PDA

View Full Version : Bills trade for Tarvaris Jackson

GingerP
08-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I guess both Young and Thigpen are gone.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055085/article/tarvaris-jackson-to-be-traded-to-buffalo-bills?module=HP11_headline_stack

No word on Compensation yet.

IAG
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Good fit with Chan.

Raptor
08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Thank God! I no longer have to watch the complete and utter incompetence of V.Young and T.Thigpen

Cut there asses now

ServoBillieves
08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Awesome.

GingerP
08-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Would have to think his contract will be altered. He has a $4M salary this year and is a free agent in 2013. He reportedly was willing to talk about the contract as part of a trade. I wonder if they extend him multiple years as primary backup.

kingJofNYC
08-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Thank God! I no longer have to watch the complete and utter incompetence of V.Young and T.Thigpen

Cut there asses now
Wait until you see the incompetence of Tjack.

Skooby
08-26-2012, 05:04 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055085/article/tarvaris-jackson-to-be-traded-to-buffalo-bills?module=HP11_headline_stack

We have a back-up, I repeat we have a back-up.

stuckincincy
08-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Would have to think his contract will be altered. He has a $4M salary this year and is a free agent in 2013. He reportedly was willing to talk about the contract as part of a trade. I wonder if they extend him multiple years as primary backup.

Heh - what are we paying Fitz? Wouldn't that rock the house if Jackson beats him out at some point?

GingerP
08-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Florio is reporting it isn't done yet, as they are talking about the contract. It sounds like it will get done soon, once a new contract is worked out.

GingerP
08-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Heh - what are we paying Fitz? Wouldn't that rock the house if Jackson beats him out at some point?

Jackson isn't a guy who is a starter for anyone at this point. He is 29 years old and has enough experience that it is pretty clear what he is. If he starts, it will be because he is holding the fort when Fitzpatrick got hurt or flopped. He isn't a solution, he is a backup.

Raptor
08-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Wait until you see the incompetence of Tjack.

Still better than Young and Thigpen

Slim
08-26-2012, 05:15 PM
DB is gonna be so happy when he sees this.

stuckincincy
08-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Jackson isn't a guy who is a starter for anyone at this point. He is 29 years old and has enough experience that it is pretty clear what he is. If he starts, it will be because he is holding the fort when Fitzpatrick got hurt or flopped. He isn't a solution, he is a backup.

Well - it's not out of the realm of thought that other clubs might feel the same about Fitz.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-26-2012, 05:21 PM
It means that Thigpen is gone, and probably young too: Fitz, Jackson, and Smith, not a bad rotation at qb.

Jaybird
08-26-2012, 05:22 PM
He's a good backup.. but we already have one of those in Fitz

Generalissimus Gibby
08-26-2012, 05:25 PM
He's a good backup.. but we already have one of those in Fitz

could be a sign that they are just not confident with Fitzy's play and Chan is putting him on notice in hopes that it will motivate him to step up his game.

JoeMama
08-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Eh, this feels like a lateral move rather than an upward move.

Jackson has been a career-long disappointment.

If the goal is to supplant Young/Thigpen, what has Jackson done to really set himself apart?

They're all underachievers. Except we have to give something up to acquire Jackson.

And it damn well better be nickels and dimes.

Meathead
08-26-2012, 05:37 PM
they must really have completely lost all confidence in thigpen. thigpen has looked brutal in the practice games but as a starter jackson is only slightly superior stat wise to thigpen. i wonder what they see in jackson that made them spend a draft pick over just keeping thigpen or young and rolling the dice on getting jackson (or somebody else) free in later cuts. yeah getting a qb another week in practice reps has value, but alone not enough to send a pick, so it had to be something pretty bad

SeatownBillsFan21
08-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Haha I was just tell my coworker how we need to trade for him as our starter not 10 minutes later I get the alert. I know what Jackson is but it's better than VY IMO so I'm sure I'll hear it from Seahawks nation in the days to come. At least they know the QB position is broken.

