Nix vs. Claiborne, a preview to life with Gilmore this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Nix vs. Claiborne, a preview to life with Gilmore this year?

Teams pick on rookie CB's and for good reason. They leave them on an island and often 1 on 1 with proven WR's who know how to get open and make the tough catch. Chan talked to the likelihood that Gilmore will give up big plays. I like Gilmore. But when you start a rookie at a position where he often is on his own, we can get burned. I like Gimore and want him to succeed but teams are going to pick on him.

So, the question is how much will starting a rookie at CB cost us... or benefit us?

• MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Nix vs. Claiborne, a preview to life with Gilmore this year?

You're comparing apples & oranges for talent, Gilmore is a island unto himself.

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
      You're comparing apples & oranges for talent, Gilmore is a island unto himself.
      ?????

Both players are top 15 CB picks.

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

I agree X, Gilmore is going to get picked on often, and will get beat many times.

He will definitely cost us a lot of yards, but he will also make up for it with a couple of key INTs.

Just gotta take the good with the bad with rookie corners.
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• tampabay25690
          • Feb 2004

I disagree 150% on this....
          Aaron Williams will probably get picked on more.
          I think Gilmore is already the better CB.
          GO Gators!!!!!!
          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Everything coming out of training camp certainly suggested that Aaron Williams looked more like a rookie than did Stephon Gilmore. I certainly agree that both Claiborne and Gilmore were highly rated. There a couple things that make me like Gilmore better though. Gilmore is bigger, and Gilmore from all reports is a dedicated student of the game. Claiborne blew off the Wonderlic test at the combine. That test may or may not have value as a predictor of a CBs ability to learn a defense quickly, but I can't imagine Gilmore blowing it off. I just like his approach to the pros and the game of football a lot better. Maybe Claiborne is a bit more instinctive on the field, but I don't think he has a huge advantage in that area. I think Gilmore's got at least as much and probably more upside because of his personal makeup.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

theres no way around it, no matter how good they are and will end up being down the road, for now they are going to get fried some times. all you can do is hope they make enough nice plays to balance out and that their mistakes come at times when it doesnt cost the team. the improved pass rush should help a ton and will cover their inexperience somewhat, but its just a fact of life that the team has to live with their unavoidable mistakes

id venture a rough guess that the two young corners will cost the team one game compared to a couple of solid veteran starters. but overall the defense will be much stronger and probably win two or three games that last seasons squad would have cost us. we can live with that
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

If we can generate a pass rush with the front 4, there isn't really any reason for any of our guys to be on an "island".

Comment

• GingerP
                  • Aug 2012

Claiborne did a pretty good job overall yesterday. Nicks had 4 catches for 38 yards, so the rookie's coverage was a big part of the Dallas win. If your point is that is a sign of what is to come with Gilmore, the future is pretty bright.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Both corners are going to get this season, and both will succeed at times, and fail at others. The real question is, are we better off this season than we were last season with the corners we have right now?

Funny how certain situations give rise to completely different perceptions. For months we've been hearing the mantra 'a good pass rush helps out your corners', and yet last night we saw a team that took the approach that they needed to upgrade their corners in order to help improve their pass rush.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• buffalobillsfan95
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                      Both corners are going to get this season, and both will succeed at times, and fail at others. The real question is, are we better off this season than we were last season with the corners we have right now?

Funny how certain situations give rise to completely different perceptions. For months we've been hearing the mantra 'a good pass rush helps out your corners', and yet last night we saw a team that took the approach that they needed to upgrade their corners in order to help improve their pass rush.
                      I think most of there big plays was on scrambles by romo who had the 2nd most td passes out of the pocket last year.
                      “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                        If we can generate a pass rush with the front 4, there isn't really any reason for any of our guys to be on an "island".
                        So they can't be beaten on quick slants?

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I like Gilmore a lot, but as far as his tackling goes...not a fan.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                            Claiborne did a pretty good job overall yesterday. Nicks had 4 catches for 38 yards, so the rookie's coverage was a big part of the Dallas win. If your point is that is a sign of what is to come with Gilmore, the future is pretty bright.
                            Early on they picked on him often. He looked out of place a few times. Gailey said it best the other day; Gilmore will get beaten, he just needs to get over it quickly and get ready for the next play.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              I like Gilmore a lot, but as far as his tackling goes...not a fan.
                              I like him too. I think he may be a better athlete than football player right now. But, he has decent ability on the football field.

Comment

Working...
                              X