PDA

View Full Version : Keeping four QB's

YardRat
08-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Did I just hear that right on the news? Gailey hasn't ruled out starting the season with 4 QB's on the roster if Jackson doesn't pick up the offense quick enough? Seriously?

Extremebillsfan247
08-27-2012, 05:44 PM
It's a complicated offense. I can see why Gailey would entertain that thought. Thigpen isn't as talented as Young was, or T. Jackson is. But he knows this offense really well. It will take Tavaris awhile to get acclimated here. JMO

Michael82
08-27-2012, 05:55 PM
There's no way we are going to keep 4 Special Teams only players (Moorman/Lindell/Potter/Sanborn) and 4 QBs. That would make the decisions of who to cut even harder.

stuckincincy
08-27-2012, 06:06 PM
There's no way we are going to keep 4 Special Teams only players (Moorman/Lindell/Potter/Sanborn) and 4 QBs. That would make the decisions of who to cut even harder.

Conspiracy Theory #1 - they are trying to peddle off Brad Smith somehow.

Conspiracy Theory #2 - Potter hasn't attempted FGs...they are hoping to sneak him onto the practice squad.

EDS
08-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I am at a total loss as to what management thinks Brad Smith brings to the table.

Skooby
08-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Brad has pictures of something terrible if he stays, that's all I can come up with.

cookie G
08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Brad Smith isn't a QB. He's a Wildcat RB and a WR/special teams guy.

Jaybird
08-27-2012, 06:49 PM
As soon as Jackson is comfortable... Thigpen should be out the door

coastal
08-27-2012, 06:59 PM
can we start with one legitimate QB and go from there?

YardRat
08-27-2012, 09:57 PM

I guess Nix may have said just as much earlier this evening...referring to Smith as 'strictly a WR'.

The Jokeman
08-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Did I just hear that right on the news? Gailey hasn't ruled out starting the season with 4 QB's on the roster if Jackson doesn't pick up the offense quick enough? Seriously?

Roster spots 52 and 53 generally are guys you can easily bring up from a practice squad or sign as a street free agent so I don't mind doing the first few weeks of course it probably means making Jackson get more reps in practice than Thigpen but the only reason we're keeping Thigpen around is just incase something happens with Fitz have someone that at least knows what Gailey's O is about but won't have the practice time behind if forced into game action. It's a catch 22 but think it's worth it in the few weeks of the season but come Week 4 or 5 then it's time to cut Thigpen.

Meathead
08-27-2012, 10:08 PM
tough decisions to make if jackson isnt ready game 1

if they dont carry the four qbs then they risk fitz getting knocked out and having to throw jackson into the fire or play a terrible smith, either of which is likely a forfeit of the game if it happens early

carry four and you have to drop somebody you were planning to keep. best scenario i guess is to put somebody on the ps and hope he doesnt get plucked by somebody else - carder or sanders idk

cookie G
08-27-2012, 10:25 PM
I guess Nix may have said just as much earlier this evening...referring to Smith as 'strictly a WR'.

yeah, considering he's only thrown about 2 passes in the last 3 years.

Maybe they're trading for Brees to be the 4th.

ServoBillieves
08-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Thig is like Rudy, that little pest who won't give up. Smith is a gadget, he is not a QB. Hell, he's a better WR than anything else. That 3rd QB spot that is issued for gameday is specifically for players like Smith. You get weapons.

It will be Fitz, Tjax, and the "3rd string QB" Smith. End of story if this team wants to be competent.

BertSquirtgum
08-27-2012, 11:15 PM

and a waste of a roster spot. He should be cut.

Syderick
08-28-2012, 12:04 AM
They've got to figure out who's going to be the backup QB

G Wolly
08-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Who knew Thigpen was considered a quarterback?

kishoph
08-28-2012, 03:01 AM
Conspiracy Theory #1 - they are trying to peddle off Brad Smith somehow.

Conspiracy Theory #2 - Potter hasn't attempted FGs...they are hoping to sneak him onto the practice squad.

