PDA

View Full Version : I seriously hope the team isn't buying into the hype the way the fans are.....

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Between the Bills' off-season additions and the Jets' injuries and distractions, it seems like too many people are starting to view a win as a foregone conclusion.

I don't like it.

The Jets are the team coming into this game with something to prove. Everyone thinks they're a mess and they want to show everyone they're not.

Meanwhile, the Bills have spent the last few months hearing everyone talk playoffs.

I don't know what the mentality of the team is, but if they aren't prepared, this has the makings of a "sleeper" game. The Bills need a fast start.

justasportsfan
09-07-2012, 01:18 PM
and the bills have nothing to prove?

Only reason why I like the bills is because the jets have a new system offensively and it will take time for them to gel especially with a questionable OL. Not exactly the best time to face a team with a DL like the bills.

don137
09-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I think the Bills, especially Fitzpatrick, have a lot to prove. While I believe the running game is the strong suit of the offense I feel the play of Fitzpatrick will determine if this team makes the playoffs. They did not exactly play much better than the Jets in the preseason. The Jets just got a lot more media coverage about how bad the offense played. No reason for the players think it is a cake walk.

justasportsfan
09-07-2012, 01:20 PM
No reason for the players think it is a cake walk.
Chan is 0-4 vs. the jets. I think he knows that.

PTI
09-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Sucks when your 60 million dollar QB who proved nothing still has a lot to prove.

mayotm
09-07-2012, 01:22 PM
The team's mantra all summer has been "we haven't proved a thing yet". I think the team realizes they aren't good enough to overlook anybody. I'm not worried about them not being mentally prepared. I'm worried because I don't think the Jets are as bad as they looked in the pre-season.

Philagape
09-07-2012, 01:24 PM
it seems like too many people are starting to view a win as a foregone conclusion

Just so your definition is clear, do you equate any prediction of victory with "a foregone conclusion"?

I predict the Bills to win, but if degree of confidence is measured, I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion.

better days
09-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Between the Bills' off-season additions and the Jets' injuries and distractions, it seems like too many people are starting to view a win as a foregone conclusion.

I don't like it.

The Jets are the team coming into this game with something to prove. Everyone thinks they're a mess and they want to show everyone they're not.

Meanwhile, the Bills have spent the last few months hearing everyone talk playoffs.

I don't know what the mentality of the team is, but if they aren't prepared, this has the makings of a "sleeper" game. The Bills need a fast start.

You don't like the fact that some Bills fans expect the Bills to win. I am SHOCKED.

Bills 21 Jets 10

SquishDaFish
09-07-2012, 01:38 PM
PTI STFU already. 60M for a QB really isnt that much. Hes getting paid like a middle of the pack QB in this league

nyballa561
09-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I agree with the OP. Yes Jets looked bad in the preseason and it was magnified x10000000, but so did the Bills. And I know the Bills are healthy now and have added good pieces, but I find it crazy that the large consensus is the Bills will win this game, especially on the road. The Bills are the hot trendy team, while the Jets are having mud thrown at them from every direction.

It will be a close game I think, but I dont believe there should be a clear consensus favorite to win.

The King
09-07-2012, 01:40 PM
after going 5-2 into a collapse they better not.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 01:40 PM
You don't like the fact that some Bills fans expect the Bills to win. I am SHOCKED.

Bills 21 Jets 10

It's not just Bills fans. Even a lot of the national media and people who usually **** on us are jumping on board.

Buffalogic
09-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Apparently only the jets have something to prove which will lead to their irreversable and uncompromising victory! With that out of the way lets focus on the chiefs!

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Just so your definition is clear, do you equate any prediction of victory with "a foregone conclusion"?

I predict the Bills to win, but if degree of confidence is measured, I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion.

Maybe not you specifically, but look around the board. A lot of "when we beat the Jets," "after we beat the Jets" kind of stuff around. Also, someone started a thread about which game was a guaranteed win, and many people picked this game.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently only the jets have something to prove which will lead to their irreversable and uncompromising victory! With that out of the way lets focus on the chiefs!

that's not at all what I said.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I agree with the OP. Yes Jets looked bad in the preseason and it was magnified x10000000, but so did the Bills. And I know the Bills are healthy now and have added good pieces, but I find it crazy that the large consensus is the Bills will win this game, especially on the road. The Bills are the hot trendy team, while the Jets are having mud thrown at them from every direction.

It will be a close game I think, but I dont believe there should be a clear consensus favorite to win.

Remember, if the Bills suck in preseason, "meh, it's just preseason."
If the Jets suck in preseason, "hahahahahaha Jets suck. They're terrible."

nyballa561
09-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Remember, if the Bills suck in preseason, "meh, it's just preseason."
If the Jets suck in preseason, "hahahahahaha Jets suck. They're terrible."

Right. The Jets had the high profile disastrous end to their season, and Of course the Jets are the bragadocious, big bad bully who got slapped in the face with reality, they have the high profile qb who had a meltdown last yr, the locker room feuds, sign Tebow and all his zombie followers etc. It was not pretty AT ALL. But the Bills didnt end their season on a high note either.

