X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Over Reaction Monday Response

We got our butts kicked, but there were some positives and some negatives clearly. I will start off by saying that I know what it feels like to be a pats fan in September 2003 and a chiefs fan last year. Oh yeah remember when we blew up the pats 31-0 or something in 2003 we were awesome and they sucked - wonder how that season turned out, yeah we won 6 more games and they won the super bowl. Chiefts won 7 games last year.

Negatives: Fitz was a negative he looked somewhat better as the game wore on and the offense was moving the ball better but he was late on his throws and was not accurate which lead to two of his picks. The third was he got straight up fooled by the jets and is all on him. Pass Rush and Pass Coverage were horrendous I know the jets were doing quick three step drops but it seemed like there was a guy open over the middle the whole game. The bills consistently forced the jets to 3rd and medium to long situations and the converted this has to get better. Hopefully this was a case of no game film and Wanny will improve this.

Positives: The OL was a big positive Fitz had a lot of time against the top blitzing team in the NFL and the run game speaks for itself. I thought Glenn and Hairston looked fantastic and could be our answers for the OTs, the interior looked strong as usual. Run game was fantastic against the best run defense from last year. Even taking away CJs long runs he still had a great day and Fred started hitting his stride before he got hurt. CJ had nice runs up the middle and the outside for solid 4-10 yard gains this is a very good sign and hopefully we RUN the DAMN ball A LOT. The RUN DEFENSE I thought this unit was fantastic they held a top 5 running team in terms of production and attempts to 118 yards. Jets ran the ball 36 times for a 3.3 average. The defense also did a nice job of consistently forcing third and medium to long situations, then failed.

Summary: The bills have a great test coming into the Ralph on Sunday the chiefs need a win as bad as us. The chiefs should have a good run game with Charles and Hillis and have three fantastic pass receivers as well as a decent line (good judge for our pass rush). The chiefs also have a good defense in their own right in terms of pass rush so another good test for our OL pass protection. I know we are all upset over this embarrassing loss but lets see what happens. The jets had the advantage of no film and hopefully that hurt as well as them jumping on us early which took us out of it by the second quarter.

Last thing on Fitz, he has 9 games to prove to me he can be a top 15 QB. Regardless I think we need to draft a guy in round 1 next year and what I wanted to do was groom him like the Packers groomed Rogers where he sat for 3 years, but if he plays bad he needs to be cut. The one good thing the bills did in his contract is they can cut him and walk away with minimal cap penalties after every year.
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: Over Reaction Monday Response

What's with all the hope and tempered optimism? This is a time for pure reality. The only thing this team has shown in all of their one games is that they are bad. There is no reason to think positively. Somebody get my Paxil.

Comment

• don137
      • Jul 2002

I could see optimism if Fitzpatrick showed some consistency as being a good QB. He's not a good QB. Many thought with the new QB coach, Lee, working on his mechanics that Fitz would be a different QB this year. However, from training, camp to preseason to now game one he looks just as bad as he did last year.
      As long as Fitz is the QB the ceiling on how good Buffalo can be is low.
      I think Bills fans will have Fitz on a very short leash going forward. If he has a bad first quarter against the Chiefs their will be a lot of boo birds coming out.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Anything negative said from 0-16 to we're rebuilding next year draft are no over reactions. We sucked.
        Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-10-2012, 08:51 AM.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• gebobs
          One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
          Last thing on Fitz, he has 9 games to prove to me he can be a top 15 QB.
          Nine games are unnecessary. Fitz is what he is. A decent backup. There is no hope he'll ever be more than that.
          Last edited by gebobs; 09-10-2012, 08:58 AM.
          Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

You guys have to remove the emotion of a decade of futility when looking at this game. It was one game and I highly doubt we will be that bad.

The jets have a good team and we clearly were not ready for their quick three step drops. We should have been jamming their receivers and not giving up the middle where sanchez likes to throw, hopefully we make the correction for week 17.

