PDA

View Full Version : We are really going to keep Brad Smith? Really??

MikeInRoch
08-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I dunno - I'm not seeing the value in keeping him. He's stunk as a QB. He's never been a good WR. Obviously returning kicks isn't his strong suit. I wouldn't be shocked if Thigpen is #3 and Smith hits the street.

Tiburon1724
08-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Gailey has a man crush on Brad Smith for some reason even though he's completely worthless at all of these positions they claim he can play. He can't catch, can't run, can't throw.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Gailey has a man crush on Brad Smith for some reason even though he's completely worthless at all of these positions they claim he can play. He can't catch, can't run, can't throw.
One man filling three little-used positions, in a world where roster positions are a precious commodity, is a strong advantage. Guido Merkens made a career of it. Better to get very little use out of one guy at three positions then to spread it out among three at one position each.

ServoBillieves
08-30-2012, 07:08 PM
The league said guaranteed 3rd QB spot. Chan said "let's find a weapon."

Yasgur's Farm
08-30-2012, 07:20 PM
I could see Brad Smith Walking and Thigpen getting a reprieve. Salary savings is pretty good with that scenario as well.

Yasgur's Farm
08-30-2012, 07:22 PM
In fact... I could see both getting cut and we pick-up our 3rd QB from waivers.

YardRat
08-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Smith won't return with a 'groin injury'.

Call me a cynic, but I'm always skeptical (unless it's obvious) when guys get 'injured' in the last preseason game.

HAMMER
08-30-2012, 07:42 PM
In fact... I could see both getting cut and we pick-up our 3rd QB from waivers.

There is zero chance that happens, Bills need someone on the roster besides Fitz that knows the playbook.

BertSquirtgum
08-30-2012, 08:08 PM
I hope not, he is ****ing terrible.

PTI
08-30-2012, 09:16 PM
It is worthless to keep guys that are below average football players like Smith, he is not good at any position, and will never get better at any of them either, I would mush rather keep a younger with potential to get better.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2012, 09:18 PM
If you cut Brad Smith then you're keeping 3 other mediocre players instead.

It's that cut and dry.

Slim
08-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Brad Smith runs like his shoelaces are tied to his earlobes.

PTI
08-30-2012, 09:32 PM

It's that cut and dry.

If you really believe it means he is replaced by 3 mediocre players, that could be true, but do they have potential? If they do not then Nix just is not doing his job and should be fired yesterday.

more cowbell
08-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Brad Smith is the best Kick Returner in the NFL at taking the kick five yards deep in the Endzone and returning it to the 15 yard line. If you want to start at the 15...he's your guy!

PromoTheRobot
08-30-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Smith is a surprise cut. Thiggy played well tonight while TJax is obvious not ready.

PTR

Mr. Pink
08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
If you really believe it means he is replaced by 3 mediocre players, that could be true, but do they have potential? If they do not then Nix just is not doing his job and should be fired yesterday.

If you cut him, you need an emergency QB, an extra WR and a special teams gunner.

Who cares if your third QB has "potential" he's never playing. Who cares if your special teams gunner has "potential" they're replaced by all sorts of other mediocre guys. Who cares if your 5th or 6th WR has "potential" when those guys maybe catch 10 balls all season.

Every roster has filler players, even good teams.

If Smith is cut tomorrow, he'll have a job by Monday.

PTI
08-30-2012, 10:42 PM
If you cut him, you need an emergency QB, an extra WR and a special teams gunner.

Who cares if your third QB has "potential" he's never playing. Who cares if your special teams gunner has "potential" they're replaced by all sorts of other mediocre guys. Who cares if your 5th or 6th WR has "potential" when those guys maybe catch 10 balls all season.

Keep Potter and there will be a small percentage of kickoffs to cover. I want players with potential. I sure as heck wished we drafted a QB who was 3rd string and had potential.

Turf
08-30-2012, 10:49 PM
After tonight looks light Chan is apologetic to Thigpen, which I'm not. Why Smith is returning kickoffs to start with makes me question the coaching staff. After Smith's fumble and groin injury, and after Easley's KO return, I think Easley hangs in as the last WR and Smith, who I always wondered why he is on this team, is cut.
I just hope Jackson earns the #2, because Thigpen is horrible and a #4 at best. If I were thew Bills I would cut both Thigpen and Smith, hoping Thigpen can be resigned on the practice squad. WhoTF is going to sign him.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Keep Potter and there will be a small percentage of kickoffs to cover. I want players with potential. I sure as heck wished we drafted a QB who was 3rd string and had potential.

