PDA

View Full Version : Wait ONE MINUTE???

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Let me get this straight we have already gone from ultra excited for this season and talking to playoffs to....
-Will Gailey Last the season?
-7-9 is POSSIBLY attainable
-If we completely implode and are 3-13

Are you guys ****ing kidding me???

The team was well on its way last season to a winning record before it was decimated by injury.

We added top level talent in our positions of HUGE need, (Left tackle, Cornerback, Defensive end x2)

Like I have said the years of this type of defeatist attitude has pushed me away from this place and let me tell you most of the other boards aren't writing off the season.

I easily see the playoffs as a possibility. I am not guaranteeing anything as I can never fully trust the Bills until they prove me wrong but I certainly aren't talking 6-10 because we havent won in preseason. Especially after they held their own with Pittsburgh in the first half Saturday.

ryven
08-27-2012, 08:43 AM
I completely agree with you. I know thing may not look good as of now but can we please give them a few regular seaon games before we start on them.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 08:45 AM
It is par for the course for these guys though.

I wouldnt expect anything less. A group of the most insufferable pessimist in the world.

ryven
08-27-2012, 08:48 AM
I just kind of miss the old days around here when things where a little bit more supportive of the bills after all we are there fans. I by no means am a homer. I will call the team out when the time comes but not until then.

SabreEleven
08-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Maybe over 10 years of sucking will install that pessimists. We've been excited in the preseason for plenty of seasons only to get kicked in the nuts. You can only get kicked in the nuts so often before you get gun shy.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-27-2012, 08:50 AM
The fact that they had to trade for Tarvaris Jackson-- a quarterback no better than the ones we have on the team now except Thigpen-- is a glaring sign that something is rotten in Orchard Park.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 08:53 AM
I just kind of miss the old days around here when things where a little bit more supportive of the bills after all we are there fans. I by no means am a homer. I will call the team out when the time comes but not until then.

No way people here never supported the Bills. They always have been telling me how bad they are or would be.

Now they have been right for 10 years but that doesn't mean I want to give up on the season because of a preseason win loss record.

Then there are just insanely stupid comments about the Jackson trade.... "We needed to upgrade at Fitz not backup....." Well listen dummies no team is offering a franchise QB right now. Does that mean the Bills shouldn't upgrade at backup in the meantime? Young and Thigpen have clearly shown they suck.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that they had to trade for Tarvaris Jackson-- a quarterback no better than the ones we have on the team now except Thigpen-- is a glaring sign that something is rotten in Orchard Park.

HAAAAAA before I even got out my last post.... RIGHT ON QUE!!!!

Joe Fo Sho
08-27-2012, 08:54 AM

No, it's not.

Trying to improve our backup QB position doesn't mean we're screwed. That's just ridiculous.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Maybe over 10 years of sucking will install that pessimists. We've been excited in the preseason for plenty of seasons only to get kicked in the nuts. You can only get kicked in the nuts so often before you get gun shy.

I don't know I am not a pessimist so I don't know loser mentality. Tell me how it works.

Trust me if they suck I will be very disappointed.

justasportsfan
08-27-2012, 08:57 AM
bills will make playoffs :bravo:

TacklingDummy
08-27-2012, 09:00 AM
2000: 8-8
2001: 3-13
2002: 8-8
2003: 6-10
2004: 9-7
2005: 5-11
2006: 7-9
2007: 7-9
2008: 7-9
2009: 6-10
2010: 4-12
2011: 6-10

The last 12 years of our lives.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 09:04 AM

Oh got you. But no real thought about player personal or schedule.

mjt328
08-27-2012, 09:10 AM
I think a lot of the optimism in the offseason has been grounded, because of the following observations:

1. When the news was released about Fitz hurting his ribs during the Washington game last year, a lot of people had hope that his late-season collapse was injury related. And then came the word that he was focusing on his mechanics in the off-season.
However, during this preseason - none of the above looks to be true. Fitz looks just as inconsistent, inaccurate and indecisive as ever.

2. The improved pass rush was SUPPOSED to fix all of our other issues on defense. The cornerbacks would be fine in coverage, as long as the quarterback didn't have a long time to throw. Our linebackers would be free to make plays, because of all the blockers dedicated to stopping our front four.
Unfortunately, in the preseason, teams have been attacking us with the running game and quick passes. Our linebackers and secondary have not been up the task. We have had a stellar pass rush, but we are still letting up big plays and long drives.

OpIv37
08-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Let me get this straight we have already gone from ultra excited for this season and talking to playoffs to....

The team was well on its way last season to a winning record before it was decimated by injury.

We added top level talent in our positions of HUGE need, (Left tackle, Cornerback, Defensive end x2)

Like I have said the years of this type of defeatist attitude has pushed me away from this place and let me tell you most of the other boards aren't writing off the season.

I easily see the playoffs as a possibility. I am not guaranteeing anything as I can never fully trust the Bills until they prove me wrong but I certainly aren't talking 6-10 because we havent won in preseason. Especially after they held their own with Pittsburgh in the first half Saturday.

