PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

coastal
09-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Here's a thread I started on a different site... I was bombed with hate over it.

In terms of production over the past four years, Mario has been what I would categorize as a player with diminishing returns.

Tackles
2007 - 59
2008 - 53
2009 - 43
2010 - 28
2011 - 11

Sacks
2007 - 14
2008 - 12
2009 - 9
2010 - 8.5
2011 - 5

That doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who takes what he learned from the previous year, and then puts that to work (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/#) for him and his team the next. Not to mention... he's coming off a shortened season where he had a torn PECTORAL muscle surgically repaired. So for all you waving the pom-poms at the 'sign Super-Mario' bus, let me ask you this...

WHY?

Im still wondering why... 1 tackle for a million dollars...

can I get a woot woot?!

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Here's a thread I started on a different site... I was bombed with hate over it.

can I get a woot woot?!

So you were bombed with hate over there, so you came here for some love?

Cali512
09-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Stupid thread. He got the 5 in one game, the decrees started when they switched to 3-4, and no one on D did **** today.

SeatownBillsFan21
09-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Stop it

Novacane
09-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a feeling he's the type of guy who has 3 or 4 dominant games during the season then is invisible in the rest

jimmifli
09-09-2012, 04:08 PM
JoeMama's response is the still the best answer. We needed a pass rush. He was the best available. The Bills have to overpay to get anyone because they've been the worst team in the NFL for almost 15 years.

The NFL is a passing league so good pass rushers are hard to come by.

I was more excited that they were willing to spend that much money, it signalled that they are at least trying. They're still inept, but at least they're trying.

Blondie
09-09-2012, 04:10 PM
JoeMama's response is the still the best answer. We needed a pass rush. He was the best available. The Bills have to overpay to get anyone because they've been the worst team in the NFL for almost 15 years.

I was more excited that they were willing to spend that much money, it signalled that they are at least trying. They're still inept, but at least they're trying.

I try and you don't give me any credit...

Mr. Pink
09-09-2012, 04:12 PM
That money had to go somewhere and we did need a pass rusher.

Everyone in FA always gets overpaid.

Could have spread the money around a little better I guess but at least Ralph just didn't keep it in his bank account.

SpikedLemonade
09-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I was just happy Ralph finally found his wallet.

In the end, I guess it was nothing more than PR.

coastal
09-09-2012, 04:17 PM

I was more excited that they were willing to spend that much money, it signalled that they are at least trying. They're still inept, but at least they're trying.they tried?

I can try too... doesnt mean Im competent to run an NFL franchise.

jimmifli
09-09-2012, 04:17 PM
I was just happy Ralph finally found his wallet.

In the end, I guess it was nothing more than PR.

He's coming off a pretty serious injury. And there were a lot of three step drops today. The Jets took the pass rush out of the game and we couldn't cover for ****.

coastal
09-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Spending $100 million for this guy was a total waste of money.

Mr. Pink
09-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Spending $100 million for this guy was a total waste of money.

Who else would we have spent it on though? Plus he is an upgrade over like Dwan Edwards.

jimmifli
09-09-2012, 04:22 PM
they tried?

I can try too... doesnt mean Im competent to run an NFL franchise.

I thought Ralph wasn't trying, wasn't going to spend any money and the Bills would be bad until he died. Turns out they were still trying. So now, we can at least hope to get lucky. That's a big improvement. That's why I was excited.

I still think it was a good signing. We need more good players and we have a ton of cap space. We need a few more big signings like that.

If we aren't going to have a 2-14 season, we need to add more talent to the roster through free agency.

Blondie
09-09-2012, 04:22 PM
He's coming off a pretty serious injury. And there were a lot of three step drops today. The Jets took the pass rush out of the game and we couldn't cover for ****.

So if I have a mental injury what does that get me with you?

SquishDaFish
09-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Was it your ****ing money?? NO! Its one ****ing game jesus christ. Some people are so stupid

coastal
09-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Who else would we have spent it on though? Plus he is an upgrade over like Dwan Edwards.
hey... we could have paid a quarter of the amount for mincey and got double the production today.

SquishDaFish
09-09-2012, 04:27 PM
And you wonder why your not on that other board anymore LOL

coastal
09-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I thought Ralph wasn't trying, wasn't going to spend any money and the Bills would be bad until he died. Turns out they were still trying. So now, we can at least hope to get lucky. That's a big improvement. That's why I was excited.

I still think it was a good signing. We need more good players and we have a ton of cap space. We need a few more big signings like that.

If we aren't going to have a 2-14 season, we need to add more talent to the roster through free agency.he wasnt trying...

it was a desperate and stupid move to bring in a big name.

Ralph needs the sellouts of home games in order to remain profitable. The fans were getting close to rebelling again... so he chucks up the coin on the biggest name out there... regardless of whether or not it was a smart football decision!

you dont see the Ravens, Steelers or niners making such rash moves.

- - - Updated - - -

And you wonder why your not on that other board anymore LOL
from what Ive see out here... you are baout the ****tiest poster of the lot.

Here's the tally today.

$1 million = 1 tackle

awesomeness.

SquishDaFish
09-09-2012, 04:30 PM
LOL ****tiest poster def goes to you Mr. Brilliant. Your one of those Pathetic fans. Just go follow some other team or Find message board #3 loser

coastal
09-09-2012, 04:32 PM
LOL ****tiest poster def goes to you Mr. Brilliant. Your one of those Pathetic fans. Just go follow some other team or Find message board #3 loser
:rofl:

says the guy who thinks just because it isnt my money, my point is irrelevant.

gr8slayer
09-09-2012, 04:33 PM
While I don't totally agree with Coastal's post, I think your logic here is flawed. Just because it isn't his money, doesn't mean that he can't disagree with the decision to sign Williams. When you pay someone what he got paid, you expect them to be a special player.
Was it your ****ing money?? NO! Its one ****ing game jesus christ. Some people are so stupid

jimmifli
09-09-2012, 04:37 PM
he wasnt trying...

Ralph needs the sellouts of home games in order to remain profitable. The fans were getting close to rebelling again... so he chucks up the coin on the biggest name out there... regardless of whether or not it was a smart football decision!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the tally today.

$1 million = 1 tackle

awesomeness.

When your team wins, you re-sign your players, you pay them more (because they're worth it) and you don't have the budget to bring in the big names. The 49ers dropped stupid money on Jonas Jennings and Nate Clements, even Takeo's contract was questionable.

I agree with you on the Ravens and Steelers.

But I think you misunderstand me. The Bills are inept, we agree. But this offseason was more than just signing a big name. We re-signed our good players, even the ones that were talking about leaving. And then we we signed two passrushers, one for stupid money and one for a pretty good value. That points to Ralph giving the money required to win. We're still inept so I don't expect to win, but if we get lucky anything is possible, like if we drafted Wilson in the 3rd round.

coastal
While I don't totally agree with Coastal's post.What part dont you agree with?

Wouldnt you agree that the NFL is a league of production? It hasnt been there for Mario is 3+ years.

SquishDaFish
While I don't totally agree with Coastal's post, I think your logic here is flawed. Just because it isn't his money, doesn't mean that he can't disagree with the decision to sign Williams. When you pay someone what he got paid, you expect them to be a special player.

And its ONLY 1 ****ing Game!! Hes a pathetic poster

coastal
09-09-2012, 04:39 PM
When your team wins, you re-sign your players, you pay them more (because they're worth it) and you don't have the budget to bring in the big names. The 49ers dropped stupid money on Jonas Jennings and Nate Clements, even Takeo's contract was questionable.

I agree with you on the Ravens and Steelers.

But I think you misunderstand me. The Bills are inept, we agree. But this offseason was more than just signing a big name. We re-signed our good players, even the ones that were talking about leaving. And then we we signed two passrushers, one for stupid money and one for a pretty good value. That points to Ralph giving the money required to win. We're still inept so I don't expect to win, but if we get lucky anything is possible, like if we drafted Wilson in the 3rd round.Anderson was a good signing.

Mario was foolish use of company resources and will hurt this franchise short and longterm.

- - - Updated - - -

Hes a pathetic poster
nothing can be further from the truth.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Anderson was a good signing.

How did Anderson do today?

Mike
09-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Its not one game. Its not like the Bills are the Pats and had one bad game. This team has been the worst team in the NFL over the past decade.

SquishDaFish
09-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Its not one game. Its not like the Bills are the Pats and had one bad game. This team has been the worst team in the NFL over the past decade.

Its Marios first game with Buffalo bright one

gr8slayer
09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I feel like you're jumping the gun a bit. I also have a different perspective, as I've followed Williams' career closely. For the better part of his career, he was the only player the opposition had to scheme for on the Texans defense. After his first year, there was no hiding him. My hope was that he would come to Buffalo, and for the first time in his career, be surrounded by some legitimate talent (Dareus, Williams, etc...). I think it's important to remember that for the past two years, he's dealt with injuries that wound up putting him on the I.R. (hernia in 2010, and and pectoral in 2011); didn't do his statistics any favors. Since you're talking strictly statistics, through five weeks last year, he was on pace for the best year of his career (as far as sacks are concerned). Whatever the argument, I think it's fair to say that it's far too early to put a title to any of the off-season additions, or any player for that matter.
What part dont you agree with?

