PDA

View Full Version : Gailey on Glenn: "He's not done great"

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19883419/bills-offensive-line-needs-a-lot-more-work

CBS Sports Rapid Reporter Mark Ludwiczak hits the nail on the head with this report.

Bills offensive line coach Joe D'Alessandris earned rave reviews for his coaching performance in 2011. Under his guidance, the revamped line easily exceeded expectations and gave up an NFL-low 23 sacks.

The Bills need him to work some magic if they hope to achieve similar results up front.

“We're not as far along as we should be,” LG Andy Levitre said.

Also full quote from Gailey on Glenn;

“Cordy's got great ability,” coach Chan Gailey said. “Ability's not the issue. It's just playing time. I think if he gets playing time, he's got a chance to be a really good football player. He's not done great against the two good pass rushers he's faced (in preseason games), but he's done OK. And I think that we see a great upside with him.”

He's done ok and he is your starting LT...let's hope he begins to pick it up very quickly.

OpIv37
08-23-2012, 12:30 PM
No big deal.

After all, we have a QB who is great at handling pressure. And a quality back-up QB. Oh, wait.....

Sometimes I have to wonder what this team is thinking. They sign Fitz to a big deal, then get him no WR help and put him behind a rookie LT. Not that I'm making excuses for Fitz- his accuracy problems are no one's fault but his own- but it just seems like they're making it harder on him than it needs to be.

stuckincincy
08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
OL coach needs to move his left foot an inch or so out.

OL coach also needs to hammer home - constantly - the importance of keeping the feet north-south. You crab them a bit this or that way, you tip off a canny defender. Never lean one way or the other, and keep yer down knuckles straight.

better days
08-23-2012, 01:06 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19883419/bills-offensive-line-needs-a-lot-more-work

CBS Sports Rapid Reporter Mark Ludwiczak hits the nail on the head with this report.

He's done ok and he is your starting LT...let's hope he begins to pick it up very quickly.

If I were a Jets fan, I would be more concerned with the OL than I am about the Bills. Hunter is a turnstile & this is only preseason. By the time the real season starts & defenses play games Hunter will get Sanchez killed.

Fitz does get the ball out much faster than Sanchez & if worse comes to worse, the Bills can move Hairston back to LT, he did not do bad there last year.

Skooby
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Glenn is a rookie starter at LT, let's wait until the regular-season to see how he does.

Pinkerton Security
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
OL coach needs to move his left foot an inch or so out.

OL coach also needs to hammer home - constantly - the importance of keeping the feet north-south. You crab them a bit this or that way, you tip off a canny defender. Never lean one way or the other, and keep yer down knuckles straight.

so you think you know better than a line coach who has been a coach since 1983?

stuckincincy
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Yes - when it comes to foot placement. Football coaches drip and drip with ego. Even the pee wee players notice that.

Nobody hires them to run a business, despite the hype about their "leadership" skills. They live in a little closed world for the most part, hired and re-hired within the exclusive club.

Pinkerton Security
08-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes - when it comes to foot placement. Football coaches drip and drip with ego. Even the pee wee players notice that.

Nobody hires them to run a business, despite the hype about their "leadership" skills. They live in a little closed world for the most part, hired and re-hired within the exclusive club.

So just for the record, you think you could do a better job than an NFL O-line coach...got it. Just because they have egos doesnt mean they arent there for a reason. What is your profession? Have you ever held a coaching position, or played?

OpIv37
08-23-2012, 01:40 PM

it wouldn't be the first time that someone on this board knew better than a coach or FO person employed by the team.

- - - Updated - - -

So just for the record, you think you could do a better job than an NFL O-line coach...got it. Just because they have egos doesnt mean they arent there for a reason. What is your profession? Have you ever held a coaching position, or played?

Just because they are there doesn't mean they are competent. Performance dictates competence, not title.

better days
08-23-2012, 01:44 PM
it wouldn't be the first time that someone on this board THOUGHT he knew better than a coach or FO person employed by the team.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because they are there doesn't mean they are competent. Performance dictates competence, not title.

Fixed that for you, & from last years OL play with all the injuries the Bills had, I think performance has been proved.

OpIv37
08-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Fixed that for you, & from last years OL play with all the injuries the Bills had, I think performance has been proved.

Last year's OL play wasn't all that great, and one year could easily be a fluke.

And it's not a matter of "thought." there are dozens, if not hundreds, of examples all over this board of posters being repeatedly right while the FO and coaches were repeatedly wrong.

stuckincincy
08-23-2012, 01:50 PM

I'm a retired chemist. I've watched pro ball for over a half a century. I've never played, never coached. BTW, there's a clown on the radio here, a so-so MLB player named Tracy Jones, who likes to bark out time to time and spew along the lines of "You didn't PLAY the game !!!' Fine. Without fans forking over their $, that cur would have gotten 50 bucks per game.

Like I said previously, this gig has been running for over a hundred years. It is NOT rocket science. Haven't you noticed how often college and pro coaches jump ship? It's show biz.

Open up your peepers this season and watch the feet, the leanings, the eyeballs etc.

better days
08-23-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm a retired chemist. I've watched pro ball for over a half a century. I've never played, never coached. BTW, there's a clown on the radio here, a so-so MLB player named Tracy Jones, who likes to bark out time to time and spew along the lines of "You didn't PLAY the game !!!' Fine. Without fans forking over their $, that cur would have gotten 50 bucks per game.

Like I said previously, this gig has been running for over a hundred years. It is NOT rocket science. Haven't you noticed how often college and pro coaches jump ship? It's show biz.

Open up your peepers this season and watch the feet, the leanings, the eyeballs etc.