Defeatist attitude? It's reality. Have you even watched this team the past 10 or 12 years? No one was *****ing just to *****. They were *****ing because the team really was that bad.

Everyone was excited BEFORE seeing the team play. After seeing the team play, it's a different story. Go ahead and say "it's only preseason," because people use that excuse every year too.

Reality is what it is.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 09:15 AM
I think a lot of the optimism in the offseason has been grounded, because of the following observations:

1. When the news was released about Fitz hurting his ribs during the Washington game last year, a lot of people had hope that his late-season collapse was injury related. And then came the word that he was focusing on his mechanics in the off-season.
However, during this preseason - none of the above looks to be true. Fitz looks just as inconsistent, inaccurate and indecisive as ever.

2. The improved pass rush was SUPPOSED to fix all of our other issues on defense. The cornerbacks would be fine in coverage, as long as the quarterback didn't have a long time to throw. Our linebackers would be free to make plays, because of all the blockers dedicated to stopping our front four.
Unfortunately, in the preseason, teams have been attacking us with the running game and quick passes. Our linebackers and secondary have not been up the task. We have had a stellar pass rush, but we are still letting up big plays and long drives.
HOW CAN YOU GAUGE THIS IN LESS THAN 4 QUARTERS OF ACTUAL PLAY???

I can tell you this. I GUARANTEE they will be running the hell out of the ball this season. I feel like they are masking this fact and focusing on their shotgun spread.

The Pass rush WILL improve the rest of the D. The corners are very young so there will be a curve but that is to be expected. Good news is they are ultra talented.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Defeatist attitude? It's reality. Have you even watched this team the past 10 or 12 years? No one was *****ing just to *****. They were *****ing because the team really was that bad.

Everyone was excited BEFORE seeing the team play. After seeing the team play, it's a different story. Go ahead and say "it's only preseason," because people use that excuse every year too.

Reality is what it is.

Yep same old boring song and dance...... Sorry Op giving me another "reality check". :puke:

Can we at least wait until the regular season before I get my next "dose"? That is all I ask......

OpIv37
08-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Yep same old boring song and dance...... Sorry Op giving me another "reality check". :puke:

Can we at least wait until the regular season before I get my next "dose"? That is all I ask......

No. You can't. This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Everyone uses the "wait til the regular season starts" line to avoid reality as long as possible. It happens every year.

And yeah, it is the same old boring song and dance... not this message board, but the TEAM. You're shooting the messenger. Don't be upset with the posters here. Be upset with the team for putting **** on the field yet again.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 09:23 AM
No. You can't. This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Everyone uses the "wait til the regular season starts" line to avoid reality as long as possible. It happens every year.

And yeah, it is the same old boring song and dance... not this message board, but the TEAM. You're shooting the messenger. Don't be upset with the posters here. Be upset with the team for putting **** on the field yet again.
Op I asked nicely. I personally don't want another "dose" until the regular season. It is what I personally want. You can't tell me any different.

I don't want another "dose" of reality until the regular season.(I said it again) You are like one of those Fake doctors pot heads go to and get prescriptions for weed. I am set right now Doc!!!

OpIv37
08-27-2012, 09:25 AM
So, you're saying you intentionally want to avoid reality? Why? I'll never understand that mentality.

I don't like the reality, but there's no sense in avoiding it when you know you're going to have to confront it sooner or later anyway.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 09:27 AM
So, you're saying you intentionally want to avoid reality? Why? I'll never understand that mentality.

I don't like the reality, but there's no sense in avoiding it when you know you're going to have to confront it sooner or later anyway.

You just can't physically do it can you? Weird to see someone who just can't help themselves.

Trust me I live in reality. All day every day in my life. I don't need "doses" of it in my fun free time activities. (Football, Friends, Fun, etc)

madness
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM
The reality is that people can't fathom how much little weight preseason actually carries into the regular season.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 09:46 AM
The reality is that people can't fathom how much little weight preseason actually carries into the regular season.

UH OH!!! This one is an emergency. OP you better really up your "dose" with this one!!!! CLEAR!!!!!!

OpIv37
08-27-2012, 09:49 AM

People say that EVERY year. Yet, EVERY year the team struggles in the regular season, largely with the same things they struggled with in the regular season.

News flash: Fitz's accuracy won't get any better once the regular season starts. Our WR's behind Stevie won't get better once the regular season starts. Our LB's won't suddenly become fast and decisive because the regular season starts. I could keep going but you get the point.

People who say things like this are just trying to keep their heads buried in the sand as long as possible.

justasportsfan
08-27-2012, 09:51 AM
why wait for tomorrow what you can do today! Hit the "panic" button Thurm. JU keng do wet.

OpIv37
08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
You just can't physically do it can you? Weird to see someone who just can't help themselves.