Wouldnt you agree that the NFL is a league of production? It hasnt been there for Mario is 3+ years.

jimmifli
09-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Anderson was a good signing.

Mario was foolish use of company resources and will hurt this franchise short and longterm.

That entirely depends. To win in a salary cap, you need to get better performance for the dollar than your competition. The Bills spend NOTHING on offense. We have a cheap QB, a cheap #1 WR, no one earning #2 or #3 WR money, Chandler is probably close to fair value or a slight bargain at TE. The line is cheap, and our RB's are fair value.

That means we can overspend on defence.

The strategy has always been to use Chan's scheme's to generate points with cheap players and spend the savings on defence. The problem is Chan's scheme's aren't working and the defence living up to it's price tag. This strategy might hurt the team if we get a real QB that signs a short rookie contract. Otherwise, it's not that bad. By the time we'll be paying our next QB his second contract, Mario's deal will look cheap.

CoolBreeze
09-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Saw an interview with Mario after the game. He said he was punched in the face over 20 times by Howard. Uppercuts to the chin. He said something to refs, they did nothing. He said "I don't know if that's allowed in the new CBA, but I don't think so".... Other than he was pretty pissed at his and the defense overall performance.
I'm sure he will be fined for his comments about the "lack" of officiating

coastal
09-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Saw an interview with Mario after the game. He said he was punched in the face over 20 times by Howard. Uppercuts to the chin. He said something to refs, they did nothing. He said "I don't know if that's allowed in the new CBA, but I don't think so".... Other than he was pretty pissed at his and the defense overall performance.
I'm sure he will be fined for his comments about the "lack" of officiating
He's whining because he got punched in the mouth?

Really?

Blondie
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Maybe his wife will kiss his boo-boos

SquishDaFish
09-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Man I would like to see you play football Coast. See what you say then LOL

YardRat
09-09-2012, 05:20 PM

Yeah, and of course our staff was completely surprised that the Jets would actually attempt to gameplan around neutralizing the effectiveness of our front four.

Gee, who would've thunk it?

Blondie
09-09-2012, 05:25 PM

The guys being paid how much to play?? He should have been punching someone in the mouth!

Be a man step up to the plate and take that ***** down ...

Beebe's Kid
09-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I will wait one more week before I decide how this signing worked out.

It Mario has three sacks next week, do we average out the two, or do we just completely over-react and say it was the best signing ever?

jimmifli
09-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah, and of course our staff was completely surprised that the Jets would actually attempt to gameplan around neutralizing the effectiveness of our front four.

Gee, who would've thunk it?

I doubt they were surprised. But Wannstache doesn't blitz, our LBs can't cover and our secondary sucked. So, what was he supposed to do? Play press coverage? Hmm, you know...

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
He's whining because he got punched in the mouth?

Really?

Why did you say that signing Anderson was a good signing and Mario wasn't?

coastal
09-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Why did you say that signing Anderson was a good signing and Mario wasn't?
Because I'm smart.

Next.

mrbojanglezs
09-09-2012, 05:44 PM
The OP is annoying as ****

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Because I'm smart.

Next.

Oh, ok. Well I'll just keep not giving a **** about your opinion then.

Extremebillsfan247
09-09-2012, 05:49 PM

can I get a woot woot?!
Pretty tough for him to get sacks when the Bills DB's are leaving receivers wide open all game long. Pick a name in our secondary that played who didn't get burned today. Just saying. They played like 6th round rookies trying to win a spot on a roster. LB's weren't much help either. That's the trick to the 4-3 defense, everything must work well, or nothing does.

coastal
09-09-2012, 05:55 PM
The OP is annoying as ****
Hard truths usually are.

My alternative to Mario was Jabaal Sheard.

He only had one tackle today too.

I don't think it cost a million dollars though.

BuffaloWingEater
09-09-2012, 06:01 PM
he wasnt trying...

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the tally today.

$1 million = 1 tackle

awesomeness.

ummmmm, do you happen to see who plays defense for them?

coastal
09-09-2012, 06:07 PM
ummmmm, do you happen to see who plays defense for them?
Yes and this backs into my overall point...

BuffaloWingEater
09-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Yes and this backs into my overall point...

their d's are loaded with all pro's. are team is loaded with kickers.

coastal
09-09-2012, 06:22 PM
their d's are loaded with all pro's. are team is loaded with kickers.
Thus the need to make a "big splash" on players that can supposedly deliver.

Well the problem isn't the players...

... It's the organization that's broken.

And I'm done.

SpikedLemonade
09-09-2012, 06:37 PM

And I'm done.

It has been broken for over 50 years except for a few years when Ralph got lucky with Polian.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 06:38 PM

And I'm done.

Thank God.

coastal
09-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Thank God.
Don't worry... I'll stick around to help you understand your ignorance.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Don't worry... I'll stick around to help you understand your ignorance.

Haha, my ignorance?

All I asked you to do is explain you're logic. You played the 3 year old card and basically said, I'm right cuz I'm right. Who's the ignorant one?

gr8slayer
09-09-2012, 06:53 PM

And I'm done.
That much we can agree on. I maintain that it will remain so until Wilson is no longer with the organization. There's no denying his contribution to the league over the years, but his tenure as an owner has been a failure.

Mr. Pink
09-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Hard truths usually are.

My alternative to Mario was Jabaal Sheard.

He only had one tackle today too.

I don't think it cost a million dollars though.

Sheard is under a rookie contract of 4 years 5 million and change.

But please explain to me how Sheard was your alternative when Sheard was drafted in 2011 and Mario was an FA in 2012?

pmoon6
09-09-2012, 07:00 PM
What a ****ing loser. One game and you're already pumping your chest. That's the only reason I logged on, to see you make a fool of yourself. What a juvinile pussy. Did you brag when you slept with the fat girl down the street when you were 16? I know you brag about ****ing your wife.

What a man.

BuffaloWingEater
09-09-2012, 07:03 PM

And I'm done.

wait you were saying mario is fools gold and now he's not broken.....it's the organization. no comprende. pick an argument and stick with it.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Sheard is under a rookie contract of 4 years 5 million and change.

But please explain to me how Sheard was your alternative when Sheard was drafted in 2011 and Mario was an FA in 2012?

He's probably only going to tell you that "he's right and he's smart." You won't get a real answer from him, the guy is a joke.

Mr. Pink
09-09-2012, 07:20 PM
He's probably only going to tell you that "he's right and he's smart." You won't get a real answer from him, the guy is a joke.

Generally when you have an alternative, the alternative is a guy who's available the same year to you.

I, personally, think we overpaid for Mario but that's the nature of FA. Plus we have an obvious need for pass rushers so what else were we gonna do? Sign another situational guy like Anderson and then let Ralph pocket some more money instead?

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Generally when you have an alternative, the alternative is a guy who's available the same year to you.

I, personally, think we overpaid for Mario but that's the nature of FA. Plus we have an obvious need for pass rushers so what else were we gonna do? Sign another situational guy like Anderson and then let Ralph pocket some more money instead?

Exactly. Most people had 'pass rush' as a top 2 need on this team, so we go out and get Mario and Anderson and break the bank. Now, after 1 week, people are *****ing...ridiculous.

coastal
09-09-2012, 07:27 PM
wait you were saying mario is fools gold and now he's not broken.....it's the organization. no comprende. pick an argument and stick with it.
Mario was a decision...

And it was the wrong decision at the wrong time.. A decision made in a desperate effort to regain the loyalties and attention of a faltering fan base.

It was a decision that Ralph has duplicated before.

Mario as a player may or may not be fine... My point is the decision making process that goes into bringing him in when they did, for the amount that they did, for the reasons they did... all wrong!

Like I said... Fool's Gold.

- - - Updated - - -

What a ****ing loser. One game and you're already pumping your chest. That's the only reason I logged on, to see you make a fool of yourself. What a juvinile pussy. Did you brag when you slept with the fat girl down the street when you were 16? I know you brag about ****ing your wife.

What a man.
Did you watch the Niners game?

coastal
09-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Jabaal Sheard was drafted the year before when we took A Williams.

We created the need for a pass rusher by selecting another high round CB.

Mr. Pink
09-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Jabaal Sheard was drafted the year before when we took A Williams.

We created the need for a pass rusher by selecting another high round CB.

We were also a 3-4 front team when we drafted A Williams...Sheard is a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 DE.

Completely irrelevant point to say you would have drafted a guy who at the time wouldn't have even fit the scheme.

coastal
09-09-2012, 07:33 PM
We were also a 3-4 front team when we drafted A Williams...Sheard is a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 DE.

