PDA

View Full Version : A rumor that makes no sense.

Extremebillsfan247
08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
According to Profootballtalk, a rumor is circulating that the NFL may opt to go with 1 ref for placement of the ball on the field while all penalties will be called from the booth. What doesn't make sense to me is how that would work. What if the Bills got hit with a 4th and inches after clearly get the yardage needed for a 1st down, how would Gailey be able to challenge that without a ref on the side line to see him throw the challenge flag? I hope this rumor never turns out to be more than just that, personally I think it's a very bad idea. Your thoughts?

YardRat
08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't see it happening. At best, it's propaganda to kick the negotiations in the ass.

MidnightVoice
08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Sounds awful. An average game would take hours longer.

And where do new refs come from? Shouldn't there be a big group "being trained" for retirements etc..?

Extremebillsfan247
08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't see it happening. At best, it's propaganda to kick the negotiations in the ass. It very well could be. Now, Profootballtalk is tweeting that the NFL has neither discussed, nor considered using a 1 ref system. If there is a mod reading this, feel free to lock this thread, or move it as you see fit. Freakin Twitter man... Profootballtalk, you are blocked. Just one of those days.

DraftBoy
08-20-2012, 02:10 PM
How do you even throw the penalty flag or blow a play dead?

- - - Updated - - -

It very well could be. Now, Profootballtalk is tweeting that the NFL has neither discussed, nor considered using a 1 ref system. If there is a mod reading this, feel free to lock this thread, or move it as you see fit. Freakin Twitter man... Profootballtalk, you are blocked. Just one of those days.

More like friggin Florio, trolling for page views.

jamze132
08-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Is the NFL in that bad of financial shape to not give in to the refs at least a little bit? It's painfully obvious that the NFL needs NFL experience in officiating at this level.

DraftBoy
08-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Is the NFL in that bad of financial shape to not give in to the refs at least a little bit? It's painfully obvious that the NFL needs NFL experience in officiating at this level.

NFL is so flush with cash its kinda sickening. That being said I think there is more too this than the refs simply wanting money but I honestly have read much about it.

jamze132
08-20-2012, 02:14 PM
NFL is so flush with cash its kinda sickening. That being said I think there is more too this than the refs simply wanting money but I honestly have read much about it.
Refs basically don't want to be considered "full time refs" since a lot of them apparently have regualr day jobs that pay hansomely.

Mr. Pink
08-20-2012, 02:14 PM

From what I've heard the NFL wants to make the refs full-time and hire a couple additional crews to give some crews a week off.

Which ostensibly could end up getting a ref who consistently blows calls or makes questionable decisions more than a week off.

I can see why the refs don't want to go for this and can see why the NFL wants to institute it.

Skooby
08-20-2012, 04:52 PM
So they send out one person to be crucified on the field, it makes sense.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Sounds awful. An average game would take hours longer.

And where do new refs come from? Shouldn't there be a big group "being trained" for retirements etc..? The difference between the 2001 and 2012 referee labor stoppages is striking. No pun intended.

In the 2001 strike, the replacements all came from the higher level games: NCAA, CFL, arena football. They hired for competence, and the officials were far better as it turned out than the regulars, untainted by corruption.

In 2012, they decided to avoid putting the higher-level ones in the line of fire and hired a bunch of lower-level referees unacquainted with the speed of the game. That's why they're not doing as well as the 2001 replacements. They purposely hired bad officials to force them to go back to the negotiating table.

Raptor
08-20-2012, 06:38 PM
There is no way that is happening but this shows how inept the replacements have been