Trust me I live in reality. All day every day in my life. I don't need "doses" of it in my fun free time activities. (Football, Friends, Fun, etc)

Here's the problem: just because you choose football as one of your "fun free time activities" doesn't guarantee that it will always be fun, entertaining or positive. We all want our leisure time activities to be good, but the reality is that sometimes they're not. People like you try to force them to be good anyway. That doesn't change the reality. It is what it is- just deal with it.

Joe Fo Sho
08-27-2012, 09:54 AM
I still think we're going to win the Superbowl.

DMBcrew36
08-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Who was ultra-excited, talking playoffs? LOL

I feel the same way about this team as I have all along -- they're a .500 club.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Here's the problem: just because you choose football as one of your "fun free time activities" doesn't guarantee that it will always be fun, entertaining or positive. We all want our leisure time activities to be good, but the reality is that sometimes they're not. People like you try to force them to be good anyway. That doesn't change the reality. It is what it is- just deal with it.

Its not a problem in my life at all. It doesn't affect anything.

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 10:10 AM

I feel the same way about this team as I have all along -- they're a .500 club.

Why are you LOLing?

Hmmmmm who? Most people I have talked. The overwhelming Majority of people. Trust me I am not talking about here but real people in the real world.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2012, 10:34 AM
I've said 7-9 since the draft.

This team is limited by a bum QB and a college spread offense HC who doesn't believe in running the football.

Static
08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
I always tell my self preseason doesn't matter, that things will turn around once the games are for real......

one of these years i will be right :sad:

justasportsfan
08-27-2012, 10:43 AM
I've said 7-9 since the draft.

This team is limited by a bum QB and a college spread offense HC who doesn't believe in running the football.

actually Chan does. When he was the OC of the fins they were they were the team that ran the most at one point and ended up ranked 8th in run attempts at the end of the regular season.

As the Pitts OC in 97 they ranked 1 in attempts.

I think the the reason why he hasn't run much as the bills HC is because we've had a terrible D that we had to play coming from behind a lot.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
actually Chan does. When he was the OC of the fins they ranked 8th in run attempts.
As the PItts OC in 97 they ranked 1 in attempts.

I think the the reason why he hasn't run much as the bills HC is because we've had a terrible D that we had to play coming from behind a lot.

You know there's a bunch of examples where your second paragraph around here is simply untrue. The Giants game is a main example of it.

Putting the ball in Fitz's hands is the main reason we lost that game in a situation where it was unnecessary to do so.

BertSquirtgum
08-27-2012, 10:52 AM

The other two I frequent don't believe there will be a winning season with the Stink behind center.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
No, it's not.

Trying to improve our backup QB position doesn't mean we're screwed. That's just ridiculous.
What does Tarvaris Jackson bring to this team, other than a complete lack of knowledge of the Bills system, that the existing roster doesn't?

THATHURMANATOR
08-27-2012, 11:06 AM
You guys just plain stink.

I am OUT!!!!

See you later on in the season maybe.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2012, 11:09 AM

I am OUT!!!!

Hopefully you can come back and rub all of our awesome victories in all of our "pessimistic" faces.

Lata Corey!

BertSquirtgum
08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm taking my toys and going home. Weak.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-27-2012, 11:16 AM

I feel the same way about this team as I have all along -- they're a .500 club. It's called desperation. The lease is up this year and the Bills are demanding yet another $200M of hard-earned money from the taxpayers. They have not made the playoffs since a year or so after the last deal was signed. The Bills fans should be ticked off-- they were ripped off. They were jipped. The Bills have laid a big fat egg. And now this team wants to come back to us for more? More of what-- this losing crap?

Many of us had hoped that our $125M investment into that stadium would FINALLY pay off this year after 11 years of seeing Brady and Company dominate the division year in and year out. What's worse is that there is a huge contingent that is willing to throw even more money at the problem under this delusion that as a fan, that's what you're supposed to do as if this crap is better than nothing at all. Simply put, they have not earned their money and if the status quo continues Mark Poloncarz should say "kiss my shiny metal @$$." Of course, Poloncarz never did meet a tax dollar he didn't like to spend.

Bill Cody
08-27-2012, 11:21 AM
We've moved closer to being good. I think we'll be more fun to watch. We're short on depth, we need a couple LB's and most importantly we now have 2 very good backups for QB but no real starter. Still looking forward to the season.

justasportsfan
08-27-2012, 11:28 AM
You know there's a bunch of examples where your second paragraph around here is simply untrue. The Giants game is a main example of it.

Putting the ball in Fitz's hands is the main reason we lost that game in a situation where it was unnecessary to do so. bills were trailing giants in 3rd qtr. Pass att - 30 (4 of those att made in final run) rush att -20. Up until the bills fell behind rush and pass was balanced.

Pass ATT Rush ATT
25 36 KC
46 22 Raiders come from behind
40 16 Pats come from behind
34 20 Cincy (only game where he didn't run much)
27 32 Philly
30 20 giants
27 30 washington
31 20 jets - bills behind all the way
31 14 cowboys - bills behind all the way
39 12 fins - bills behind all the way.