I just feel like the amusement that the public finds in the Jets failure, add that with the whole Rex and Tebow thing, a bad showing in the preseason, and the fact that they are always on ESPN and all the talk shows, seems to cloud people's judgement about this team. No they are not a great team at all, have big flaws on the offense, but I still don't believe they are a pushover, and unlike many Bills fans, Coach Gailey and that squad won't take them lightly because they are still a quality team that has beaten the Bills repeatedly the last couple of yrs.

And yes the Bills are a better team now, but curb your enthusiasm and let's watch a good game =)

justasportsfan
09-07-2012, 02:00 PM
It's not just Bills fans. Even a lot of the national media and people who usually **** on us are jumping on board.

well if you had to pick a win this sunday who would it be?

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 02:04 PM
well if you had to pick a win this sunday who would it be?

based on pure talent and the Jets' injuries, I'd say the Bills have the edge, but I also think the Jets have more to prove, plus they are at home in the first game of the year.

I'll stick with the Bills for now, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that there is going to be an upset.

The King
09-07-2012, 02:05 PM
The Jets are 4-0 against us in the Gailey era. If we win it's an upset, the Jets are the favorite IMO.

justasportsfan
09-07-2012, 02:06 PM
based on pure talent and the Jets' injuries, I'd say the Bills have the edge, but I also think the Jets have more to prove, plus they are at home in the first game of the year.

I'll stick with the Bills for now, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that there is going to be an upset.

exactly, so you too " are starting to view a win as a foregone conclusion." ?

Once again, Chan is 0-4 vs. Sexy Rexy. He too has something to prove. Fitz has something to prove as does Kyle, Dareus and Williams.

I am cautiously optimistic about this game but no way am predicting a 41-7 win just like our 1st game last year.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Fitz with something to prove scares me.

The King
09-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Op likes getting yelled at. That's what I've learned after 8 years on this site.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Op likes getting yelled at. That's what I've learned after 8 years on this site.

not exactly. I just don't have a problem going against the grain when the popular thinking stops making sense.

The King
09-07-2012, 02:14 PM
You're like a cow-lick... always against the grain, no matter how much gel I use you're still standing straight up as defiant as ever.

stuckincincy
09-07-2012, 02:15 PM

I don't like it.

I hope MW performs as advertised. Such a contract, such a bunch of guaranteed $. BUF had to go on the cheap to accommodate that pile paid to him.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 02:17 PM
I hope MW performs as advertised. Such a contract, such a bunch of guaranteed $. BUF had to go on the cheap to accommodate that pile paid to him.
had to go on the cheap? Cheaper than they already were going? I don't even know if that's possible.

justasportsfan
09-07-2012, 02:31 PM
not exactly. I just don't have a problem going against the grain when the popular thinking stops making sense.
but the popular (picking the bills) is not senseless to the point that even you pick the bills which makes it look like you're just *****ing to *****.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 02:34 PM
but the popular (picking the bills) is not senseless to the point that even you pick the bills which makes it look like you're just *****ing to *****.

It's not just picking the Bills.

It's assuming that the Jets are a mess because they struggled in pre-season and had some off-season drama.

If people are honestly looking at both teams and picking the Bills, that's one thing. But that's not how it seems to me. It seems like a lot of people are summarily dismissing the Jets, and that's just not realistic.

mayotm
09-07-2012, 02:42 PM
The Jets are 2.5 point favorites.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 02:48 PM
The Jets are 2.5 point favorites.

Home team is usually spotted 3 points.

stuckincincy
09-07-2012, 02:55 PM
had to go on the cheap? Cheaper than they already were going? I don't even know if that's possible.

Well, they pay enough in the grand scheme, but those big bux forked over to MW surprised me. AFAIK, no other club was even close to jumping on him at that price. NE let Anderson go - who lets a good DE go as a FA, unless they thought him a spent force? If I plan against BUF, I deal with the rush and beat up this LB corps.

Their depth chart shows 2 TEs, 1 MLB, 2 placekickers. I don't recall seeing such oddness.

On D, I put a spy on Fred - he has great vision and cuts. Easily BUFs' best weapon. I wouldn't bother giving Fitz a heavy rush - BUF is so locked into the 3-step pass game and no TE threat, so I'll flatten SJ a few steps beyond the LOS, and keep my LBs in place to cover. I'll try to push Graham to the sidelines, but one feature of the BUF quick offense is that when I try to push WRs, I'm liable for a pass interference call. Unless my CB is named Revis, of course. :kid:

The BUF DB corps - they are in the same boat as many clubs...you would like better. Byrd/Wilson is one of the better S tandems.

I predict that the much-maligned Kelsay sees a lot of time.

justasportsfan
09-07-2012, 03:05 PM
It's not just picking the Bills.

It's assuming that the Jets are a mess because they struggled in pre-season and had some off-season drama.

If people are honestly looking at both teams and picking the Bills, that's one thing. But that's not how it seems to me. It seems like a lot of people are summarily dismissing the Jets, and that's just not realistic.

actually it's not as bad as you make it out to be. Not everyone is hating on the chances of jets but mostly hating on the the team because they were the most covered team the entire offseason without having done anything but bring in Tebow.

