PDA

View Full Version : Nix vs. Claiborne, a preview to life with Gilmore this year?

X-Era
09-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Teams pick on rookie CB's and for good reason. They leave them on an island and often 1 on 1 with proven WR's who know how to get open and make the tough catch. Chan talked to the likelihood that Gilmore will give up big plays. I like Gilmore. But when you start a rookie at a position where he often is on his own, we can get burned. I like Gimore and want him to succeed but teams are going to pick on him.

So, the question is how much will starting a rookie at CB cost us... or benefit us?

Skooby
09-05-2012, 08:26 PM
You're comparing apples & oranges for talent, Gilmore is a island unto himself.

X-Era
09-05-2012, 08:30 PM
?????

Both players are top 15 CB picks.

Luisito23
09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
I agree X, Gilmore is going to get picked on often, and will get beat many times.

He will definitely cost us a lot of yards, but he will also make up for it with a couple of key INTs.

Just gotta take the good with the bad with rookie corners.

tampabay25690
09-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I disagree 150% on this....
Aaron Williams will probably get picked on more.
I think Gilmore is already the better CB.

TigerJ
09-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Everything coming out of training camp certainly suggested that Aaron Williams looked more like a rookie than did Stephon Gilmore. I certainly agree that both Claiborne and Gilmore were highly rated. There a couple things that make me like Gilmore better though. Gilmore is bigger, and Gilmore from all reports is a dedicated student of the game. Claiborne blew off the Wonderlic test at the combine. That test may or may not have value as a predictor of a CBs ability to learn a defense quickly, but I can't imagine Gilmore blowing it off. I just like his approach to the pros and the game of football a lot better. Maybe Claiborne is a bit more instinctive on the field, but I don't think he has a huge advantage in that area. I think Gilmore's got at least as much and probably more upside because of his personal makeup.

Meathead
09-05-2012, 11:12 PM
theres no way around it, no matter how good they are and will end up being down the road, for now they are going to get fried some times. all you can do is hope they make enough nice plays to balance out and that their mistakes come at times when it doesnt cost the team. the improved pass rush should help a ton and will cover their inexperience somewhat, but its just a fact of life that the team has to live with their unavoidable mistakes

id venture a rough guess that the two young corners will cost the team one game compared to a couple of solid veteran starters. but overall the defense will be much stronger and probably win two or three games that last seasons squad would have cost us. we can live with that

jamze132
09-06-2012, 04:28 AM
If we can generate a pass rush with the front 4, there isn't really any reason for any of our guys to be on an "island".

GingerP
09-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Claiborne did a pretty good job overall yesterday. Nicks had 4 catches for 38 yards, so the rookie's coverage was a big part of the Dallas win. If your point is that is a sign of what is to come with Gilmore, the future is pretty bright.

YardRat
09-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Both corners are going to get this season, and both will succeed at times, and fail at others. The real question is, are we better off this season than we were last season with the corners we have right now?

Funny how certain situations give rise to completely different perceptions. For months we've been hearing the mantra 'a good pass rush helps out your corners', and yet last night we saw a team that took the approach that they needed to upgrade their corners in order to help improve their pass rush.

buffalobillsfan95
09-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Both corners are going to get this season, and both will succeed at times, and fail at others. The real question is, are we better off this season than we were last season with the corners we have right now?

Funny how certain situations give rise to completely different perceptions. For months we've been hearing the mantra 'a good pass rush helps out your corners', and yet last night we saw a team that took the approach that they needed to upgrade their corners in order to help improve their pass rush.

I think most of there big plays was on scrambles by romo who had the 2nd most td passes out of the pocket last year.

X-Era
09-06-2012, 05:51 AM
If we can generate a pass rush with the front 4, there isn't really any reason for any of our guys to be on an "island".
So they can't be beaten on quick slants?

YardRat
09-06-2012, 05:52 AM
I like Gilmore a lot, but as far as his tackling goes...not a fan.

X-Era
09-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Claiborne did a pretty good job overall yesterday. Nicks had 4 catches for 38 yards, so the rookie's coverage was a big part of the Dallas win. If your point is that is a sign of what is to come with Gilmore, the future is pretty bright.Early on they picked on him often. He looked out of place a few times. Gailey said it best the other day; Gilmore will get beaten, he just needs to get over it quickly and get ready for the next play.