I didn't count Fitz's runs.
As you can see when the bills are ahead or game is close it's either we're running more or balanced. Add that to Chans past as OC where his team is top 10 in rush attempts, Chan is WILLING to run the ball.

I didn't bother with the rest of the season because Freddie was already on IR. Chan caters his offense based on his pesonnel.

madness
08-27-2012, 11:30 AM
People say that EVERY year. Yet, EVERY year the team struggles in the regular season, largely with the same things they struggled with in the regular season.

News flash: Fitz's accuracy won't get any better once the regular season starts. Our WR's behind Stevie won't get better once the regular season starts. Our LB's won't suddenly become fast and decisive because the regular season starts. I could keep going but you get the point.

People who say things like this are just trying to keep their heads buried in the sand as long as possible.

Some of the greatest coaches of all time had poor results in preseason. Even in the glory years the Bills never put up a winning record in preseason.

You have a red square and a red circle and you are calling them the same just because they just so happen to be red. Once the Bills showed they have improved they aren't magically going to be dominant in preseason.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-27-2012, 11:31 AM

I am OUT!!!!

Good riddance, and don't come back you delusional... better stop there.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-27-2012, 11:34 AM

welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of Bills fannery. There are at least 5 groups of people on this board, much like there were on the range:

1. The Homer-erotics: Bills go 16-0 and win the superbowl, they say see we knew it all along, Bills are the best team eva. Bills go 0-16, they find the best things the team has done and say they just got hosed by the refs and the other teams cheated in all 16 games because nothing could beat my beloved Bills through normal means without cheating

2. The Realists: If the Bills win, good but they got some things to work on, but they should keep up what they did to get that victory. Bills lose, well damn that's a *****, but not the end of the world, they did some good out there but they need to correct a, b, and c

3. the Manic Depressives: Bills won: ****ing A man yeah, we are number one and superbowl bound. Bills lost: fire the coach, cut the players, kill ralph and burn the ****ing stadium down game over man game over

4. The Doomsdayers: These people love the Bills, they really really really do, but they are the people you see talking to a shrink to get pills and not at parties. They are the sort who the Suicide prevention hotline was set up to help. These are people who measure their children for their coffins, where every day is worse than the day before, where each day is like that day that their mother, or their father, or their best friend, or their spouse, or their children, or their love died. They routinely listen to football games in the cemetery with Whiskey Lullaby and the Band Perry's If I Die Young playing in the background. They want the Bills to do well, and they are fans but they just cannot be happy. The Bills win the superbowl? Well, it wasn't by enough points, the bills go 0-16, well see I was right all along we are terrible.

5. The Mental Masturbators: These fans are only fans of themselves. They are happy if the Bills do what they think the Bills should do. Oh sure the Bills could win by doing something else and they won't be happy because the Bills didn't play the way they should. Also, on Draft Day they often start their fantasy draft pick posts and are very belligerent when the front office drafts someone else.

6. The Anti-Fans: These aren't fans at all, they actively want the Bills to lose and are not happy unless the Bills do lose.

7. Trolls: They're just here to start ****.

mikemac2001
08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
i really dont think the first team played bad vs steelers

so our depth might not be as good as them so if we can stay away from injuries we should have a decent year

OpIv37
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Some of the greatest coaches of all time had poor results in preseason. Even in the glory years the Bills never put up a winning record in preseason.

You have a red square and a red circle and you are calling them the same just because they just so happen to be red. Once the Bills showed they have improved they aren't magically going to be dominant in preseason.

Ok, we've been over this before.

Those great coaches that have poor preseason records have great regular season records to back them up. We don't. During the glory years, it was the same team coming back every year because there was no FA. They didn't need the preseason to practice. Apples and oranges.

More importantly, it's not about record. I told you the things that the team was doing wrong in preseason. You immediately started talking about record, even as you accuse me of the old round peg, square hole routine. I'm not evaluating the team in preseason based on their record, because that would be ridiculous. I'm evaluating on how the starters on this team actually played during the game.

If you honestly think that Fitz will be more accurate, our LB's will learn to shed blocks and some WR on this team will become a legit #2 just because the word in front of "season" changes from "pre" to "regular," you are kidding yourself.

BertSquirtgum
08-27-2012, 11:39 AM
welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of Bills fannery. There are at least 5 groups of people on this board, much like there were on the range:

3. the Manic Depressives: Bills won: ****ing A man yeah, we are number one and superbowl bound. Bills lost: fire the coach, cut the players, kill ralph and burn the ****ing stadium down game over man game over

Me

trapezeus
08-27-2012, 11:42 AM
my deal is that i reserve judgement until opening day. it is entirely possible the bills crappy offense in preseason is based on its throw only plays they've been going with. They have a WR corp that isn't set after johnson. So in games that don't count, it's good to get those guys live game speed action and see whatyou have. Perhaps a gameday plan to get freddy running early will create more mismatches and a more diverse offense. This is the hope.

