PDA

View Full Version : Which of these first round selections pisses you off the most?

The King
08-23-2012, 01:03 PM
During our decade of suck we've made a ton of first round mistake, whether it was reaching or drafting a luxury pick when we didnt have the luxury... Which one of these selections irks you the most?

better days
08-23-2012, 01:08 PM
During our decade of suck we've made a ton of first round mistake, whether it was reaching or drafting a luxury pick when we didnt have the luxury... Which one of these selections irks you the most?

McGoofy what a waste of a pick. Maybin was also a waste, but at least he is not a jackass like Willis.

dannyek71
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Where is the 2010 draft?

The King
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I left a few picks off the board Lynch, Spiller, Wood and Clements.

dannyek71
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
I left a few picks off the board Lynch, Spiller, Wood and Clements.

I vote 2010. This doesn't have much to do with CJ the player, but with us

A) Drafting a RB that early
B) Drafting a RB when we already had Lynch & Jackson.

In hindsight, I believe that we got much worse players. However, at the time they all seemed good on paper.

SabreEleven
08-23-2012, 01:17 PM
This like voting for President, no matter who you vote for, you are going to lose.

The King
08-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I vote 2010. This doesn't have much to do with CJ the player, but with us

A) Drafting a RB that early
B) Drafting a RB when we already had Lynch & Jackson.

In hindsight, I believe that we got much worse players. However, at the time they all seemed good on paper.

I added him just for you!

OpIv37
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
I went with Maybin because Orakpo was obviously the better choice.

Whitner is a close 2nd. If you think back to that draft, there was ONE guy (Mayock maybe?) who said the Bills would pick Whitner at that slot. No one else had him going anywhere near there. The draftniks get a lot of things wrong, but when there is that much consensus amongst competing draft prognosticators, they are rarely wrong. Plus, Whitner was an arrogant *****.

SABURZFAN
08-23-2012, 05:09 PM
ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Pink
08-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Losman set the franchise back 5 years on his own. No way anyone is a worse pick than him.

SABURZFAN
08-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Losman set the franchise back 5 years on his own. No way anyone is a worse pick than him.

you get no argument here.

YardRat
08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
2006 was just such a ****ing disaster. Whitner/Ngata aside, I remember being so stoked when the team moved back into the first, I thought 100% for sure they had Mangold targeted. I voted for McCargo for that reason.

Extremebillsfan247
08-23-2012, 05:26 PM
I went with Maybin simply because of the quality of talent the Bills passed on to get him. You could go pretty far down that list of first round selections and find better talent that I believe would still be a part of this franchise making a difference. If Gailey and Nix were running this team in '09, Maybin would not have been drafted here. I'm pretty confident of that.

Albany,n.y.
08-23-2012, 05:27 PM

That's who I voted for, for the same reason. Nothing sets a franchise back more than a 1st round QB bust. Worse, they traded away the pick that in 2005 could have been used to select Aaron Rodgers.

BLeonard
08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Maybin, and I don't even think it's close...

The guy rarely even saw the field and was cut before his rookie deal expired. At least the others on the list played, most of them were even starters at one point.

The icing on the cake was the fact that he held out of training camp, when he hadn't played a down in the NFL.

Finally, you have to be a special kind of suck to not be good enough to even dress when your team plays in your hometown.

-Bill

Scumbag College
08-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Whitner pissed me off the most because Ngata was sitting right there and was a huge need for the Bills. Maybin, Flowers, and McCargo were all "we're smarter than you" picks and were huge reaches with obviously better players at their positions still sitting there when the Bills picked. Mike Williams was just a fat tub of uselessness that should have been vetted better. Losman and McLovin were OK picks at the time that never panned out. McGahee showed he could actually play in the NFL but was more of a luxury pick for an organization that could afford to have a first round pick sit on IR for a year. Spiller is too early to be pissed about, but I think this might be a make or break year for him.

SquishDaFish
08-23-2012, 06:33 PM
That Flowers pick really IRKS the **** outta me but I voted for **** ass Maybin because of what Orakpo is now

I would of voted for Whitner because of Ngata but Im happy with where we ended up at DT

coastal
08-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Donte Whitner without a doubt.

