PDA

View Full Version : Tarvaris Jackson vs Tyler Thigpen: Tough decision for Gailey

Extremebillsfan247
08-31-2012, 06:41 AM
I don't see this team realistically keeping 4 QB's on the roster. After last nights game vs Lions, Gailey's decision of who to roll with between Tarvaris Jackson and Tyler Thigpen just got a lot tougher. Thigpen was his usual self, good at times, terrible in others. Jackson showed what limited prep time means to a QB and how bad things can get. 1 more preseason game may have helped, but today is roster cut down day. Who do the Bills roll with? What do you think? Do they find a way to keep both QB's? or is Thigpen done as a Buffalo Bill?

Dr. Lecter
08-31-2012, 06:58 AM
They will not cut Jackson. No way.

Jeff1220
08-31-2012, 07:13 AM
I think the decision is more about keeping Thigpen or B.Smith. Thigpen looked better last night than he has in over a year (not saying much) but Smith has his usefulness outside of QB - these are the things Gailey will have to weigh into the decision.

BillsOwnAll
08-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Do you really think they would trade a draft pick for someone then cut them 2 days laters cuase of a preseason game....? C'mon mannnnnnnnnnn!

Extremebillsfan247
08-31-2012, 07:32 AM
This thread isn't about cutting Tarvaris Jackson, it's about whether or not they keep Thigpen. My gut feeling is that Thigpen is done as a Bill. But, it's tough to know for sure with Gailey. He has a tendency to keep the guys on the roster that he likes regardless of their performance. Brad Smith is an example of that, there is no way they are cutting him. Thigpen has 2 problems with staying on this roster, his contract, and space. Both are working against him here even though losing him means letting go of a guy that knows our offensive scheme really well. It has been said that perhaps the Bills will cut him in an effort to renegotiate his contract. But, even if that were to occur, that would mean keeping 4 QB's which Gailey hasn't ruled out. But what roster spot would they be willing to give up in order to keep him? that's a problem all on it's own. It will be interesting at least to me, to see how this plays out. JMO

Night Train
08-31-2012, 07:32 AM
It come down to Thigpen vs. Brad Smith

Smith didn't do himself any favors last night.

ServoBillieves
08-31-2012, 07:40 AM
It's officially not if but when we part ways with Thigpen.

better days
08-31-2012, 07:41 AM
So after all this time in Chans system, Thigpen looked decent in a game against scrubs. He is a waste of a roster spot that is terrible against real NFL players. I would have more confidence in Smith to back up Fitz than Thigpen until Jackson learns the offense better.

k-oneputt
08-31-2012, 07:45 AM
If they didn't open up with the Jets I would cut Smith in a second but you know damn well if we cut him today he will be with the Jets tomorrow.
And no I'm not worried about his skill beating us. The game plan is the problem.

cookie G
08-31-2012, 07:49 AM
They might keep Thigpen for a few games, until Jackson learns the system better, but they already made their decision when they traded for Jackson.

Albany,n.y.
08-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Thigpen will be cut because they don't want his salary guaranteed for the season, but if Jackson doesn't have the offense down, Thigpen will be back in 2-3 weeks until they are more comfortable with Jackson in the offense. Nobody is picking up Thigpen for opening day & paying him a whole year's salary.

GingerP
08-31-2012, 09:42 AM
No way they keep Thigpen unless he takes a paycut. They are paying Jackson $2M this year, they aren't going to pay another QB $2.5M.

trapezeus
08-31-2012, 10:02 AM
if i was HC, i look at the following:

thigpen is $2.5MM on openning day. Liklihood of fitz being injured in game 1 is less than 50% based on his ability to stay in games. i'd roll the dice and hope that tavaris learns faster and faster and that his real need to have to go into action wouldn't be until week 3 or beyond. I'd also start prepping for a more run oriented attack against the jets to mitigate fitz' chance of getting hurt.