But if they come out against a bad jets team and struggle to put up points and let sanchez and god forbid tebow look like allstars, there is a real worry that the season could turn out like some many others in the past 12 years.

It all comes down to this first game. if they chase sanchez and get the tebow chant going, they'll have squarely put themselves in the position of being the team in East to push the patriots out. and that confidence could go a very long way very fast.

If they make the jets allstars, there will be self loathing fans and teammates who just don't know what the hell it is they can do to create a winner.

However, the article in the news about how levtre and wood are concerned that the line isn't as gelled as last year is a worry. The fact that the Stache is not a great game day DC is worrisome. The fact that the CB's are struggling is a worry. The fact the LB's aren't looking good is a worry.

Sept 9th, we'll know what we are in store for. as a completely unreligous man, i am praying for a good season.

madness
08-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Those great coaches that have poor preseason records have great regular season records to back them up. We don't. During the glory years, it was the same team coming back every year because there was no FA. They didn't need the preseason to practice. Apples and oranges.

More importantly, it's not about record. I told you the things that the team was doing wrong in preseason. You immediately started talking about record, even as you accuse me of the old round peg, square hole routine. I'm not evaluating the team in preseason based on their record, because that would be ridiculous. I'm evaluating on how the starters on this team actually played during the game.

If you honestly think that Fitz will be more accurate, our LB's will learn to shed blocks and some WR on this team will become a legit #2 just because the word in front of "season" changes from "pre" to "regular," you are kidding yourself.

So you think 15-20 snaps without any game planning is enough of a record to translate how well they will do into a full 60 minute game?

SquishDaFish
08-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Oh so going by the past years means it will always be that way And we will never get better. Ok Gotcha :crazy:

HAMMER
08-27-2012, 11:55 AM

"Ok, we've been over this before." Holy doucheyness, this is the problem with your "realism", you are a total d!&k about it.

SquishDaFish
08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
actually Chan does. When he was the OC of the fins they were they were the team that ran the most at one point and ended up ranked 8th in run attempts at the end of the regular season.

As the Pitts OC in 97 they ranked 1 in attempts.

Dont throw facts at these trolls Justa

OpIv37
08-27-2012, 11:57 AM
So you think 15-20 snaps without any game planning is enough of a record to translate how well they will do into a full 60 minute game?

First, according to Chan, we did game plan for the Steelers.

Second, our opponents don't game plan either. I'm still waiting for an explanation about how other teams that aren't game planning can look so much better than us. Once again, game planning won't make Fitz be more accurate, it won't make the LB's shed blocks, etc.

Historian
08-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Betcha never thought that you would look back on the "Jauron Trifecta" and consider them "The Good Old Days"...did ya?

Oaf
08-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm of the school of thought it wasn't injuries that did us in last year.. it was an offense that got figured out by the back-to-back Ryan games, and a defense that only succeeded if it could get INTs.

madness
08-27-2012, 12:43 PM
First, according to Chan, we did game plan for the Steelers.

Second, our opponents don't game plan either. I'm still waiting for an explanation about how other teams that aren't game planning can look so much better than us. Once again, game planning won't make Fitz be more accurate, it won't make the LB's shed blocks, etc.

I'm curious as I did not see the game yet... how did our 1st team do against a 12-4 team who had arguably the best defense in the league and a top 15 offense?

justasportsfan
08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm curious as I did not see the game yet... how did our 1st team do against a 12-4 team who had arguably the best defense in the league and a top 15 offense?

they had their moments but understand that there wasn't any time to make adjustments on both sides. There weren't enough snaps to go between the running game and pass game.

It's also hard to gauge if the were trying to run added schemes that Gailey said they would put in which could be a reason why the lack of timing and communication between Fitz and his favorite target. ok, I'm likely spinning this part :D

Mr. Pink
08-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Dont throw facts at these trolls Justa

:rofl:

We had a point differential of -3.9 for the season.

We ran the ball, by design, 334 times. And passed the ball, by design, 578 times.

So we passed the ball, by design, 63% of the time.

And in these games we got blown out...against Dallas we didn't even attempt a running play before we were down 14-0. We attempted 3 running plays by the time it was 21-0. Against Miami, we got the opening kickoff and ran 7 times ALL FIRST HALF. Against the Chargers, it's 23-10 and we have the football, we've ran the ball 8 times at that point in the game, next play pass. Intercepted. TD Chargers. 2nd Pats game, we're up 21-7 early. We run the ball ONE more time in the first half. We're up to 21-14 going into the half, we run the ball THREE more times. 21-20, we don't bother running the ball. NE takes the lead, we run the ball 3 times the rest of the game and lose 48-21.

How's that for facts?

And that doesn't even account for the fact we pissed away the Bengals and Giants game by not running the football more.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2012, 12:57 PM

We actually held our own starters vs starters.