Both lines on this team were in a shambles, but we had a handful of picks in the first few rounds...

And we picked an Ohio state midget with short arms and little hands to play safety.

Impact.

YardRat
08-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Maybin still has a chance to prove he was worth drafting. That's more than some of those other guys on the list can say.

ZAZusmc03
08-24-2012, 01:30 AM
I picked Maybin, because I think EVERYONE here knew that was a terrible pick when it happened. No one in their right mind thought that was the right choice.

BADTHINGSMAN
08-24-2012, 01:47 AM
I went with Maybin because Orakpo was obviously the better choice.

Whitner is a close 2nd. If you think back to that draft, there was ONE guy (Mayock maybe?) who said the Bills would pick Whitner at that slot. No one else had him going anywhere near there. The draftniks get a lot of things wrong, but when there is that much consensus amongst competing draft prognosticators, they are rarely wrong. Plus, Whitner was an arrogant *****.

Was so pissed when they called Maybin's name. I 100% sure it was going to be Orakpo.

kishoph
08-24-2012, 04:52 AM
I chose someone else at first, but after a little thought, I'd have to say Mike Williams. I think Williams came to the Bills with the highest expectations and turned out to be the biggest bust. I can't understand choosing Spiller, I believe that he's a quality back that would be capable of starting anywhere in the league, who also has big play potential. Spiller may not have developed as fast as some would like, but his touches have been limited playing behind Freddie Jackson. The things that he struggled in at first (blocking, showing patience running), he has improved in greatly. Also there's no argument that Spiller was the BPA when he was selected. Spiller will have success as the team's #1 RB when Freddie is done, which could be as soon as next season.

The Jokeman
08-24-2012, 11:11 AM
JP because he cost us a 1st, 2nd and a 1st with everything considered but in reviewing our draft track record maybe it cost us nothing.

The King
08-24-2012, 11:14 AM
a lot of diversity here.

The King
08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Look at the Ravens picks during this time.

2000 - Jamaal Lewis (5)
2000 - Travis Taylor (10)
2001 - Todd Heap (31)
2002 - Ed Reed (24)
2003 - Terrell Suggs (10)
2005 - Mark Clayton (22)
2006 - Haloti Ngata (12)
2007 - Ben Grubbs (29)
2008 - Joe Flacco (18)
2009 - Michael Oher (23)

20 Pro Bowls between those guys... compared to the Bills who have 2, Lynch and Clements. McGahee has two Pro Bowls too, but as a Raven and a Bronco.

Bellowing4DaBills
08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Cost + Years of Investment less Output = ulta net negative JP Losman

I blame the franchise more than JP though. Our brain trust settled on the price to get him and hung with him far longer than the smart money should.

DraftBoy
08-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Flowers.

DraftBoy
08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Was so pissed when they called Maybin's name. I 100% sure it was going to be Orakpo.

I don't get this, they showed Maybin on the phone as they went to commercial before our pick. You still thought it was Orakpo?

By the time the pick was announced I was down a lamp, an old phone that I kept as backup and had three empty beer bottles to clean up that I had flung around the room.

Raptor
08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Tie for me

Erik Flowers because he had no business being selected in the first, we needed a LB also, K.Bulluck from Syracuse would have been perfect and fell right in our lap and we passed

JP Losman because we traded up for him and you would have to have been blind to not see that he was going to be a bust

bleve
08-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Wow. What crap-fest of 1st round selections. I mean, everyone misses on a first-rounder every now and then, but when you have an accumulation of 10 years of first round busts, it's no wonder you suck.

Drafting Donte with the first, then trading up to get McCargo was the worst 1-2 punch for me.

Single first round irk, so many to choose from, I voted Maybin.

DrGraves
08-24-2012, 01:49 PM
easy... it was when we took ****ing aaron maybin over brian orakpo

feldspar
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't think there is any question that the first-round selection that should piss everyone off the most is Aaron Maybin. This less-than one-year-wonder one-trick pony made absolutely ZERO sense even at the time he was picked. You had Brian Orakpo just sitting there waiting to be picked by the Bills...any idiot would know to pick him; I know, because I picked him. Could not BELIEVE that pick. This idiot would have picked Haloti Ngata instead of Whitner, too. Tons of idiots could have picked better than the Bills in the first round, quite a bit.