Scumbag College
08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Maybe the seahags want one of the Bills backup Dlinemen in the deal. Or Terrance McGee. Or Johnny White.

kingJofNYC
08-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Still better than Young and Thigpen
No he's not, stop deluding yourself. Jackson is equal or worse, not better.

They're all equally bad, lateral move if you ask me.

Michael82
08-26-2012, 05:56 PM

Cut there asses now

Exactly! He can't be any worse than those two! Cut them both!

Meathead
08-26-2012, 05:59 PM
i wonder if its possible they cut brad smith and keep one of young/thigpen?

that would give them a comparable wc qb to smith but actually able to start a game at qb. that would give them a little more insurance should young or thigpen stay and continue to stink it up

YardRat
08-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Maybe the seahags want one of the Bills backup Dlinemen in the deal. Or Terrance McGee. Or Johnny White.

Or a WR...they released Owens today.

stuckincincy
08-26-2012, 06:03 PM
No he's not, stop deluding yourself. Jackson is equal or worse, not better.

They're all equally bad, lateral move if you ask me.

Perhaps. There are always journeyman qbs who help out...AJ Feely, Steve Beuerlein, Anthony Wright, Gus Ferrotte, many others. Varying degrees of success, for sure. But a peripatetic qb with several years of steady NFL qb employment isn't a bad thing.

Night Train
08-26-2012, 06:06 PM
He threw for over 3000 yards and went 7-7 as a starter last year. How is this bad ?

Meathead
08-26-2012, 06:07 PM
But a peripatetic qb with several years of steady NFL qb employment isn't a bad thing.

i had no idea he lost the use of his legs

kingJofNYC
08-26-2012, 06:10 PM
One good really thing about this is that front office realizes they have nothing at QB, Fitz being the exception. Needs to be addressed in the draft, early in the draft. Not some 7th round camp fodder.

stuckincincy
08-26-2012, 06:16 PM
One good really thing about this is that front office realizes they have nothing at QB, Fitz being the exception. Needs to be addressed in the draft, early in the draft. Not some 7th round camp fodder.

Yes - you make a good point.

Skooby
08-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Contract is a sticky point, so the thread title is inaccurate.

madness
08-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Goodbye Thigpen AND B. Smith? Can we afford to cut Smith dollar wise? It seems he had yet to show anything, especially at QB.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Why?! Why, at this point in the preseason less than two weeks before the start of the regular season does this team sign yet another washed up, mediocre journeyman quarterback who, on top of all that, doesn't know the system? Do they expect him to learn it in two weeks?

This move is ridiculously stupid. Jackson is no franchise quarterback.

Mr. Miyagi
08-26-2012, 06:41 PM
I don't understand why we continue to keep Brad Smith. Maybe we can trade him off to somebody else. He's not a good QB, sucks as a returner, below average WR, and if we have TJax or Young, we don't need Smith to run the wildcat. So what are we keeping him for?

Skooby
08-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Why?! Why, at this point in the preseason less than two weeks before the start of the regular season does this team sign yet another washed up, mediocre journeyman quarterback who, on top of all that, doesn't know the system? Do they expect him to learn it in two weeks?

Fitz goes down & this season is over, all 3 of our back-up QB's should be cut with VY given the benefit of the doubt.

YardRat
08-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Still rather have a young guy with decent skills and a brain to groom for a season or two while we wait for a QB to become available.

stuckincincy
08-26-2012, 06:46 PM

So - where do the Bills get that franchise QB? Who is handing them out, offering them up for trade? Tell us.

Albany,n.y.
08-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I don't understand why we continue to keep Brad Smith. Maybe we can trade him off to somebody else. He's not a good QB, sucks as a returner, below average WR, and if we have TJax or Young, we don't need Smith to run the wildcat. So what are we keeping him for?

Because he might be our #2 receiver by mid-season. With the exception of Stevie, ALL the Bills receivers are below average.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-26-2012, 07:03 PM
So - where do the Bills get that franchise QB? Who is handing them out, offering them up for trade? Tell us. You either build them like New England built Brady, or you purposely tank to get them when they come up in the draft, like Indianapolis did for Luck. You don't pick them up from other teams-- they dump them for a reason.