Completely irrelevant point to say you would have drafted a guy who at the time wouldn't have even fit the scheme.
Exactly what scheme do we run other than a ****ty one?

Mr. Pink
09-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Exactly what scheme do we run other than a ****ty one?

When you are a team who usually runs 3-4 looks what purpose does drafting a 4-3 DE serve?

And how is that a viable alternative at the time it happened?

Use hindsight all you want but NO team is drafting a 4-3 DE when they run mainly 3-4 looks...EVER.

So what REALISTIC alternative would you have done instead of Mario...ie someone different to pick up in 2012 than Mario.

coastal
09-09-2012, 07:45 PM
When you are a team who usually runs 3-4 looks what purpose does drafting a 4-3 DE serve?

And how is that a viable alternative at the time it happened?

Use hindsight all you want but NO team is drafting a 4-3 DE when they run mainly 3-4 looks...EVER.

So what REALISTIC alternative would you have done instead of Mario...ie someone different to pick up in 2012 than Mario.
Dude... We had Spencer Johnson and Chris Kelsay playing OLB and played 4 man fronts half the time anyways... so your argument sucks.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Dude... We had Spencer Johnson and Chris Kelsay playing OLB and played 4 man fronts half the time anyways... so your argument sucks.

Just because we didn't have ideal players for a 3-4 doesn't mean it was smart to bring in more players that didn't fit the scheme, we were transitioning.

Oh sorry, I forgot how smart you said you were...my bad, nevermind.

coastal
09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Just because we didn't have ideal players for a 3-4 doesn't mean it was smart to bring in more players that didn't fit the scheme, we were transitioning.

Oh sorry, I forgot how smart you said you were...my bad, nevermind.
A question Inwould love to ask Wanny after today...

Wanny... You coached Jabaal Sheard in college. Would he ever whine after a game about the refs not calling hands to the face or he would be take it as a green light to dish it out himself?

Thanks... And I'm going to hang up and listen to your comments.

JoeMama
09-09-2012, 08:00 PM

I appreciate the bump.

You're probably the sharpest economic minded guy on the board. I think you and I were on the same page about Mario and why he commanded the contract he did.

It's like in the business world: In order to lure better talent to an undesirable workplace, a business has to offer more money than its competitors to make it happen. I think it's called a compensating wage differential. Something like that. It doesn't matter.

I still don't believe Mario is God's gift to defensive ends - and probably never will - but in order to attract talent to an undesirable, losing franchise, you have to overpay to get name players.

I'm disappointed that the results weren't more instantly gratifying.

I'd say more but I'm too discouraged about the performance to defend anything or anyone related to the Buffalo Bills tonight.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 08:01 PM
A question Inwould love to ask Wanny after today...

Wanny... You coached Jabaal Sheard in college. Would he ever whine after a game about the refs not calling hands to the face or he would be take it as a green light to dish it out himself?

Thanks... And I'm going to hang up and listen to your comments.

He'd laugh at you for asking such a dumb question.

You said you were done about an hour ago, please mean it this time.

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Edit
I give a rats ass about the media or "conventional" fanboy wisdom.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I give a rats ass about the media or "conventional" fanboy wisdom.

Right, you're smart because you said you were.

gebobs
09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Invisible. Hey he's got that going for him.

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Right, you're smart because you said you were.
What's your cogent point?

Mario is awesome and rules?

Cool.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 08:12 PM
What's your cogent point?

Mario is awesome and rules?

Cool.

When did I say that? You shouldn't put words in other peoples mouth's. Self titled smart people don't do that.

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:16 PM
When did I say that? You shouldn't put words in other peoples mouth's. Self titled smart people don't do that.can u explain to me why Chris Kelsay is still on the team?

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 08:17 PM
can u explain to me why Chris Kelsay is still on the team?

Nope. Why do you think I'm qualified to do that?

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Nope.neither can I... haven't been honestly able to for years.

Assuming you agree... Don't you think that has something to do with all of this?

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
It's like in the business world: In order to lure better talent to an undesirable workplace, a business has to offer more money than its competitors to make it happen. I think it's called a compensating wage differential. Something like that. It doesn't matter.

I still don't believe Mario is God's gift to defensive ends - and probably never will - but in order to attract talent to an undesirable, losing franchise, you have to overpay to get name players.you mean like Pittsburgh does?

Oops.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 08:26 PM
neither can I... haven't been honestly able to for years.

Assuming you agree... Don't you think that has something to do with all of this?

All of what? Who is Chris Kelsay taking playing time away from? Who would we have signed that Chris Kelsay's salary is preventing us from signing?

JoeMama
09-09-2012, 08:33 PM
you mean like Pittsburgh does?

Oops.

Pittsburgh doesn't have an infinitely long losing history.

They have more Superbowl rings than any other team in the NFL.

They have a hard time retaining all the talent they draft, making it largely unnecessary to go get big names in free agency.

If you're suggesting we should draft better, well duh, I agree.

But we don't and that's why we haven't made the playoffs in 12 years and that's why we're trying to throw money at the problem.

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:37 PM
All of what? Who is Chris Kelsay taking playing time away from? Who would we have signed that Chris Kelsay's salary is preventing us from signing?
All of what?

The decisions this organization makes.. That's what.

And it's not about who they would pay instead of Kelsay.. It's about the desperate need to sign Mario wouldn't exist if we started making better decisions as a franchise.... And keeping some bag of **** football player like kelsay around takes away opportunities from real football players helping this organization to improve.

But we don't do that and year after year we expect a different result and when we don't get it... The panic button gets pressed and we draft players like Aaron Maybin or spend $100 million on a guy who hasn't produced in 3 years.

Fools gold dude.

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:39 PM
But we don't and that's why we haven't made the playoffs in 12 years and that's why we're trying to throw money at the problem.and wouldn't u agree that this recipe has proven to be a failure way more often than not in the NFL?

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 08:42 PM
All of what?

The decisions this organization makes.. That's what.

And it's not about who they would pay instead of Kelsay.. It's about the desperate need to sign Mario wouldn't exist if we started making better decisions as a franchise.... And keeping some bag of **** football player like kelsay around takes away opportunities from real football players helping this organization to improve.

But we don't do that and year after year we expect a different result and when we don't get it... The panic button gets pressed and we draft players like Aaron Maybin or spend $100 million on a guy who hasn't produced in 3 years.

Fools gold dude.

You haven't paid attention to basically the only thing I've said on this thread...I only asked how signing Mark Anderson was a better transaction than signing Mario Williams. You preceded to tell me that you're smarter than me without answering my question. I don't give 2 ****s about fools gold.

jimmifli
09-09-2012, 08:49 PM
and wouldn't u agree that this recipe has proven to be a failure way more often than not in the NFL?

Everybody that has been paying attention agrees. But drafting badly and not bringing in any good players would be worse.

I think the 49ers (as you pointed out) provide a pretty good blueprint. Buy better players until you start drafting good players and then stop buying players and try to keep as many of your good players as you can afford.

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:50 PM
You haven't paid attention to basically the only thing I've said on this thread...I only asked how signing Mark Anderson was a better transaction than signing Mario Williams. You preceded to tell me that you're smarter than me without answering my question. I don't give 2 ****s about fools gold.
Because... Anderson struggled in this league... To the point where he's been released.

And he came back... Worked hard... Learned... And repeated his initial success... And produced last year!

Not to mention... We didn't make him the highest paid player in the history of the franchise.

It was a signing that made sense.

M Williams wasnt sensible. It felt good... But it wasn't sensible... Not. One. Damn. Bit.

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Everybody that has been paying attention agrees. But drafting badly and not bringing in any good players would be worse.

I think the 49ers (as you pointed out) provide a pretty good blueprint. Buy better players until you start drafting good players and then stop buying players and try to keep as many of your good players as you can afford.http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1116666-free-agent-signings-put-the-49ers-in-a-great-situation-as-the-draft-nears

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Because... Anderson struggled in this league... To the point where he's been released.

And he came back... Worked hard... Learned... And repeated his initial success... And produced last year!

Not to mention... We didn't make him the highest paid player in the history of the franchise.

It was a signing that made sense.

M Williams was sensible. It felt good... But it wasn't sensible... Not. One. Damn. Bit.

Ok.

So you've made this big stink about Mario's first game. How did Anderson do today?

Why does how much we paid for Mario matter in THIS case? We're still under the cap, Mario isn't preventing any signings.

coastal
09-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Ok.

So you've made this big stink about Mario's first game. How did Anderson do today?

Why does how much we paid for Mario matter in THIS case? We're still under the cap, Mario isn't preventing any signings.
One thing Anderson didn't do was whine about getting blocked in his post game presser.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 09:00 PM
One thing Anderson didn't do was whine about getting blocked in his post game presser.