You also do realize if you release Smith it makes you have to cut 3 more players to roster Potter right?

You need to keep 3 guys that replace all of Smith's roles which means Smith and 2 other guys have to go. Then you need to cut someone else to roster Potter.

Punt coverage teams needs a gunner too.

Turf
08-30-2012, 10:54 PM
You also do realize if you release Smith it makes you have to cut 3 more players to roster Potter right?

You need to keep 3 guys that replace all of Smith's roles which means Smith and 2 other guys have to go. Then you need to cut someone else to roster Potter.

Punt coverage teams needs a gunner too.

My **** could replace Smith, What the hell has he done.

mikemac2001
08-30-2012, 11:04 PM
last year was a lock out year....so they couldnt implement what they wanted for smith they even said this....also why would they show off anything they have practiced in preseason...smith is a weapon and will be used as one this year, no point to showcase it in practice games.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2012, 11:08 PM
My dick could replace Smith, What the hell has he done.

Your **** could fill 3 different NFL positions/roles? Impressive.

gebobs
08-30-2012, 11:20 PM
You need to keep 3 guys that replace all of Smith's roles which means Smith and 2 other guys have to go.
Roles? What roles?

As a quarterback, he throws nothing but interceptions. The fumble notwithstanding, his days as a kick returner are well past him and the position is an anachonism of sorts anyways. When you're the sixth (or more likely seventh) on the depth chart with this receiving corps, you suck.

What roles?

BertSquirtgum
08-30-2012, 11:22 PM

I don't understand why you feel this guy is such a great asset. He is awful.

gebobs
08-30-2012, 11:27 PM
It really is amazing. It was a lousy acquisition from Day 1 and some people want it to work so bad they are blind to his quickly diminishing capabilities.

File this one under fail, Buddy. Learn from your mistakes. Stop listening to Gailey. Cut your losses.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Roles? What roles?

As a quarterback, he throws nothing but interceptions. The fumble notwithstanding, his days as a kick returner are well past him and the position is an anachonism of sorts anyways. When you're the sixth (or more likely seventh) on the depth chart with this receiving corps, you suck.

What roles?

It really is amazing. It was a lousy acquisition from Day 1 and some people want it to work so bad they are blind to his quickly diminishing capabilities.

File this one under fail, Buddy. Learn from your mistakes. Stop listening to Gailey. Cut your losses.

Since my answer fulfills all 3 of these posts, I'll multiquote...

It has nothing to do with Brad Smith being awesome. It has nothing to do with what Brad Smith brings to the table on any of the 3 roles. He's a mediocre/average player, rosters need those as fillers. Not everyone in the NFL is a star.

So by cutting him what do you accomplish exactly?

You cut him and then you have to roster a 3rd QB, a 6th WR and a ST player. Flexibility is what makes him an asset. Flexibility keeps him on the roster. Flexibility is why if he was cut tomorrow, he'd be signed somewhere by Monday.

So what is the wiser roster choice? Rostering 1 mediocre/average guy who fulfills all 3 of those roles or rostering 3 mediocre/average guys for all 3 of those roles?

Do you want to roster Pigpen, Ruvell Martin and Scott McKillop instead?

Syderick
08-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Keep Brad Smith as a back-up in case of injuries. As it seems the Bills lose many players to injuries every season. Like Funtimesyay makes a point, he fills 3 back-up spots, saving roster space.

gebobs
08-30-2012, 11:49 PM
You make room for a younger guy that has more potential.

Smith has zero potential. He doesn't improve the team one iota. He'll be washing dishes at O'Charley's by the time the Bills become playoff contenders again.

The Bills got suckered into the overinflated reputation of Smith based on a few good kickoff returns and not much else.

You say he fills three positions. How exactly? Mediocre. Yeah I agree with you there. At best. At worst, he's a liability.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep Brad Smith as a back-up in case of injuries. As it seems the Bills lose many players to injuries every season. Like Funtimesyay makes a point, he fills 3 back-up spots, saving roster space.
I'll ask you now. What positions is he a good back up for?

Mouldsie
08-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Even when B-rad was with the Jets I thought any good play he made was a fluke. Hated the signing. I've come to terms with the fact he is probably staying but would be happy to be wrong, though at this point it's not likely we will find a stud replacement so idk how much it matters.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2012, 12:01 AM
You make room for a younger guy that has more potential.