Philagape
08-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Jackson is no franchise quarterback.

He's the new backup, Johnny. Backup.

gebobs
08-26-2012, 07:09 PM
It means that Thigpen is gone, and probably young too: Fitz, Jackson, and Smith, not a bad rotation at qb.
Good rotation? Surely, you jest. We have two backups and a ****up.

gebobs
08-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Because he might be our #2 receiver by mid-season. With the exception of Stevie, ALL the Bills receivers are below average.
LOL...they could pick up any number of free agents that would be better than Smith.

YardRat
08-26-2012, 07:15 PM

Would you prefer to cut both Thigpen and Smith and go with a rotation of Fitz/Jackson/Young? Just asking...

DraftBoy
08-26-2012, 07:16 PM
You're getting a QB coming off his best year yet, who is a close to perfect fit for our system. He's also tough as nails and a great leader/locker room guy. Ideal spot starter who MAYBE develops some. He's always had off the charts physical ability, just never had it mentally. I was a huge fan of his coming out of school, and Minny screwed the pooch by putting him out there his rookie year. Showed some solid signs of life last year in Seattle.

Skooby
08-26-2012, 07:20 PM
You're getting a QB coming off his best year yet, who is a close to perfect fit for our system. He's also tough as nails and a great leader/locker room guy. Ideal spot starter who MAYBE develops some. He's always had off the charts physical ability, just never had it mentally. I was a huge fan of his coming out of school, and Minny screwed the pooch by putting him out there his rookie year. Showed some solid signs of life last year in Seattle.

I smell a new-jersey purchase.

DraftBoy
08-26-2012, 07:21 PM
I smell a new-jersey purchase.

I dont buy jerseys, waste of money imo.

CoolBreeze
08-26-2012, 07:28 PM
I believe the love fest for Jackson started 2 years ago. The game when Moats knocked out Favre. Remember who came in and lit the place up? Travaris Jackson....
I'm sure Chan hasn't forgot that.

stuckincincy
08-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Saw him last season, playing CIN when that club was riding the crest of their wave. He only hit 50% or so, and was a bit hobbled - couldn't run down field.

My impression - he played a decent, starting qb job. He's a "gamer."

Skooby
08-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I dont buy jerseys, waste of money imo.

Either way, you're a fan.

DraftBoy
08-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Saw him last season, playing CIN when that club was riding the crest of their wave. He only hit 50% or so, and was a bit hobbled - couldn't run down field.

My impression - he played a decent, starting qb job. He's a "gamer."

Per the scouting report I posted in another thread, he was injured almost all of last season but played through it. The Seahawks guy who wrote the report for BBD said he's tough as nails and refuses to quit. Teammates love him.

- - - Updated - - -

Either way, you're a fan.

That I am.

THRILLHO
08-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Good fit with Chan.

Same thing we said about Thigpen. Same thing we said about Vince Young.

I'm not saying its a bad move, if he can make this team better then lets do it.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-26-2012, 07:54 PM
He's the new backup, Johnny. Backup. And an unnecessary one at this stage of the game. Too good for third string, and no better than Young in the battle for second. It'd be one thing if they stumbled upon a major prospect with long-term starter potential, but that hasn't happened here since Brian Brohm. The last quarterback to have begun his career here was Levi Brown a couple years ago, and they kicked him to the curb. Just like they did with Corp and Tanney this offseason. This team has too little patience when it comes to raw quarterback talent, and too much of a googly eye for washed-up journeymen. So sure, if they want the next Doug Flutie who'll show up for a couple years and then disappear, fine. But they already have that guy in Vince Young. Jackson adds nothing to this roster that they don't already have.

EDS
08-26-2012, 08:29 PM

You could use those exact words to describe Fitzpatrick.

coastal
08-26-2012, 08:37 PM
8-8 is becoming a pipe dream.

