PDA

View Full Version : Preseason doesn't matter.

BertSquirtgum
08-29-2012, 12:17 AM
The people that actually believe this are fools.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article1025934.ece

SquishDaFish
08-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Man I cant wait for the reg season.

mikemac2001
08-29-2012, 07:55 AM
jerry sullivan doesnt he cry and complain the most....the D line looks fast and i don't even think there all going full speed (also oline deals with them 2 drives not all game)

preseason isnt a full game it isnt a full game plan and you don't get a chance to adjust like u do in reg season....also you dont have time for freddie and our dline to wear down the other teams....u can cry once the reg season starts.

buffalobillsfan95
08-29-2012, 08:00 AM
I think it's important. It helps the offense and defense start to get a feel for the speed again and gel together. I don't believe the performance during preseason will reflect how we will be all year. I also think its important to discover raw talent and those are people who preform well with no game plan.

OpIv37
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
jerry sullivan doesnt he cry and complain the most....the D line looks fast and i don't even think there all going full speed (also oline deals with them 2 drives not all game)

preseason isnt a full game it isnt a full game plan and you don't get a chance to adjust like u do in reg season....also you dont have time for freddie and our dline to wear down the other teams....u can cry once the reg season starts.

Uh, did you even read the article? Sullivan liked Jackson and th DL and basically said the team will do well as long as the starters stay healthy.

BertSquirtgum
08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
This was not a crying fest thread. I just don't get the people that say "blah blah blah har har har, it's only preseason." It does matter for teams that blow. We are not in the golden age of the early 90's. Where all the veterans are pro-bowlers and do not need to practice.

HAMMER
08-29-2012, 12:03 PM
You will all be right back on the bandwagon after we destroy the Jets Wk 1.

Buffalogic
08-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Every thread, actually every post you make Hurkey is worse than the one before it. You are just a terrible poster and the board would be better without you. Your idiotic and repetitive drivel far outweighs your pleasant avatars. Please reevaluate your presence here. That is all.

justasportsfan
08-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Preseason doesn't count but it matters

TedMock
08-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I think Justa hit the nail on the head when he said it "doesn't count, but it matters." That's where I think most people fall, but fail to properly articulate. It does matter, but it matters in a different way beyond wins and losses. Different looks, different styles, different pairings, position battles, multiple postion ability, bottom of the roster, etc. One of the goals is also, obviously, to play well and play consistent. I think the starters have done "okay," but certainly need consistency. The backups are wildly inconsistent and that is very scary.

SquishDaFish
08-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Sorry we need to be more specific for your greatness Hurkey. Preseason RESULTS (you now WINS and LOSSES) DONT MATTER. So teams (coaches) dont try to win those games. Now preseason does matter for the players to make sure they are in shape and to weed out the players who wont make the team. Thats the only thing that matters in PRESEASON.

BertSquirtgum
08-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Every thread, actually every post you make Hurkey is worse than the one before it. You are just a terrible poster and the board would be better without you. Your idiotic and repetitive drivel far outweighs your pleasant avatars. Please reevaluate your presence here. That is all.

Why does everyone on the range hate you? I think you post on this site to make yourself feel better.

BertSquirtgum
08-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Sorry we need to be more specific for your greatness Hurkey. Preseason RESULTS (you now WINS and LOSSES) DONT MATTER. So teams (coaches) dont try to win those games. Now preseason does matter for the players to make sure they are in shape and to weed out the players who wont make the team. Thats the only thing that matters in PRESEASON.

I feel like you're just mad because your wife bought you season tickets this year and you're going to spend a lot of money to watch the team blow again. I could be wrong and hope to be wrong because I also spent a lot of money on season tickets. The reality of the situation doesn't look optimistic to me.

ryven
08-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Check the Bills "glory" years. I don't know if they ever won a preseason game.

Coach Sal
08-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Check the Bills "glory" years. I don't know if they ever won a preseason game.

Horrible comparison. It was before the era of real free agency. They had the same players, the same coaches, and they were really, really talented across the board. They didn't have to work on things to the extent that a team like this Bills team does.

When this team gets to 4 straight Super Bowls.....or heck, even MAKES the playoffs 4 straight years, then I'll care less about how they look in the preseason. I'm not jumping off bridges over what I saw the last 3 weeks. They actually did some very good things, like clean up the penalties, show the DL is coning together like it should, and get better each game overall (starters, at least). That last part is actually the biggest thing in preseason. Get better each week so you're ready for week one.

