PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: 11 of Fitz's 23 picks were his fault

Philagape
08-22-2012, 07:38 PM
In an attempt to explain away that startling total, we locked some Trending Buffalo staffers in the “film room” and wouldn’t let them out until they reached consensus on an explanation for each of the TWENTY THREE picks.

http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/the-truth-about-fitz-and-picks/

:couch:

YardRat
08-22-2012, 08:07 PM
I think they were a little bit generous in their scoring rubric.

BillsOwnAll
08-22-2012, 08:59 PM
I mean im one of the biggest fitz defender on this board, but I cant agree with "good defense" being taken away from his total. Through receivers hands, 4th and longs. Is ok whatever, but fitz should see the good def and in turn not throw the ball there in a perfect world.

DraftBoy
08-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Not sure I quite understand the situation aspect of the scoring...

BertSquirtgum
08-22-2012, 09:33 PM
I call bull****.

Oaf
08-22-2012, 09:57 PM
The Giants picks still haunt me today.

BertSquirtgum
08-23-2012, 12:08 AM
The Giants picks still haunt me today.

Two of the exact same throws. For somebody so smart, you would think he would learn from his previous mistake. What a bum.

stuckincincy
08-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Not sure I quite understand the situation aspect of the scoring...

Nor I. I'd define it as things like being down late and heaving a long one on 3rd or 4th down. Or midfield in the waning seconds of the 2nd, and taking a shot at a score.

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Nor I. I'd define it as things like being down late and heaving a long one on 3rd or 4th down. Or midfield in the waning seconds of the 2nd, and taking a shot at a score.

Yea some of those like INT #3;

INT # 3: Week 3 vs NE, Q1 (:21) Down 14-0, 4th and 14 at NE35
Fitzpatrick stepped up in the pocket and tried to squeeze in a pass to David Nelson between defenders on 4th and 14.

That has little to nothing to do with the situation and everything to do with Fitz forcing a pass into coverage.

stuckincincy
08-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Yea some of those like INT #3;

That has little to nothing to do with the situation and everything to do with Fitz forcing a pass into coverage.

The author blamed that one on the receiver. Odd.

Odd play decision by the coaches, IMO. NE is up 14 - 0 at the :21 mark of the first. I have the ball on NE's 35. I'd either try the FG or punt it. No way am I going to try and make a 4th and 14 on a 35-yard field that early in the game.

Philagape
08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
I think the point is, on 4th-and-14, a QB has no choice but to take greater risks with throws that he wouldn't otherwise try.

stuckincincy
08-23-2012, 08:35 AM
I think the point is, on 4th-and-14, a QB has no choice but to take greater risks with throws that he wouldn't otherwise try.

Yes - that is certainly so. I just question the play call to go for it in that situation.

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 08:54 AM

Yes but he always bears the responsibility of not forcing throws. I find it difficult to see how a situation can be blamed for an INT being thrown short of the Hail Mary INT.

GingerP
08-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Nice.

So this guy gets Fitz down to 11 interceptions. Also, we can throw out any ints after the Washington game, because the ribs were at fault after all.

That means Fitz actually had -4 interceptions. That should help his QB Rating too.

Jeff1220
08-23-2012, 09:04 AM
This article has "adjusted interceptions"which also accounts for picks that were dropped:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/adjusted-interceptions-2011

stuckincincy
08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
This article has "adjusted interceptions"which also accounts for picks that were dropped:

Thanks - appreciate the additional analysis.

justasportsfan
08-23-2012, 10:05 AM
article written most likely by Fitz's relative.

Philagape
08-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes but he always bears the responsibility of not forcing throws. I find it difficult to see how a situation can be blamed for an INT being thrown short of the Hail Mary INT.

A forced throw is one of those greater risks. If the choice is forcing the throw or likely not getting enough for the first down, you force the throw.

BertSquirtgum
08-23-2012, 10:29 AM
article written most likely by Fitz's relative.

More than likely, it was written by Fitz himself.

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 10:39 AM
A forced throw is one of those greater risks. If the choice is forcing the throw or likely not getting enough for the first down, you force the throw.

No you don't, a turnover is always worse than punting the ball and playing the field position game. Especially in the 1st Quarter down only two scores.

justasportsfan
08-23-2012, 10:45 AM
More than likely, it was written by Fitz himself.