You can say Mike Williams with hindsight, but that's BS. At the time, he was a good pick...by that I mean that he was projected to go about where we picked him. He was a monumental bust, but the logic was there.

We had other reaches based on need in some cases.

A couple weren't exactly bad players for the Bills.

We took a chance on a QB, which kinda confounds me that would piss people off, since you hear it all the time that the Bills need a QB and certain fans continue to constantly cry every draft the Bills don't pick one in the first round. That obviously didn't work out, but they did try. It's a lesson to not get stuck on a position when you pick, ESPECIALLY if it's the most important position on the team...QB.

Spiller is a good player, and he will get better. Dare I say that he has the potential to be great? The guy will contribute the team in very positive ways at least. The thing here is that we had Lynch and Freddie at the time, so the pick was a little confusing at the time. Perhaps they felt Lynch was trouble waiting to happen? The thing here is that people should not be pissed about acquiring a good player. You could say we could have had Jason Pierre-Paul or someone, but hindsight is 20/20.

You could say that we got J.P. Losman instead of Aaron Rodgers if you really wanted to. The Bills traded their 2005 1st round draft pick to Dallas to get him, along with their 2nd rounder that year...so Losman cost us a second-rounder AND a first, who could have been Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers was drafted AFTER the Bills would have picked in the 2005 draft. You could project this scenario if you are a masochist like me, anyway.

Loved the Dareus pick last year...to me, that was a no-brainer.

justasportsfan
08-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Maybin. At least everyone else on that list contributed more than him.

Raptor
08-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Lets also not forget that JP Losman also cost us the option/ability to draft A.Rodgers

Having a first round bust at QB is one of the worst things that can happen to a franchise. It sets you back so far

jimmifli
08-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Donte Whitner without a doubt.

Both lines on this team were in a shambles, but we had a handful of picks in the first few rounds...

And we picked an Ohio state midget with short arms and little hands to play safety.

Impact.
It was the wrong position.
It was the wrong type of player.
It created impossible expectations.

Twitner was setup to fail in a way that he wouldn't have been in he was drafted in the 20s. The reason it was the worst pick is because it showed how hopeless the management was.

djjimkelly
08-24-2012, 07:05 PM
2006 was just such a ****ing disaster. Whitner/Ngata aside, I remember being so stoked when the team moved back into the first, I thought 100% for sure they had Mangold targeted. I voted for McCargo for that reason.

i was gonna pick maybin but changed my mind when i thought of this. we sent multiple picks away to get mccargo just foolish

The Jokeman
08-24-2012, 07:37 PM
I think everyone and their brother was hoping for Orakpo when we took Maybin So in the initial drafting of the player this was probably the pick that got me angriest but as eluded in retrospect the pick of Losman stings most.

coastal
08-25-2012, 08:50 AM
It was the wrong position.
It was the wrong type of player.
It created impossible expectations.

Twitner was setup to fail in a way that he wouldn't have been in he was drafted in the 20s. The reason it was the worst pick is because it showed how hopeless the management was.that draft... Whitner, McCargo, Ashton Youboty, Ko Simpson.. Our first four picks. That ended their three year rebuild project before it even began.

Only Kyle Williams (5 card stud) kept the draft from being worst in history of the Bills.

Just think... It could have been something more like...

Haloti Ngata
Trade back up... Nick Mangold
Trade back up... Andrew Whitworth

With a Kyle Williams chaser.

jimmifli
08-25-2012, 10:31 AM
That ended their three year rebuild project before it even began.

It was worse than that. It would have ended a good administration's rebuilding plan before it began. But it also pointed out how inept they were. So fans were stuck waiting for them to get bounced, before a real front office could be hired. It meant hope was on hold. Again.

k-oneputt
08-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Where's that guy that said the front office knew more then the fans ?