• Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Merriman to be released today

The experiment is over:

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer
    Bills have informed Shawne Merriman that they are releasing him today.
    Last edited by Skooby; 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM.
  • GingerP
    • Aug 2012

Jay Glazer says Bills cutting Merriman

On Twitter

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazerBills feel he's much better suited for a team that uses a 3-4 than a 4-3. Just texted w Merriman who confirmed they have released him

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
    Bills have informed Shawne Merriman that they are releasing him today.
    Last edited by GingerP; 08-20-2012, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Re: Merriman to be released today

Wow.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
        • Jan 2010

You guys are quick, just saw that on twitter too and came here to post lol. I really didn't see that happening, but at least he has a shot early to sign on w someone

Comment

• The King
          • Jun 2004

I dont know if he has a shot anywhere else if he cant make this team of crap LBer's than where can he go.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
            • Jan 2010

Yeah, but being a natural 3-4 olb, I don't see a conversion to 4-3 lb being easy, especially after being injured for 3 years

Comment

• The King
              • Jun 2004

I dont think it's a scheme thing. I think he's just lost too much. The scheme thing is a polite way of saying no thanks.
              It was all

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Is there a chance he failed a drug test or something ?? I read that his salary was pretty much guaranteed for everything, so this doesn't really make a lot of sense.
                Last edited by Skooby; 08-20-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• GingerP
                  • Aug 2012

Shows you how useless those flowery OTA reports are. Merriman was a great player at one time, but injuries have robbed him of his ability. His skill as a pass-rusher is not dynamic, so he is just another guy.

I understand why the Bills signed him to that contract at the time, because they were desperate to upgrade their pass rush in a division with Tom Brady. Good pass-rushers are hard to find, so they took a gamble on Merriman.

That said, in hindsight it was a terrible deal. $3M of Merriman's salary this year is guaranteed, and they already gave him a $250K workout bonus and $1M roster bonus. In 2011-2012 the Bills will have paid Merriman $9.5M dollars, and gotten pretty much nothing out of it.

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Confirmed via Vtext.

Comment

• GingerP
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ZAZusmc03 View Post
                      Yeah, but being a natural 3-4 olb, I don't see a conversion to 4-3 lb being easy, especially after being injured for 3 years
                      If someone gives him a shot, it is hard to believe he earns anything over minimum salary. The guy hasn't been able to stay on the field since 2007, and hasn't been productive when he has managed to be out there.

Comment

• John Doe
                        Florida Man
                        • Jul 2002

One of the problems with him is that if he is not a starter then he would be expected to play special teams.

He probably has not done that in his career.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

the jets ,fins or Pats are going to pick him up. BB likes to do that and get info from them.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• mikemac2001
                            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                            • Mar 2003

Kind of a shock

i actually thought he would contribute as a 2nd team rusher

MUCK
                            FIAMI

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                              That said, in hindsight it was a terrible deal. $3M of Merriman's salary this year is guaranteed, and they already gave him a $250K workout bonus and $1M roster bonus. In 2011-2012 the Bills will have paid Merriman $9.5M dollars, and gotten pretty much nothing out of it.
                              It was a great deal and still is. For $10 million in over a couple of seasons, that we would not have used anyways, we locked up a 10% (my guess at the odds he recovered) chance of having one of the best passrushers in the NFL. Passrushers of that quality typically go at the top of the draft and rarely reach free agency. Even guys that are a step below where Merriman was, rarely reach free agency and when they do they will get a lot of attention. Like highest paid defensive player in the NFL attention.

How the bet turned out doesn't change the quality of the bet. It cost the Bills nothing (the money spent on Merriman didn't prevent us from doing anything else), and it had a potentially massive reward.
                              Last edited by jimmifli; 08-20-2012, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X