But there are also things that don't make me feel warm and fuzzy about. Like bad communication between QB and WRs, poor 3rd down execution, and giving up several big plays.

I'm don't understand why people can't look at it from a broader view and not just "it really matters" vs. "it doesn't matter at all."

Coach Sal
08-29-2012, 01:53 PM
The people that actually believe this are fools.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article1025934.ece

Question.

Do you thnk Rex Ryan and his coaches are showing up to work this week (and have the past 2-3 weeks) having a bunch of laughs while looking at the preseason game film and saying to each other, "ah, who the hell cares, preseason doesn't matter?"

No. I'm sure they're pretty concerned about what they've seen from their offense so far and are using those games and the film to find out how to fix it before they play the Bills.

THAT'S where preseason matters. Not on the scoreboard. But evaluating where you are good, where you're bad, and working to get as good as you can before week one.

SquishDaFish
08-29-2012, 01:55 PM
I feel like you're just mad because your wife bought you season tickets this year and you're going to spend a lot of money to watch the team blow again. I could be wrong and hope to be wrong because I also spent a lot of money on season tickets. The reality of the situation doesn't look optimistic to me.

Im not mad at all. Im very happy to be spending my money on these tickets. I LOVE football and really believe the Bills are on the right path and are going to be good and more likely make the playoffs barring injury.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2012, 02:02 PM
The reason why I don't think preseason matters or that it's meaningless is because they're little more than glorified scrimmages.

You have your core group of players who you know pretty much what you're getting out of them before even playing any of these games.

Guys that breakout in preseason and then have it transfer over that same year to the regular season are few and far between.

Just because you go 0-4 in preseason and your team looks like crap doesn't mean they'll look like crap come week 1 and conversely if you come out firing on all cylinders and go 4-0 it doesn't mean you're gonna be great in the regular season.

This team looks not too much different than what we saw out of it last year, in my opinion. There's still a little hope every year going into preseason that they'll come out like gangbusters and then a reason to "think" it'll translate to regular season play, truth is, it usually doesn't but still there's more room for optimism if so.

Really, these games matter for the fringe roster players and a couple guys battling for a starting job however. Fitzpatrick could have gone 0-25 in preseason with 5 INTs and he's still gonna be the week 1 starter as an example of a player where preseason doesn't matter. Mario Williams was a nonfactor in the first 2 games and no one cared, why? Because he's Mario Williams and it's preseason. Just two examples.

Now, for a player that it did matter...Vince Young. He went from cementing the number 2 job to being cut in less than a week.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Question.

Do you thnk Rex Ryan and his coaches are showing up to work this week (and have the past 2-3 weeks) having a bunch of laughs while looking at the preseason game film and saying to each other, "ah, who the hell cares, preseason doesn't matter?"

No. I'm sure they're pretty concerned about what they've seen from their offense so far and are using those games and the film to find out how to fix it before they play the Bills.

THAT'S where preseason matters. Not on the scoreboard. But evaluating where you are good, where you're bad, and working to get as good as you can before week one.

I doubt he cares. The Jets know what they have. A strong defensive team with a QB deficiency. We, on this board, even know that.

Sure them coming out and looking like absolute garbage gives him a motivational tool but I'm sure he's not sitting there thinking, "holy crap are we bad, I may be out of a job come week 10 with this squad."

justasportsfan
08-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Preseason is like practice except they are practicing against a different team other than their own. If anyone thinks practice doesn't matter then why bother with camp and OTA's. Glorified scrimmage or not it's still practice.

Coach Sal
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
The reason why I don't think preseason matters or that it's meaningless is because they're little more than glorified scrimmages..

I actually think controlled scrimmages would be a much better way for coaches to evaluate their talent. They can script situations and plays and put guys in positions they want to see if they perform in. Preseason games don't allow for that. They may want to see a guy but then he never gets in certain situations they were hoping to evaluate his play on.

Unfortunately, the NFL wants their 4 preseason games for the money and there wouldn't be 50,000 people going to controlled scrimmages. So, it's not gonna happen.

Coach Sal
08-29-2012, 02:09 PM
I doubt he cares.

And I'm pretty sure he does.

