PDA

View Full Version : Blow for Barkley?

Mike
09-10-2012, 03:06 AM
Should Bills Blow for Barkley? Im sure, outside of a few delusional fans, we all know that the Bills arent going to win a SB anytime soon. We also know that if your going to blow for a player, you gotta start early. If its week 8 and you 3-5 it might be way to late. So, seeing how the last few top QB picks have played over the last few years, should Bills Blow for Barkley?

Generalissimus Gibby
09-10-2012, 05:17 AM
No, you do something to correct the 4 turnovers that led to 24 points and you fix that special teams blunder that allowed an easy seven on the punt return. Take away those 31 points all caused by mental gaffes and you win.

DBrown77
09-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Seriously? Cmon its week 1.

TacklingDummy
09-10-2012, 06:03 AM
If I knew the season was going to end up 6-10, I'd rather go 0-16 and suck for the top pick in each round.

SabreEleven
09-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Seriously? Cmon its week 1.

No, it's actually 12 years plus Week 1

TacklingDummy
09-10-2012, 06:27 AM
The Colts should have took RG3

DraftBoy
09-10-2012, 07:23 AM
No there are a number of top tier QB prospects this year and Barkley isn't as seperated from the group as Luck and RGIII were last year.

Coach Sal
09-10-2012, 07:29 AM
1. No. Wanting to lose is stupid. It's even more stupid when you start rooting to lose after Week One.

2. After watching Barkley Saturday against Syracuse, I'm not nearly as high on him as I used to be. I saw him do nothing but throw screen passes and fades to NFL-caliber WRs. Nothing really 15-20 yards down the field that impressed me any more than any other veteran college QB I see every weekend. In fact, I was unimpressed with several of those throws. He threw for a lot of yards and TDs, but the bulk of the yards came after those incredible receivers caught the ball - at the line of scrimmage for many of them - and ran with it. A couple of the fades were nice touch passes, but Woods and Lee make it a lot easier to connect on those. To be honest, after watching that game, I'm thinking either of those 2 guys would help this team ore than Barkley would.

Joe Fo Sho
09-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Threads like this make me hate people.

Figster
09-10-2012, 11:25 AM
No, but we should be prepared to do a Ditka for Barkley

jdaltroy5
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
It's freaking week one. You don't pack it in after one game and if you do, I don't want you on the team I root for.

I start cheering for losses after we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Bangarang
09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Barkley is a Mark Sanchez clone.

Lets go with Tyler Bray. Pray for Bray has a better ring to it anyway.

DrGraves
09-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes. It is time for a franchise QB. Most of the teams in the league have a stud qb. We fill never compete until we do too. This team is not good enough to overcome Fitz throwing the ball to the wrong team.

Barb
09-10-2012, 12:31 PM
No, you do something to correct the 4 turnovers that led to 24 points and you fix that special teams blunder that allowed an easy seven on the punt return. Take away those 31 points all caused by mental gaffes and you win.

man you are just delusional...

Bill Cody
09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
No, you do something to correct the 4 turnovers that led to 24 points

We would but Jackson doesn't know the offense yet and Pig Pen is even worse

don137
09-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I rather trade up like the skins, the Cowboys did for for Claiborne, the Falcons did for Julio Jones last year, etc. They say it's a good year for QBs so trading up will be possible with a team that will suck and not need a QB (fins, Colts, etc).

Philagape
09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
No, you do something to correct the 4 turnovers that led to 24 points

Like get a new quarterback.

BertSquirtgum
09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
I voted NO. Losing sucks. I want a franchise qb but losing will never be OK with me.

Mouldsie
09-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Not a Barkley fan.

Also, this season is not over.

kingJofNYC
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Geno Smith, bring Holgorsen over as well, Chan looks cooked.

DraftBoy
09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Geno Smith, bring Holgorsen over as well, Chan looks cooked.

Im not sure the city of Buffalo is ready for Holgo.

gebobs
09-10-2012, 02:11 PM
LOL...that's pretty facile. Take away all those easy points and the Jets don't start taking a powder on defense. Yesterday was a debacle. Turnovers and special teams were just two of the 16 wheels that came off the Buffalo Bills broken down semi.

