PDA

View Full Version : Is Mario Williams the best...

coastal
08-21-2012, 09:02 PM
... Defensive player in the NFL?

If not... Why did we give him a $100 million contract?

YardRat
08-21-2012, 09:08 PM
He was the best defensive player available this free agency period, coincidentally at a position that we needed to severely upgrade, and that's what the market price was going to be. To be honest, I'm not a fan of throwing around huge contracts and wasn't head-over-heels ga-ga when we signed Williams like most but it was difficult to not get caught up in the excitement at the time.

Philagape
08-21-2012, 09:09 PM
The top free agents are almost always overpaid. That's the system. It's not who's the best in the league, it's who's the best available at the time.

swiper
08-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Ralph just realized he had some extra bling from years of under-paying for newbie coordinators. He couldn't take it with him and he didn't want to leave it to that ugly thing he calls a wife.

stuckincincy
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
2 pre-season games. No stats at all...no tackles, no assists, no qb hurries - nothing. Seems like he's suffering with a case of Maybin-itis, so far...

better days
08-21-2012, 09:17 PM
He was the best defensive player available this free agency period, coincidentally at a position that we needed to severely upgrade, and that's what the market price was going to be.

EXACTLY. I can't believe anyone would need to ask that question.

BillsPride12
08-21-2012, 09:18 PM
He is going to be a pretty damn good player in the regular season for us if he can stay healthy. However I have a feeling alot of the uneducated fans out there are expecting him to be Bruce Smith good. Those are going to be the ones doing alot of complaining this season.

YardRat
08-21-2012, 09:20 PM
2 pre-season games. No stats at all...no tackles, no assists, no qb hurries - nothing. Seems like he's suffering with a case of Maybin-itis, so far...

Looks to me like the entire first string is kind of slather-assing it during the games, going through the motions and playing to not get hurt. Fingers-crossed, it's been OK in that regard so far, just hope there is another level that they are holding back on until the regular season.

jimmifli
08-21-2012, 09:36 PM

All teams can spend the same amount of money. To win a team needs to get great performance for less than other teams pay for that performance. Our offense over performs for what we pay. We spent the savings on defense.

stuckincincy
08-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Looks to me like the entire first string is kind of slather-assing it during the games, going through the motions and playing to not get hurt. Fingers-crossed, it's been OK in that regard so far, just hope there is another level that they are holding back on until the regular season.

If that's so, it doesn't look good for the season. First, that insults the fans - I know I know, its' mostly season ticket holders in the stands, but they deserve to see a half-decent effort. I hear this chattering about "plain vanilla", and not tipping the hand. That's bunk. You can't run a single play in preseason that hasn't been seen thousands of times before. The plays are simple because you have rookies and young vets - it's nothing to do with hiding your stuff to spring on other teams once the season starts.

SquishDaFish
08-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Why do you keep making stupid threads?

better days
08-21-2012, 09:38 PM

Agreed & amen to that. The Bills suffered far too many injuries last year. This year while other teams are getting injuries, the Bills have remained healthy. Let's hope it stays that way & this is our year.

MikeInRoch
08-21-2012, 09:41 PM

Or maybe it's pre-season.

SquishDaFish
08-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Gotta LOVE the experts on this site complaining about preseason stats and performance LOL. God I cant wait for the reg season

swiper
08-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Grumpy critters.

coastal
08-21-2012, 09:45 PM
U think it's stupid but find it interesting enough to comment in.

better days
08-21-2012, 09:46 PM
All teams can spend the same amount of money. To win a team needs to get great performance for less than other teams pay for that performance. Our offense over performs for what we pay. We spent the savings on defense.

Good point. The Bills have a bunch of low paid low rnd/undrafted players on offense. To improve the defense, they had to PAY.