Outside of the 2 minute drill defense where Pittsburgh went 99 yards for a TD they looked good.

That series though defensively we looked like a joke.

Was 14-7 going into half.

justasportsfan
08-27-2012, 01:21 PM
And in these games we got blown out...against Dallas we didn't even attempt a running play before we were down 14-0.

We attempted 3 running plays by the time it was 21-0. Against Miami, we got the opening kickoff and ran 7 times ALL FIRST HALF. Against the Chargers, it's 23-10 and we have the football, we've ran the ball 8 times at that point in the game, next play pass. Intercepted. TD Chargers. 2nd Pats game, we're up 21-7 early. We run the ball ONE more time in the first half. We're up to 21-14 going into the half, we run the ball THREE more times. 21-20, we don't bother running the ball. NE takes the lead, we run the ball 3 times the rest of the game and lose 48-21.

How's that for facts?

And that doesn't even account for the fact we pissed away the Bengals and Giants game by not running the football more. the cowboys had the first possession and scored in their first possession. I agree the bills didn't attempt a run in their 1st possession that went 3 and out. Cowboys score another TD is their next possession . 14-0 We're already playing catch up. Bills try to run the ball but were not very successful compared to throwing the ball. Cowboys score again another TD. Running was no longer an option especially when throwing was better.

JoeMama
08-27-2012, 02:30 PM

This board isn't a monolith.

You're making some generous stretches of the imagination by attributing a couple threads to the fans' overall attitude toward the team.

Despite the dumpster fire that is our backup QB situation, I still think we make the playoffs.

We need a healthy Fitz, a healthy line, and pressure up front.

This is the first time in 12 years I've predicted the playoffs, so my 12-0 record is on the line. I stand by it. We make it to 11-5.

mjt328
08-27-2012, 02:41 PM
HOW CAN YOU GAUGE THIS IN LESS THAN 4 QUARTERS OF ACTUAL PLAY???

I'm gauging this on the last 3 seasons/37 starts that Fitzpatrick has played for us.
He's always been an inconsistent player. I am hoping for improvement. So far in the preseason, he looks like the same guy.

Same thing with the defense. We've been bad since the day Pat Williams walked out the door.
I was hoping for something better this year, but our back 7 looks awful.

TacklingDummy
08-27-2012, 02:42 PM
The reality is that people can't fathom how much little weight preseason actually carries into the regular season.Maybe because it's been a bad team for so long in the regular season. This isn't the Kelly Era pre-season where we knew they would play better come the regular season.

madness
08-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Incompletions due partly to miscommunication (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/08/26/incompletions-due-partly-to-miscommunication/)

<small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2012-08-26T01:17:59-0400" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: initial; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-variant: normal; cursor: pointer; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-color: initial; ">August 26, 2012 – 1:17 am </abbr></small>

Ryan Fitzpatrick was just 7-18 passing including a stretch of 2-8 for 24 yards in the second quarter when Buffalo’s offense ground to a halt. As the saying goes the quarterback gets too much of the blame when things go wrong and that was the case as Chan Gailey saw it.
Four of those six incompletions in the second quarter were due to misccomunication from Gailey’s view of it.

“I think I am going to see the same thing on the film that I saw out there,” said Gailey. ”Some guys did not go to the right places for (Fitzpatrick). We have to make sure that we get guys going in the right places for him. He saw it and I thought that he was going to the right place (with the ball). We just have to keep working on the little things that we were doing well last year. If we can keep people off of him, I think we will be fine. He got hit too much tonight. There were too many people around him.”
When Buffalobills.com asked for specifics Gailey explained.
“We had somebody stop on a route,” said Gailey. ”We had somebody think that it was going to be down the field when it was a back shoulder, stop throw. We have to keep working on getting on the same page on those things like that.”

2) Active Linebackers (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/08/26/first-impressions-steelers-bills/)
As last season progressed, the Bills saw increased production from their linebacking corps, particularly Nick Barnett and Kelvin Sheppard. It looks like it could now become a position of strength this season. Barnett and Sheppard were all over the field making plays, particularly against the run. They will certainly benefit from the improved defensive front, and we may see the Bills move away from last year’s reliance on their dime package.

While there was solid play in the running game, the linebackers did give up some plays in coverage. LB Arthur Moats is battling for the job on the strong side and he was beaten by TE Heath Miller for a first down deep in Buffalo territory. One of the biggest plays of the first half came on 3rd-and-9 from the Steelers 3-yard line as Barnett got beat on a wheel route by RB Jonathan Dwyer for 33 yards to prolong the eventual touchdown drive.

The Bills only played their base defense 28% of the time last season (30th in the league), but it looks like the linebackers will have more responsibility here in 2012.

I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Luisito23
08-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I still haven't given up hope. Playoffs are definitely attainable, but we have to catch a lot of breaks, and for a team as snake bitten as ours, we'll see how it goes.