ThunderGun
09-10-2012, 02:20 PM
No, they probably want an SEC QB (Wilson?) anyways...

k-oneputt
09-10-2012, 02:26 PM
No, they probably want an SEC QB (Wilson?) anyways...

That's good. I'll take Bray or Wilson.

ThunderGun
09-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Me too. I like what I've seen from Wilson (which, admittedly, isn't a ton). I think they play Alabama next week. If he is healthy, that game will be a huge test for him.

k-oneputt
09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Ark plays Bama but wilson's staus is unknown as of now.
Bray plays Florida, another good matchup.
Barkley plays Stanford.

kingJofNYC
09-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Bray's pretty raw, lots of upside but he's far from a ready product. I like Wilson but he's had trouble against the better SEC defenses.

MattyNH
09-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Suck for Luck was a sure thing to get the payoff.

k-oneputt
09-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Bray's pretty raw, lots of upside but he's far from a ready product. I like Wilson but he's had trouble against the better SEC defenses.

Who doesn't struggle against the better SEC defenses. Florida's defense will be a good test for Bray Sat.
I really was impressed with his game against NC St. a couple of weeks ago.

kingJofNYC
09-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Florida's D can be suspect, they weren't very good last year, jury is still out them only two games in. Bray has a couple of dynamite receivers, I don't question his deep ball accuracy or his ability to throw it, it's the intermediate and short throws along with footwork that need work.

k-oneputt
09-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Actually florida's defense was/is very good, it's the offense where they are struggling.

Bray has alot to work with. All rookie NFL qb's will have some struggles.

I want one with the talent that has the chance to develop into a legit franchise qb.
Fitz isn't getting us there.

ServoBillieves
09-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Really though, we should lose the entire season from here on out. Why win games when it's so much more convenient to the people here to complain about losing? All of the NFL General Managers who are on this board would have nothing to do if it weren't for the Bills failing!

Let's suck for Barkley so that when he comes here we can crucify him as well. Who is the best QB after him in 2 years? Yeah let's hope for him in 2015!

Mouldsie
09-10-2012, 03:33 PM
It sure as hell would have been

Joe Fo Sho
09-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Nothing is a sure thing.

DraftBoy
09-10-2012, 03:54 PM

Two concussions within a calendar year for Wilson it appears, not sure I want that.

- - - Updated - - -

Ark plays Bama but wilson's staus is unknown as of now.
Bray plays Florida, another good matchup.
Barkley plays Stanford.

Wilson is not expected to start.

CoolBreeze
09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
No, I'm not sold on Barkley, the guy struggled against Cuse and is a USC quarterback. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to draft high first and get a franchise QB. And just thinking about how Newton did last year, and Luck, RG3 how their looking this year. Not to mention Bradford and Stafford who appear to be the answers for their teams. It becomes even more intriguing, however this isn't Madden and I wouldn't want to lose on purpose to get there.

Mike
09-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Bills are an interesting enigma. In the year the Cam was drafted the Bills started out an amazing 0-8. Following many of your logic, they should have mailed it in, but they didn't and went 4-4 for 4-12 record, missing both Cam and Miller. In 2011, they started hot, 5-2 (giving them a 9-6 record over previous 15 games) and looked like a fun team to watch. Then the ball dropped and other other half of the season ended the way the 2010 season started. They barely won a game and went on to 6-10 record. Now, in the brand new season, here we are 0-1 and look the part of that team that started 0-8.

Now, if I had my say, I think its better to loose 12 games than to lose 10 games if it is the difference between drafting Cam, Luck, RG3 or drafting Gilmore. I am willing to give up 2-5 extra losses this year, in order to have a chance to draft the next Manning and win for the next 12 years.

mjt328
09-10-2012, 05:17 PM
We've all seen this song and dance before.

Going to the playoffs would be a great thing for the fans, who have endured for over a decade.
However, this team stands no chance of being a Super Bowl contender without a real quarterback. So ending up with Bakley/Wilson/Bray would be better in the long-term.