BertSquirtgum
08-26-2012, 08:51 PM
i wonder if its possible they cut brad smith and keep one of young/thigpen?

that would give them a comparable wc qb to smith but actually able to start a game at qb. that would give them a little more insurance should young or thigpen stay and continue to stink it up

I hope so, Brad Smith is a waste.

BertSquirtgum
08-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Chan must have finally realized he ****ed himself in the ass by placing his faith on a bum like Fitzpatrick.

Skooby
08-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Chan must have finally realized he ****ed himself in the ass by placing his faith on a bum like Fitzpatrick.

You really think that T-Jax is being brought in now to replace Fitz or his back-ups? I just want to be clear so your opinion can be on record right now one way or the other.

You might also bring up something I haven't fully thought of yet about this, so I'm intrigued to see how you support the point. I have a feeling it'll be a simple sentence with a swear word or two & a blunt stance.

BertSquirtgum
08-26-2012, 09:51 PM
No, but when Fitz blows for the first five weeks, I don't think they're comfortable putting Vince in so they traded for someone who is better than Fitzputrid.

Skooby
08-26-2012, 10:02 PM
No, but when Fitz blows for the first five weeks, I don't think they're comfortable putting Vince in so they traded for someone who is better than Fitzputrid.

So how did you draw the conclusion that Chan self-sodomized by keeping Fitz & improving the QB back-ups ?

Fitz + a better backup - 1 or 2 previous bad backups = Chad's self-sodimization ? Is that the logical formulation you've arrived at to present to the group ?

Meathead
08-26-2012, 10:03 PM
lets get it out of the way right now

fitzlickers vs jacklovers

Bill Cody
08-26-2012, 10:08 PM
No truth VY and TJ will play a game of "scrabble" to decide who stays

Skooby
08-26-2012, 10:19 PM
No truth VY and TJ will play a game of "scrabble" to decide who stays

It was on the table but it was determined that the game would end up in a incomplete tie.

BertSquirtgum
08-26-2012, 10:25 PM
So how did you draw the conclusion that Chan self-sodomized by keeping Fitz & improving the QB back-ups ?

Fitz + a better backup - 1 or 2 previous bad backups = Chad's self-sodimization ? Is that the logical formulation you've arrived at to present to the group ?

Because he knows he is going to have to replace Stinkspatrick so he traded for somebody who will win games for him. Don't forget to wear your helmet tomorrow.

Skooby
08-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Because he knows he is going to have to replace Stinkspatrick so he traded for somebody who will win games for him. Don't forget to wear your helmet tomorrow.

So T-Jax is replacing Fitz then right?? It that what you're saying? It's not clear & you just told me that T-Jax is not replacing Fitz.

BTW- Thanks for the helmet warning, I always forget it.

BertSquirtgum
08-26-2012, 10:52 PM
He will be getting replaced by week 5, if not sooner. You think this guy is going to walk on the team and magically know the offense? Come on man.

SquishDaFish
08-27-2012, 05:18 AM
Man i cant wait for reg season. im tired of seeing people ***** and cry about preseason results and stuff they know nothing about

TacklingDummy
08-27-2012, 05:20 AM

One teams garbage is another teams treasure.

Doesn't solve the fact that our starting QB blows.

jamze132
08-27-2012, 07:46 AM
One teams garbage is another teams treasure.

Doesn't solve the fact that our starting QB blows.

Doesn't solve the fact that our back up QBs blow either. lol

GingerP
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Just reported as a done deal by Albert Breer. Says contract re-done and Jackson can make "up to $3M this year". Probably needs to hit some incentives to earn that.

No word yet on the compensation to Seattle.

PTI
08-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Think I have said many times out here Jackson is better than Fitz and the Bills should trade for him. Finally they listened. At least for this year, he will be playing later at some point when Fitz sucks it up again. No long term answer, but better than Fitz, it is obvious.

Luisito23
08-27-2012, 04:00 PM
We have a back-up, I repeat we have a back-up.

Yes, and his name is Ryan Fitzpatrick.
All we did was just trade for another backup with a different name.