X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ne.coli
    • Aug 2012

Ryan Tannehill doesn't know the NFL Divisions

As a rookie in the NFL, Ryan Tannehill still has a ton to learn. Between memorizing the plays, adjusting to lifestyle changes and dealing with an

Ryan Tannehill doesn’t know the NFL divisions or understand why Miami is in the AFC East
    By Steve DelVecchio August 29, 2012 -

As a rookie in the NFL, Ryan Tannehill still has a ton to learn. Between memorizing the plays, adjusting to lifestyle changes and dealing with an incredibly steeper level of competition, the transition from college to the pros is always a challenge for any rookie quarterback. However, most rookies likely already know what division every team is in. Understanding the geography of the NFL isn’t exactly essential, but it seems like something Tannehill struggles with. “I wasn’t a huge pro fan growing up; I wasn’t loyal to any one team, so I don’t really know the divisions, and even really conferences,” Tannehill during the fourth episode of HBO’s Hard Knocks. “I know most of the conferences but some of those, I really have no clue. And they don’t make sense. You have the AFC East, and we’re freaking in the bottom of the map, and the directions don’t make any sense where the teams actually are.”
    It’s true that a few things got out of whack when the NFL expanded from three divisions in each conference to four, but Miami being in the AFC East makes perfect sense. Could they be in the AFC South? Technically yes, but Florida is just as much east as it is south.
    Even backup quarterback Matt Moore was surprised by Tannehill’s lack of knowledge with the layout of the NFL. Moore proceeded to give the rookie a pop quiz on the divisions and he got the entire AFC East correct but listed the Giants in the NFC North. He also thought Kansas City was an NFC team. Fortunately for Dolphins fans, memorizing divisions has nothing to do with on-field performance.

Remind me again what it is that Tannehill’s hot wife sees in him?
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Ryan Tannehill doesn't know the NFL Divisions

He'll know only pain this season after playing the Bills, it's hard to learn in pain.

Comment

• G Wolly
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ne.coli View Post
      Millions of dollars and a house in Miami?

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
        Will not tolerate vandalism.
        • Apr 2006

And we thought Vince Young was stupid...

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Who cares?

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
            Who cares?
            I 2nd. and 3rd. that.
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

Hey did you know Shawne Merriman was released? This is old news... But still hilarious.
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                • Jul 2002

This is a big deal for 1 reason. Tannehill said he really didn't follow the NFL. I've learned some things about what a player has to have to be a successful QB in the NFL. One thing that I have never seen is a successful QB who doesn't LOVE NFL football. In order to be an NFL QB, you have to have a love for the game and basically want to be an NFL QB more than anything else. It doesn't start when you sign a contract. It starts at a much earlier age. For guys like Jim Kelly, the Mannings etc, football has been their lives since they were kids. I guarantee these guys knew everything they could possibly cram into their heads about the NFL when they were kids. The watched a lot of games and thought -I'll be there someday. They did not, not pay attention to the NFL when they were in college, just because they weren't in the league yet.
                Any QB who doesn't love the game, more than just about anything else will never be anything beyond mediocre at best in the NFL. One of my cross outs for a QB is if the guy signed up for another sport 1st. Over the years there have been some pretty highly ranked QBs who 1st signed baseball contracts out of high school & after failing at baseball went back to football. Among them are Akili Smith, Josh Booty, Chad Hutchinson, & Drew Henson. I believe the main reason they failed in the NFL too was because they didn't love the game of football enough. I guess others would say that these guys didn't have what it takes to be a pro athlete & that's why they failed in 2 sports, but I prefer the love of the game angle.
                I just don't think Tannehill wants it badly enough and if a Bills QB came in as a #1 pick & said something like that, I'd be very afraid of the bust possibility.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ne.coli View Post
                  :

NFL 1st round $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

Eh, what are you gonna do?

Kid didn't grow up as a rabid NFL fan like most of us.

Given how geographically odd some locations of certain teams and their divisions, I understand his confusion.

Learning the piddling division ranks is probably low on his list of priorities since he's trying to split his free time between digesting Joe Philbin's playbook and having sex with his bombshell wife. Who's got time to learn NFL divisions in that situation. Lord knows I wouldn't.

My guess is that he's not going to be a very good quarterback (or at least not immediately) but I won't hold something trivial like this against him.

Hopefully he won't understand the importance of his division games when he plays the Bills and not give 100% effort.

That way we can roll to a tidy sweep of the hated Miami.

Unlike last year's two debacles.
                    Last edited by JoeMama; 09-03-2012, 11:19 PM.
                    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                      • Aug 2002

So his wife is going to divorce him because he doesn't know the NFL divisions? I'll bet my wife wishes I didn't know all the divisions in Sports.

Comment

Working...
                      X