So, this is what will happen.

>> The Bills will win start the season 2-7, with their only wins coming against the Browns and Cardinals. Fans will accept the fact we are suck and a joke. But on the bright side, just past the mid-point of the season, they will be in good shape for FINALLY nabbing that franchise quarterback.

>> Tarvaris Jackson will be inserted into the lineup. The team will then rattle off 6 straight wins against their pathetic late schedule, giving themselves one last shot as the final wild card team.

>> The Jets will win the game in Week 17 with a last second field goal. Bills miss the playoffs again.

>> Tyler Bray will stay in school for another year. The Bills (drafting #17) will watch three potential franchise quarterbacks get chosen before they select. So they take a linebacker in round one, a wide receiver in round two and a safety in round three. We go into 2013 with TJax as the unquestioned starter.

>> The team (still run by Nix and Gailey) will talk all offseason about their "hot" finish to the season, and how well TJax is playing in practice. Injuries from the previous season will be blamed. Fans will get optimistic and start talking playoffs.

Rinse, Repeat...

Johnny Bugmenot
09-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Not with the stadium lease hanging over their head. "Blow for Barkley" will quickly turn into "Lose for L.A." in Russ Brandon's office. Last year was the year to do it, not this one.

BillsFever21
09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
They may not have to try. Unfortunately with our easy schedule the 2nd half of the year we will win just enough games to miss out on the top couple QB's in the draft. Not unless after we bomb out to a 2-7 record to start the season it just goes downhill from there and won't matter. Either way we'll win a couple of them games and probably end up with 4-6 wins on the season give or take.

BillsFever21
09-10-2012, 05:49 PM

Every crappy ass team in the league can say the same. "If you only take away our crappy play during the game then it really wasn't that bad and we would've won."

This is just an extension of the last half of the season last year. We are closer to that team then we are the 5-2 team that started the season.

X-Era
09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the QB's in this upcoming draft. That said, we need to find another option if Fitz can't step up.

BertSquirtgum
09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Not with the stadium lease hanging over their head. "Blow for Barkley" will quickly turn into "Lose for L.A." in Russ Brandon's office. Last year was the year to do it, not this one.

All of your post are about this team moving. Get a life.

Mike
09-13-2012, 05:16 AM
No, I'm not sold on Barkley, the guy struggled against Cuse and is a USC quarterback. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to draft high first and get a franchise QB. And just thinking about how Newton did last year, and Luck, RG3 how their looking this year. Not to mention Bradford and Stafford who appear to be the answers for their teams. It becomes even more intriguing, however this isn't Madden and I wouldn't want to lose on purpose to get there.

Nothing is for sure... but quite a few things are very likely:
1) Winning meaningless games is meaningless
2) Bills might blow their draft choices anyway, weather they pick 1st or 21st

Conclusion: losing will not cost them a thing....unless you think they are a SB contender - then I cant help you.

trapezeus
09-13-2012, 11:59 AM
with ralph nearing the end, i just see this as the last season of the bills in buffalo. especially with the quote that the EC commissioner said, "the only group not interested in keeping the bills in buffalo are the bills."

They are stalling on this lease because they want out. I used to never believe it. but they have everything they want exactly as they want it. a bad performance, a sick owner, no lease, no commitments. They want this team to move. they know toronto will pay and they'll save face by saying, "we did best we could and kept it as close as possible"

Watch the bills IR people for no reason again...just to make sure we suck. Whoever gets the bills is going to get a great team in 3-5 years. Which will cement the national media saying, "see buffalo was just a bad place for a team"

Johnny Bugmenot
09-13-2012, 04:45 PM
All of your post are about this team moving. Get a life. And all of yours are either about how either Fitzpatrick sucks, everyone else's posts sucks, or boobs. Seems like you're the one who needs to get a life.

Unlike your chances of landing a girl with a rack like the ones you constantly display, the chances of the Bills leaving (which I still think they should) are real.

