PDA

View Full Version : BBD: Bills v. Steelers Review

DraftBoy
08-28-2012, 07:36 AM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/08/bills-v-steelers-review/

This is the third preseason game for the Bills. Traditionally, this is the game where the starters get the most playing time, and, unlike most preseason games, Bills coach Chan Gailey said his team would do some game-planning. People will argue back and forth about how much can be learned about a team from preseason, but this is the closest thing that the team will have to a dress rehearsal.

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m out of market, so I was unable to watch the game live on Saturday. I’m writing this after the Monday NFL Network replay, so I have the curse of being influenced by what I read before watching the game and the benefits of knowing how the Bills addressed some of the problems (backup QB, anyone?).

Written by our very own Op.

TigerJ
08-28-2012, 10:02 AM
It seemed like a pretty balanced review, coming from someone who didn't even have a chance to see a rebroadcast. Good job, Op.

Historian
08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Gailey’s use of timeouts and challenges is infinitely better than Jauron’s. This will be crucial if we have to go into the season with replacement refs.

Good point. Never thought of that.

jimmifli
08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I few things that stood out to me:

Freddie Jackson is the slowest RB in the history of the NFL capable of getting to the outside and turning upfield for a gain of 12. How the **** he does it I don't know, but it's fun to watch.
The running game looked good and I think Chan trusts it, I hope we will see more runs this season.
Kyle Williams is the the backfield so fast he looks like he's offside.
Everyone hates on McKelvin but he had a pretty good game. He looked dangerous on the punt return and his coverage was better than last season, he's clearly locked up the 3rd CB (and maybe more?).

OpIv37
08-28-2012, 11:46 AM
I few things that stood out to me:

Freddie Jackson is the slowest RB in the history of the NFL capable of getting to the outside and turning upfield for a gain of 12. How the **** he does it I don't know, but it's fun to watch.
The running game looked good and I think Chan trusts it, I hope we will see more runs this season.
Kyle Williams is the the backfield so fast he looks like he's offside.
Everyone hates on McKelvin but he had a pretty good game. He looked dangerous on the punt return and his coverage was better than last season, he's clearly locked up the 3rd CB (and maybe more?).

I said almost the exact same thing to a couple of my coworkers this morning. There was actually one play where he got off the ball so fast that I had to rewind it 2 or 3 times to be sure the replacement refs didn't miss an offsides call.

As far as McKelvin, there were a couple of completions in front of him. He wasn't horrible, but he wasn't great. I agree that he's probably the 3rd CB right now, and you could make the case of putting him in front of Aaron Williams just because of the experience factor, but I would rather get Williams the experience, even if it costs us a few plays. And considering that McKelvin is a former #8 overall pick, he should be better than 3rd behind a rookie and a 2nd year 2nd round guy. I do think he did well in the return game- I just think he could have done a little better on a couple of the runs if he made a decision and put his head down instead of dancing or doubling back looking for a hole.

jimmifli
08-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I said almost the exact same thing to a couple of my coworkers this morning. There was actually one play where he got off the ball so fast that I had to rewind it 2 or 3 times to be sure the replacement refs didn't miss an offsides call.

As far as McKelvin, there were a couple of completions in front of him. He wasn't horrible, but he wasn't great. I agree that he's probably the 3rd CB right now, and you could make the case of putting him in front of Aaron Williams just because of the experience factor, but I would rather get Williams the experience, even if it costs us a few plays. And considering that McKelvin is a former #8 overall pick, he should be better than 3rd behind a rookie and a 2nd year 2nd round guy. I do think he did well in the return game- I just think he could have done a little better on a couple of the runs if he made a decision and put his head down instead of dancing or doubling back looking for a hole.

It's fair to judge a draft pick based on where he was selected and his performance. But after a few years in the league you need to judge him as a football player. As a football player he's probably the 2nd best CB on the team, and a special teams contributor.

That makes him a weak 8th overall draft pick, but a pretty good contributor to the team.

MikeInRoch
08-29-2012, 06:15 PM
However, the defensive line was spectacular.

I cannot recall the last time I've read something like this about our line. It warms my heart.