#1- This could be possible, the thought crossed my mind when Spiller was back there in the Wildcat the other night and if T. Jackson does catch on, there's no reason he couldn't run the Wildcat. Smith does seem expendable, with the changes in the kicking game, his number of returns would be minimal, plus we have plenty of capable return men. As far as receiver, I'd much rather have Roosevelt in there than Smith, But I don't know if Roosevelt would survive the practice squad.

#2- I don't think there's a chance Potter would survive the practice squad, people underestimate how valuable it could be to always have the opposition start at their 20 yd. line, plus the wear and tear it would save on all those guys on coverage teams.

I think you're right that they may have to sneak someone onto the practice squad, but who ?

Night Train
08-28-2012, 04:34 AM
Reality = We need Thigpen to play most of the Thursday night game and feel good about himself.

kishoph
08-28-2012, 05:13 AM
Reality = We need Thigpen to play most of the Thursday night game and feel good about himself.

The year he stated 11 games for the Chiefs, he really wasn't terrible (good enough to be a back up), but he has digressed ever since. As with any athlete confidence means a lot and I'd guess his is pretty low, I'm sure there's more to it than that, but if he could get back to where he once was, he'd be at least a serviceable back up, but that seems like it's just wishful thinking at this time. It's time (it's been time) to draft a QB and draft him high, not another 7th rounder for camp fodder or the practice squad.

GingerP
08-28-2012, 05:38 AM
I think it is sad they have 3 regular QB and a WR/Wildcat guy and not one of them is a developmental guy. They are all around 28-29 years old.

Albany,n.y.
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Thigpen is getting cut this weekend, but don't be surprised if he is brought back after the salary guarantee for the season period expires. If Jackson is having problems with the O, Thigpen will be back ASAP, if any QB gets hurt, Thigpen will be back.
Anyone who wants Thigpen out of here shouldn't start celebrating when he's cut because HE'LL BE BACK

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is sad they have 3 regular QB and a WR/Wildcat guy and not one of them is a developmental guy. They are all around 28-29 years old.

In Cleveland they call the QB that age rookie.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-28-2012, 05:02 PM
I think it is sad they have 3 regular QB and a WR/Wildcat guy and not one of them is a developmental guy. They are all around 28-29 years old. They run them all out of town. Levi Brown, Brian Brohm, Aaron Corp, Ryan Tanney-- all gone.

This, and the decision to trade away valuable draft picks for a new second-string quarterback who has no exposure to the system after training camp is practically over, shows everything you need to know about how this team is being managed. Gailey supposedly did it because of consistency. Hello?! Ryan Fitzpatrick, your multi-millionaire starter, is one of the most inconsistent players there is. At least Vince Young can lead a team to the playoffs, and has the record to prove it! Say what you want about Vince Young's intelligence, it's still higher than any of the managers of the Buffalo Bills. They seem to be taking the lease extension for granted...

PTI
08-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Too bad we don't have Roscoe Parrish, we could have had 5 QBs. Should add Levi Brown as well.

gebobs
08-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Gailey is lost. If it was any other team, they would have figured that out long ago.

Remember how the Bills chided their fans when he was hired, advising patience as if 9 years wasn't patient enough. Remember the promise of a 3-year plan.

Sorry, the plan is not working.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Gailey is lost. If it was any other team, they would have figured that out long ago.

Remember how the Bills chided their fans when he was hired, advising patience as if 9 years wasn't patient enough. Remember the promise of a 3-year plan.

Sorry, the plan is not working.
Give me until say week fourteen or a 2-8 or worse start before I agree with you. However, I think OBD is very nervous about our QB depth. Fitz is okay unless he fades away after week eight like he did last year, but beneath him you have Virus Jackson, Figgy puddin', and notSmithandwesson.

gebobs
08-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Give me until say week fourteen or a 2-8 or worse start before I agree with you. However, I think OBD is very nervous about our QB depth. Fitz is okay unless he fades away after week eight like he did last year, but beneath him you have Virus Jackson, Figgy puddin', and notSmithandwesson.
This is simply symptomatic of a franchise in disarray. Fitz is not okay and the sad thing is he is the best we have by far.