PDA

View Full Version : Can Jets block Bills DE Mario Williams?

MidnightVoice
09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/47374/can-jets-block-bills-de-mario-williams

Can the Jets keep Williams off starting quarterback Mark Sanchez? Howard beat out former Jet Wayne Hunter for the starting job and could need a lot of assistance from his running backs and tight ends to block Williams on Sunday.

"We're expecting Austin to play well against someone who is very talented," Sanchez said this week. "A guy like Mario Williams, he’s a game-changing type player. It’s important to block him up and get rid of the football." ........

An interesting wrinkle is former Bills draft bust Aaron Maybin is simulating Mario Williams in practice for New York this week.

Maybin simulating Mario - you got to be kidding me!!!

Dujek
09-06-2012, 04:02 PM
No, they can't.

Sanchez is toast.

Ed
09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Maybe if they throw enough blockers at him they can, but that won't leave as many options for Sanchez.

MidnightVoice
09-06-2012, 04:14 PM
I like the idea of them spending all week learning to block Maybin, then being faced with the real thing :D

EDS
09-06-2012, 04:19 PM
For $100 million Mario better earn his keep and crunch Sanchez.

stuckincincy
09-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Dunno - will he line up at LDE or RDE? I think they will flip him every few series. NYJ runs pretty strong up the middle, and if McKnight suits up, he's decent with the outside run and snagging a pass.

I wonder if K. Wms will draw some PF penalties. Homer or not, he's on the chippy side of the street. I watched their #1 Q. Couples in their 1st ps game. I don't know how he played the last 3, but he looked good then - got into the CIN backfield most times, although got no stops.

ZAZusmc03
09-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Sure, put a bunch of extra guys on him, and watch how MD, KW, and MA rape sanchez's soul

YardRat
09-06-2012, 04:50 PM
They need to stop the run first, or rushing the passer will be irrelevant. That's how they can stop Mario Williams.

Skooby
09-06-2012, 05:56 PM
If they send multiple people to block Mario, Dareus / Kyle W. / Mark A will be crunching Sanchez. I don't care who crunches him, as long as he is running for his life all day.

better days
09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
They need to stop the run first, or rushing the passer will be irrelevant. That's how they can stop Mario Williams.

Best way to stop the run is to get a 21 point lead.

TigerJ
09-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I think Julius Peppers is about the only other guy in the NFL who can come close to simulating the pass rushing of Mario Williams, and fortunately he doesn't play for the Jets. The nice thing about having Mario Williams is that Buffalo has Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams playing next to him. Still, I'm not big on getting smug before the game is played. Just because something looks good on paper doesn't mean it's going to determine the outcome of the game.

DynaPaul
09-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Using Maybin as a simulation of Williams is like using Sanchez to simulate going against Peyton Manning.

Skooby
09-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Using Maybin as a simulation of Williams is like using Sanchez to simulate going against Peyton Manning.

P. Manning >2010.

Night Train
09-07-2012, 06:23 AM
I could see Sanchez taking 2 step drops and getting the ball out quickly, like Minny did to us in the pre-season. That or run a lot.

Hope Wanny has the D prepared for this.

Bulldog
09-07-2012, 07:22 AM
I think Julius Peppers is about the only other guy in the NFL who can come close to simulating the pass rushing of Mario Williams, and fortunately he doesn't play for the Jets. The nice thing about having Mario Williams is that Buffalo has Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams playing next to him. Still, I'm not big on getting smug before the game is played. Just because something looks good on paper doesn't mean it's going to determine the outcome of the game.

I don't know, I think that Demarcus Ware guy in Dallas is pretty good.

jimmight
09-07-2012, 07:39 AM
It's the New Jersey Jets

Buffatexas
09-07-2012, 11:07 AM
WGR said yesterday that Ryan had Maybin lining offsides to simulate Williams talents

TigerJ
09-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't know, I think that Demarcus Ware guy in Dallas is pretty good. I agree! Demarcus Ware, Jared Allen and a few others are great defensive ends. I could not even say that Mario Williams is the best defensive end in the NFL. He was the best one available in free agency this past offseason. That's it. I would guess he's at least in the top 5. I use the Julius Peppers comparison because of the comparable measurables. Those two guys have the most similar combination of size, strength, and speed in the NFL. Demarcus Ware may have a quicker first step than Mario Williams, but he's a lot lighter. It's going to be different grappling with a 295 lb defensive end versus grappling with a 260 lb defensive end. And of course, it's different grappling with a 295 lb defensive end versus a 230 lb Aaron Maybin.

MidnightVoice
09-07-2012, 12:48 PM
I still think he is better than Maybin :D