Other than the obvious upgrade at DE....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Other than the obvious upgrade at DE....

...How much did the team actually improve it's level of talent from the end of the 2011 season to the beginning of 2012?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Other than the obvious upgrade at DE....

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    ...How much did the team actually improve it's level of talent from the end of the 2011 season to the beginning of 2012?
    Well, they drafted a LT that will start from day 1. A CB that will start from day 1 & may be the best CB on the team. Added a WR with SPEED. In addition I think some guys like Moats are better players today than when the season ended. I would say overall a pretty good upgrade for one off season.

Comment

• GingerP
      • Aug 2012

I think in general they will be overall better on defense. The improved DL play will help defend the run game and should lead to more turnovers.

I worry about the offense, though. Teams are going to challenge the Bills to get the ball downfield, making them control the ball and play efficient. The team knew they needed an upgrade at WR, as evidenced by the attempt to sign Meachem, but where is that upgrade? Unless Donald Jones makes a big jump the Bills lack explosive weapons in the passing game. Defenses are going to bring up a S to stop the run and flood the short zones with defenders, can the Bills make them pay?
      Last edited by GingerP; 09-02-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• buffalobillsfan95
        • Jan 2010

• there's more depth at offensive tackle
        • upgrade at cb (it's hard to be worse then last year)
        •adding another safety that's looking capable
        •possible back up qb with t.jax, that's if he learns the play book quick enough to cut pigpen soon
        •more weapons with Dickerson and b smith. I only say smith because we didn't use him correctly last year. Aka more plays then 3rd and 2 situations.
        •special teams looks a lot better already, potter making them have to go 80 and good returners
        • and most importantly, we actually have confidants and 100% expect to be good enough at least for a wildcard
        “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

From the END of last season? The return of Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, and Kyle Williams along with a few others from IR might help a little?
          Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Just to play devil's advocate...

Originally posted by buffalobillsfan95 View Post
            • there's more depth at offensive tackle
            Is there? Glenn could crash and burn...he's going to see things this Sunday that he's never seen before, early and often. How will that affect the outcome of the game?

• upgrade at cb (it's hard to be worse then last year)
            I think Gilmore is going to be a stud, but he is still a rookie. How costly will his growing pains be early in the season? Brooks is hurt, McGee hobbled and on eggshells. We may be facing the Jets with 4 CB's...Gilmore, Williams, McKelvin and Rogers. (FWIW, Gilmore and especially Brooks are my favorite draft picks).

•adding another safety that's looking capable
            Is Howell a better back-up than Scott at safety, and how much is he really going to see the field anyway? Hell, he might be one of the inactives.

•possible back up qb with t.jax, that's if he learns the play book quick enough to cut pigpen soon
            Possible. That's a big 'if'. Pragmatically speaking, we're starting this season with the status quo from last year---starter Fitz, back-up Thigs.

•more weapons with Dickerson and b smith. I only say smith because we didn't use him correctly last year. Aka more plays then 3rd and 2 situations.
            Will either see the field enough to have a positive impact against the Jets?

•special teams looks a lot better already, potter making them have to go 80 and good returners
            Granted. From the reverse angle, zero returns = zero turnovers on returns.

• and most importantly, we actually have confidants and 100% expect to be good enough at least for a wildcard
            Confidence is a huge factor, but if they struggle against the Jets that can be eliminated quickly and effectively.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
              • Jan 2010

Players they have are more suited for 4-3 so switching D is an improvement. Having a healthy kyle Williams and a second year dareus. Along with what others said

Comment

• buffalobillsfan95
                • Jan 2010

Just to play devil's advocate...

Is there? Glenn could crash and burn...he's going to see things this Sunday that he's never seen before, early and often. How will that affect the outcome of the game?

I think Gilmore is going to be a stud, but he is still a rookie. How costly will his growing pains be early in the season? Brooks is hurt, McGee hobbled and on eggshells. We may be facing the Jets with 4 CB's...Gilmore, Williams, McKelvin and Rogers. (FWIW, Gilmore and especially Brooks are my favorite draft picks).

Is Howell a better back-up than Scott at safety, and how much is he really going to see the field anyway? Hell, he might be one of the inactives.

Possible. That's a big 'if'. Pragmatically speaking, we're starting this season with the status quo from last year---starter Fitz, back-up Thigs.

Will either see the field enough to have a positive impact against the Jets?

Granted. From the reverse angle, zero returns = zero turnovers on returns.

Confidence is a huge factor, but if they struggle against the Jets that can be eliminated quickly and effectively.

Well all your disagreements are also what ifs. We don't actually know our real weakness and strong points until we start playing real games.

What if Glenn becomes a elite OT? What if Gilmore, Williams, mckelvin, and Rogers play great and we have the best pass defense? What if we only needed a good back up safety? What if t.jax becomes great? What if Dickerson and smith are vital parts to success to a great season?

As long as we seriously attempt to upgrade our talent every year, which we have. Then only time will tell if it was a correct upgrade. They believe they have there back up in t.jax, they believe there cb are good enough.

It all goes back to what if. This could be a 2-14 season but also a 13-3. We made the nessicary changes to put a better team out but only real games will reveal the truth, what if my aunt had ball? Would she be my uncle?

Im tired of what if, and ready for the season to start haha
                “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                  Well, they drafted a LT that will start from day 1. A CB that will start from day 1 & may be the best CB on the team. Added a WR with SPEED. In addition I think some guys like Moats are better players today than when the season ended. I would say overall a pretty good upgrade for one off season.
                  That doesn't mean they are improvements. We need to stop operating under the assumption that rookies are improvements simply because they were drafted high and are starting.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    That doesn't mean they are improvements. We need to stop operating under the assumption that rookies are improvements simply because they were drafted high and are starting.
                    Explain to me why someone the Bills have scouted, drafted & chose to start should not be assumed to be an improvment over what they replaced.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Explain to me why someone the Bills have scouted, drafted & chose to start should not be assumed to be an improvment over what they replaced.
                      Mike Williams.

Busts and early struggles happen every year. Teams make bad picks and scouts get some wrong, and they hit home runs on others. Assuming a player will be good simply because he's a high pick is a recipe for disaster.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Mike Williams.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Mike Williams.

Busts and early struggles happen every year. Teams make bad picks and scouts get some wrong, and they hit home runs on others. Assuming a player will be good simply because he's a high pick is a recipe for disaster.
                          Well, Mike Williams was NOT scouted or Drafted by this front office. Name me a player the Bills have drafted & was named a starter under Nix that has proven to be a bust or a player let go by Nix that went on to play better for another team than the player the Bills replaced him with.

I have total faith in Nix & his scouts to get the best talent available on this team.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Well, Mike Williams was NOT scouted or Drafted by this front office. Name me a player the Bills have drafted & was named a starter under Nix that has proven to be a bust or a player let go by Nix that went on to play better for another team than the player the Bills replaced him with.

I have total faith in Nix & his scouts to get the best talent available on this team.
                            That's a ridiculous excuse and is not at all logical. We just dumped three rookies from this past draft class alone. Carrington, and Troup came while Nix was here.

I get it you want them to succeed, hell we all do, but to assume they are automatic upgrades is both a mistake and wrong.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Mike Williams.
                              Mike Williams.
                              Ooooh. Beat me to it by mere seconds.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                              X