• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

BBD: Grading Out Glenn v. Hairston

When the Bills selected OT Cordy Glenn in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft many assumed it was to take over the LT spot and become that franchise player that the Bills sorely lacked. After watching the first preseason game many fans and analysts have begun to raise questions about just how ready Glenn is to take over the LT spot. Is he the best fit or could second year OT Chris Hairston be a better fit?
    You'll find in this article the grading system I used, its a simplistic approach but I think its an effective one.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: BBD: Grading Out Glenn v. Hairston

Simplistic is what we've grown accustomed to from you.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      Simplistic is what we've grown accustomed to from you.
      As have I but that's a completely different topic.
      COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Nice write-up, appreciate the time and effort. I certainly don't recall anything glaring that would cause me to quibble over your grades. Would be nice to see both get some first team LT reps against the opponents first team defense over the next two games so the comparison could be better quantified.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          Nice write-up, appreciate the time and effort. I certainly don't recall anything glaring that would cause me to quibble over your grades. Would be nice to see both get some first team LT reps against the opponents first team defense over the next two games so the comparison could be better quantified.
          Agreed and depending the response I get I may need to add in a qualifier that Glenn is going against Jared Allen and Hairston v. a DE I cant even name.
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Raptor
            • Jan 2009

Couple things

-I think the talent level of each DE each faced should be a little more incorporated into he grading system
            -It should also be graded on a curve. Hairston has a year in the league with starts under his belt and Glenn is obviously a rookie. So even if Glenn is a little behind on a play by play basis id almost say he is grading out better considering his lack of experience compared to Hairstons and that he is also playing the harder of the two OT spots

Other than that, good read

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Great read, based on the limited information we've been provided.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

nice jerb
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                  Couple things

-I think the talent level of each DE each faced should be a little more incorporated into he grading system
                  -It should also be graded on a curve. Hairston has a year in the league with starts under his belt and Glenn is obviously a rookie. So even if Glenn is a little behind on a play by play basis id almost say he is grading out better considering his lack of experience compared to Hairstons and that he is also playing the harder of the two OT spots

Other than that, good read
                  On the second point. I absolutely cannot and will not grade on a curve, that speaks to setting a different level or standard for specific players and I refuse to do that. A starter is expected to play at a starter level no matter when, where, or how he was acquired. Im very tired of hearing people make excuses for players by saying well he's just a rookie, and while that may be true that doesn't mean you dont do a full and thorough evaluation. Just means he gets more opportunities to correct any previous issues.

On the talent level I felt that be identifying when Allen went in and went out that was the best I could do. To try and quantify the quality of the opposing DE would be impossible in terms of a number. Also to a further point you dont get docked less for getting beat no matter who it is. You're the starting LT, you're job is to stop the pass rusher and that's the standard we need to hold every OT to not just Hairston, or Young, or Glenn.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Well done man.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post

Well done man.
                      As you well know Im no fan of Hairston so this one hurt.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Plugging Glenn into LT spot was a mistake. He should have never been put there day one. He should be on the RT spot behind Pears.

Comment

• Raptor
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          On the second point. I absolutely cannot and will not grade on a curve, that speaks to setting a different level or standard for specific players and I refuse to do that. A starter is expected to play at a starter level no matter when, where, or how he was acquired. Im very tired of hearing people make excuses for players by saying well he's just a rookie, and while that may be true that doesn't mean you dont do a full and thorough evaluation. Just means he gets more opportunities to correct any previous issues.
                          Completely disagree, if a first year player is playing as good or nearly as good with a player who has starts in this league then the first year player is playing better and you without a doubt start him over the player with experience because by projecting him out he will eventually pass him

On the talent level I felt that be identifying when Allen went in and went out that was the best I could do. To try and quantify the quality of the opposing DE would be impossible in terms of a number. Also to a further point you dont get docked less for getting beat no matter who it is. You're the starting LT, you're job is to stop the pass rusher and that's the standard we need to hold every OT to not just Hairston, or Young, or Glenn.
                          Disagree again, if one OT gets beat by one of the top 5 pass rushers in the game and the other gets beat by a guy who may never see the field or even make the team one of those beats is WAY worse than the other

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                            Completely disagree, if a first year player is playing as good or nearly as good with a player who has starts in this league then the first year player is playing better and you without a doubt start him over the player with experience because by projecting him out he will eventually pass him

Disagree again, if one OT gets beat by one of the top 5 pass rushers in the game and the other gets beat by a guy who may never see the field or even make the team one of those beats is WAY worse than the other
                            Do you think our coaches are sitting in the meeting room breaking down film saying its ok he can't stay engaged because he's a rookie or because the player he went against was too good? I know for a fact they don't and I use that same mentality in breakdown. There is no special treatment and there is no different levels of standards. You're either ready to play as a starter or you're not and right now if the season started tomorrow Glenn is not ready.

That's not to say he won't be or can't be. He still has three weeks and he showed more this past week v. Robinson then he did in Week 1, but the fact that he has struggled v. Orakpo and Allen doesn't make me feel good when he's facing guys like Hali, Wake, Jones, and even Maybin. Im sorry but I expect far more from a starting LT and I dont care what year he is.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Raptor
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                              Do you think our coaches are sitting in the meeting room breaking down film saying its ok he can't stay engaged because he's a rookie or because the player he went against was too good? I know for a fact they don't and I use that same mentality in breakdown. There is no special treatment and there is no different levels of standards. You're either ready to play as a starter or you're not and right now if the season started tomorrow Glenn is not ready.
                              So your saying the coaches when evaluating two players via'ing for the same position dont take into acct the caliber of player one gets beat by as opposed to the other? Sorry no way your wrong. If player A gets beat by a Pro Bowler and player B gets beat by a scrub Player B had a worse day...This isnt taking place in a vacuum, there are variables that have to be takin into acct when looking at the whole picture and grading players

That's not to say he won't be or can't be. He still has three weeks and he showed more this past week v. Robinson then he did in Week 1, but the fact that he has struggled v. Orakpo and Allen doesn't make me feel good when he's facing guys like Hali, Wake, Jones, and even Maybin. Im sorry but I expect far more from a starting LT and I dont care what year he is.
                              Yet you want to put a guy over there who was getting beat by lesser players because he graded out better against lesser players on the right side of the OL?

Comment

Working...
                              X