PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there's relevance to preseason or not?

BillsOwnAll
08-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Im just wondering how many people take stock into what the bills STARTERS do on the field in the preseason games. I personally dont think they try. They know they're on the team and going to start why go balls to the walls in get hurt in a practice game. Its just a different mindset for them I feel when nothings on the line. Not to mention no game plan,no watching tape, no practicing plays to beat the team your playing, trying new things to see how they work in real game speed.

IMO preseason is for the backups to prove they should make the cut.

BillsOverDolphins
08-20-2012, 01:43 AM
It matters that you show any positive signs--especially if you haven't done so since Clinton was in office.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Preseason is only relevant to starters that are competing for their jobs.

ServoBillieves
08-20-2012, 02:17 AM
Of course it's for the backups. the starting rookies or first time starters get to face their first team counterparts and finally get used to the NFL speed. Backups get to prove their worth and prove they belong on the 53 man roster.

If anyone truly believes that the head coach, OC, DC, and other coaches are going to give their game plans away for free tape to future opponents in games that mean nothing... Then wow, walk towards the light to get your head out of your ... ya. If you think preseason matters so much, then let me know when TJ Graham is going to break all of Lee Evans deep-threat ball records.

My God... let me know in week 6 what's wrong with this team and how right you were before jumping on them. Remember those comeback games a year ago? Man, the first string really nailed those comebacks this season because they got to play the whole game OH WAIT!...

kishoph
08-20-2012, 04:41 AM
As far as wins and losses, not a bit. I think the starters need it to knock the rust off, but I don't put a lot into how they perform during the preseason, basically because I don't think there's a player that put's 100% into a preseason game, both mentally and definitely physically.

X-Era
08-20-2012, 05:48 AM
It's important for individual evaluation, getting back into the rhythm of football, and developing team chemistry.

I can't answer yes but I don't think it's just for starters.

better days
08-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Preseason is the time Coaches evaluate all players. It is also time many players get needlessly injured. The fact the Bills have avoided the injury bug this preseason so far could be very relevent in them having a good season.

OpIv37
08-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Im just wondering how many people take stock into what the bills STARTERS do on the field in the preseason games. I personally dont think they try. They know they're on the team and going to start why go balls to the walls in get hurt in a practice game. Its just a different mindset for them I feel when nothings on the line. Not to mention no game plan,no watching tape, no practicing plays to beat the team your playing, trying new things to see how they work in real game speed.

And what do the other teams' starters do? Go out there and play like it's the damn SB?

That's the fault in this line of thinking.

zone
08-20-2012, 08:12 AM
It's relevant only if you lose players to injury.

BillsOwnAll
08-20-2012, 08:48 AM
And what do the other teams' starters do? Go out there and play like it's the damn SB?

That's the fault in this line of thinking. when did I say the other teams do that? Preseason is irrelevant to all 32 teams starters

stuckincincy
08-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Your poll question choices are loaded.

You see, "starters" are not preordained, if the club has any brains. Newly acquired players, rookies can show that they should unseat the previous starters. If the STARTERS are dogging it, they may be in for a surprise.

OpIv37
08-20-2012, 08:52 AM
when did I say the other teams do that? Preseason is irrelevant to all 32 teams starters

So you think it means nothing when one team's starters come out and look a lot better than another team's starters? If neither team is trying and preseason is irrelevant, how do you explain the discrepancy?

The reality is that some things matter in preseason and some things don't. McKelvin has gotten beat with some consistency in the past, he's still getting beat this preseason. Fitz has had accuracy issues in the past, particularly under pressure, he still has accuracy issues this preseason. Things like that matter because they aren't going to magically go away just because the games suddenly start to count.

justasportsfan
08-20-2012, 09:10 AM
hard to tell. We don't know what's in the coaches head. We don't know what calls they are making. Some of them don't want to give away anything on tape. I doubt a lot of adjustments are being made as the games go on.