Who cares what he said in the presser? Do I think he should've *****ed, no. Do I care about what he says off the field, not really...especially in this case.

coastal
09-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Who cares what he said in the presser? Do I think he should've *****ed, no. Do I care about what he says off the field, not really...especially in this case.
We're two very different people then.

Because whether he likes it or not.. Mario is the leader of the team.

And our leader is a butt ****ing whiner.

And I personally have a problem with leaders who are butt ****ing whiners... Especially when they don't produce.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 09:05 PM
We're two very different people then.

Because whether he likes it or not.. Mario is the leader of the team.

And our leader is a butt ****ing whiner.

And I personally have a problem with leaders who are butt ****ing whiners... Especially when they don't produce.

Mario is not the leader on this team. That was discussed during his signing. He's here to play DE, not be a voice in the locker room.

DynaPaul
09-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Is it too late to restructure his contract and get some of that money back? Guy was invisible out there today and against a rookie tackle pretty much. That's not acceptable.

Blondie
09-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Mario is not the leader on this team. That was discussed during his signing. He's here to play DE, not be a voice in the locker room.

I think you are missing his point.

Mario is the highest paid BILLS player... boy needs to step it up and not be a whining *****.

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM
I think you are missing his point.

Mario is the highest paid BILLS player... boy needs to step it up and not be a whining *****.

Works pretty well for Brady..

Blondie
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM

You are right about that!

Joe Fo Sho
09-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Alright, I'm out for the night...bumble bee tuna.

jimmifli
09-09-2012, 09:11 PM
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1116666-free-agent-signings-put-the-49ers-in-a-great-situation-as-the-draft-nears

Great advice! Draft better. Supplement through free agency. What about the teams that draft ****ty?

Now you're the Bills GM, and you've had 15 years of mostly ****ty drafts. You've got a boatload of money and a bunch of ****ty players. Are you saying don't spend it? Or spend it on players that don't want to come here. You like the Anderson signing, why do you think he came here? It might just be related to the strength of the Bills Dline and the fact that he's the least likely guy on the line to face a double team. Do you think he comes if we didn't land Mario? I don't.

And what about next off season? Do you think there may be some FA LBers that wouldn't mind playing behind that line and would at least keep the Bills on the list?

The team sucks, and has sucked for a long time. And until it shows some success it will be hard to attract those mid tier guys that don't break the bank.

coastal
09-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Except Brady actually produces...

Big difference.

JoeMama
09-09-2012, 09:12 PM
and wouldn't u agree that this recipe has proven to be a failure way more often than not in the NFL?

Dan Snyder's reckless spending is a good example in defense of your overall point.

But certainly, many teams have addressed specific weak spots via free agency.

Minnesota basically built a defensive dynasty around the acquisitions of former Bills, DT Pat Williams and CB Antoine Winfield.

The Vikings had a real good run for a real long time with those two as pivotal parts of the puzzle.

coastal
09-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Great advice! Draft better. Supplement through free agency. What about the teams that draft ****ty?

Now you're the Bills GM, and you've had 15 years of mostly ****ty drafts. You've got a boatload of money and a bunch of ****ty players. Are you saying don't spend it? Or spend it on players that don't want to come here. You like the Anderson signing, why do you think he came here? It might just be related to the strength of the Bills Dline and the fact that he's the least likely guy on the line to face a double team. Do you think he comes if we didn't land Mario? I don't.

And what about next off season? Do you think there may be some FA LBers that wouldn't mind playing behind that line and would at least keep the Bills on the list?

The team sucks, and has sucked for a long time. And until it shows some success it will be hard to attract those mid tier guys that don't break the bank.
What would I do...

Tell Ralph's niece to go **** herself and get myself fired.

jimmifli
09-09-2012, 09:17 PM
What would I do...

Tell Ralph's niece to go **** herself and get myself fired.

Your point seems to be that the Bills should stop being inept. I don't think anyone disagrees.

coastal
09-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Your point seems to be that the Bills should stop being inept. I don't think anyone disagrees.
Nope.. But not everyone understands what exactly ineptitude is... let alone how to remedy it.

Mr. Pink
09-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Nope.. But not everyone understands what exactly ineptitude is... let alone how to remedy it.

Your idea of a solution is to draft a guy a year before signing Mario to fix the pass rush problem when he didn't even fit the current defensive system. So apparently, you don't know how to remedy it either.

We literally would have wasted a season trying to teach Sheard to play OLB and then had to go back to putting him out there at DE this year.

Turf
09-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Can anyone say defensive scheme? Where was it? Jets got the ball at the end of the 2nd half up a ton of points, no time outs about a 1 min 15 left, drove the ball down the field in 15-20 yard chunks, like nothing.

Syderick
09-09-2012, 11:50 PM
The D-line Mario, Kyle, Marcel, Mark, Chris...etc had very little pressure. It was very disappointing to watch this unit.

coastal
09-16-2012, 03:55 PM
2 games 3 tackles.

Mindbender
09-16-2012, 03:57 PM
2 games 3 tackles.

Eh, Mario wasn't the most visible but I thought he had a good game overall.

DBrown77
09-16-2012, 03:58 PM
He was taking double and triple teams.

coastal
09-16-2012, 03:59 PM
He was taking double and triple teams.
Wtf game were u watching?

Single teams.

All.

Day.

Long.

kingJofNYC
09-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Fumble recovery, oh and Winston was called for holding.

Don't short change Mario! Did better this week, than last against better competition, but still not what you want out of a guy making that much money. I thought Anderson looked better than Mario, was really active.

Novacane
09-16-2012, 04:11 PM
I don't know if it was all day long but the 5 or so plays I watched him specifically he was single teamed.

ServoBillieves
09-16-2012, 04:13 PM

Single teams.

All.

Day.

Long.

Uhm... the better question is what game were YOU watching? He was fighting off holds and double teams all day. You can spit whatever stats you want but you must have really not been paying attention.

ICRockets
09-16-2012, 04:17 PM
The best part of every Bills win is that the numbnuts who still need to find fault for their own self-serving, attention-craving purposes are exposed for all to see.

Luisito23
09-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Still not impressed at all.

This guy's supposed to be a game changer, and the only thing that has changed is his bank account.

Blondie
09-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Still not impressed at all.

This guy's supposed to be a game changer, and the only thing that has changed is his bank account.

Lol... FOOLS GOLD!

coastal
09-16-2012, 04:36 PM
The best part of every Bills win is that the numbnuts who still need to find fault for their own self-serving, attention-craving purposes are exposed for all to see.
The huge red flag was when Mario said he wasn't here to be a leader...

No ****... That's what we pay Chris Kelsay for.

mrbojanglezs
09-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Single teams.

All.

Day.

Long.

Wrong.

coastal
09-16-2012, 04:38 PM
He was fighting off holds and double teams all day.
Did he whine about it this week in his post-game presser?

EricStratton
09-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Single teams.

All.

Day.

Long.

You're wrong today Coastal

coastal
09-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Wrong.
Ok... Let's assume you're right (which you're not)... Did Bruce Smith ever produce when facing double and triple teams?

coastal
09-16-2012, 04:44 PM
You're wrong today Coastal
I watched the whole game... He was invisible and single teamed.

Heres a stat...

KC playing from behind whole game... Bills 5 sacks...

Super Mario... None.

Blondie
09-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I just looked up his stats... if says he has 1 tackle.

That is AWESOME.

Mr. Pink
09-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Mario Williams is like Aaron Schoebel.

Disappears for stretches and has a few big games.

Wait til he has a 3 sack performance against someone and the posters clamor how absolutely awesome he is.

Blondie
09-16-2012, 04:57 PM
If I WAS that nick Barnett guy.. who has had 5 tackles.. I'd be demanding to be paid a million. At least he is out there working!

coastal
09-16-2012, 05:01 PM
You know how to shut me up?

Mario produces!

Which he hasn't in years.

PromoTheRobot
09-16-2012, 05:03 PM
From the folks who gave you: SPILLER IS A BUST!

PTR

Night Train
09-16-2012, 05:08 PM

the IGNORE option ?

WELCOME ! and GOODBYE !

SquishDaFish
09-16-2012, 05:10 PM
some posters need to put down their crackpipes

Blondie
09-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Mario produces!

Which he hasn't in years.

I get your point but you really should just be happy y'all won and the BUCS gave up all them fantasy points for you today

That should shut you up but my guess is it wont... :-)

BillsOwnAll
09-16-2012, 05:28 PM
The Dline is a unit...5 sacks..Who cares who does it...id have to rewatch the game but im sure marion had more of an affect on the game then the stat sheet.

coastal
09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Lamar Woodley doesn't appear to be having a problem generating pressure on the Jets this week!

Inquiring minds want to know why.

tomz
09-16-2012, 06:07 PM
You mean besides the fact that he plays a different position in a different scheme? Rushing from a lb spot in a 3-4 is a different thing with different responsibilities.

coastal
09-16-2012, 06:09 PM
You mean besides the fact that he plays a different position in a different scheme? Rushing from a lb spot in a 3-4 is a different thing with different responsibilities.
Didn't Mario play linebacker in a 3-4 last year?

