PDA

View Full Version : Bradham Over Moats?

BuffaloWingEater
09-03-2012, 08:00 PM
How long till this happens?

After a poor showing against the Detroit Lions, starting strongside linebacker Arthur Moats had some of his repetitions cut in to on Monday. Fourth-round rookie linebacker Nigel Bradham got some time with the first unit in addition to Moats.

Gailey remarked how impressive an athlete Bradham has proven to be throughout OTAs, training camp and the preseason. Taking first team reps leads to an obvious line of questioning. Might Bradham be angling for the starting job?

"There's a chance he'll play [Sunday]," Gailey said. "I don't like to use the term 'taking over.' We're going to see who plays the best and deal with that as the season goes on. Right now, Arthur knows what to do, Nigel is learning what to do."

The coach did admit Bradham was making waves and pushing Moats.

"Oh yeah, he can. He is. Today he's pushing."

The latter had previously taken the starting job from veteran Kirk Morrison in training camp, while Morrison has since moved over to serve as the team's backup middle linebacker.

The Bills have Tuesday off, and resume practice on Wednesday as they prepare for the New York Jets.

http://wgr550.com/Trio-returns-to-Bills-practice--Bradham-getting-re/14142776

JoeMama
09-03-2012, 08:18 PM
I think the world of Nigel Bradham.

Given his speed, I figured he's be more of a will linebacker, but I'll take him on the field wherever he's needed.

Gailey's comments are a good indicator he's in line for the starting job at some point.

djjimkelly
09-03-2012, 08:21 PM
awesome moats is a solid player and to have someone as a backup close to his level or with a higher ceiling means we are moving in the right direction!!!!

Mr. Pink
09-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Don't see it happening.

Moats is another guy that has been disrespected and misused or underutilized since he's been here.

It seems to be a recurring theme around these parts.

Oaf
09-03-2012, 08:44 PM
First, how is Moats a "solid player"?

Second, what's wrong w/ Morrison?

Scumbag College
09-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I like Bradham but he has looked lost out there a few times during this preseason. This year, let him backup, maybe have him in there in a few different packages, and play special teams. It's not uncommon for NFL rookies to not grasp schemes and the speed of the game. Moats has looked as sharp as any of the Bills LBs this preseason and he earned a right to play. I'm fine with using Bradham to light a fire underneath Moats' ass in the press but I don't think Bradham is ready.

Skooby
09-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Play any LB with upside now to get experience, same old isn't going to change a thing.

tampabay25690
09-03-2012, 09:00 PM
First, how is Moats a "solid player"?

Second, what's wrong w/ Morrison?

Morrison is lucky he is on the team right now...
He is the backup ILB as of right now.
I think the future is Moats and Bradham at OLB tough...

Northern Stampede
09-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I think Moats is a decent LB.. He did miss a tackle that set the lions up for they're TD, and those are tackles that he HAS to make, but hopefully that was a learning experience for him and doesnt become an ongoing occurrance. As far as Bradham goes, I think lots of potential, but not ready yet.. But ya never know..

Beebe's Kid
09-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I am going to root for the best player to be on the field... I just want to win.

YardRat
09-04-2012, 06:02 AM
I think Moats is a decent LB.. He did miss a tackle that set the lions up for they're TD, and those are tackles that he HAS to make, but hopefully that was a learning experience for him and doesnt become an ongoing occurrance. As far as Bradham goes, I think lots of potential, but not ready yet.. But ya never know..

Our tackling has been less than impressive the entire preseason, and that needs to stop. The one criticism I have of Gilmore to this point is his penchant for diving at the legs without even attempting to wrap up.

stuckincincy
09-04-2012, 08:57 AM
IMO, the BUF staff is depending an awful lot on front four performance. They seem to want to play some flavor of Cover 2. Byrd and Wilson are among the better safety tandems, but I think that the middle zone pass defense will be a problem. As well as draws and quick off-tackle and sideline runs. Also, hitches.

Northern Stampede
09-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Our tackling has been less than impressive the entire preseason, and that needs to stop.

I completely agree!!

Jan Reimers
09-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Our tackling has been less than impressive forseveral years.

Fixed.

The last buffalo fan
09-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Fixed.

:spit: I was reading this thread and came back to it only because I saw your posted a comment, well it was not the kind of comment that I expected to read, but thank you for the laugh, Jan!! :up:

ParanoidAndroid
09-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Moats is still struggling to cover in space and isn't reliable against TE's. Scott will be and should be on the field more than these guys.

kingJofNYC
09-04-2012, 11:58 AM
IF Moats was bad during the Lions game with his limited reps, what was Bradham? Played three quarters of the game and honestly looked lost. Just goes to show how poor our LB situation is.

DraftBoy
09-04-2012, 12:04 PM
This LB core just continues to give me the warm and fuzzies!

ZAZusmc03
09-04-2012, 12:49 PM

If by warm and fuzzies, you mean, anxiety and nausea...then I'm right there with you.

DraftBoy
09-04-2012, 02:08 PM
If by warm and fuzzies, you mean, anxiety and nausea...then I'm right there with you.

That is what I meant.

Considering how many people here said how AWESOME Moats was and why he should easily be starting.

X-Era
09-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Exactly, I think they are trying to see what they have because they aren't settled with what they have seen thus far.

LB is one of our biggest needs going forward.

That said, I do hope Moats and Bradham develop into solid players.

cookie G
09-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I think the world of Nigel Bradham.

Given his speed, I figured he's be more of a will linebacker, but I'll take him on the field wherever he's needed.

Gailey's comments are a good indicator he's in line for the starting job at some point.

If he learns the defense, he's got a good chance to add a lot to it. He's fast enough to cover many RB's and some TE's in pass coverage, but he's not so small as to get run over in the run game.

Teams pass so much on 1st and 2nd downs now that finding a LB who can cover has become vital. Putting someone in on a "passing situation" is tough now, because every down IS a passing situation for many teams. Brady throws about 70% of his passes on 1st and 2nd down. You can't wait until 3rd down to put in your pass coverage package.

Whether he can pick up the defense remains to be seen, but he's got a skill set that a coach can work with.