PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Impressions

Mike
09-10-2012, 02:21 AM
So what did you think of week 1? Each team is ranked in their respective divisions and here are my impressions:

AFC East
Pats: Watch out it looks like their Defense is rejuvenated. If their D plays this well all season long, Brady and Co will be playing in another SB. What a way to draft! Both 1st rounders impressed. This is what the Pats needed. On a down note, it seems like the beginning of the end for Wes Walker.

Jets: Don't be fooled, they are really not this good. They will compete for a playoff spot, borderline playoff team. Hill looked very good. Quentin had more pressures than Mario and the Jets coasted in a blowout.

Bills: Not good and to add insult to injury, Jackson is injured again along with a few of their WR. On paper they should have been better, hell on Madden they are a borderline playoff team. But, this is not Madden and games arent played on paper. In an ironically absurd way I am not surprised by the defensive performance. Things need to change, forget the C2 and scheme.

Dolphins: Wow, were they bad. They are like the Bills on offense except they have a better QB. This is a growing season for them, don't expect much.

AFC North
Baltimore: DNP

Pittsburg: Played well, kept Manning off the field and dominated time of possession but could not score when it really counted. Expect them to have the typical Pittsburg season. Make the playoffs, and get bounced out in round 1 or 2.

Cincinnati: DNP

Cleveland: Dreadful. The offense... what offense??? The defense looked good, or was it Mike Vick that made them look good? Another woeful season. Bills fans you are not alone, the season has also ended for the other Erie team...

AFC South
Houston: Sadly, the window that just opened is quickly closing. They need to win, and they need to win now. I expect more from them in the playoffs maybe even getting to Championship game. A. Johnson is back!

Jacksonville: Good game for Gabbert. There is something I don't like about him. He seems bulky and slow however I do expect for the Jags to be competitive this season.

Tennessee: Another one of those mid tier teams that is going nowhere. They might get really really lucky and lose a playoff game. But that would be a great season. Locker is hurt, CJ2K looks like he did last year, and the team is barely good.

Colts: They will improve. Luck had over 300 yards passing. He outplayed Fitz.. lol. Ok, I know thats not saying much, so lets just say he had the 3rd most passing yards in NFL history for rookie QB in his first game. With time, those INTs will turn in TDs. Wayne looked great.

AFC West
Denver: Definatly looked the part of contender. They, for some reason, reminded me of those Bronco teams in the mid 90's. Just got that feeling all over again. I remember a season opener when the Bills lost to the Broncos and they went on to win it (if i remember correctly). All in all, very good Offense and Defense now lets see what they do with it. Can you imaging another Championship game between Brady and Manning, but this time both of them have great Defenses?

KC: Lost to a much much better team. Puts it in perpective. They are talented but not good enough. They good players are not elite which usually leads to one thing: good season but nothing to show for it.

San Diego: DNP
Oakland: DNP

NFC East
Cowboys: Their offense is clicking on all cylinders. Murray looked great, just hope that he does not get injured again. The passing attack reminded me of the TO days and the Defense looks much improved. If this is who they are, expect them to make some noise -some- in the playoffs.

Giants: This is such a strange team. They sneak into the playoffs and win a SB, twice! They looked flat and nothing like the team that won those games. However, I would not be surprised if the Giants won another SB this year, nor would I be surprised if they missed the playoffs.

Redskins: RGIII! Great game. 40pts that was impressive so much so its never been done before by a rookie QB in his debut. Last year the Redskins started well, but fell short simply because their QB play was dreadful. This year it can be different. The defense is good, now it looks like the offense is also good. The coaching fits the QB to a tee and I would not be surprised if the Redskins made some noise this year, upset a few good teams -like today- and made the playoffs.

Eagles: All those offensive weapons and it them 60 min to put away the Browns -who are started a rookie QB? Vick looks like a shell of himself, throwing 4ints, and looking like a rookie himself. The Defense played well, albeit vs a poor offense, but totally not impressed from a team that proclaimed itself "the Dream Team" one short season ago.