BillsOverDolphins
09-13-2012, 05:10 PM
{sigh}

It's pretty ****ing obvious Barkley is going to make a good pro, barring injury. We will once again be content to go 6-10 or 5-11 though--missing out on him, and the same idiot fans will say the same faux-optimistic **** regarding next year.

I'd really love to smack some of you upside the head with a shovel, in hopes of knocking some cobwebs loose. No offense.

starrymessenger
09-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Logan Thomas. rhymes with Thurman Thomas.

Mike
10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
How do this years QB class compare to last years?

DraftBoy
10-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Strong.

But you don't need to tank to get a good QB this year.

Mr. Miyagi
10-09-2012, 12:06 PM
DB, off the top of your head, who are the top 5 QBs coming into the draft? Can you give a very brief opinion on each one, and who you see would fit the Bills the most?

IlluminatusUIUC
10-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Everyone likes the QBs upcoming in the draft, before they've had the chance to go through pre-draft nitpickfest. That said, Geno Smith looks like the real deal. Like RG3 trade worthy.

DraftBoy
10-09-2012, 01:10 PM
DB, off the top of your head, who are the top 5 QBs coming into the draft? Can you give a very brief opinion on each one, and who you see would fit the Bills the most?

Sure...

1. Geno Smith-West Virginia
Athletic QB who is pass first, has a strong arm, great accuracy, and finally is showing the moxy to be a leader. Concerns over the system he plays in are subsiding after he helped torch Texas this past Saturday. Geno has 24 TD's and 0, let me repeat that ZERO, INT's this year.

2. Matt Barkley-USC
Started off as the consensus top QB, but Geno passed him as Barkley has had an average season. Is the unquestioned leader at USC and he does everything well. Needs to continue to progress as a QB who reads defenses as he still has a tendency to force the ball. May be the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

3. Tyler Wilson-Arkansas
Some injury concerns from this season but Wilson has shown the ability to take a lot of hits and just keep coming back from more. He's rumored to be shorter than most think (Around 6'1) which will hurt but he has a live arm and worked with former NFL coach Bobby Petrino who knows how to mold QB's.

4. Zac Dysert-Miami (OH)
Many don't know this kid yet but he can do it all. Has had multiple 200+ passing yard, 100+ rushing yard games in his career. He has a big time arm and his numbers are hurt but receivers who drop the ball alot. Comes from the MAC so he'll need time to adapt.

5. EJ Manuel-FSU
After injuries slowed him down last year, Manuel has come back this year to show improved maturity and a better understanding of the FSU offense. He's stopped making stupid mistakes and been far more careful with the football. His question is can he ever reach that next level?

Those are all seniors as for juniors the top guy is...
1. Tyler Bray-Tennessee
He's just a straight gun slinger who has nothing but faith in his arm and isn't afraid to test the defense in tight windows. He throws some bad picks and his mechnics need to be refined but he's got as much upside as any QB with time.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Sure...

Athletic QB who is pass first, has a strong arm, great accuracy, and finally is showing the moxy to be a leader. Concerns over the system he plays in are subsiding after he helped torch Texas this past Saturday. Geno has 24 TD's and 0, let me repeat that ZERO, INT's this year.

He's had near or above a 65% compeletion rate every season, and now he's topping 80%. 80%!

2. Matt Barkley-USC
Started off as the consensus top QB, but Geno passed him as Barkley has had an average season. Is the unquestioned leader at USC and he does everything well. Needs to continue to progress as a QB who reads defenses as he still has a tendency to force the ball. May be the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

I like Barkley, but it does worry me that he plays with two likely first round wideouts and hasn't been sharp this year.

3. Tyler Wilson-Arkansas
Some injury concerns from this season but Wilson has shown the ability to take a lot of hits and just keep coming back from more. He's rumored to be shorter than most think (Around 6'1) which will hurt but he has a live arm and worked with former NFL coach Bobby Petrino who knows how to mold QB's.

Like who? Petrino has this rep as a QB whisperer, but who has he actually made successful at the NFL level? Plummer and Mallett were extremely raw coming out of his programs and Brohm is one of the worst QB busts of the last decade. He did some good things with Mark Brunell, but the guy was already a two time Pro Bowler when Patrino took over.