No one said he was worried about his job over it. But if you think he and Sparano are high-fiving each other when they show up in the morning and throwing away the tape because "he doesn't care," you're wrong.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2012, 02:09 PM
I actually think controlled scrimmages would be a much better way for coaches to evaluate their talent. They can script situations and plays and put guys in positions they want to see if they perform in. Preseason games don't allow for that. They may want to see a guy but then he never gets in certain situations they were hoping to evaluate his play on.

Unfortunately, the NFL wants their 4 preseason games for the money and there wouldn't be 50,000 people going to controlled scrimmages. So, it's not gonna happen.

Unless they outright expand the schedule to 20 games, you're right. But then the players will want more money.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Preseason is like practice except they are practicing against a different team other than their own. If anyone thinks practice doesn't matter then why bother with camp and OTA's. Glorified scrimmage or not it's still practice.

To get players into football shape?

Coach Sal
08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Unless they outright expand the schedule to 20 games, you're right. But then the players will want more money.

There used to be 6 preseason games.

I'm glad I was either not born or too young to remember that.

How horrible that would be to have to sit through. 4 is too many as it is.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2012, 02:14 PM
And I'm pretty sure he does.

No one said he was worried about his job over it. But if you think he and Sparano are high-fiving each other when they show up in the morning and throwing away the tape because "he doesn't care," you're wrong.

Of course he isn't doing that, he's probably happy they're looking a little bad just based on his act/persona. It gives him a legit reason to get fired up and have a motivational tool to hang over his players heads. We all know that's the type of coach he is.

Now what he thinks privately to himself we'll never know.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2012, 02:16 PM
There used to be 6 preseason games.

I'm glad I was either not born or too young to remember that.

How horrible that would be to have to sit through. 4 is too many as it is.

Or 5 if you get the HOF game.

Thankfully 6 is also before my time.

A way to balance it out, imo, would be 2 scripted scrimmages against another team - two teams or one team that you wouldn't play that regular season. Sell tickets for it, the people will come. Then have an 18 game regular season.

justasportsfan
08-29-2012, 02:19 PM
To get players into football shape?

to gauge where some players are at both physically and mentally. To see what works and what doesn't and make tweaks where needed. If the first preseason game against the redskins was a regular one, then we're screwed when it came to penalties alone. You fix it then.

You can't gauge players easily when all they do is play with each other at camp. You have to see them play in foreign situations they are not familiar with. This does not only apply to rookies but also to newly acquired players. You need to see where there's chemistry and where there isn't. Tweak what needs to be done.

BertSquirtgum
08-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Question.

Preseason does matter. That was the whole point of making this thread. So many people have been saying that preseason doesn't matter one iota.

SquishDaFish
08-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Once again I would think EVERYONE knows preseason matters just not the way u think it does. Wins and Losses DONT matter. SCORE DOESNT matter.

BertSquirtgum
08-29-2012, 02:54 PM
When have I ever said preseason wins and losses matter to me? or score for that matter? I have been saying the entire team has looked like crap, except for the interior o-line and freddy. I don't believe they are just going to flip a switch and magically turn into all-stars once the regular seasons starts. Then people say, "blah blah blah, har har har, preseason doesn't matter, they are going to be ****ing awesome once the regular season starts" That's just plain dumb.

justasportsfan
08-29-2012, 02:58 PM
here, from the players themselves

“It’s going to be valuable in the 10 plays we play to go out and build some confidence as well and also there are going to be a lot of guys getting reps there that are going to be on this team and probably play for us this year,” said Wood. ”So this last game is going to be a big one.”

“We still need some time to jell, but if we can play like we have at times when we’ve played well I think we’ll have a really solid offensive line. If we play inconsistent we’ll look as bad as we have at times this preseason. But I think over these next couple of weeks leading into New York we can make some big strides.”
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/08/29/wood-o-line-still-needs-work/

Historian
08-29-2012, 03:21 PM
I didn't see them get better each week.

I saw a stout defense in every game, as well as very good special teams.

Unfortunately, I also saw an offense that looked more like Jauron's than Gailey's.

I really hope Chan's hiding something, because if they come out this flat against the Jets, the will lose.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2012, 03:35 PM
here, from the players themselves

“It’s going to be valuable in the 10 plays we play to go out and build some confidence as well and also there are going to be a lot of guys getting reps there that are going to be on this team and probably play for us this year,” said Wood. ”So this last game is going to be a big one.”