Well, I think Chemistry has much more to do with football than rocket science so maybe you do know something.

DraftBoy
08-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Just to note he is 100% right in terms of footwork and alignment.

- - - Updated - - -

If I were a Jets fan, I would be more concerned with the OL than I am about the Bills. Hunter is a turnstile & this is only preseason. By the time the real season starts & defenses play games Hunter will get Sanchez killed.

Fitz does get the ball out much faster than Sanchez & if worse comes to worse, the Bills can move Hairston back to LT, he did not do bad there last year.

But we're Bills fans so we worry about the Bills first.

Buddo
08-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I haven't got time to re-watch the pre-season games atm, but if Glenn wasn't getting any help at all, against the likes of Orakpo and Allen, then we might not be as badly off as we are making out. Glenn can be given help, when it's needed, and can get game reps along the way, with hopefully, less assistance being required as we move forward through the season.
I can't forget how Allen made Bell his own personal turnstile when we played the Vikes last year, and I didn't see that from Allen this time around.

better days
08-23-2012, 02:17 PM
- - - Updated - - -

But we're Bills fans so we worry about the Bills first.

Agreed. I am just surprised that the OL seems to be the biggest concern this offseason. Maybe someone should start a thread about the WRs or LBs.

starrymessenger
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm no OL coach but for what it's worth I think Chan's evaluation is right on. I see a very big athletic kid with long arms good balance and pretty nimble feet who just needs reps, lots of them. Just compare his preseason tape with the kid the Steelers drafted and you see the difference. Of course he is raw. It is what it is. Pats are having OLine problems too I gather, as are the Jets.

The Jokeman
08-23-2012, 02:41 PM
No big deal.

After all, we have a QB who is great at handling pressure. And a quality back-up QB. Oh, wait.....

Sometimes I have to wonder what this team is thinking. They sign Fitz to a big deal, then get him no WR help and put him behind a rookie LT. Not that I'm making excuses for Fitz- his accuracy problems are no one's fault but his own- but it just seems like they're making it harder on him than it needs to be.

They tried to get that WR when brought in Robert Meachem. Now the question is whether or not TJ Graham, as a rookie, will give him the help he needs. I will agree though on how we handled the LT situation but the FA landscape was pretty bare and it's still up for debate if Riley Reiff or some other 1st Round prospect is better than Glenn. This is why I always say it's better to get the franchise build before the QB as without the right weapons if great QBs fan fail.

stuckincincy
08-23-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm no OL coach but for what it's worth I think Chan's evaluation is right on. I see a very big athletic kid with long arms good balance and pretty nimble feet who just needs reps, lots of them. Just compare his preseason tape with the kid the Steelers drafted and you see the difference. Of course he is raw. It is what it is. Pats are having OLine problems too I gather, as are the Jets.

I'd like to see him keep that right elbow/arm down just a bit more right after the snap and the first move back. I'd also not play him more than, say, 15 snaps in the 1st half of the season at tackle. At LT, you extend the arms a lot. I'm not sure this youngster has the college reps to have learned the flash reflex to protect the ribs.

I'd ease him in with 5 or so plays at guard, when I was in a favorable score and field position spot.

starrymessenger
08-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I'd like to see him keep that right elbow/arm down just a bit more right after the snap and the first move back. I'd also not play him more than, say, 15 snaps in the 1st half of the season at tackle. At LT, you extend the arms a lot. I'm not sure this youngster has the college reps to have learned the flash reflex to protect the ribs.I'd ease him in with 5 or so plays at guard, when I was in a favorable score and field position spot.Are you sure you are not an O-line coach?

Goobylal
08-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Did anyone expect Glenn to "do great" facing Orakpo and Allen. His first 2 starts ever in the NFL, against 2 of the premier (still pissed that they took Maybin over Orakpo!) pass rushers?

YardRat
08-23-2012, 05:44 PM
He's going to get called for lining up too far off the line once the regular refs get back on the job. The first couple of games it looks to me like he's really pushing the envelope with the cheating back.

Still think it's a bad move to hand him the LT job right now, would rather see Hairston there and let Glenn work his way into the line-up, getting reps at both T positions a few times per game, etc.

But it is what it is.

coastal
08-23-2012, 06:56 PM
He's going to get called for lining up too far off the line once the regular refs get back on the job. The first couple of games it looks to me like he's really pushing the envelope with the cheating back.

Still think it's a bad move to hand him the LT job right now, would rather see Hairston there and let Glenn work his way into the line-up, getting reps at both T positions a few times per game, etc.

But it is what it is.
Couldn't agree more.

Like I said in another thread.

Stupid decision.

BertSquirtgum
08-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Anyone watch hard knocks? Jonathan Martin looks like an actual turnstile. He was on his ass at least 3 times just on the show.

k-oneputt
08-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Well you loved Mike Adams before the draft and he is on the way to the bench for a beat up has been.

TigerJ
08-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Obviously, the Bills would be better off if Cordy Glenn did great against the defensive ends he face in the first two preseason games. I really don't think it is a great shock to Chan Gailey that he hasn't. And Gailey still named him as the starter. That tells me that he thinks Glenn can grow into the job and do so pretty quickly. It also tells me that he thinks Glenn is going to be the best offensive tackle on the team before the season is very old. Gailey could be wrong and Glenn could struggle the entire season. If Glenn fails to improve over the final two preseaon games, Gailey could renege on naming Glenn the starter. Chris Hairston would probably be a safer choice. Hairston isn't as athletic as Glenn though, and it would mean having to switch during the season in all likelihood. I think Gailey made the decision he did because he thinks the continuity the offensive line gains by starting Glenn out on the left side is worth the risk of some minor struggles for Cordy early on.