Thigpen isn't going ot be picked up by another team. We all know this. if fitz is hurt in game 1, thigpen or jackson wouldn't hvae won you that game. so you can go back and get thigpen for cheaper for week 2 as either the starter or as the backup to jackson if fitz injury is season ending.

Raptor
08-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Zero chance they cut Jackson

This is between Thigpen and B.Smith

DraftBoy
08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
I think they keep all three for the moment. I know everybody wants to keep Potter, but I'd sacrifice him to ensure that we at least have a backup QB who knows the whole playbook. And as much as I would love to see Smith cuts that's not happening.

better days
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
I think they keep all three for the moment. I know everybody wants to keep Potter, but I'd sacrifice him to ensure that we at least have a backup QB who knows the whole playbook. And as much as I would love to see Smith cuts that's not happening.

As Albany said, it Thigpen is on the roster opening day, his contract is guaranteed. I don't see that happening. I could see him being resigned if Jackson does not show he can pick up this offense in a HURRY.

DraftBoy
08-31-2012, 10:43 AM
As Albany said, it Thigpen is on the roster opening day, his contract is guaranteed. I don't see that happening. I could see him being resigned if Jackson does not show he can pick up this offense in a HURRY.

Didn't know that...He's at what 2.5? Still wouldn't shock me. You have to have a backup QB who knows the playbook in the event of the worst happening.

better days
08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Didn't know that...He's at what 2.5? Still wouldn't shock me. You have to have a backup QB who knows the playbook in the event of the worst happening.

Well, on opening day, that QB could be Smith. Like I said, I would rather see him than Thigpen anyway.

trapezeus
08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
i just don't think you do for week 1. if you think that fitz won't get hurt or is unlikely to get hurt in the first game, these 10 days here plus another 7 should really be enough for a veteran to get the basics.

as we knew from billy joe hobert, most backups don't have a shot in hell when they come in cold in a game to win. remember frank reich's times in for kelly for the game. he was terrible, but one week of regular practice and he was good to go.

DraftBoy
08-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Well, on opening day, that QB could be Smith. Like I said, I would rather see him than Thigpen anyway.

I said QB, not gimmick WR.

- - - Updated - - -

i just don't think you do for week 1. if you think that fitz won't get hurt or is unlikely to get hurt in the first game, these 10 days here plus another 7 should really be enough for a veteran to get the basics.

as we knew from billy joe hobert, most backups don't have a shot in hell when they come in cold in a game to win. remember frank reich's times in for kelly for the game. he was terrible, but one week of regular practice and he was good to go.

Very well could be, Im just saying its something that would be a concern of mine entering the season.

better days
08-31-2012, 10:57 AM
I said QB, not gimmick WR.

- - - Updated - - -

Very well could be, Im just saying its something that would be a concern of mine entering the season.

Well, Smith does know the playbook & is just as capable to throw a pick six as Thigpen is.

DraftBoy
08-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Well, Smith does know the playbook & is just as capable to throw a pick six as Thigpen is.

Well that's a fair point.

PromoTheRobot
08-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Do the Bills keep Brad Smith?

PTR

Johnny Bugmenot
08-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah, Thigpen looked great against the scrubs.

And he still lost, like he did in Kansas City. That's the problem. He can look good on paper but he never pulls out the wins. He's the anti-Tebow.

X-Era
08-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Jackson is in, either Thigpen or Smith is out.

You don't trade for a guy, give him one day to learn the offense, and then cut him because he didn't show you he's ready to be the backup yet.

Personally, I'd think hard about cutting both Thigpen and Smith and bringing in a developmental 3rd string QB.

X-Era
08-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Well that's a fair point.Smith is not a legit QB, WR, PR, or KR IMO. He's not good enough at any of those spots.

Ed
08-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Someone posted on another board that it looks like Thigpen is going to make the team.

Albany,n.y.
08-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Someone posted on another board that it looks like Thigpen is going to make the team.
I'm shocked, but that's what Tim Graham tweeted.

Ed
08-31-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm shocked, but that's what Tim Graham tweeted.
I'm not shocked, but I'm pretty disappointed. Seems like a total waste.