Ingtar33
10-09-2012, 01:30 PM
If I knew the season was going to end up 6-10, I'd rather go 0-16 and suck for the top pick in each round.
i was pretty sure we were going 7-9 this year. anyone watching the preseason could see how bad our LBers were, and how fitz was still fitz

DraftBoy
10-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Like who? Petrino has this rep as a QB whisperer, but who has he actually made successful at the NFL level? Plummer and Mallett were extremely raw coming out of his programs and Brohm is one of the worst QB busts of the last decade. He did some good things with Mark Brunell, but the guy was already a two time Pro Bowler when Patrino took over.

Well the only fair way to judge Petrino is on how the player did under his tutoring. Guys like Brohm, Lefors, Mallett all became draftable simply because of Petrino. Those guys busting (unknown for Mallett) afterwards are not necessairly a reflection of Petrino. He traditionally gets the most out of his QB's, would you not agree?

IlluminatusUIUC
10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Well the only fair way to judge Petrino is on how the player did under his tutoring. Guys like Brohm, Lefors, Mallett all became draftable simply because of Petrino. Those guys busting (unknown for Mallett) afterwards are not necessairly a reflection of Petrino. He traditionally gets the most out of his QB's, would you not agree?

At the college level, sure. But we're talking about draft prospects here, so we should focus on what his protegees have accomplished in the NFL. Which isn't very much at all. Whatever Petrino did for them in college, he has a long track record of guys who were unprepared for the NFL. Mike Leach is the same. He trains up QBs who put up video game numbers, but their skills don't translate.

Mr. Miyagi
10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Sure...

2. Matt Barkley-USC

3. Tyler Wilson-Arkansas

4. Zac Dysert-Miami (OH)
Many don't know this kid yet but he can do it all. Has had multiple 200+ passing yard, 100+ rushing yard games in his career. He has a big time arm and his numbers are hurt but receivers who drop the ball alot. Comes from the MAC so he'll need time to adapt.

5. EJ Manuel-FSU
After injuries slowed him down last year, Manuel has come back this year to show improved maturity and a better understanding of the FSU offense. He's stopped making stupid mistakes and been far more careful with the football. His question is can he ever reach that next level?

Those are all seniors as for juniors the top guy is...
1. Tyler Bray-Tennessee
He's just a straight gun slinger who has nothing but faith in his arm and isn't afraid to test the defense in tight windows. He throws some bad picks and his mechnics need to be refined but he's got as much upside as any QB with time.
Thanks so much.

Whatever happened to Landry Jones?

X-Era
10-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I voted no. I'm not convinced Barkley is even the best QB in this draft.

DraftBoy
10-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks so much.

Whatever happened to Landry Jones?

Still falling.

scartown
10-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I love me some Geno Smith

Novacane
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Strong.

But you don't need to tank to get a good QB this year.

What happened that now all the talk is there's no NFL starters in this class? Not calling you out DB. Just wondering cause a lot of people were saying the same thing in September. Has your opinion of this QB class changed since Sept?

Bangarang
04-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Barkley is a Mark Sanchez clone.

Lets go with Tyler Bray. Pray for Bray has a better ring to it anyway.

If I could go back in time I would kick myself in the genitals for this foolishness.

TedMock
04-08-2013, 11:00 AM
What happened that now all the talk is there's no NFL starters in this class? Not calling you out DB. Just wondering cause a lot of people were saying the same thing in September. Has your opinion of this QB class changed since Sept?

I think everybody should have at least re-evaluated since September. Opinions in September are valid based on the data available. Opinions in December will have included another full season of play/film to see how and if anything has changed. Opinions in April allow for more time to re-look based on interviews, testing numbers, off field issues, and other variables that may cause you to re-look. After doing all of the due diligence based on updated information, opinions on the players and the rankings could certainly change, or be validated. Either way it's important to continue assessment as more and more information becomes available.

TacklingDummy
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM

6-10, I nailed it.