Smith has zero potential. He doesn't improve the team one iota. He'll be washing dishes at O'Charley's by the time the Bills become playoff contenders again.

The Bills got suckered into the overinflated reputation of Smith based on a few good kickoff returns and not much else.

You say he fills three positions. How exactly? Mediocre. Yeah I agree with you there. At best. At worst, he's a liability.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll ask you now. What positions is he a good back up for?

Who are you rostering instead to fill the roles he fills? You'll need to roster a 3rd QB, a 6th WR and a ST player...granted you can roster a WR that can make plays on ST too. So maybe you're only stuck rostering 2 guys to fill his shoes.

If you want to go the 2 guys approach, would you rather be rostering Pigpen and Ruvell Martin over him?

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2012, 12:48 AM

We never have to watch him run out of the back of the end zone and only get to the ten yard line again. That alone is worth getting rid of the bum.

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2012, 01:02 AM
If we keep Brad Smith over Namaan Roosevelt then Buddy is ******edly stubborn. I think he won't cut just because he won't admit his mistake in signing him to begin with.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2012, 02:14 AM
If we keep Brad Smith over Namaan Roosevelt then Buddy is ******edly stubborn. I think he won't cut just because he won't admit his mistake in signing him to begin with.

Namaan might not make the team regardless of Brad Smith.

You're likely keeping 5 WRs. Johnson, Jones, Nelson, Graham and ???

Your choices are Hagan, Martin, Easley, Aiken, Roosevelt.

Even if you rostered 6 WRs under this scenario Namaan might not make it. Right now Namaan is behind the 4 guys I mentioned and Hagan and Martin.

kishoph
08-31-2012, 02:51 AM

It's that cut and dry.

The only player you'll need to replace him is the 3rd QB, which right now would be T. Jackson, Spiller can fill in at receiver and is probably a much better option there than Smith. You also have F. Jackson and Spiller that are capable of running the Wildcat (Smith threw 1 pass last year and it was picked off) and Gailey has tried both of them out there. As far as Special Teams, Smith has sucked returning the ball and there are a number of players that can fill the gunner role as well as Smith. I think the number of times that Gailey had Smith returning kicks in the preseason and seeing Spiller in the Wildcat (even though it was only 1 time) may be the writing on the wall that Smith's time in Buffalo is over, at least I would hope so. It's not so hard to replace someone that can't pass, catch or run.

GingerP
08-31-2012, 09:49 AM
FTY has a good point. I agree his versatility is why they keep him around.

It isn't his versatility on the 53-man roster, it is his versatility and what it means to the 46 you keep active on game day. He plays on ST, backs up at WR and as emergency QB.

Players 47-53 are kept around for their "potential" and ability to develop into a player who can be active on game day. Smith allows them to maximize their game-day roster, which is why they value him.

That said, he is overpaid. $2.25M is a lot for a backup, even if it is at multiple positions (plus the $1M roster bonus they already paid him). However, his versatility does make it easier for Gailey on game day, since he covers so many positions.

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2012, 12:03 PM
So many of you keep saying he covers so many positions. Big ****ing deal, he sucks as every one of them.

Mouldsie
08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
I feel like Easley should have taken Brad Smiths KR/WR job after last night.

Freddie can handle the wildcat :)

DraftBoy
08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Your **** could fill 3 different NFL positions/roles? Impressive.

That's what she said.

gebobs
09-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Who are you rostering instead to fill the roles he fills? You'll need to roster a 3rd QB, a 6th WR and a ST player...granted you can roster a WR that can make plays on ST too. So maybe you're only stuck rostering 2 guys to fill his shoes.

If you want to go the 2 guys approach, would you rather be rostering Pigpen and Ruvell Martin over him?
How does he fill these roles?

As a QB, he is never going in other than as a wildcatter with NO intention to pass. Any running back can fill that rather limited role as well and better. FJax can throw. I bet Spiller can throw better than Smith.

Special teams? What? He's no Steve Tasker. He's there for one thing and he doesn't do that very well anymore...and I'm being nice. He flat out sucks.

Wideout...he's only our sixth wideout if the Bills decide to let go of players with more talent and more potential i.e. anyone with a pulse.