Night Train
09-07-2012, 03:11 PM
We're a bunch of message board twits.

I believe the Bills know this and are focused on the actual game.

BertSquirtgum
09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
PTI STFU already. 60M for a QB really isnt that much. Hes getting paid like a middle of the pack QB in this league

Fitzpatrick sucks. Admit it, you will feel better.

HAMMER
09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Captain BuzzKill never disappoints, thanks for the lecture again Dad.

YardRat
09-07-2012, 05:01 PM
This game is building up to become a possible wake-up call for Bills fans...seen it happen too many times over the years. Buffalo is getting some nat'l love, the Jets are getting hammered by everybody...it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the final score turned out to be lopsided, and not in our favor. Of course, if everything works out the way we hope it to, it could be just the reverse. We'll find out in a couple of days.

SquishDaFish
09-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Fitzpatrick sucks. Admit it, you will feel better.

You can STFU also

Luisito23
09-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Fitz with something to prove scares me.

Fitz without anything to proves scares me. Let's hope he starts out the same way he did last season.

better days
09-07-2012, 05:41 PM

NONSENSE. The Bills were so far under the cap they had plenty of Money to resign Stevie Johnson & Fred Jackson, sign Mario Williams & Mark Anderson & they are still in the middle of the pack in the league as far as being under the cap.

Luisito23
09-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Buffalo is getting some nat'l love, the Jets are getting hammered by everybody..

The media here is already calling this game a must win for the Jests since they have Pitts, SF, and Houston coming next.

HAMMER
09-07-2012, 06:31 PM
This game is building up to become a possible wake-up call for Bills fans...seen it happen too many times over the years. Buffalo is getting some nat'l love, the Jets are getting hammered by everybody...it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the final score turned out to be lopsided, and not in our favor. Of course, if everything works out the way we hope it to, it could be just the reverse. We'll find out in a couple of days.

Straddle the fence much?

YardRat
09-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Straddle the fence much?

Yeah, my comment was kind of non-committal, but such is the state of our team. Face it, they've given us just enough that it's fair to form a perception that they are going to do better, and just little enough to not inspire a lot of confidence. Would you be in the least bit surprised if this team finished anywhere between (just for an example) 5-11 or 11-5?

BertSquirtgum
09-07-2012, 07:05 PM
You can STFU also

Stop being mean to me. Waaahhh.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Captain BuzzKill never disappoints, thanks for the lecture again Dad.

Once again, shooting the messenger.

Sorry to interrupt your delusions with reality.

OpIv37
09-07-2012, 07:13 PM

this is exactly what I'm trying to say. Too many people are already looking past the Jets.

YardRat
09-07-2012, 07:17 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/213640-Bills-Jets-Pick-the-Score/page2

It's obviously a vast majority that believes the Bills are going to win this game.

Lopsided results like that are usually saved for Browns or Dolphins games.

BertSquirtgum
09-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I think the Jets suck suck suck. Easy win for the boys in blue this Sunday.

2slowtogofast
09-08-2012, 07:55 AM
I hope we win but would in no way be surprised if we got blown out after this teams performance over recent years

Night Train
09-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Reality is...we don't know ANYTHING about the 2012 Bills yet.

Let's play some games before shouting down facts from the pulpit.

Go Bills.

OpIv37
09-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Reality is...we don't know ANYTHING about the 2012 Bills yet.

Let's play some games before shouting down facts from the pulpit.

Go Bills.

I don't buy this. Certainly there are SOME things we don't know about the 2012 Bills.

But there are a lot of things we do know. We know Fitz's limitations. We know we don't have much behind Stevie in terms of WR. We know our LB's pretty much blow. And we know good things too: we have two very good DT's, Fred Jackson can play, Stevie can play when he keeps his head in the game....

And, just like there are things we don't know about the Bills, there are things we don't know about the Jets. Are they the disaster that they're portrayed to be in the media? How will Sanchez play? Will their OL hold up? Will Tebow be a weapon or a distraction? etc.

That's why I'm saying that people shouldn't be taking a victory as a foregone conclusion.

Oaf
09-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I think Sanchez is going to carve us up when it comes to crunchtime.

JoeMama
09-08-2012, 10:55 PM

I don't like it.

We got this.

Historian
09-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I really hope Fitz was playing possum all preseason.

I would love to see him come out and throw for 400 and 4 tds, because I don't think this D will give up more than 15-16 ppg all year.

OpIv37
09-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Yup, just Op being a "negative nancy." No problems here.

Thorough beat-down in all 3 phases of the game.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Yup, just Op being a "negative nancy." No problems here.

Thorough beat-down in all 3 phases of the game. Have you ever heard of the boy who cried wolf?

OpIv37
09-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Have you ever heard of the boy who cried wolf?

I have NEVER cried wolf. I've been right about the overwhelming majority of the things I've said about this team.

Night Train
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I think it's safe to say the hype is dead.