“We still need some time to jell, but if we can play like we have at times when we’ve played well I think we’ll have a really solid offensive line. If we play inconsistent we’ll look as bad as we have at times this preseason. But I think over these next couple of weeks leading into New York we can make some big strides.”
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/08/29/wood-o-line-still-needs-work/

Because a whole 10 plays is going to make any difference? There's a magic switch that's gonna flip for them after it? Come on.

ServoBillieves
08-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Score doesn't matter. Check, we all agree.
Stats don't matter. Check, we all agree, since you don't get 60 minutes of the starters. If you don't, quit reading now idiot.
These games matter. Yes, yes they do. They let the new starters mesh, they let the rookies get some real-time NFL speed, and they let the "depth" prove themselves, as well as letting players adapt to new coordinators and just get a general feel on both ends (coaching and playing).
We have won every single preseason game. By score? No. By not having a serious injury? Yes. If you're pissing and moaning about anything other than severe injury, that is a great sign.
Did you want to see trick plays and confusing schemes in the preseason? If you did, you want opposition to know what the coaches have up their sleeves in scrimmages? Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have to WAIT for COMPETITIVE football to start. Preseason games shouldn't be the foundation of your NFL hopes. Patience is a virtue morons.
The Bills aren't done with the roster. You don't think a player that could help a need or upgrade on this team will be cut and we can fill whatever hole you want to complain about? If you are 100% against Buddy/Chan, of course you don't, but signing these other legitimate players turns in to "Oh, well they did their job, but please, let me cry about what they won't be doing, since we can pick up 22 seasoned veterans in a snap."
Shut up. I'm not pointing this at anyone in particular, just wait for the damn regular season. When we lose, you can cry your eyes out, complain about whatever you want, and pat yourself on the back when you said "oh my favorite team sucks again!" The lack of faith around here is astonishing recently. If you "know" we are going to lose, go find another team and put yourself out of your misery. If preseason is what you're basing it off of then good God go back a couple years and root for the Lions.
Let's Go Buffalo. That is all.

ServoBillieves
08-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Because a whole 10 plays is going to make any difference? There's a magic switch that's gonna flip for them after it? Come on.

Ok, so every other team that has done the same thing the entire preseason is at an advantage because the Bills didn't? Oh wait they did! So with all these other teams "losing" in the preseason, do they get a magic switch too? If not I feel really bad for Green Bay, Detroit, Atlanta, the reigning champs, New England, and KC. So much promise... Snuffed preseason!

The Browns, Jaguars, Redskins and Bucs look like sure playoff spots!

justasportsfan
08-29-2012, 03:47 PM

no but it gives you an idea. Once again, it's practice. And practice matters.

Boxers spar against other boxers prior to the fight. The US Olympic basketball team had tune up games before the Olympics. Happens all the time in sports.

SquishDaFish
08-29-2012, 04:48 PM
When have I ever said preseason wins and losses matter to me? or score for that matter? I have been saying the entire team has looked like crap, except for the interior o-line and freddy. I don't believe they are just going to flip a switch and magically turn into all-stars once the regular seasons starts. Then people say, "blah blah blah, har har har, preseason doesn't matter, they are going to be ****ing awesome once the regular season starts" That's just plain dumb.

I dont think many are saying they are going to look AWESOME. Do I think they are going to look the same they do now? NO. I think they def will play better than now when it really matters. Do I think we can still lose sure. Am I and others a little nervous sure. But myself anyway try to stay positive until I see some REAL action

Mr. Pink
08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Ok, so every other team that has done the same thing the entire preseason is at an advantage because the Bills didn't? Oh wait they did! So with all these other teams "losing" in the preseason, do they get a magic switch too? If not I feel really bad for Green Bay, Detroit, Atlanta, the reigning champs, New England, and KC. So much promise... Snuffed preseason!

The Browns, Jaguars, Redskins and Bucs look like sure playoff spots!

KC has promise? You can lump KC in with that second group cuz none of them are making the playoffs.

How a team looks in preseason has absolutely ZERO correlation with how they're gonna play on Sundays when it matters.

The only thing that can happen in preseason to your established starters is bad...it's called injuries.