The whole key like you guys said is Fitz, I have no idea if he will be any good probably not. However, the OL and run defense looked a lot better than last year. Fitz had all the time he needed for deep routes to develop and the run defense was far superior to that of last year.

However, all those gains will be or naught if Fitz can not improve and be consistent.

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

yeah despite the huge egg laying that went on yesterday im still of the mind that the have enough talent and maturity to be a pretty good team this season. they do have the pieces in place to expect a nice rebound and some pretty good coaches that should be able to keep it together and respond well. plus they do have the schedule on their side especially late so all they will need is stick close to .500 and a late season run to push to a possible playoff spot

of course its a lot easier said than done and we saw little to believe in yesterday, but to think theres no chance the team rebounds is pretty silly at this point. i expect a completely different looking team next week and steady improvement as the season progresses. hey it could happen
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                • May 2009

Originally posted by don137 View Post
                I could see optimism if Fitzpatrick showed some consistency as being a good QB. He's not a good QB. Many thought with the new QB coach, Lee, working on his mechanics that Fitz would be a different QB this year. However, from training, camp to preseason to now game one he looks just as bad as he did last year.
                As long as Fitz is the QB the ceiling on how good Buffalo can be is low.
                I think Bills fans will have Fitz on a very short leash going forward. If he has a bad first quarter against the Chiefs their will be a lot of boo birds coming out.
                If he throws one interception next week, I will be booing the **** out of him.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

It's not just that it's one bad game. It followed an awful preseason, and 12 straight previous years without a sniff of the playoffs. It gets to be a cumulative turnoff after while.

I think, as loyal fans, that we have the right to be somewhat negative after getting blown out again, after what many of us thought was an exciting offseason.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Cntrygal
                    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                    • Jul 2002

Some soju might help too!
                    Originally posted by notacon
                    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• BleedinGreenNC
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Cntrygal View Post
                      Some soju might help too!
                      Long time no see Cntry!!

Comment

• Cntrygal
                        Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BleedinGreenNC View Post
                        Long time no see Cntry!!
                        I know! I haven't had the time to hang out on this board much... much less other team boards! How have you been?
                        Originally posted by notacon
                        The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Lexwhat
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                          Positives: The OL was a big positive Fitz had a lot of time against the top blitzing team in the NFL and the run game speaks for itself. I thought Glenn and Hairston looked fantastic and could be our answers for the OTs, the interior looked strong as usual. Run game was fantastic against the best run defense from last year. Even taking away CJs long runs he still had a great day and Fred started hitting his stride before he got hurt. CJ had nice runs up the middle and the outside for solid 4-10 yard gains this is a very good sign and hopefully we RUN the DAMN ball A LOT. The RUN DEFENSE I thought this unit was fantastic they held a top 5 running team in terms of production and attempts to 118 yards. Jets ran the ball 36 times for a 3.3 average. The defense also did a nice job of consistently forcing third and medium to long situations, then failed.
                          The points you made here are factually inaccurate. The Jets are not even CLOSE to being a top blitzing team in the NFL. In fact, their pass rush was considered a weakness last year.

And why are you saying they had the best run Defense last year? That is completely untrue. They were 13th in the league in run defense last year, and 27th in the league in rushing touchdowns allowed.

Lastly, the Bills giving up 118 yards on the ground is considered a "fantastic job"? How?? The SF 49ers gave up an average of 77 yards per game on the ground last year. Now that's a fantastic job.

Comment

• BleedinGreenNC
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Cntrygal View Post
                            I know! I haven't had the time to hang out on this board much... much less other team boards! How have you been?

Doing great, havent had time to get on the boards much myself, hope your doing well!!

Comment

• SabreEleven
                              • Aug 2002

I wouldn't call the Chiefs a great test either...The Jets, Patriots and SF are great test, not the Chiefs

Comment

Working...
                              X