PDA

View Full Version : Bills add WR Martin to 53, Brooks on IR

madness
09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Bills add Martin as 5th WR
(http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/09/bills-add-martin-as-5th-wr.html)by Blog Editor
By Mark Gaughan

The Buffalo Bills gave themselves a little more leeway on the roster at the wide receiver position today by adding Ruvell Martin back to the 53-man squad. Martin now gives the team five true wideouts. As expected, rookie cornerback Ron Brooks was placed on the injured reserve list. Brooks underwent surgery on his foot last week.
Brooks could return to the roster this season, under the terms of a new IR rule passed last week. Each team can bring back one player off IR during the season as long as he spends at least six weeks on IR. (Actually he is allowed to return to practice after six weeks and is allowed to be activated after eight weeks.)
Martin, 30, played 14 games for the Bills last season and was used mostly on special teams. Brooks would have been a prime candidate for the gunner (wide) position on punt coverage. Martin can do that job. He tied for second on the Bills last season in special teams tackles. A seventh-year veteran, Martin filled in at WR when injuries hit late in the year and caught seven passes last season.

DraftBoy
09-04-2012, 03:22 PM
:rofl:

No Hagan, No Roosevelt but we have MARTIN!

DBrown77
09-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Should have been Roosevelt!

stuckincincy
09-04-2012, 03:28 PM

30 years old, 7th season, 14 active games last season, 7 catches for 82 yards. My guess...he can throw a decent block...dunno. If so, that's not bad.

BertSquirtgum
09-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I just puked in my mouth. I'm with OP and don't know what the guys running this team are thinking.

madness
09-04-2012, 03:35 PM
He won't see the field except on ST. There's your answer.

k-oneputt
09-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Simply a special teams move. With Brooks out they needed him for st. He won't see the field as a wr.

stuckincincy
09-04-2012, 03:42 PM
I just puked in my mouth. I'm with OP and don't know what the guys running this team are thinking.

Enjoy swallowing your puke.

Martin's been on NFL rosters for 6 consecutive years, mostly active. Big WR. I'm sure he must be a ST asset, a team player that adds.

The King
09-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Once they cut Thigpen they'll bring back a WR.

kingJofNYC
09-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Still making a living off his special teams play.

Jan Reimers
09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
He's going to take Brooks' spot as a gunner on punt coverage.

YardRat
09-04-2012, 04:14 PM
:shoothead:

Beebe's Kid
09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
I ****ing hate this move. We don't have anybody else that can cover a ****ing punt? What about one of the other CBs? How about Chris White? Searcy? Bueller....Bueller...

After the Steelers PS game, Chan said the apparently errant throws of Fitzy were due to WRs being out of position...I have said this a million times, but we need some ****ing NFL receivers on this team...people who know how to help us win games. People who can run routes, get open, and catch the ****ing football. I was hoping that we would grab some WR who was cut, but we got Martin back.

This guy is like a bad penny...

YardRat
09-04-2012, 04:33 PM
If Brooks doesn't break his foot, we would have a WR in this slot that could actually catch a damn football. I don't give a damn about his supposed contributions to ST's, the guy is a waste of a roster spot. Even if he were 25% the teams player Tasker (or even Pike) were, I might be OK with it, but he isn't anywhere close.

stuckincincy
09-04-2012, 04:36 PM
If Brooks doesn't break his foot, we would have a WR in this slot that could actually catch a damn football. I don't give a damn about his supposed contributions to ST's, the guy is a waste of a roster spot. Even if he were 25% the teams player Tasker (or even Pike) were, I might be OK with it, but he isn't anywhere close.

0 and 16?

mrbojanglezs
09-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Simply a special teams move. With Brooks out they needed him for st. He won't see the field as a wr.

thats what they said last year

Night Train
09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Martin was brought back because he excels as a gunner on ST, replacing Brad Smith for now.

The Jokeman
09-04-2012, 06:24 PM

It's all about Special Teams! I don't mind it but think Roosevelt was the best overall option of whom we cut but I think Ruvell might be just holding a roster spot and maybe try and develop Easley special teams skills a little more before activating him in the middle of the season.

ServoBillieves
09-04-2012, 06:47 PM
If this team kept 2 kickers, one for kick offs and one for points... then why would they need a special teams ace? Punts? If you felt it necessary to keep a guy to make them start from the 20, I'm pretty sure Moorman can punt it in to the endzone... I'm going to assume he doesn't get dressed on Sunday's. If he does... God help us.

YardRat
09-04-2012, 06:50 PM
0 and 16?

If they do, I'm blaming Ruvell :D

Mr. Pink
09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
He's the 5th WR who will minimally see the field on offensive snaps, who cares who they kept?

Whoever it was would end up with <10 receptions on the year anyway.

His value is at special teams.

DraftBoy
09-04-2012, 09:32 PM
He's the 5th WR who will minimally see the field on offensive snaps, who cares who they kept?

Normally Id agree but since we led the league last year in 4 and 5 WR sets he'll see the field more than a normal 5th WR would.

madness
09-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Normally Id agree but since we led the league last year in 4 and 5 WR sets he'll see the field more than a normal 5th WR would.

CJ, Fred, & Brad will see the field at WR more than Martin will.

BertSquirtgum
09-05-2012, 12:10 AM

Wrong, his value is bagging groceries.

Night Train
09-05-2012, 04:48 AM
Chandler,SJ,Jones,Nelson,Fred J,CJ

There's 6 guys seeing the ball on passes from Fitz. 4 wide is CJ wide with Fred in the backfield.

Martin is an emergency WR, ala Brad Gimmick and strictly a ST gunner. He serves a role. Maybe in a month he's serving rolls at Panera bread but he's useful for now.

DraftBoy
09-05-2012, 05:54 AM
CJ, Fred, & Brad will see the field at WR more than Martin will.
That's assuming Smith can play. He didn't practice earlier this week, he's still unknown and even when healthy I don't have a great desire to him out there either.

madness
09-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Chandler,SJ,Jones,Nelson,Fred J,CJ

There's 6 guys seeing the ball on passes from Fitz. 4 wide is CJ wide with Fred in the backfield.

Martin is an emergency WR, ala Brad Gimmick and strictly a ST gunner. He serves a role. Maybe in a month he's serving rolls at Panera bread but he's useful for now.

Dickerson makes 7!

stuckincincy
09-05-2012, 09:10 AM
If they do, I'm blaming Ruvell :D

Every team needs a scapegoat. And with NFL salaries, it's an easy burden to bear. :anvil: