PDA

View Full Version : My First Thread

rob311370
09-02-2012, 06:19 AM
This is my first post and I am going to apologize in advanced for I will most likely skip around and probably miss my point altogether. I am currently in the US Military and far from home. I no longer live in the Buffalo area due to my serivce obligation, but I keep it near and dear to my heart. I always said that I would not post comments on these boards but after seeing some others I could not take it anymore. I am rather young and have not lived through the "Pre Kelly Era" but I have endured alot of the losing as everyone else in the past decade. Well enough of an introduction and more to my point.

For years now I have read postings on here and serveral other sites and have been dumbfounded at times and impressed at other times. I find it hard to believe that many people with such negative outlooks and comments towards the Bills even watch or listen to the games. From someone who will have the ability to look at stat lines as the way to follow the season, be thankful you have the chance to do so. The more time passes and I am away I lean heavily on the Bills updates to keep in good spirits. I love watching the Bills for the simple fact of the game. I am a Buffalo native as I said earlier and no matter who is the quarterback, head coach, GM, etc, I have hope that the team will win. I just can't seem to grasp why so many people are so negative. I am not saying everything should be candy coated and creme filled but people, it could be worse. Look at the browns, enough said... :).

This year is no different. I see posts about "cut Brad Smith" or "We are doomed." Why? Why are we doomed? Why cut Brad Smith. I read the posts and can't understand some of the comments. My 10 year old daughter understands football better than some of the individuals who post they absurd comments. Brad Smith sucks, how so? Stating a one liner about your outlook on one player is fine and dandy, but please elaborate. Brad Smith is an insurance policy. He gives the ability to slide into different offensive positions and have the defense preparing for several looks. He also is rather productive contrary to some peoples thoughts. He converted almost everyone of his short yardage wild-cat runs last year. I believe he had two that he did not convert. How is that alone not productive? Because he doesn't constantly break out 60-70 yard runs that just isnt enough? No different than everyone saying how bad Fitzpatrick is. Is he irratic at times, of course. What would have been our record last year without him? Who would we have went after in free agency to take his job? Who could we have drafted that would have been a lock to take his job? He is the best person to run GAILEYs system and be productive.

I have read posts saying draft this guy and that guy and oh woe is me I wanted they to draft this QB. Well I hate to be the one to break the bad news but, many of the individuals that are upset about draft picks don't full grasp some of the concepts. First off, you can't just be Captain Hindsight and say "Oh we should have drafted Russell Wilson" or "Why didn't we draft this guy." Players are drafted based YOUR need, YOUR draft position and YOUR scheme.

Well enough ranting and raving about stupid posts from me. Had to get it off my chest though. Finally I will give my analysis of the season. 10-6. That is a realisitic record based off our scheduling and our team. We have a QB that has the ability to make quick reads, gets the ball to his receivers and makes plays with his feet. Our RB situation is definitely a strong spot, needs no explanation. Our Offensive Line is very capable of keeping Fitz on his feet and opeing running lanes. I don't know if I would say it is a great OL but it is very capable in doing its job. Our WR corps I believe is underrated. No one besides Stevie is going to put up bigs numbers, Stevie is Fitz's outlet, his comfort. We finally have a legitimate deep threat and that alone will help out the underneath throws.

Our Defense is getting tons of "hype" with not playing a single snap. It is good and bad I think. The defensive line will be vastly improved with the FA signing and having Kyle Williams back. Our LB corps is average. I think the one suprise will be Sheppard. I really believe he will have an outstanding season. He, much like other players, has had to switch out of his comfort zone. Give him time and he will prosper. The DL will help hide mistakes at the LB and DB level. The DB's are improved as well. The safeties are solid. Not outstanding, but SOLID. Our CB couldn't be worse than last year. As I stated earlier, the DL will hide mistakes made and allow them to gel and learn from mistakes without it being a 65 yard touchdown pass.

All in all none of this is anything new. I can honestly tell my wife that I did it. I posted! Pretty sre she will be proud of m. I am probably as exicted as I have been with any season. It comes so slow then is over so fast. Prediction for Opening Day: New York Jets-13, Buffalo 27. Heard it here first. I wish everyone the best and GO BILLS!