Mike Florio said on the Shredd & Ragan show just after the Bills signed Mario, that the Bills were lucky the Titans were pursuing Manning or they would have outbid the Bills for Mario. Later on the SAME show he said the Bills overpaid for him. Nice way to talk out of both sides of your mouth Florio. The market for Mario was what it was & if the Bills did not pay him another team would have.

OpIv37
08-21-2012, 09:47 PM
It's all going to come down to how he plays.

If he gets 15 sacks, or if he gets double teamed enough to allow the rest of our DL to clean up, no one is going to give a **** how much he makes.

If he plays poorly or gets hurt, then it will be an issue because it will mean there were better ways to spend that money.

swiper
08-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Good point. The Bills have a bunch of low paid low rnd/undrafted players on offense. To improve the defense, they had to PAY.

Mike Florio said on the Shredd & Ragan show just after the Bills signed Mario, that the Bills were lucky the Titans were pursuing Manning or they would have outbid the Bills for Mario. Later on the SAME show he said the Bills overpaid for him. Nice way to talk out of both sides of your mouth Florio. The market for Mario was what it was & if the Bills did not pay him another team would have.

Darcy Regier should have been taking notes when Nix brought in Williams and held him here until he signed.

coastal
08-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Who wants to bet me a second round draft pick from last year will outperform Mario "fools gold" Williams this year?

coastal
08-21-2012, 09:52 PM
The market for Mario was what it was & if the Bills did not pay him another team would have.
Don't agree at all... His agent was out shopping him the whole time he was here.

No one wanted to match... Or probably even come close to it.

So he said "**** it" and got paid.

Exactly the kind of angry football player I want our defense built around.

stuckincincy
08-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Or maybe it's pre-season.

Indeed it is - but you can't deny that Williams' effort in the first two has given rise to some head scratching.

better days
08-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Don't agree at all... His agent was out shopping him the whole time he was here.

While it is probably true that his agent was still shopping him, you have no way of knowing what another team would have paid. I think at least one other team would have at least matched the Bills offer if not bettered it, but Williams fell in love with the Bills & Buffalo "They have deer in the back yard" So he did not want to leave.

EVERYONE in the National media was astounded Mario chose the Bills because they expected him to want to play in a big City, but Mario is a small town, Country guy & Buffalo suits him fine. He wanted to play in a system that suited him with Coaches & players he liked. He also wanted to live in a place he liked & that was Buffalo. I really don't think the money was all that important, he was going to be paid PERIOD.

THRILLHO
08-21-2012, 10:03 PM
We as fans are always complaining about how our Bills don't spend money on good players, etc etc. We FINALLY go out and blow a chunk of change on the best available man to improve our defense in the area we need it most. The man has not even played a game yet, and already complaints are flying that we should not have signed him. Damned if we do, damned if we don't...

better days
08-21-2012, 10:07 PM
We as fans are always complaining about how our Bills don't spend money on good players, etc etc. We FINALLY go out and blow a chunk of change on the best available man to improve our defense in the area we need it most. The man has not even played a game yet, and already complaints are flying that we should not have signed him. Damned if we do, damned if we don't...

Ridiculous, but not surprising.

Joe Fo Sho
08-21-2012, 10:09 PM

Guy, you live in a tree.

coastal
08-21-2012, 10:09 PM
The bills haven't made the playoffs in how many years?

And I'm the one who's ridiculous?

Maybe the decisions this organization are ridiculous.

better days
08-21-2012, 10:14 PM

What is ridiculous is that if the Bills did not pay & sign Mario, you or someone else would have complained about that. That is the point Thrillho was making & it is very true, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Philagape
08-21-2012, 10:18 PM
First, that insults the fans - I know I know, its' mostly season ticket holders in the stands, but they deserve to see a half-decent effort.

No, they don't.
Players have no obligation at all except to their team. I don't care what they do in fake football games as long as it doesn't carry over to the season.

OpIv37
08-21-2012, 10:24 PM

Look, I've been posting on this board for about 10 years. And for the overwhelming majority of the time, I've been very critical of this team. One of my biggest criticisms has been their lack of participation in FA and overwhelming failure in the rare times they did participate.