NFC North
Green Bay: Remember the Packers before they won the SB? Their offense was great, even then, but for some strange reason they found ways to lose games. Their talent was exceptional but their record was silghtly above average. Then they sneak into the playoffs, thanks to a Lions win over Tampa Bay, and go on to win it all! Then last year, they go 15-1 only to lose at home. So who are they? Are they the SB winner who went 15-1 or the team that barely got into the playoffs the year they won the SB, the team that lost to the Giants last year, and the team that lost today to the 49ers?

Chicago: What you may have forgotten is that Da Bears started out 7-2 last year before taking a page of the Bills book and suffering a slew of injuries -including Cutler. This year, I think they are even better than last years 7-2 start. Don't be surprised if they seriously challenge the Packers for the Division or upset some major favorites in the playoffs.

Detroit: I want to believe in them. I really do. I see all those weapons on offense, and that D-Line and I get excited then I watch them play and it takes them until the last drive to put away a poor Rams team. And, this is not an anomaly. Last year they did this 4 times. What this means to me is that they are best when Defenses are not taking chances, which means that they struggle for the first 58 minutes of a game vs this pressure which is not the mark of a true contended. They are a borderline playoff team. They may or may not get in the playoffs, but even if they do, dont expect much.

Minnesota: Ponder is on his way and Peterson is back. Wait a few years, and this could become a very good team.

NFC South:
Atlanta: Looked dominating. J.Jones takes this team to the next level. I would not be surprised if they win the division and have a very deep playoff fun.

New Orleans: Interesting loss. Very interesting, they had their chances, but their Achilles heel was exposed today, and when its exposed and taken advantage off, the Saints simply lose.

Panthers: So much for offseason proclamations of an imminent SB win. Lets make the playoffs first. Cam was good, but not great. Outside of Smith there were no weapons and where was the running game? Two former 1,000yard rushes combines for 2 yards in the 3rd Quarter! The offense relies too much on Cam and Smith. On a bright note, the Defense looked good today and held them in the game. I expect improvement in their record, but Cam wont surprise anyone this season and the Panthers still lack talent.

Tampa Bay: Good Start. They needed this win. New weapons produced and the real question remains, can they get back to that team that was on the brink a few short seasons ago?

NFC West
49ers: Looked Great, Dominant, etc. That defense reminds me of the Ravens defense holding last years top offense and league MVP to 7 points in the 3rd quarter. Whats even more scary is that they now have found their offense. Moss made a difference, Manningham contributed, and the offense produced. Heck Alex Smith outplayed Rogers and the 49ers rolled the Packers. Expectations are now sky high, as in SB win high. They are now the clear favorites in the NFC.

Cardinals: Tale of two halves and a dejavu moment once again - Cards QB gets injured and back up leads them to TD drive only to have the other team go down the field with Referee help [remember last year?] and lose, well almost WR dropped a TD in end zone. So, its not exactly like last year, and lets hope that stays that way. The defense looked good, the offense looked better, but once again they are playing they back-up QB. I expect them to do their best imitation of the Bills and go 8-8.

Rams: They were very close to winning. They did everything but win! Bradford looked like a former 1st overall pick. They are not far from adding some weapons and becoming competitive, after all they have the most valuable piece of the puzzle QB. Wait a few years and we might see a 2017 version of the greatest show on turf, or will it be grass? Who knows, they might move to LA.

Seahawks: Good second half comeback. Very nicely done with a rookie QB, 3rd round pick, R. Wilson who would have lead the Seahawks to a game wining drive -with referee help- if it was not for 2 drops in the end zone. That 2!

Luisito23
09-10-2012, 02:24 AM
Bills lost, that's all I care about.

Marcala12
09-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Bills lost, that's all I care about.

they do a lot more than they win; this is why most of us have found another outlet so as not let the Bills ruin the best sport in the world for us, like fantasy football OR rooting for a couple of players that we like, or rooting against the Pats...or just following the entire league.

OP, i enjoyed the write up and you pointed some things out i wasn't aware of, good job.