Mike
09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Lamar Woodley doesn't appear to be having a problem generating pressure on the Jets this week!

Inquiring minds want to know why.

Simply because he is better

Mike
09-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Excuse after excuse. Top players produce, the end!
Next thing youll be blaming the turf, and the temperature and the wind, and maybe even the god (would not be the first time). If he does not produce, its a reflection of him. There are plenty of great DEs playing on god awful teams that have produced. IF Mario is great or very good, circumstances should not dictate outcome, he should dictate outcome.

mrbojanglezs
09-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Ok... Let's assume you're right (which you're not)... Did Bruce Smith ever produce when facing double and triple teams?

he is not Bruce Smith. Why do you hate on Mario so much?? We paid him a lot who cares? We needed a pass rusher and we got the best one that was on the market. Wouldn't be the first guy to get overpaid in this league.

Get off your high horse.

coastal
09-16-2012, 07:09 PM
he is not Bruce Smith. Why do you hate on Mario so much?? We paid him a lot who cares? We needed a pass rusher and we got the best one that was on the market. Wouldn't be the first guy to get overpaid in this league.

Get off your high horse.Because I wouldn't want to go into battle with him and we made him the highest paid player in the history of the organization.

better days
09-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Because I wouldn't want to go into battle with him and we made him the highest paid player in the history of the organization.

I doubt Mario would want to go into battle with you either.

JoeMama
09-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Because I wouldn't want to go into battle with him and we made him the highest paid player in the history of the organization.

There's only one former Bill I'd go into battle with.

Former offensive line coach Carl Mauck.

That dude looked ready to murder an entire school bus full of children every time they panned to the sideline.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/imagesqtbnANd9GcTcqkYtLt21mLEKbv4LWr0XdrQKqWDzy0Ah33ZkUHfw21esb2Pc.jpg

BertSquirtgum
09-16-2012, 11:11 PM

blah blah blah, enough already.

kishoph
09-17-2012, 04:16 AM
I watched the whole game... He was invisible and single teamed.

Heres a stat...

KC playing from behind whole game... Bills 5 sacks...

Super Mario... None.

If you really think that Williams didn't have an impact on yesterdays game, you're totally wrong. He has an impact on the game even before the opening kickoff, don't you think that opposing teams game plan their pass protection to stop Williams ? Sacks are a lot more than just an individual effort. There's more to grading a player than just stats. In the run game Williams did an excellent job in holding the edge yesterday. In the pass rush, you said you watched the whole game, but what game were you watching ? To say that he was singled teamed the whole game, again you couldn't be more wrong and you must of also missed a fumble recovery. If this how he looks when he's" invisible," I can't wait till we can see him or at least you can see him, but that may never come, unless you take the hater shades off.

JoeMama
09-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Who knows, maybe Mario Williams is pulling a CJ2K and decided to mail it in now that he got his ultimate payday.

He's too busy stackin' paper to the ceiling and rollin' on 24 inch chrome to hear the criticism of guys like coastal.

Personally, I don't think he'll live up to most people's expectations. But I do think he'll have a more measurable impact as the season progresses.

Michael82
09-17-2012, 10:28 AM

Single teams.

All.

Day.

Long.

Not all day long, but a majority of the time. I, along with the guy next to me were watching him many different times and noticed he was 1-on-1. Occasionally the guard would chip in, but Mario was getting blocked and manhandled 1-on-1 quite a bit. It was very troubling. I really wonder if he has some kind of injury and they arent telling anyone.

Michael82
09-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Get off your high horse.

We got the best two on the marker. And Mark Anderson actually is making plays and looks good out there. Mario Williams, the $100 million man...does NOT!

Oaf
09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Are we worse w/ MW than w/o him? If no, then shut up. It's not your $100m. Besides, there's an argument there's no Mark Anderson with no Mario Williams.

TedMock
09-17-2012, 02:02 PM
It depends on what we're looking for. The obvious answer is "dominant in all facets." Unfortunately, that is rarely realistic. Want a pure dominating pass rusher? Want a well rounded game? Stud against the run? Williams didn't kill the stat sheet yesterday, but anybody watching saw him play a very good game. Nobody wins every battle on the line. Several times, he collapsed the offensive right side which is great and it is something not often talked about that we desperately lacked in the past. Kyle Williams and Dareus are obviously great interior players, but both also obviously benefitted from Mario's play yesterday. No sacks, but a few high quality pressures that led to incompletions and punts, and one to a sack. A fumble recovery, a tipped pass and a holding call. Hardly a crap game. A sack or two would have been awesome and certainly justified the signing more, but to argue that he did not play well overall is pure foolish. To argue the dollar value is another story. It all depends on what you personally expected, but that's an individual's opinion. There are one hundred million of those out there.

DraftBoy
09-17-2012, 02:05 PM
This thread ignored any kind of schematic or tactical advantage that Williams mere presence brings. He is not just going to be a state sheet guy and we all knew that when we signed him which was why we signed him.

JoeMama
09-17-2012, 02:25 PM
The people who have already set up camp on one side or the other on Mario Williams are unlikely to budge no matter what the stats indicate at the end of the season.

If he blows up, we'll hear how his sacks and QB pressures were meaningless "Aaron Schobel" coverage sacks.

If he sucks, we'll hear how his mere presence elevated the whole unit (provided we improve on defense this season, which we should).

The script may as well be pre-written.

kishoph
09-17-2012, 04:45 PM
There is no player in the league that is going to go out and dominate every game he plays in.
The Bills could go out and get Payton Manning, and the 1st interception he threw, there would be people on the boards talking about how much he sucks and the Bills should of got someone else. Remember there were people that wanted Frank Reich over Jim Kelly, because they thought Kelly sucked. There will always be people that just love misery or want to hear themselves complain.

better days
09-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Not all day long, but a majority of the time. I, along with the guy next to me were watching him many different times and noticed he was 1-on-1. Occasionally the guard would chip in, but Mario was getting blocked and manhandled 1-on-1 quite a bit. It was very troubling. I really wonder if he has some kind of injury and they arent telling anyone.

He is wearing a cast on his wrist which would indicate it is broken.

coastal
09-23-2012, 01:08 PM
It's about ****ing time...

SquishDaFish
09-23-2012, 01:15 PM
STFU Coastal

BertSquirtgum
09-23-2012, 01:42 PM
It's about ****ing time...

Suck a fart guy.

coastal
09-23-2012, 01:50 PM
STFU Coastal
What?

1 sack every 2.5 games is worth an unquestioned $100 million?

SquishDaFish
09-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Yea I rather the Bills not sign anyone you fn loser. Get a LIFE

notacon
09-23-2012, 03:11 PM
I agre with coastal. Mario is not even close to worth it!

Generalissimus Gibby
09-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I dunno man, Mario earned his paycheck today.

Joe Fo Sho
09-23-2012, 03:13 PM
What?

You have my vote as the most worthless person on the internet, my friend. Quite the feet.

kingJofNYC
09-23-2012, 03:15 PM
What?

His penetration led to Kyle's sack as well.

Listen, I'm not the biggest fan, he's up and down, but he had a good game today. Played pretty well last week as well.

ServoBillieves
09-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Anderson's sack and Kyle's sack... Mario had NOTHING to do with right?

Blondie
09-23-2012, 03:52 PM
From what I see... and remember I am just a girl..

I see a guy who is out there playing it safe.

He has a paycheck to protect.

He had a good game today but we will really see his worth against the 49ers and the Pats.

BuffaloWingEater
09-23-2012, 03:58 PM
mario had a good game. 1.5 sacks and helped lead to other sacks. he was being held a lot as well.

lightningbolt444
09-23-2012, 04:04 PM
He is not going to get a Sack Every play like many want him to. Sometimes he may not even have good games what matters is what he does over the whole season. Just because you pay a guy 100 million does not mean he is going to get 25 Sacks a season and smash the sack record.

One thing I think everyone is overlooking is how well our D has looked against the run. It is like watching a completely different team and Mario is a big reason why.

Would you rather have paid Brees like the Saints did only to go 0-3 to start the season? What would you be saying if you were a fan of that team? Or how about Manning and throwing 3 ints last week. ALL great players have times where they struggle it is part of the game.

Blondie
09-23-2012, 04:12 PM
IMO... and I may be wrong .. but with him playing it safe the way he has... he got paid a ton more and produce less than expected.

Do I wanna see me make a sack every play? No.

I do however want to see him in every play going after that qb and making that qb look out the corner of his eye every play not knowing whether Mario is going to get free and get his Ass. I do want to see sacks and tackles ... I want to see the offensive fear him.

For a hundred million.. I want to see more.