But for once, they went out and got the best defensive FA available, at perhaps our biggest position of need. And they didn't stop there- they got Anderson too. They didn't **** around and wait for all the top FA's to disappear like they usually do. They didn't sign back-ups from other teams in futile attempts to make them starters here. They got the best guys available, and they did it with authority and avoided a bidding war.

I hate the way Ralph runs this team and I have no qualms about calling him and the team out when they **** up, which is quite frequently. But this isn't one of those times. For once, they went out and acted like a real NFL team with a real owner that cares more about winning than the bottom line. Sure, there is risk involved, but this is not something for which the team should be criticized. They showed some testicular fortitude and got the two best guys available. They deserve credit on this one, not criticism, and once again, this is coming from someone who has an established track record of unabashed criticism of this team.

Joe Fo Sho
08-21-2012, 10:33 PM

You're not the only one who's ridiculous, you're just one of the most annoying. The only reason you're *****ing so much is so if the Bills do fail this year, you can be all "I told you so, guys. My internet penis is bigger than y'alls." You should hook up with PTI, you're one in the same...or maybe you are the same.

coastal
08-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Again... Who wants to bet?

Raptor
08-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Who wants to bet me a second round draft pick from last year will outperform Mario "fools gold" Williams this year?

What, already bailing on your boy Mincy?

You were saying for the longest time that he would out perform Mario with your whole "Pay for Production" speil

MikeInRoch
08-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Indeed it is - but you can't deny that Williams' effort in the first two has given rise to some head scratching.

Tell me how "fired up" Bruce played in the pre-season.

Skooby
08-22-2012, 04:08 AM
We paid to mark a turning point in the franchise, hopefully for the better.

chernobylwraiths
08-22-2012, 05:04 AM

Here's to hoping he's playing the preseason "Bruce Smithesque" and waiting for the real games.

Extremebillsfan247
08-22-2012, 06:10 AM

If not... Why did we give him a $100 million contract? No, he's not the best defensive player in the league. He was the best player other than Manning available in free agency, and he's damn good. You don't get a player of his caliber unless your willing to pay a lot of money to get him, especially in Buffalo. That's just a fact some fans have a tough time coming to grips with.

gebobs
08-22-2012, 07:41 AM
I've only watched a bit of the Minnesota game. Has he even played?

The King
08-22-2012, 07:44 AM
No, he's not the best but he's an elite pass rusher who came to a team that had very little to offer other than cash. So that's why.

gebobs
08-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Tell me how "fired up" Bruce played in the pre-season.
Bruce Smith didn't have to prove a damn thing. Perhaps we'll be saying the same thing about Mario too. But for now, Williams does have to prove a damn thing. A hundred million damn things. It's all well and good if he comes out of the gate in September in all pro form, but any Bills fan has got to be wondering.

better days
08-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Bruce Smith didn't have to prove a damn thing. Perhaps we'll be saying the same thing about Mario too. But for now, Williams does have to prove a damn thing. A hundred million damn things. It's all well and good if he comes out of the gate in September in all pro form, but any Bills fan has got to be wondering.

Well, I am not wondering, I am anticipating. This Bills team will get to the QB & Mario will be a big reason for that. Even if it is another player that gets the sack, that player can thank Mario for drawing the attention away from them.

The Jokeman
08-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Is he the best in the NFL? No but if healthy definately warrants some discussion. Though one discussion that won't be had is if he is the best defensive (or arguably overall) player on the Bills. I would have to say yes although I think Marcell Dareus because of his upside might be one we could add to the debate. Either way am glad the Bills have both. I only wish we shored up the LT position this offseason and a more proven threat in the receiving game to work with Stevie.

Pinkerton Security
08-22-2012, 09:13 AM
WORST. THREAD. EVER. You gotta be kidding me people.