HAMMER
08-27-2012, 04:49 PM
I watched the first half again and I fail to see why everyone here feels the sky is falling.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-28-2012, 05:50 AM
I watched the first half again and I fail to see why everyone here feels the sky is falling.
Four drives in enemy territory. One touchdown. Zero field goals. Three three-and-outs. Now, I've heard of vanilla offenses but this is ridiculous!

OpIv37
08-28-2012, 07:21 AM

DL looked good, save for 1 drive. The LB's are slow and don't shed blocks or wrap up tackles.

The O was pretty putrid. They had one good drive and seemed to get more out of sync as the game went on. Most of their drive starts were good and they still failed to produce. Spiller's turnover led to the first Pittsburgh TD. The O had the ball with 3:37 left in the first half at mid-field and went 3 and out, resulting in a punt. They couldn't get close enough for a long FG attempt or even just take time off the clock. You can make a good argument that the D shouldn't have allowed a 99 yard TD drive, but the reality is that if the O was remotely competent, the D never would have been in that position.

OpIv37
08-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Incompletions due partly to miscommunication (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/08/26/incompletions-due-partly-to-miscommunication/)

<small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2012-08-26T01:17:59-0400" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: initial; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-variant: normal; cursor: pointer; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-color: initial; ">August 26, 2012 – 1:17 am </abbr></small>

Ryan Fitzpatrick was just 7-18 passing including a stretch of 2-8 for 24 yards in the second quarter when Buffalo’s offense ground to a halt. As the saying goes the quarterback gets too much of the blame when things go wrong and that was the case as Chan Gailey saw it.
Four of those six incompletions in the second quarter were due to misccomunication from Gailey’s view of it.

“I think I am going to see the same thing on the film that I saw out there,” said Gailey. ”Some guys did not go to the right places for (Fitzpatrick). We have to make sure that we get guys going in the right places for him. He saw it and I thought that he was going to the right place (with the ball). We just have to keep working on the little things that we were doing well last year. If we can keep people off of him, I think we will be fine. He got hit too much tonight. There were too many people around him.”
When Buffalobills.com asked for specifics Gailey explained.
“We had somebody stop on a route,” said Gailey. ”We had somebody think that it was going to be down the field when it was a back shoulder, stop throw. We have to keep working on getting on the same page on those things like that.”

2) Active Linebackers (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/08/26/first-impressions-steelers-bills/)
As last season progressed, the Bills saw increased production from their linebacking corps, particularly Nick Barnett and Kelvin Sheppard. It looks like it could now become a position of strength this season. Barnett and Sheppard were all over the field making plays, particularly against the run. They will certainly benefit from the improved defensive front, and we may see the Bills move away from last year’s reliance on their dime package.

While there was solid play in the running game, the linebackers did give up some plays in coverage. LB Arthur Moats is battling for the job on the strong side and he was beaten by TE Heath Miller for a first down deep in Buffalo territory. One of the biggest plays of the first half came on 3rd-and-9 from the Steelers 3-yard line as Barnett got beat on a wheel route by RB Jonathan Dwyer for 33 yards to prolong the eventual touchdown drive.

The Bills only played their base defense 28% of the time last season (30th in the league), but it looks like the linebackers will have more responsibility here in 2012.

I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

As far as Fitz: convenient excuses. I'm sure there were a few times that the WR's went to the wrong spots, but he also missed quite a few. And, this isn't a new thing that just cropped up. It's been a constant problem throughout his career. And, if the WR's had all of camp plus 3 preseason games to figure out where to go and couldn't get it, what makes you think they're going to magically figure it out when the games count and the offense gets more complex?

As far as the LB's, you quote this:

Really? So putting the worst unit of the D on the field more is supposed to make them better? Huh?

And I disagree that the LB's made plays in the running game. I saw at least 3 plays where Barnett had the RB and didn't finish the tackle, at least not before getting pushed back 2 or 3 yards. This included Pitt's first TD. There was another Pitt running play that got called back for holding, and either Barnett or Moats (I can't remember now) got completely washed out of the play to allow the run (and no, that wasn't the holding call- it was K Williams that got held).

Historian
08-28-2012, 07:43 AM
I saw one good drive in the Vikes game, and one good drive Saturday night.

The rest were full of mental errors and the like.

It just doesn't instill much confidence with me at this point.

DraftBoy
08-28-2012, 07:51 AM
When did rookies qualify as top level talent? We have no idea what to expect from those and the preseason has given little indication.

cookie G
08-28-2012, 08:31 AM
As far as the LB's, you quote this:

Really? So putting the worst unit of the D on the field more is supposed to make them better? Huh?

And I disagree that the LB's made plays in the running game. I saw at least 3 plays where Barnett had the RB and didn't finish the tackle, at least not before getting pushed back 2 or 3 yards. This included Pitt's first TD. There was another Pitt running play that got called back for holding, and either Barnett or Moats (I can't remember now) got completely washed out of the play to allow the run (and no, that wasn't the holding call- it was K Williams that got held).