SquishDaFish
09-23-2012, 04:26 PM
But they do fear him. Go back and watch he is double or tripled just about EVERY play. Last year it was Dareus that got that and now Dareus and Kyle are singled in the middle. He frees up everyone else and still makes plays. When the rest of the DL starts dominating he will get freed up and make his sacks. The man who deserves some of your hash comments is the sack machine Anderson.

Blondie
09-23-2012, 04:30 PM
How about this..

I want to hear the announcer of the game say his name so many times that everyone knows he is the man of that defense.

I want him to be the leader.

I don't want others paving the way for him.

SquishDaFish
09-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I dont see any problems with the defensive line To be honest. Very happy with their play. Now the Secondary is a whole nother story.

BuffaloWingEater
09-23-2012, 04:42 PM
i think we also need to remember that mario missed almost all of last year. it takes time to get back into it. i think he will get stronger as the season goes on. he has gotten stronger each game so far.

JoeMama
09-23-2012, 04:42 PM
No one who likes Mario will admit he sucks.

No one who hates Mario will admit he's good.

This whole argument is pointless.

jimmifli
09-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Mario Williams is copper.

JoeMama
09-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Mario Williams is copper.

Then unless you're Chilean, you won't ever like Mario.

Blondie
09-23-2012, 05:06 PM

I don't know anything about the guy.

I don't really follow stats the way you guys do.

I just call it as I see it.

Fixxxer
09-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm glad he's our fool's gold.

coastal
09-23-2012, 05:18 PM

This whole argument is pointless.so because there's entrenched sides of an argument, having the argumentis somehow pointless?

Historian
09-23-2012, 05:19 PM
The D line is a good unit...thats all I care about

Slim
09-23-2012, 05:23 PM
The D line is a good unit...thats all I care about

Agreed. 9 sacks the last two games I think. Plus, the run defense has been fantastic through three weeks,

SquishDaFish
09-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Agreed. 9 sacks the last two games I think. Plus, the run defense has been fantastic through three weeks,

Thats what Im talking about. The Tards who are finding stuff to complain about with the units that are playing well are DUMB

JoeMama
09-23-2012, 09:20 PM
so because there's entrenched sides of an argument, having the argumentis somehow pointless?

No, it is a good argument.

Just not on this website.

chernobylwraiths
09-23-2012, 09:26 PM
IMO... and I may be wrong .. but with him playing it safe the way he has... he got paid a ton more and produce less than expected.

Do I wanna see me make a sack every play? No.

I do however want to see him in every play going after that qb and making that qb look out the corner of his eye every play not knowing whether Mario is going to get free and get his Ass. I do want to see sacks and tackles ... I want to see the offensive fear him.

For a hundred million.. I want to see more.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about, and it has nothing to do with you being a girl.

The defense is leaps and bounds better this year, and Mario is one of the reasons why. Sacks will come.

better days
09-23-2012, 09:48 PM
From what I see... and remember I am just a girl.

Well, when it comes to football, I think girls are GREAT for leading cheers, keeping the snacks from running out & the drinks refreshed.

Blondie
09-23-2012, 09:59 PM
You don't know what the hell you're talking about, and it has nothing to do with you being a girl.

The defense is leaps and bounds better this year, and Mario is one of the reasons why. Sacks will come.

I hope you are right.. I hope sacks WILL come.

Considering y'all are 3 games in and he hasnt done anything major yet that just says a lot.

Players get paid big bucks because they make big plays. He hasn't made one.

But like you say the D is looking good and sacks WILL come.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, when it comes to football, I think girls are GREAT for leading cheers, keeping the snacks from running out & the drinks refreshed.

Good for you.

TrEd FTW
09-23-2012, 10:20 PM
I hope you are right.. I hope sacks WILL come.

Players get paid big bucks because they make big plays. He hasn't made one.

1.5 sacks today. Pay attention.

chernobylwraiths
09-24-2012, 04:24 AM
And compairing him to Bruce Smith is assinine. The only similarities between he and Bruce are that they both play defensive end (though opposite sides) and they both were the number one pick in the draft. Bruce is considered by many to be one of the greatest defensive ends of all time, so let's give that a rest.

He gets paid what he gets paid, using that as a scale to how good he should be is stupid.

He has looked better each week.

Night Train
09-24-2012, 04:29 AM
I thought he had a very good game yesterday and showed lots of pressure that caused others to make plays last week. The only flat performance was the opener.

The line is getting better each week as a unit.

feldspar
09-24-2012, 05:09 AM
From what I see... and remember I am just a girl..

I see a guy who is out there playing it safe.

He has a paycheck to protect.

He had a good game today but we will really see his worth against the 49ers and the Pats.

Mario doesn't need to protect his contract. He's already stinking rich, and his current contract includes $50 million of guaranteed money...$50 million.

Anybody that has a problem with Mario being on this team is just being dumb. Who cares how much he makes? It's not your money, and it would likely have gone unspent had we not given it to him. The guy probably needs to shake some rust off after being out for almost a whole year, as well as adjusting to a new team...kinda like Peyton Manning.

Blondie
09-24-2012, 08:40 AM
1.5 sacks today. Pay attention.

I do pay attention ..

He had 1.5 sacks in ONE game his other 2 games He had ZERO sacks.

ZERO .. let me repeat that ONE more time ZERO sacks.

And they were against the JETS, the CHIEFS and the BROWNS .. your 3 easiest games so far. I can ONLY imagine what he is gonna do against the PATS and the 49ers!

I hope for your sake the PATS suck it again next week!

Wouldn't want pretty boy Mario to actually have to get down and play hard and maybe get dirty! LOL ..

Blondie
09-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Mario doesn't need to protect his contract. He's already stinking rich, and his current contract includes $50 million of guaranteed money...$50 million.

Yeah because guys like him are always smart about their money. LOL ..

He has a paycheck to protect.. if he gets seriously injured and is out another year his career is over.

Joe Fo Sho
09-24-2012, 08:48 AM
I do pay attention ..

And they were against the JETS, the CHIEFS and the BROWNS .. your 3 easiest games so far. I can ONLY imagine what he is gonna do against the PATS and the 49ers!

Wouldn't want pretty boy Mario to actually have to get down and play hard and maybe get dirty! LOL ..

It's been 3 games...let me repeat that, 3 games. Calm down, Coastal.

Blondie
09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
It's been 3 games...let me repeat that, 3 games. Calm down, Coastal.

Did you hear the interview last night with Joe Flacco?? Where he stated he was better than Tom Brady .. everyone laughed even Coastal did and thought that was pretty cocky of him.

I said GOOD for him to have that attitude! I bet he beats Brady tonight .. 3rd quarter rolls around and the PATS were up by I think 2 touch downs .. coastal turns off the game and says see ... GUESS what?? While I was on my way dropping the kids off at school he calls and says: " you were right I was wrong" .. I said about what?? He said the Ravens won and Flacco had a better game than Brady!

I knew the guy would do it .. you can see it in how they play and how they take charge and how they lead the team.

Mario ain't doing that. Sure it has ONLY been 3 games, but they were against 3 teams you all knew you would win. They were the "easy" games. If this is how he is playing against the "easy" teams how do you think he will play against the real teams..

Y'all should have beat the JETS.. **** Miami's rookie QB almost beat the JETS yesterday .. their damn kicker missed the field goal in OT!

If they hadn't paid him as much as they did .. this wouldn't even be a discussion.

You are suppose to get what ya pay for. they paid top dollar for the best and their best has 1.5 sacks .. :chuckle:

He is no different than Peyton Manning .. Broncos paid BIG bucks for him and look at him play .. PATHETIC... (which I am REALLY happy about!)

mysticsoto
09-24-2012, 10:21 AM
I do pay attention ..

I think you & Coastal need to pay attention to the fact that sacks aren't everything. How he helps his teammates gets sacks is a big deal too. How he helps collapse the pocket...how he stops the run...how he hurries the QB into throwing before he wants to...those are all intangibles that don't show up on a stat sheet directly toward him. But they are showing up as a stat on the unit as a whole. And the unit, as a whole, is working, which is more important than individual stats!!!

Blondie
09-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Ok.. I went and looked up his stats.. he is on his projected target. He is projected to have 37 tackles this year.. so that is 2.3 per game... and thats where he is at after game 3.

So as long as he continues then he is worth the money.

So I will go a little easier.. ok. :-)

Joe Fo Sho
09-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Did you hear the interview last night with Joe Flacco?? Where he stated he was better than Tom Brady .. everyone laughed even Coastal did and thought that was pretty cocky of him.

I said GOOD for him to have that attitude! I bet he beats Brady tonight .. 3rd quarter rolls around and the PATS were up by I think 2 touch downs .. coastal turns off the game and says see ... GUESS what?? While I was on my way dropping the kids off at school he calls and says: " you were right I was wrong" .. I said about what?? He said the Ravens won and Flacco had a better game than Brady!

I knew the guy would do it .. you can see it in how they play and how they take charge and how they lead the team.