SquishDaFish
08-22-2012, 09:18 AM
How much we betting big boy. Tell me which 2nd rd pick your talking about too genius

justasportsfan
08-22-2012, 09:23 AM

The Pats didn't even play Brady and I don't disagree with that move since Brady is already proven. Mario is proven too and we're back to Kelsay starting if anything happens to Mario in preseason.

Joe Fo Sho
08-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Again... Who wants to bet?

What's the bet?

TigerJ
08-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Inflation. As YardRat stated, he was the best defensive player in free agency this past offseason. He also happens to be in his prime. Very likely the best defensive player in free agency the next offseason will get as big or bigger contract than Williams. That's simply the way it works.

Pinkerton Security
08-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Tom Brady's preseason stats: 0 TDs, 4.3 ypa, only 4 completions, 67 QB rating...why didnt the Pats cut him already, its pretty obvious he sucks and isnt worth his contract either.

Please explain to my why my post above is different than the original post of this thread, because there's no difference...tiny sample sizes mean nothing. If we get to week 6 of the regular season and he still doesnt have a sack or a QB hurry, then complain, not now.

better days
08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Inflation. As YardRat stated, he was the best defensive player in free agency this past offseason. He also happens to be in his prime. Very likely the best defensive player in free agency the next offseason will get as big or bigger contract than Williams. That's simply the way it works.

I doubt a player as good & young as Mario will become a FA next year. Maybe the next decade. It was a perfect storm for the Bills to get him. Coming off an injury & the Texans switch to the 3-4. They played well without him so did not feel they needed to spend the money on him. Usually a player that good & young gets resigned or franchised.

The last buffalo fan
08-22-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't want a ****ing Michael Vick here, so I don't care if Mario plays at all at preseason. I rather have a prospect or a player on thin ice, playing their ass on these so important games.

MikeInRoch
08-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Mario has to prove zero in the pre-season.

justasportsfan
08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Look, I've been posting on this board for about 10 years. And for the overwhelming majority of the time, I've been very critical of this team. One of my biggest criticisms has been their lack of participation in FA and overwhelming failure in the rare times they did participate.

But for once, they went out and got the best defensive FA available, at perhaps our biggest position of need. And they didn't stop there- they got Anderson too. They didn't **** around and wait for all the top FA's to disappear like they usually do. They didn't sign back-ups from other teams in futile attempts to make them starters here. They got the best guys available, and they did it with authority and avoided a bidding war.

I hate the way Ralph runs this team and I have no qualms about calling him and the team out when they **** up, which is quite frequently. But this isn't one of those times. For once, they went out and acted like a real NFL team with a real owner that cares more about winning than the bottom line. Sure, there is risk involved, but this is not something for which the team should be criticized. They showed some testicular fortitude and got the two best guys available. They deserve credit on this one, not criticism, and once again, this is coming from someone who has an established track record of unabashed criticism of this team.

NIce.

A little correction though.

the bills have done this more than once. During the 80's the bills brought in Bennett , Paup, Spielman etc.
During Donahoe's time they brought in Milloy, Fletcher, Spikes, Bledsoe, Sam Adams etc.

During MArv's time, they brought in Dockery and co.

The moves may not always pan out but Ralph has always been willing to listen to his GM's. Unfortunately, giving the control to guys like Jauron and Modrak were mistakes.

gebobs
08-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Mario has to prove zero in the pre-season.
Did I say he did? No. I specifically said "It's all well and good if he comes out of the gate in September in all pro form". But you can't blame people for beginning to wonder if he will.

THATHURMANATOR
08-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Now we are questioning the Mario Williams signing because he didn't get a sack in preseason.

DISGUSTING.....

Is he the best Defensive player in football? NO. but he is up there. Since when does the best player always make the most money? Free agency dictates that.

BertSquirtgum
08-22-2012, 12:08 PM

Nope. You're being ridiculous.

gebobs
08-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Now we are questioning the Mario Williams signing because he didn't get a sack in preseason.

