Team has bigger problems than Brad Smith.

And which developmental QB will be out there for the team to sign, Pat Devlin?
                            Last edited by kingJofNYC; 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                              Will not tolerate vandalism.
                              • Apr 2006

Come on, do you really want Tyler Thigpen as your third-string quarterback? This team doesn't hire rookie quarterbacks anymore, so unless you keep Smith that's all you have.

Comment

Working...
                              X