Mario ain't doing that. Sure it has ONLY been 3 games, but they were against 3 teams you all knew you would win. They were the "easy" games. If this is how he is playing against the "easy" teams how do you think he will play against the real teams..

Y'all should have beat the JETS.. **** Miami's rookie QB almost beat the JETS yesterday .. their damn kicker missed the field goal in OT!

If they hadn't paid him as much as they did .. this wouldn't even be a discussion.

You are suppose to get what ya pay for. they paid top dollar for the best and their best has 1.5 sacks .. :chuckle:

He is no different than Peyton Manning .. Broncos paid BIG bucks for him and look at him play .. PATHETIC... (which I am REALLY happy about!)

So Flacco thinks he's better than Brady, does that mean he ACTUALLY is? Nope, you're (I mean Coastal) still wrong.

It's Mario's fault we lost to the Jets?

You should stop looking at only the sack stat and WATCH how the rest of our D-Line has improved because of the addition of Mario. I'd tell you to ask your 'husband' about it, but I don't think he gets it either.

Blondie
09-24-2012, 02:01 PM
You should stop looking at only the sack stat and WATCH how the rest of our D-Line has improved because of the addition of Mario. I'd tell you to ask your 'husband' about it, but I don't think he gets it either.

Did you read my last post??

I said I would go easy on the guy if he continues what he is doing??

and people give me **** for not reading ... :sigh:

djjimkelly
09-24-2012, 02:14 PM
hes drawing doubles has 1.5 sacks and others are stepping up like kyle williams and dareus in fact everyone has looked good since the jets game

they are all a byproduct of each other and we actually get pressure now unlike other years

the mario signing is a win for the bills!!!

YardRat
09-24-2012, 02:27 PM
The defense is going to get 40-50 sacks, which is a vast improvement over last season. The run defense is also better, although not yet what one could call dominant. The stats will come, as long as everybody stays relatively healthy. Also, they might read a little bit differently if Wannstadt would mix things up a little bit more, and send more guys on occasion. I don't care how good a team's front four is on their own, unless they are going against really ****ty olines the 4 on 5 wins aren't going to come as regularly as some would expect. You've got to send different guys, at different times, and keep the offensive line, backs, and especially the QB guessing. At least we've seen some line stunts the last couple of games, which was literally non-existent against the Jets. I'm not worried about Mario's individual stats nearly as much as I am the performance and results of the entire unit.

Joe Fo Sho
09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Did you read my last post??

I said I would go easy on the guy if he continues what he is doing??

and people give me **** for not reading ... :sigh:

I assumed that was sarcasm, as you ripped him for not being good, then looked up his projected stats and decided that he was projected to not be good.

Blondie
09-24-2012, 02:42 PM
I assumed that was sarcasm, as you ripped him for not being good, then looked up his projected stats and decided that he was projected to not be good.

With the day I am having I can see if you felt some sarcasm in my post .. LOL

However I was being serious.

His first two games were not good. That is unarguable. However, when I looked at his projected stats and did the math he is right on target. So I said I would go easy. It is kind of hard to argue when you break down the stats and go by them.

I still think he looks like a player who is playing it safe and wanting to protect his paycheck.

He was injured in 2010 and was out for the rest of the year. He was injured again in 2011 and out for the rest of the year .. I am sure he does not want an injury cuz if he goes out again on injury his career will be done. And maybe that is why I see someone who is playing it safe out there.

Joe Fo Sho
09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
With the day I am having I can see if you felt some sarcasm in my post .. LOL

However I was being serious.

His first two games were not good. That is unarguable. However, when I looked at his projected stats and did the math he is right on target. So I said I would go easy. It is kind of hard to argue when you break down the stats and go by them.

I still think he looks like a player who is playing it safe and wanting to protect his paycheck.

He was injured in 2010 and was out for the rest of the year. He was injured again in 2011 and out for the rest of the year .. I am sure he does not want an injury cuz if he goes out again on injury his career will be done. And maybe that is why I see someone who is playing it safe out there.

I'm curious about the 'protecting his paycheck' argument.

I understand that some people don't know how to manage their finances, however if he's trying to protect his paycheck then he understands that his money won't come forever. I also thought that there was an 'easy' out for the Bills after 2 or 3 years without costing them a ton of cap space. Does anyone know about that?

If that is true, then he needs to play WELL in order to protect his paycheck, instead of playing safe.

Blondie
09-30-2012, 02:08 PM
What does this guy do... all I see is him dancing around.

For his pay his Ass should be all over Brady.

Blondie
09-30-2012, 02:20 PM
I think Mario and #76 should get a room so they can make out.

BuffaloWingEater
09-30-2012, 02:43 PM
he was invisible today and seemed disinterested when things went south :(

Luisito23
09-30-2012, 03:02 PM
He got his 1 sack last week, just give him 'till week 10 to get another one, and then he'll show all the doubters he's worth his contract.

Blondie
09-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Patriots his first real test..

Man I can only imagine what he'll do against the 49ers..

Like I sad he has a paycheck to protect and that is more important ... loser

coastal
09-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Anyone? Bueller?

2 tackles.. Single teamed...

All.

Day.

long... Again.

$100 million.

u can all shampoo my crotch.

Blondie
09-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Anyone? Bueller?

2 tackles.. Single teamed...

All.

Day.

long... Again.

$100 million.

u can all shampoo my crotch.

Darn it... if I knew going against you would have led to your crotch I would have been all over that!!

Generalissimus Gibby
09-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Dareus and Kyle showed some life today and did make a couple first half plays before they joined the rest of the D in just giving in in the second half. However, yeah Coasty, Mario is a waste. He's done some good things this year, but I cannot justify him paying 100 mill

coastal
09-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Dareus and Kyle showed some life today and did make a couple first half plays before they joined the rest of the D in just giving in in the second half. However, yeah Coasty, Mario is a waste. He's done some good things this year, but I cannot justify him paying 100 mill
Thank u.

next step... Getting the rest of the "at least we're relevant" crowd on board.

the "Super Mario" mouth breathers are hopeless.

Luisito23
09-30-2012, 03:43 PM
LOL, where are all those people that were defending him?

billsburgh
09-30-2012, 03:47 PM
the biggest thing I've noticed while watching Williams is how slow he is off the ball. He has no burst or explosion off the line and is easily blocked every play.

Jeff1220
09-30-2012, 03:50 PM
the biggest thing I've noticed while watching Williams is how slow he is off the ball. He has no burst or explosion off the line and is easily blocked every play.

Watching him today, he would just stand up and watch the play go by. Wth?

Blondie
09-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Watching him today, he would just stand up and watch the play go by. Wth?

Maybe he was afraid of getting hurt??

Mr. Cynical
09-30-2012, 04:34 PM
I was at the Jets game and Mario phoned it in. Period.
He had a decent game last week, I'll give him that.
Today he was again phoning it in.

Can anyone say Haynesworth II?

Mr. Pink
09-30-2012, 04:37 PM
I was at the Jets game and Mario phoned it in. Period.
He had a decent game last week, I'll give him that.
Today he was again phoning it in.

Can anyone say Haynesworth II?

It just seems like anyone who gets paid by this organization the past 4-5 years goes from Ok-good to outright crap.

Baffling.

Blondie
09-30-2012, 04:43 PM
It just seems like anyone who gets paid by this organization the past 4-5 years goes from Ok-good to outright crap.

Baffling.

Maybe it's because they get them when they're no longer at their best?

Mr. Pink
09-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Maybe it's because they get them when they're no longer at their best?

Are you saying Fitz is no longer at his best? He's part of that equation too.

Turf
09-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Right now he looks like a guy we cut, Maybin. He has one move, pass rush outside, and gets pushed behind the QB over and over again.

Blondie
09-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Are you saying Fitz is no longer at his best? He's part of that equation too.

No.

But Mario's bests is long gone and the bills thought maybe if we pay him $100 million he will find his best again... lol... yeah right!

starrymessenger
09-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Wilfork's wife would get to the QB before Mario.

coastal
09-30-2012, 07:01 PM
He's on pace for 6 sacks.

Six.

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Scheme.

coastal
09-30-2012, 07:14 PM
I didn't play football growing up.

I played hockey... half the time with one arm hanging out of its socket. I left everything I had out on the ice every time i played and didn't stop until I lost my medical clearance to play because of my shoulder.

Mario is a butt-****ing quitter.

I never was.

what else do u have?

coastal
09-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Scheme.
Did u watch him today?

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Did u watch him today?

I did and I have two points;

1. He's not 100% or really all that close and I dont know if that's the injury or a lack of conditioning
2. Our scheme is not built for his style

coastal
09-30-2012, 07:34 PM

1. He's not 100% or really all that close and I dont know if that's the injury or a lack of conditioning
2. Our scheme is not built for his styleif you're a defensive linemen in the NFL... my guess is your always injured.

so we spent $100 million on someone who doesn't fit what we want to do? Either that or we spent $100 million and refuse to put him in a position to succeed?!

either way... Dysfunctional organization and a scam on Ralph's part to show his fan (revenue) base that they're committed.