DISGUSTING.....
FWIW, coastal has been questioning long before preseason even started though it might only have been on the Range.

Personally, I think he's going to be great, but as a Bills fan I am always prepared to be crushed under the weight of unfulfilled hype.

swiper
08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Did I say he did? No. I specifically said "It's all well and good if he comes out of the gate in September in all pro form". But you can't blame people for beginning to wonder if he will.

Sure you can.

MikeInRoch
08-22-2012, 12:27 PM

Sure I can. Anyone who thinks that pre-season matters in that respect doesn't know what they are talking about.

gebobs
08-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Sure I can. Anyone who thinks that pre-season matters in that respect doesn't know what they are talking about.
Really? A guy who has missed the better part of the last 2 seasons, signs for a 100 million, is completely invisible for two admittedly meaningless games, and no one is allowed to have even a shred of doubt or they have to turn in their fan cred? That's a bit much especially for a Bills fan.

Saying that no one can have any doubt is saying he's a sure thing. If you think any player is a sure thing, I have to wonder if you know what you are talking about.

I admire your confidence in this organization. It's not at all merited, but I admire it nonetheless. Less admirable though is your sanctimony.

Joe Fo Sho
08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Really? A guy who has missed the better part of the last 2 seasons, signs for a 100 million, is completely invisible for two admittedly meaningless games, and no one is allowed to have even a shred of doubt or they have to turn in their fan cred? That's a bit much especially for a Bills fan.

Saying that no one can have any doubt is saying he's a sure thing. If you think any player is a sure thing, I have to wonder if you know what you are talking about.

I admire your confidence in this organization. It's not at all merited, but I admire it nonetheless. Less admirable though is your sanctimony.

Can you define 'the better part' of a season? He's played 18 games over the last 2 years.

gebobs
08-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Can you define 'the better part' of a season? He's played 18 games over the last 2 years.
Edit: "nearly the better part of two seasons".

Happy?

Joe Fo Sho
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Edit: "nearly the better part of two seasons".

Happy?

Eh, I guess.

The guy is entering his 7th season, whereby his first 6 seasons have been summed up to conclude the guy is a Super Star in this league. Can you compare these 2 preseason games to his other preseason games to give your argument a point of comparison?

gebobs
08-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Eh, I guess.

The guy is entering his 7th season, whereby his first 6 seasons have been summed up to conclude the guy is a Super Star in this league. Can you compare these 2 preseason games to his other preseason games to give your argument a point of comparison?
Let me clear. I am not making any argument that Williams is going to suck or be a bust or anything like that. Neither am I saying anything here based solely upon 2 games preseason games. But those games sure didn't do anything to assuage any doubts. I only watched the Minnesota game. I'm still not sure he played. I don't recall hearing his name once. I did see the Bills first units get manhandled on both sides of the ball so if he was just playing possum, he was in good company.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call him a superstar at this point, but let's not get lost in that debate. He's definitely among the top 10, perhaps the top 5, based on a solid run of four years. But anyone that has missed as many games as he has something to prove. He's damned good and I am happy as a pig in **** that he's on my team. But if he doesn't have many doubters among Bills fans, I assure you there are plenty everywhere else.

Bruce Smith missed the better part of his 7th season (let's see...5/16...better part: check) and there were plenty who doubted he would come back to his pre-injury form. Even some Bills fans. *gasp* The horror. Of course, knee injuries in football were once a death knell. I don't have any idea what a ruptured tit muscle is like and I suppose treatment of sports hernias has emerged from the dark ages, so I don't suppose either are career threatening.

I don't mean to compare him to Bruce other than that. It would be unfair to compare Williams to one of the best all time at this point. I hope to hell in a few years we can.