X-Era
09-05-2012, 07:08 PM
I dunno - I'm not seeing the value in keeping him. He's stunk as a QB. He's never been a good WR. Obviously returning kicks isn't his strong suit. I wouldn't be shocked if Thigpen is #3 and Smith hits the street.I agree. I'm not sure what he does... WR? No, not really. KR/PR? No, not really. QB? No, not really that either.

stuckincincy
09-06-2012, 08:30 AM
I would have involved him in a bunch of "easy-to-look-good plays", so to speak, during the preseason. In the hope that some other team would bite and swallow some of his contract.

gebobs
09-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I would have involved him in a bunch of "easy-to-look-good plays", so to speak, during the preseason. In the hope that some other team would bite and swallow some of his contract.LOL...you mean like the Jets did to the Bills? Genius!

BertSquirtgum
09-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Smith was a free agent. Bills didn't swallow anything from the Jesters.

stuckincincy
09-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Read more carefully. Smith has a contract with the Bills. What I advocated was that he be showcased during the preseason, hoping that some (dumb) club would trade for him, relieving BUF of some or all of his contract.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Read more carefully. Smith has a contract with the Bills. What I advocated was that he be showcased during the preseason, hoping that some (dumb) club would trade for him, relieving BUF of some or all of his contract.

either that, or at the very least he would have gotten some much-needed practice.

I just don't see how the Bills can justify keeping Smith and two kickers with the WR and DT situation.

MikeInRoch
09-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Maybe we are keeping Smith through the Jets game so that he won't go back there and give them intel.

stuckincincy
09-07-2012, 08:57 AM
either that, or at the very least he would have gotten some much-needed practice.

I just don't see how the Bills can justify keeping Smith and two kickers with the WR and DT situation.

I understand his appeal to BUF when they inked him - but it hasn't really worked out. Myself (it's easy to spend other folks' money), I'd cut him. Assuming Wanny is going to play some sort of flavor of Cover 2, I'd really like to see someone with some substance backing up the MLB spot.

DT? IMO, you can usually pick up a halfway decent one during the season if need arises.

WR - seems they are pinning high hopes on Graham.

TE - a thin spot. I would have liked to have seen them sign B'gals cut, Colin Cochart (DAL grabbed him). Good blocker...not a pass threat, caught 10 in his rookie season last year. I hear former Mizzou player Chase Coffman mentioned from time to time. CIN wasted a 3rd on him - phenomenal hands, fine speed, but couldn't block a hot dog wrapper wafting down from the stands. Somebody axed him a couple of weeks ago...CAR?

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Yeah I definitely understand why they got him initially- I liked the move at the time. But clearly, it hasn't worked out.

Bill Cody
09-07-2012, 09:43 AM
three words: Brad Smith stinks

Since my answer fulfills all 3 of these posts, I'll multiquote...

It has nothing to do with Brad Smith being awesome. It has nothing to do with what Brad Smith brings to the table on any of the 3 roles. He's a mediocre/average player, rosters need those as fillers. Not everyone in the NFL is a star.

You cut him and then you have to roster a 3rd QB, a 6th WR and a ST player. Flexibility is what makes him an asset. Flexibility keeps him on the roster. Flexibility is why if he was cut tomorrow, he'd be signed somewhere by Monday.

So what is the wiser roster choice? Rostering 1 mediocre/average guy who fulfills all 3 of those roles or rostering 3 mediocre/average guys for all 3 of those roles?

Do you want to roster Pigpen, Ruvell Martin and Scott McKillop instead?

better days
09-07-2012, 10:40 AM
I understand his appeal to BUF when they inked him - but it hasn't really worked out. Myself (it's easy to spend other folks' money), I'd cut him. Assuming Wanny is going to play some sort of flavor of Cover 2, I'd really like to see someone with some substance backing up the MLB spot.

DT? IMO, you can usually pick up a halfway decent one during the season if need arises.

WR - seems they are pinning high hopes on Graham.

TE - a thin spot. I would have liked to have seen them sign B'gals cut, Colin Cochart (DAL grabbed him). Good blocker...not a pass threat, caught 10 in his rookie season last year. I hear former Mizzou player Chase Coffman mentioned from time to time. CIN wasted a 3rd on him - phenomenal hands, fine speed, but couldn't block a hot dog wrapper wafting down from the stands. Somebody axed him a couple of weeks ago...CAR?

Before all the injuries last year, Smith played well, kept drives alive converting 3rd downs. He helped the team win games. I think you will see him used this year the same way with the same success he enjoyed last year before all the injuries.

BertSquirtgum
09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Brad Smith sucks.

gebobs
09-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Let's see...our quarterback sucked. No sign of Brad. Our kick returner can't catch the ball. No sign of smith. Our receivers can't hold onto the ball. No sign of Brad.

What is he there for? Is he Gailey's butt boy?