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 07:39 PM
if you're a defensive linemen in the NFL... my guess is your always injured.

so we spent $100 million on someone who doesn't fit what we want to do? Either that or we spent $100 million and refuse to put him in a position to succeed?!

either way... Dysfunctional organization and a scam on Ralph's part to show his fan (revenue) base that they're committed.

1-Well yes always nicked up but this is different something is not right, and its not his lack of stats, just watching him he doesn't look 100%

2-No I agree, while I love the signing why you bring Mario into a scheme that calls for the DE's to get up field and have no concern for gap responsibility is beyond me. He's not a Julius Peppers like freak in terms of speed and burst. He's a power guy who can beat the RT with his athleticism. Our scheme doesn't allow him to do what he does best.

Jeff1220
10-01-2012, 08:04 AM
The whole line was slow off the snap yesterday, including MW. The difference I saw was that the rest of the line usually appeared to try on most plays. On most plays I watched MW take a step or two, stand up, and watch the play go by.

Mahdi
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM

2. Our scheme is not built for his style

The scheme excuse makes no sense to be honest. He is a DE in a 4-3 playing the same position he played in college. He needs to beat the OT and pressure the QB. No matter what the scheme he has to do that. And he isn't.

Scheme has ZERO to do with it. And its irrelevant because he is playing DE in a 4-3 which is what he knows.

All that being said, he is definitely playing hurt. You can see that his left wrist is padded and heavily taped. He is probably having difficulty pushing off and disengaging.

Apparently he injured it in pre-season.

Jeff1220
10-01-2012, 08:20 AM
The scheme excuse makes no sense to be honest. He is a DE in a 4-3 playing the same position he played in college. He needs to beat the OT and pressure the QB. No matter what the scheme he has to do that. And he isn't.

Scheme has ZERO to do with it. And its irrelevant because he is playing DE in a 4-3 which is what he knows.

All that being said, he is definitely playing hurt. You can see that his left wrist is padded and heavily taped. He is probably having difficulty pushing off and disengaging.

I agree that scheme is no excuse, but neither is injury. If he's injured enough to be that ineffective, he shouldn't be on the field. Plenty of good DEs have played hurt and gotten the job done.

Mahdi
10-01-2012, 08:37 AM
I agree that scheme is no excuse, but neither is injury. If he's injured enough to be that ineffective, he shouldn't be on the field. Plenty of good DEs have played hurt and gotten the job done.

I agree he should be doing more despite the injury however injury does affect your game. If his wrist is in fact messed up then all that hand fighting DEs need to do will be a losing battle for him.

jdaltroy5
10-01-2012, 08:43 AM
You may be on to something with this "fool's gold" thread.

He certainly hasn't done much to warrant a starting spot, let alone the biggest contract of the offseason.

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 10:55 AM

No it has a lot to do with it. The 43 is simply the alignment, the assignment or role you ask your DE's to take. Like asking a power DE to run up the field 5-7 yards matters greatly.

Mahdi
10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
No it has a lot to do with it. The 43 is simply the alignment, the assignment or role you ask your DE's to take. Like asking a power DE to run up the field 5-7 yards matters greatly.

Mario Williams is not just a Power DE, he has speed too. And many of his sacks come through speed rushes. Power is a big part of his game but he obviously doesn't have that right now with that wrist injury.

Bottom line, is I watch Mario attack the OT in every way possible and nothing is working for him. He needs to sit till he sorts out his injury.

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Mario Williams is not just a Power DE, he has speed too. And many of his sacks come through speed rushes. Power is a big part of his game but he obviously doesn't have that right now with that wrist injury.

Bottom line, is I watch Mario attack the OT in every way possible and nothing is working for him. He needs to sit till he sorts out his injury.

Yes he's athletic for a power DE, but he's not Julius Peppers out there, nor was he ever. That's a large misconception.

I agree the injury is an issue still, but so is the way we are trying to make him rush. Let him play with his gap assignment and work inside and out, not just outside as he does on the large majority of his snaps.

billsburgh
10-01-2012, 12:24 PM
are we talking about the injury from last year that cost him most of the season or is this a new injury that the team has been quiet about? If it is the old injury from last year, the Bills medical staff should be strung up for giving their OK to signing him to that ridiculous contract.

Yes he's athletic for a power DE, but he's not Julius Peppers out there, nor was he ever. That's a large misconception.

I agree the injury is an issue still, but so is the way we are trying to make him rush. Let him play with his gap assignment and work inside and out, not just outside as he does on the large majority of his snaps.

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 12:25 PM
are we talking about the injury from last year that cost him most of the season or is this a new injury that the team has been quiet about? If it is the old injury from last year, the Bills medical staff should be strung up for giving their OK to signing him to that ridiculous contract.

Old, the pectoral injury could be affecting his power off the ball which has always been phenomenal.

Mahdi
10-01-2012, 12:34 PM

I was talking about the new one he picked up in preseason. Apparently he injured his wrist badly and they kept it quiet and have been downplaying it.

I think his wrist is more injured than we know and that would explain his inability to get off blocks.

stuckincincy
10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
I was talking about the new one he picked up in preseason. Apparently he injured his wrist badly and they kept it quiet and have been downplaying it.

I think his wrist is more injured than we know and that would explain his inability to get off blocks.

More than a few folks questioned the mega-contract signing of a player with declining stats - especially tackles - in games played after 2009.

X-Era
10-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Frankly, Mario doesn't need to get double digit sacks for me to be satisfied. He simply has to play solid. His presence alone adds legitimacy to our team as far as the media is concerned (right or wrong). That brings attention our way. That helps with attracting more talent, getting media attention, and raising excitement. All of that is very good for this team.

The benefit of having Mario reaches beyond the football field. It may be one if the single most impactful moves on the future of this franchise in the past 10 years at least.

coastal
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Frankly, Mario doesn't need to get double digit sacks for me to be satisfied. He simply has to play solid. His presence alone adds legitimacy to our team as far as the media is concerned (right or wrong). That brings attention our way. That helps with attracting more talent, getting media attention, and raising excitement. All of that is very good for this team.

The benefit of having Mario reaches beyond the football field. It may be one if the single most impactful moves on the future of this franchise in the past 10 years at least.time for a coastal cleanse...

SABURZFAN
10-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I didn't play football growing up.

I played hockey... half the time with one arm hanging out of its socket.

was that from too much masturbating or too many reach arounds?

coastal
10-07-2012, 06:23 PM
2 more tackles again today.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2012, 06:25 PM
The only fool is Ralph Wilson for giving that dude 50M guaranteed.

coastal
10-07-2012, 06:30 PM
The only fool is Ralph Wilson for giving that dude 50M guaranteed.
The fans aren't fools for buying it?

Blondie
10-07-2012, 06:51 PM

No.

You are a fan not a decision maker.

DynaPaul
10-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Glad I didn't buy any tickets this year! Show me results... not free agent signings.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2012, 06:53 PM

No.

You are a fan not a decision maker.

I wasn't as excited as many on this board were for signing that guy. Thought we overpaid. But it's not my choice to pay a dude that kind of dollars. He fit a need and the money spent on him at least went to the players on the field and not in Ralphie's pocket. Why blame a fan about getting hyped up about signing the best or at the least the best defensive player in FA last year to play here?

coastal
10-07-2012, 06:56 PM
I wasn't as excited as many on this board were for signing that guy. Thought we overpaid. But it's not my choice to pay a dude that kind of dollars. He fit a need and the money spent on him at least went to the players on the field and not in Ralphie's pocket. Why blame a fan about getting hyped up about signing the best or at the least the best defensive player in FA last year to play here?
Because it was a dumb decision... like so many others before it.

and once fans stop buying into the crap OBD sells, then and only then will there be real change.

Blondie
10-15-2012, 09:08 AM
well he is up to 14 tackles! He is projected to have 37!

He is suppose to average 2.31 tackles per game to stay in par and he is at 2.8 tackles per game ... and he has 3.5 sacks ( 2 from yesterday ) would have LOVED if it would have been Brady but it appears he is earning his money..

I personally would like to see more .. maybe because coming off those 2 nasty losses where the defense allowed an insane amount of points ...

thought now on how Mario's is playing ..

:popcorn:

mysticsoto
10-15-2012, 09:12 AM
well he is up to 14 tackles! He is projected to have 37!

He is suppose to average 2.31 tackles per game to stay in par and he is at 2.8 tackles per game ... and he has 3.5 sacks ( 2 from yesterday ) would have LOVED if it would have been Brady but it appears he is earning his money..

I personally would like to see more .. maybe because coming off those 2 nasty losses where the defense allowed an insane amount of points ...

thought now on how Mario's is playing ..

:popcorn:

I thought he was robbed of a sack yesterday - when Kolb threw the ball out on his way down. I thought it should have been ruled a sack...