I don't know. Maybe I've been a fan too long and I've become jaded. No one loves the Bills more than me, but I feel like the battered housewife. The honeymoon in the 60's was short but sweet and followed by 20+ years of blackout drunken rages and too many black eyes to count. Sure, they came home all apologies and roses for the franchise glory years, but have since reverted to their old ways. ;-)

Joe Fo Sho
08-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Let me clear. I am not making any argument that Williams is going to suck or be a bust or anything like that. Neither am I saying anything here based solely upon 2 games preseason games. But those games sure didn't do anything to assuage any doubts. I only watched the Minnesota game. I'm still not sure he played. I don't recall hearing his name once. I did see the Bills first units get manhandled on both sides of the ball so if he was just playing possum, he was in good company.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call him a superstar at this point, but let's not get lost in that debate. He's definitely among the top 10, perhaps the top 5, based on a solid run of four years. But anyone that has missed as many games as he has something to prove. He's damned good and I am happy as a pig in **** that he's on my team. But if he doesn't have many doubters among Bills fans, I assure you there are plenty everywhere else.

Bruce Smith missed the better part of his 7th season (let's see...5/16...better part: check) and there were plenty who doubted he would come back to his pre-injury form. Even some Bills fans. *gasp* The horror. Of course, knee injuries in football were once a death knell. I don't have any idea what a ruptured tit muscle is like and I suppose treatment of sports hernias has emerged from the dark ages, so I don't suppose either are career threatening.

I don't mean to compare him to Bruce other than that. It would be unfair to compare Williams to one of the best all time at this point. I hope to hell in a few years we can.

I don't know. Maybe I've been a fan too long and I've become jaded. No one loves the Bills more than me, but I feel like the battered housewife. The honeymoon in the 60's was short but sweet and followed by 20+ years of blackout drunken rages and too many black eyes to count. Sure, they came home all apologies and roses for the franchise glory years, but have since reverted to their old ways. ;-)

Ok, I get that. So you say you have doubt. Everyone has doubt, but to varying degrees. How much do you doubt that he'll return to form? What chances are you giving him to return to glory? 10%? 80%? Just curious.

swiper
08-22-2012, 02:44 PM

Your pedantic approach to the subject after just two pre-season games is a bit much. Can we just watch what the guy does over the next four or five weeks before we start trying to knock him down?

MikeInRoch
08-22-2012, 02:46 PM

It's fine to have doubt. What I'm arguing is that his performance (or lack thereof) in the preseason games should not impact that doubt. Preseason simply does not matter. We've seen multiple examples of it going both ways. Merriman looked great last pre-season, and how did that translate to the regular season?

The King
08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
didnt the starting dline register like 3 sacks on 3 drives?

DraftBoy
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
didnt the starting dline register like 3 sacks on 3 drives?

I think it was 2.

gebobs
08-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Your pedantic approach to the subject after just two pre-season games is a bit much.
Tain't nothin' more pedantic than calling someone pedantic. ;-)

Can we just watch what the guy does over the next four or five weeks before we start trying to knock him down?
I'm "knocking him down", am I?

He's definitely among the top 10, perhaps the top 5. He's damned good and I am happy as a pig in **** that he's on my team.

Mr. Wentworth just asked me to come in here and shoot the **** about the Bills, that's all. I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

coastal
08-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Let's here some predictions... How many sacks does Fools Gold Williams register this year.

I say he struggles to break 10.

kingJofNYC
08-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Is Linkin Park still relevant?

Joe Fo Sho
08-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Let's here some predictions... How many sacks does Fools Gold Williams register this year.

I say he struggles to break 10.

Really going out on a limb there, huh? If he only has 9 sacks he's a bum then?

I think a better bet would be on total sacks for the team, as Mario will command double teams and others should be able to get to the quarterback.

coastal
08-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Really going out on a limb there, huh? If he only has 9 sacks he's a bum then?

I think a better bet would be on total sacks for the team, as Mario will command double teams and others should be able to get to the quarterback.
Jabaal Sheard had 8 as a rookie.