They held Pitt to 31 yards rushing on 16 attempts in the first half.

cookie G
08-28-2012, 08:34 AM

A bit worrisome, but they only had one game in last year's preseason where they scored more than 1 TD.

madness
08-28-2012, 04:26 PM
The Jets offense has yet to score a TD in preseason. Should we assume they are heading for an 0-16 season?

TacklingDummy
08-28-2012, 04:54 PM
The Jets offense has yet to score a TD in preseason. Should we assume they are heading for an 0-16 season?

No because they play the Bills twice. 2-14.

better days
08-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Four drives in enemy territory. One touchdown. Zero field goals. Three three-and-outs. Now, I've heard of vanilla offenses but this is ridiculous!

Vanilla offense against a Chocolate defense. The Steelers ran the same defense they will run during the regular season in that game.

ServoBillieves
08-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Have you watched the past 12 years? Because this is the same exact team that has been on the field for those years. This team, led by Jauron, Philips, Williams, et cetera, stands no chance against these teams that have made free agent pick ups and drafted well. I feel sorry for Bills fans since as of right now, there is no chance for the Bills to do anything... here and out. There is no such thing as an offseason, and if you fail in the preseason, you are immediately doomed.

Sincerely,

Every idiot on this board.

BertSquirtgum
08-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Vanilla offense against a Chocolate defense. The Steelers ran the same defense they will run during the regular season in that game.

Bull****. Gailey said they had game planned just as they would during the regular season.

OpIv37
08-28-2012, 09:51 PM
They held Pitt to 31 yards rushing on 16 attempts in the first half.

That was more on the DL than the LB's

better days
08-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Bull****. Gailey said they had game planned just as they would during the regular season.

Yes they game planned. That does not mean the Bills ran anything but a vanilla offense or defense. Gailey also said the Steelers ran the same defense they run in midseason. I doubt the Bills did that on offense or defense. The starters looked good in the first half IMO.

better days
08-29-2012, 09:24 AM

Well, I have been reading the Jets message board because that is our first game....& I am a Tebow fan. Before the preseason games started, the Jets were going to beat the Bills 91-0. NOW you would think it was the great crash again in NY with people jumping off buildings.

OpIv37
08-29-2012, 09:30 AM

Really? So the Bills don't game plan in the preseason but our opponents do? Please. You have to do better than "they were trying but we weren't."

Gotta love this board sometimes. The Bills are apparently the only team that doesn't game plan in preseason, that gets better through the draft, that gets better through player improvement, etc.

People don't seem to realize that these things apply to our opponents too.

better days
08-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Really? So the Bills don't game plan in the preseason but our opponents do? Please. You have to do better than "they were trying but we weren't."

Gotta love this board sometimes. The Bills are apparently the only team that doesn't game plan in preseason, that gets better through the draft, that gets better through player improvement, etc.

People don't seem to realize that these things apply to our opponents too.

Read my post #80. Chan said that "the Steelers run the same defense in preseason that they do in midseason, that is who they are." I doubt the Bills do that from what Chan said.

OpIv37
08-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Read my post #80. Chan said that "the Steelers run the same defense in preseason that they do in midseason, that is who they are." I doubt the Bills do that from what Chan said.
First, Chan also said that the Bills game planned for this game.

Second, Chan doesn't work for the Steelers. He got best by them. And he said this to the media. It's a convenient excuse after a bad performance. "their game plan was real. Ours was fake." Please.

better days
08-29-2012, 11:20 AM
First, Chan also said that the Bills game planned for this game.

Second, Chan doesn't work for the Steelers. He got best by them. And he said this to the media. It's a convenient excuse after a bad performance. "their game plan was real. Ours was fake." Please.

He said the Steelers would play the same defense they play at midseason BEFORE the game was played. He did say the Bills would game plan for this game, but he did not say the Bills would play anything but basic vanilla. Like I said before, I thought the Starters looked good in that game.

OpIv37
08-29-2012, 11:25 AM
The Steelers did look good but it's the NFL. We are going to see a lot of D's that look good. It's no excuse.

better days
08-29-2012, 11:30 AM
The Steelers did look good but it's the NFL. We are going to see a lot of D's that look good. It's no excuse.

No need for excuses. Especially in preseason. I expect the Bills to bring it against the Jets week one.

trapezeus
08-29-2012, 11:56 AM
i have watched like 2 minutes of preseason and read a little bit about it. too lazy to look at box scores, but are the bills essentialy passing only on offense?

that first game they didn't run once with the starters. This got me to thinking maybe chan is just worried about the WR and wants to see everyone perform. and they don't necessarily care if people are catching it or not, theyjust want to see all the receivers and see who gets seperation, who plays well when their number isn't called, etc.

So if you combine the fact that the bills aren't running much, then you kind of are in the boat of thinking the preseason doesn't matter much.

but on the flip side, if gailey thought through camp they were close and was trying to get everyone onto page to be ready to go, what we've seen so far is pathetic.