PDA

View Full Version : Apparently the Bills have 13.6 mill in cap space

X-Era
09-08-2012, 02:43 PM
I thought it was around 9 mill before the Merriman cut which was another 4. So, this seems about right.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/08/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-september-7/

(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/08/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-september-7/)

Luisito23
09-08-2012, 02:48 PM
First thing I want to see done is to give Levitre an extension...

Bird too, maybe? I think he's going to want to get paid huge money, and frankly I'm not sure he's worth as much as he thinks he is.

Ed
09-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Nix said we were gonna spend to the cap. Liar!

Seriously though, let's get Byrd extended already and use all that cap space for his bonus.

GingerP
09-08-2012, 03:27 PM
The league went from the rule-of-51 to regular season (full) cap accounting, so these numbers are for the season. Bills picked up money by cutting Edwards and having Thigpen take a paycut. That saved quite a bit.

That said, the Bills have a cash budget as well.

X-Era
09-08-2012, 04:07 PM

Bird too, maybe? I think he's going to want to get paid huge money, and frankly I'm not sure he's worth as much as he thinks he is.
I read that some think Levitre is a top 10 G in this league and may cost 9 mill per. The Nicks contract was used as the data point.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/buccaneers-reel-on-carl-nicks-for-five-years-47-5-million/

Meathead
09-08-2012, 04:52 PM
you know why the bills have so much cap room dont you

ServoBillieves
09-08-2012, 05:35 PM
you know why the bills have so much cap room dont you

Ralph is cheap?

X-Era
09-08-2012, 05:38 PM
you know why the bills have so much cap room dont youBecause we have the most expensive defensive player in the NFL?

I used the think Ralph was cheap but the Super Mario signing destroyed those notions along with cash to cap limiting what we would do in free agency.

Ed
09-08-2012, 05:40 PM

How do you know how much Byrd thinks he's worth?

gr8slayer
09-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Time to start locking up the young talent.

X-Era
09-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Time to start locking up the young talent.Agree. Levitre and Byrd need to be locked up long term.

gr8slayer
09-08-2012, 05:42 PM
No doubt, I'd probably prioritize them in that order too.
Agree. Levitre and Byrd need to be locked up long term.

OpIv37
09-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Because we have the most expensive defensive player in the NFL?

I used the think Ralph was cheap but the Super Mario signing destroyed those notions along with cash to cap limiting what we would do in free agency.

ONE signing overrides the decades of cheapness?

No way.

Ralph wasn't cheap THIS time. But until he spends consistently like other NFL teams do, he's still cheap.

X-Era
09-08-2012, 06:26 PM

No way.

Ralph wasn't cheap THIS time. But until he spends consistently like other NFL teams do, he's still cheap.So he's still cheap even though we have the highest paid defensive player in the league?

:lol:

OpIv37
09-08-2012, 06:29 PM
So he's still cheap even though we have the highest paid defensive player in the league?

:lol:

Yes. It's his first major expenditure since 2007 and maybe his 3rd in the last 12 years.

Not being cheap ONE time doesn't override decades of cheapness

Night Train
09-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Byrd, Levitre & next years 1st Round QB selection will eat that up.

X-Era
09-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Yes. It's his first major expenditure since 2007 and maybe his 3rd in the last 12 years.

Not being cheap ONE time doesn't override decades of cheapness
Fitz and Stevie also help make the argument. We have spots I would have liked to see investment in like LB and WR. But, it is what it is. It's better now that we are resigning our own key players and now also willing to sign a big name free agent.

It's one guy, I want to see another or two. But IMO it shatters the concept that Ralph is cheap. To still say he is is illogical to me.

justasportsfan
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM

No way.

Ralph wasn't cheap THIS time. But until he spends consistently like other NFL teams do, he's still cheap.

there you go exaggerating things again just because it proves you wrong. Decades? Was he cheap when he had one of the most expensive line-up during the Kelly era? was he cheap when he signed Drew Bledsoe , Milloy, Spikes and co? Was he cheap when he signed Dockery and co. ? How many decades apart were those signings?

bigbub2352
09-08-2012, 10:11 PM
resign andy levitre first priority...keep this oline together

YardRat
09-09-2012, 08:06 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/article/20120909/SPORTS/120909604/1004

The total value of all the contracts the Buffalo Bills have handed out puts them in the top 10 of the NFL this year, and the Bills will finish over the salary cap in actual cash spending for a second straight year.

Teams put more importance on actual cash spent out each season and base salaries and bonuses allotted to the players on this year's roster.
By that measure, the Bills stand seventh in the NFL this season, according to ESPN senior writer John Clayton.

The Bills' salary cap for 2012 is $133.9 million. Buffalo stands at $134.5 million in cash allotted for this year, according to News figures. The total will go up as players land on the injured reserve list.

Last year, Buffalo finished about $15 million over the cap in cash spending. More than half the league was over the cap in cash spending last year.

In terms of actual cap space this year, the Bills stand $11.2 million under their $133.9 million total. They are in fine shape to weather injuries that will occur and sign a player or two to a contract extension, if they wish.

Meathead
09-09-2012, 10:08 AM
some would say ralph is frugal bc he has to be. in a small market with the lowest ticket prices in the league and without many companies to buy the ridicuously overpriced luxury boxes that so many other teams benefit from, he has to be careful when he chooses to spend lavishly on a roster. but that history shows when theres an opportunity with the potential for a nice return in the form of a run at the playoffs and beyond he indeed will spend lavishly

but im not one of those. i say i think its pretty obvious ...

RALPH IS CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP!

X-Era
09-09-2012, 10:33 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/article/20120909/SPORTS/120909604/1004

The total value of all the contracts the Buffalo Bills have handed out puts them in the top 10 of the NFL this year, and the Bills will finish over the salary cap in actual cash spending for a second straight year.

Teams put more importance on actual cash spent out each season and base salaries and bonuses allotted to the players on this year's roster.
By that measure, the Bills stand seventh in the NFL this season, according to ESPN senior writer John Clayton.

The Bills' salary cap for 2012 is $133.9 million. Buffalo stands at $134.5 million in cash allotted for this year, according to News figures. The total will go up as players land on the injured reserve list.

Last year, Buffalo finished about $15 million over the cap in cash spending. More than half the league was over the cap in cash spending last year.

In terms of actual cap space this year, the Bills stand $11.2 million under their $133.9 million total. They are in fine shape to weather injuries that will occur and sign a player or two to a contract extension, if they wish.
So 5th in cap space available but also top 10 in contract value.

I'm interested to hear what you all think about what that means.

My first pass at that is that it shows the Bills are making a real investment in the team but doing so in a very smart manner as it pertains to the cap.

GingerP
09-09-2012, 10:54 AM
So 5th in cap space available but also top 10 in contract value.

I'm interested to hear what you all think about what that means.

My first pass at that is that it shows the Bills are making a real investment in the team but doing so in a very smart manner as it pertains to the cap.

It means bonus money is amortized over the life of the contract, making cap numbers in the early years lower while cash outlay is high. Mario Williams alone is being paid $25M this year, but his cap number is only $9.8M.

When you sign guys to big contracts with a big bonus you spend a lot of cash, but the cap accounting allows much of it to be spread over the life of the deal. It isn't that complex.

Additionally, the Bills had carryover space as well, so they have more than most teams.