Skooby
08-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Jabaal Sheard had 8 as a rookie.

Mario's ranked a 97 on madden (top 5 D), Bills have a lights out defense line on the game.

YardRat
08-22-2012, 07:57 PM
If the team can get 44 or more sacks this season and he stays healthy all year, we'll be able to justify the money. Hell I'm hoping Mario gets 9 against AFC East opponents all by himself. :D

#1, though, is the unit is still going to have to prove they can stop the run, because if they can't yet again then rushing the passer becomes a moot point.

BertSquirtgum
08-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Mario's ranked a 97 on madden (top 5 D), Bills have a lights out defense line on the game.

Who the **** cares what Madden rankings are? Get real.

ServoBillieves
08-22-2012, 10:08 PM

Because Mitchell55 can somehow still make accounts.

gebobs
08-22-2012, 11:27 PM
If the team can get 44 or more sacks this season and he stays healthy all year, we'll be able to justify the money.
Sure thing. I don't care much about who gets the money just so long as the total payroll performs. The last time the Bills got more than 36 sacks was in '06...the last time they had a winning season. If they break 40, they have a shot.

If they do and Williams only has 8 of them, don't care. I couldn't care less if he's not considered the best individual player if he plays on the best team. If the Bills go 40+, damn well know he's a big reason why.

starrymessenger
08-23-2012, 02:42 PM
If he is healthy the other Williams may prove to be our best D-Lineman this year.Wait and see.

SABURZFAN
08-23-2012, 05:08 PM

to prove that The Old Fart isn't cheap.

cookie G
08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Sure thing. I don't care much about who gets the money just so long as the total payroll performs. The last time the Bills got more than 36 sacks was in '06...the last time they had a winning season. If they break 40, they have a shot.

If they do and Williams only has 8 of them, don't care. I couldn't care less if he's not considered the best individual player if he plays on the best team. If the Bills go 40+, damn well know he's a big reason why.

I don't really care who gets the sacks either, myself. Sacks themselves aren't the end all anyways, if good pressure is applied, sooner or later, passes will be forced and turnovers will occur.

I saw that earlier in the thread, you asked if he played against Wash and Min. He did, roughly a dozen plays per game.

There are a few things that stand out when I watched him play...

1) He plays far more under control than people would suspect. He protects his area first, then pursues. It is almost like he went to Alabama and played under Saban. He plays in a controlled aggression manner. Complete opposite of Kelsay.

2) He doesn't just set the edge, he owns it. On run plays when he isn't double teamed, he disengages from the tackle very quickly. He then gets to a spot 2-3 behind the LOS and holds the edge. It becomes important, because this team has been gashed enough in the past couple of years by cut back runs. I can think of 2 plays in particular, that seem small, but were actually huge plays.

Against Washington, there was a called play either to the right or up the middle, in either event the RB took one step to the right, saw him waiting there, stopped, and Kyle Williams nabbed him from behind for no gain. Against Minny, there was a called play up the middle that went for a no gain. Except no one was on the right side, except him. It was a play that any decent RB could have bounced outside for a big gain, except he was there protecting the edge. The RB was redirected inside for no gain.

As far as protecting the edge, there is a huge drop off when Kelsay is in, as he gets taken out of way too many plays. He'll get someone in the backfield every so often, but is more likely to give up a huge hole on the right.

3) In pass rush, I haven't seen him beat someone cleanly, but he is walking RT's back. He's going to beat them around in the edge, especially later in games. But right now at least, the pocket is moving on his side. For instance, in the Dareus sack against Minny, the pocket was collapsing from the middle. In the past, a QB would a) scramble outside if the DE or b) scramble through the RT hole if the DE took a wide, looping rush. But Ponder had no where to go because Mario had the right side closed off, and Anderson was bearing down from the left. So he went up the middle where Dareus was waiting.

I have no problem with someone redirecting a QB or RB and someone else getting credit for the tackle.