He's a harvard grad. The words would've been more eloquent.

Philagape
08-23-2012, 12:20 PM
No you don't, a turnover is always worse than punting the ball and playing the field position game. Especially in the 1st Quarter down only two scores.

Not punting is the coach's decision.

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Not punting is the coach's decision.

And throwing the ball into coverage is the QB's decision.

Im not excusing Gailey for calling the play (which by the way isn't technically wrong) but we aren't discussing that.

gebobs
08-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Oy...VY has a rate of 7%.

Frickin' Rodgers man...less than 1%.

Philagape
08-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Im not excusing Gailey for calling the play (which by the way isn't technically wrong) but we aren't discussing that.

You're the one talking about punting.
On 4th and 14, throwing into coverage may very well be the right decision.

stuckincincy
08-23-2012, 12:44 PM

I am discussing that. I do not excuse Gailey. There is this trend - the talking heads like to use the term "no man's land", or some such. I see it every Sunday - it's not exclusive to BUF.

Roll the dice and try the 52 yard FG from the 35. Ball on the 35 isn't the best, but never turn your back on a scoring opportunity IMO. Or punt. That Fitz forced the ball is so - but I won't chide my qb for doing so, faced with 4th and 14 in a shortened field.

PTI
08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
The INT column in Fitz's stats says 23.

If that game is played I want them to count how many just threw up for grabs that defenders dropped of WRs had to play CB on.

gebobs
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
The INT column in Fitz's stats says 23.

If that game is played I want them to count how many just threw up for grabs that defenders dropped of WRs had to play CB on.
Translation please.

PTI
08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Translation please.

Pick machine.

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 02:16 PM
You're the one talking about punting.
On 4th and 14, throwing into coverage may very well be the right decision.

Yes I acknowledge that, my mistake.

You'll have to lay out exactly how throwing directly into coverage is ever the right option, outside of the hail mary play.

PTI
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM

You'll have to lay out exactly how throwing directly into coverage is ever the right option, outside of the hail mary play.

the 3rd and 1 30 yard pass overthrown by 10 yards is a great option too.

Philagape
08-23-2012, 03:37 PM

When the other options have no better a chance of getting 14 yards.
Defense will be all over the IMs. The other feasible options would be checking down and hoping for YAC; throwing downfield; or scrambling for it, and those aren't any safer.

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
When the other options have no better a chance of getting 14 yards.
Defense will be all over the IMs. The other feasible options would be checking down and hoping for YAC; throwing downfield; or scrambling for it, and those aren't any safer.

So just so Im clear here, you'd rather throw a pick than a check down? While both are turnovers, only one of those results in the potential of it turning into an immediate touchdown.

Philagape
08-23-2012, 04:27 PM
So just so Im clear here, you'd rather throw a pick than a check down? While both are turnovers, only one of those results in the potential of it turning into an immediate touchdown.

The odds of that are low enough for me, depending on the route.
A pick also may get you better field position than a TO on downs. (The result of the play in question was a net gain of 5 yards)

SABURZFAN
08-23-2012, 05:00 PM
but.... but.... but he was injured for a lot of those picks. let's just make up an excuse that we all can agree on. :birds:

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
The odds of that are low enough for me, depending on the route.
A pick also may get you better field position than a TO on downs. (The result of the play in question was a net gain of 5 yards)

The odds of a check down being returned for a TD are 0%, and I far prefer those odds.

YardRat
08-23-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm certainly not sticking up for the ratings used in this 'study', or for Fitz, but if it's 4th and 14 in your opponent's territory and you don't punt, you damn well better attempt to get the ball 14 yards downfield for the first down. C'mon...how many times over the years have we all *****ed about Johnson, Edwards, etc going for the checkdown in similar situations instead of throwing for the stick?

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm certainly not sticking up for the ratings used in this 'study', or for Fitz, but if it's 4th and 14 in your opponent's territory and you don't punt, you damn well better attempt to get the ball 14 yards downfield for the first down. C'mon...how many times over the years have we all *****ed about Johnson, Edwards, etc going for the checkdown in similar situations instead of throwing for the stick?

Plenty but some of those check downs were the right read. You don't force throws into coverage just because.