SquishDaFish
09-02-2012, 06:23 AM
Welcome and thanx for posting

stuckincincy
09-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Welcome aboard, soldier.

rob311370
09-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Thanks, I pretty much just rambled on. It was nice to finally say something instead of just shaking my head or laughing.

mead107
09-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks for your service.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Thank you for your thread, and your service to our country.

rob311370
09-02-2012, 07:41 AM
I assure you I need no thanks for my job. When I was referencing what I do, I was trying to make the point for individuals who complain of small things that "it could be worse."

YardRat
09-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Welcome :beers:

Figster
09-02-2012, 07:59 AM
welcome to the board and thanks for your services

Since you brought up Brad Smith I would like to respond. I can't speak for everyone, but myself personally, I just don't think Brads Smith that good at anything he does, and especially behind center.

Thanks again, God Bless and stay safe.

rob311370
09-02-2012, 01:27 PM
I would say he is good, NOT GREAT. I think everyone expected him to be great. He has never been that. But true to Chan Gailey liking the individuals that can be very verstile, he fits the "bill." He will be exactly what he has been, a solid special teams player, a decent wide receiver. The real question is, WHO would everyone like to take his roster spot. If someone can contribute week in, week out more so than him, I would be all for his release.

YardRat
09-02-2012, 01:46 PM
He's an adequate WR. Good returner for the Jets, but that's been somewhat negated by the rule change. His real value will be in how and how often he is used in the wildcat.

Skooby
09-02-2012, 01:51 PM
I like this new guy.

chernobylwraiths
09-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Good luck in the service and thank you.

There IS a lot of negativity, but there is also some positive. Realize that many here are much older than you and have seen the good/great years and so desperately want to see a return to those years. The years of bad sort of wears you down.

SabreEleven
09-02-2012, 02:40 PM
You are in the military? You must be Communist.

CoolBreeze
09-02-2012, 03:51 PM
First off, Thanks for your service. The complaining here is mind numbing. It's quite sad actually. Many have virtually no experience even playing the game, yet they know everything. The most experience they have is in the virtual world. It's sad, I live on rt 20A, 60 miles from the stadium, and I will not go, because I don't want to be around the same people in person. I'd love to go, but I got tired of the same a****** spilling beer on my kid or me, with no apologies. [QUOTE=rob311370;3673140]I assure you I need no thanks for my job. When I was referencing what I do, I was trying to make the point for individuals who complain of small things that "it could be worse."[/QUOTE

Mr. Miyagi
09-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks, I pretty much just rambled on. It was nice to finally say something instead of just shaking my head or laughing.
Welcome to BZ rob, and thanks for posting finally.

Rule #1 though, keep your posts nice and short or you'll lose a lot of us ADD peop...oh look shiny object!

Skooby
09-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Welcome to BZ rob, and thanks for posting finally.

Rule #1 though, keep your posts nice and short or you'll lose a lot of us ADD peop...oh look shiny object!

Squirrel (UP!).

TigerJ
09-02-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm an old guy who never served in the military. Sometimes I regret that I made the choice not to, though I'm not certain the military would have even taken me (bad knees in my youth). I'm grateful for those who do make that sacrifice and take the risk of having to make the ultimate sacrifice. Anyway, welcome, and don't let the negative posters get to you. Many of those who are negative are still nice guys.

Mr. Pink
09-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your service in the military.

It's hard to keep a candy coated approach to things that deal with this team based on prior years and unfortunately for the guys in charge it goes to before them as well. Even though, in my opinion, they haven't been very good either.

It's pretty easy to see that everyone here is a fan of the team, outside of the fish fans, or else we wouldn't post here. Viewpoints on the team are not right or wrong per se' You can have a negative outlook on the team or a positive outlook on the team and still be a fan of the team.

Brad Smith ain't nothing special, I think I've made that clear, but just as clear is the reason he's here is because of his position flexibility. You have one average player taking the role of what would be at least two average players. All teams have filler guys that are easily replaced, difference with Brad Smith is he fills at least 2 spots.