X-Era
09-06-2012, 05:54 AM
I like Gilmore a lot, but as far as his tackling goes...not a fan.I like him too. I think he may be a better athlete than football player right now. But, he has decent ability on the football field.

YardRat
09-06-2012, 06:01 AM
I think most of there big plays was on scrambles by romo who had the 2nd most td passes out of the pocket last year.

I was referring to Dallas' defense.

DraftBoy
09-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Claiborne is a better player than Gilmore. Gilmore is good but he's not on the same level.

DraftBoy
09-06-2012, 07:06 AM

Product of offensive adaptation. Did anybody else notice last night how similar Dallas's offense looked to our own? Lots of three step drops, lots of quick timing routes. How many times have we heard its our system is a reason that Fitz doesn't get sacked as much?

While I agree pass rush can make your CB's better, you still need CB's who can cover to take away the quick passes that counter act a good pass rush. Or for a better analogy, you need to be playing chess while your opponent is playing checkers.

Also this is why you're seeing more and more 5'11+ CB's in the NCAA, they have had the spread system and now are going to press coverage techs to try and slow it down. Those require bigger and stronger CB's like Amerson, Simon, and many others.

jamze132
09-06-2012, 07:12 AM
So they can't be beaten on quick slants?

Seriously?

We both know that every CB in the NFL has been and again will be "beat" on quick slants.

better days
09-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Product of offensive adaptation. Did anybody else notice last night how similar Dallas's offense looked to our own? Lots of three step drops, lots of quick timing routes. How many times have we heard its our system is a reason that Fitz doesn't get sacked as much?

While I agree pass rush can make your CB's better, you still need CB's who can cover to take away the quick passes that counter act a good pass rush. Or for a better analogy, you need to be playing chess while your opponent is playing checkers.

Also this is why you're seeing more and more 5'11+ CB's in the NCAA, they have had the spread system and now are going to press coverage techs to try and slow it down. Those require bigger and stronger CB's like Amerson, Simon, and many others.

Well, I prefer to play backgammon while our opponent is playing checkers. A little luck goes a long way.

DraftBoy
09-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Well, I prefer to play backgammon while our opponent is playing checkers. A little luck goes a long way.

I'd prefer skill to luck.

better days
09-06-2012, 08:24 AM
I'd prefer skill to luck.

Football like backgammon is a game that involves BOTH skill & luck. A football can take funny bounces.

THRILLHO
09-06-2012, 08:26 AM
A rookie getting "picked on" is all part of the growing process in the game. If he is as smart as we say, he will learn from his mistakes and when he gets burned, and improve on it. Take our lumps now, make him a better player sooner.

justasportsfan
09-06-2012, 09:04 AM
It will be feast or famine with Gilmore this year.

EDS
09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I was referring to Dallas' defense.

Well, Dallas already has the best passrusher in the NFL on their roster . . .

stuckincincy
09-06-2012, 10:27 AM
It will be feast or famine with Gilmore this year.

For sure. At times, he will look like a pile of bat**** bubbling in a frying pan.

DraftBoy
09-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Football like backgammon is a game that involves BOTH skill & luck. A football can take funny bounces.

And I'd always prefer skill. That only goes one way unlike luck.

OpIv37
09-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Do any of you remember 2004?

Terrence McGee was the weak link in an otherwise great D that was ranked #2 in the league. I think it was his rookie year, but it may have been his first year as a starter (I can't remember and I'm too busy- read:lazy- to look it up right now). He contributed as a returner but was toast on D.

It's the price you pay for starting a rookie. McGee turned out to be a good CB for us, so it was worth it in the long run, but it's a necessary evil. The guy is going to take his lumps and we're going to have to live with that.

Hopefully, the DL and the safeties can make his life a little easier.

better days
09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
And I'd always prefer skill. That only goes one way unlike luck.

It goes without saying you always want the most skilled players on the field as possible, however MANY times a less skilled team has won because of luck. Super Bowl 25 is the perfect example of that. The Bills without question had the most skilled players in that game, but the Giants won by 1 point because of wide right. BAD luck for the Bills, GOOD luck for the Giants.

Mouldsie
09-06-2012, 12:24 PM
What does Buddy Nix have to do with Claiborne?

Anyway Gilmore is a stud. The next Nnamdi Asomougha.

X-Era
09-09-2012, 01:38 PM
:whistle:

stuckincincy
09-09-2012, 01:41 PM
:whistle:

:bandwagon