Extremebillsfan247
08-29-2012, 11:06 PM
This was not a crying fest thread. I just don't get the people that say "blah blah blah har har har, it's only preseason." It does matter for teams that blow. We are not in the golden age of the early 90's. Where all the veterans are pro-bowlers and do not need to practice. The reason being, wins and losses in the preseason do not count toward the record in the regular season. So in that sense, no, the preseason doesn't mean anything. But, that's common sense. 3 things matter in preseason, getting starters tuned up, finding depth, and staying healthy. There really isn't much more to the preseason than that. JMO

ServoBillieves
08-29-2012, 11:18 PM
KC has promise? You can lump KC in with that second group cuz none of them are making the playoffs.

How a team looks in preseason has absolutely ZERO correlation with how they're gonna play on Sundays when it matters.

The only thing that can happen in preseason to your established starters is bad...it's called injuries.

I must've misunderstood your stance, my bad. I think the only thing that matters in preseason is injuries. They're pure scrimmages, and if M or K Williams goes down, that's a problem. If Barnett, Johnson, Fitzy, Jackson, Spiller, Nelson, Wood, Levitre, Gilmore, Byrd, or Wilson goes down, then yes, that's a HUGE problem. There is very weak depth on this team... but until we play a regular season down after scouting the waiver wire it's the best depth we can get.

Also, I kind of went off the handle with KC. They have the roster names to think they can go the distance but I don't think they'll make it to the playoffs. Cassel needs to prove himself, it's good to see Charles, Hillis, and McCluster healthy as well. Bowe and Moeaki are both healthy, while Kevin Boss hasn't lost a step. Last piece to the puzzle, Berry is healthy.

kishoph
08-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Sure preseason matters, but how relevant is the outcome of the game or even how the team looks to how the season will turn out. I'm sure coaches have different objectives to what they want to get out of a PS game. Some coaches may value victories, be it for confidence or whatever, some could care less, for Marv Levy a preseason victory was meaningless (as far as I understand). Some coaches may use it to try out new schemes or try out players at new positions and of course to evaluate players. I say unless you know what the team was trying to accomplish you can't truly judge how a team will do once the games start to count. The win loss record is really meaningless in the preseason, in 2008 the Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason and went 0-16 in the regular season, they went 3-1 in the 09 preseason and 2-14 in the regular season. I think it was the 91 Bills that went 0-4 in the preseason then 13-3 with a trip to the Super Bowl. For me I do not let the preseason influence how I think the regular season will go, at all.

Coach Sal
08-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Brian Billick was just on ESPN Radio and explained it perfectly.

He said, "never over-react to what happens in preseason, but never completely dismiss what happens, either."

mikemac2001
08-30-2012, 06:13 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA what a drive people crying all month and that was a textbook drive and it still doesnt matter

BertSquirtgum
08-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Definitely ONE good drive.

gebobs
08-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Attack the post, not the poster.

mikemac2001
08-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Attack the post, not the poster.

but whats the fun in that

gebobs
08-30-2012, 11:28 PM
but whats the fun in that
Yeah it was real fun when Wagon Circler made a career of it at the Range.

gebobs
08-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Haven't seen the game yet. Did Mario play? Another game he was completely left off the stat sheet.

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Haven't seen the game yet. Did Mario play? Another game he was completely left off the stat sheet.

It was the opposite of last week. 1st team offense looked good, defense, not so much. K. Williams and Mark Anderson didn't dress though.

BertSquirtgum
09-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Pre-season doesn't matter :sarcasm:

Novacane
09-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Where are all the guys that kept saying that now?

gebobs
09-09-2012, 01:49 PM
They're all studying for their GED.

Mr. Pink
09-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Preseason doesn't matter.

As I said earlier in this thread about Rex Ryan not caring too much that his team looked HORRIBLE in pre-season, the real games come and yeah.

BertSquirtgum
09-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Preseason doesn't matter.

Riiiiiiiight.

MikeInRoch
09-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Did the Jets pre-season matter?

Novacane
09-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I'll answer that next week when they play a real NFL team

Historian
09-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Umm...well, yes it kind of does matter when:

Your QB has looked like ****.

Your star RB is coming off an injury.

You have no #2 Wide out.

Your team only had one decent drive in each game.

Your team went 0-4.

I honestly hope this game was a serious dose of reality for some of you.

BertSquirtgum
09-09-2012, 03:29 PM
should have just posted in my thread. there are some gems in there.

Historian
09-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Sorry Hurk.

Merged.