PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Refs...

Historian
09-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Just ghastly in every game.

Had to stop the game in Phoenix to figure out if Seattle had used their third Time Out.

:shakeno:

The King
09-10-2012, 09:00 AM
One thing I noticed it seems most games ran an extra 10-20 mins because of all the stoppages and ref huddles.

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Just ghastly in every game.

Had to stop the game in Phoenix to figure out if Seattle had used their third Time Out.

:shakeno:

They're new. They're from Division II. The mobs haven't had enough time to pull them into their collective, like the regular refs. :kid:

jimmifli
09-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I didn't think they were that bad. Lots of decisions seemed arbitrary which is an improvement over the usual punitive one-sided game calling I'm accustomed to viewing on Sundays.

mikemac2001
09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
they werent one sided but they were bad

HIll's TD was on the outside of the pilon (i believe they changed it has to be on the inside)

I thought the 4th and 1 the jets picked up another close one

and i thought the spiller fumble wasnt a catch he didnt take 2 steps and not really a football move it also looked like the ball was still moving from his hand

but they seem to offset each other in the end. i really didnt watch any other games due to me being drunk and angry

OpIv37
09-10-2012, 11:08 AM
The replacement refs were terrible. The INT by the Bills shouldn't have counted because his 2nd foot was clearly on the line, and both teams got screwed at least once by the refs forgetting to reset the play clock.

It definitely wasn't one sided, as each team had to deal with their share of bad calls, but it was definitely bad.

Lone Stranger
09-10-2012, 11:14 AM
I was not aware of any game where their conduct influenced the outcome of a game. For the most part they did an acceptable job, if not good. Besides, we are going to be stuck with them for a while.

OpIv37
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I was not aware of any game where their conduct influenced the outcome of a game. For the most part they did an acceptable job, if not good. Besides, we are going to be stuck with them for a while.

Their conduct hasn't affected the outcome of the game....yet. But it will.

I didn't get too pissed off about the blown calls in this game, because the early ones went in our favor and the ones that went against us were after the game was already decided. But that won't be the case every time.

Just imagine if the Bills have a 3rd and goal from the 1 to take the lead late in a game, and take a 5 yard delay of game because the refs forgot to reset the play clock. Or if we run out of challenges in the first half because the replacement refs are to stupid to figure out if a guy is out of bounds when looking at a magnified HD screen.

There are plenty of ways for us to get burned when it matters, and it will happen.

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 11:24 AM

I didn't get too pissed off about the blown calls in this game, because the early ones went in our favor and the ones that went against us were after the game was already decided. But that won't be the case every time.

Just imagine if the Bills have a 3rd and goal from the 1 to take the lead late in a game, and take a 5 yard delay of game because the refs forgot to reset the play clock. Or if we run out of challenges in the first half because the replacement refs are to stupid to figure out if a guy is out of bounds when looking at a magnified HD screen.

There are plenty of ways for us to get burned when it matters, and it will happen.

Yeah - do you remember the "regular" ref that said "Just give it to 'em." ?

EricStratton
09-10-2012, 11:25 AM
The Green Bay / San Fran game was called worse then the high school game I attended Friday night. The speed of the game just is to much for the refs at this stage of the season.

Albany,n.y.
09-10-2012, 11:33 AM
The refs cost us the game!

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 12:07 PM
The Green Bay / San Fran game was called worse then the high school game I attended Friday night. The speed of the game just is to much for the refs at this stage of the season.

Eh, I don't see the NFLPA players lining up in support for their fellow union. I did read the snarky comments by this or that player about the replacements.

trapezeus
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
the refs were terrible. it was evident in the bills jets game, but that resetting the game clock was happening in alot of the games and the players and coaches were just besides themselves. there is nothing for them to do.

the arizona game witht he timeout was the worst offense of ineptitude. It didn't effect the outcome, but it was close. I don't know why the seahawks didn't get together on the sidelines when the refs were trying to figure it out and discuss.

in the end, the amount of times the refs took was beyond better than a time out. everyone was rested. Top athletes like NFL players get tired, but their rate of recovery is very fast. to get 10 minutes is a huge timeout. it was longer than a TV timeout. if arizona loses that game, that debacle is one of the top 5 stories this morning.

Bill Cody
09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I'd like some more replacements but this is the squad we've got

Typ0
09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
they might better get rid of refs and the kicking game, throw the ball at the middle of the field to start the quarter and after every TD and tell the teams to have at it!

BillsFever21
09-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Too bad the coaches wouldn't go on strike. We might do better with replacement coaches then with the bums we have now trying to outsmart legitimate NFL coaches.

Mr. Pink
09-11-2012, 05:52 AM
These guys are no different than the regular refs who missed calls every Sunday.

DraftBoy
09-11-2012, 07:03 AM
they werent one sided but they were bad

HIll's TD was on the outside of the pilon (i believe they changed it has to be on the inside)

I thought the 4th and 1 the jets picked up another close one

and i thought the spiller fumble wasnt a catch he didnt take 2 steps and not really a football move it also looked like the ball was still moving from his hand

but they seem to offset each other in the end. i really didnt watch any other games due to me being drunk and angry

The Hill TD was good and the Spiller fumble was just that.

OpIv37
09-11-2012, 07:15 AM
These guys are no different than the regular refs who missed calls every Sunday.

I disagree. The regular refs definitely miss calls, but they don't do things like blow obvious replay challenges or cost a team 5 yards by forgetting to restart the time clock. They're also better at spotting holding penalties.

Or to put it another, way, the regular refs are bad. The replacement refs are ****ing terrible.

DBrown77
09-11-2012, 07:16 AM
The replacement refs were terrible. The INT by the Bills shouldn't have counted because his 2nd foot was clearly on the line, and both teams got screwed at least once by the refs forgetting to reset the play clock.

It definitely wasn't one sided, as each team had to deal with their share of bad calls, but it was definitely bad.

Scotts heal came down in bounds first so thats why it was upheld. I think it was a good call.

kishoph
09-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I don't think they were that bad, you hear so much about them and start to get a preconceived notion about them, it ends up, your looking for every mistake, then magnifying it. Sure they missed calls and made some wrong calls, but I honestly can't remember a game where the "regular refs" didn't blow at least one call. It's not like these guys have never called a game before, they are all experienced, maybe not in the NFL, but they have all officiated games. Also I'm pretty sure that the replay officials are not replacements, so how much can you blame the replacements for calls not being overturned. I would prefer that the "regular officials" stay out and that the league starts to work on getting full time officials, it may take a couple of years to see benefits from that, but I believe that there would be benefits of having full time officials.

GingerP
09-11-2012, 10:15 AM
The real refs are definitely better, but it hasn't been a big deal. They are still playing the games.

One thing I like is they are less hesitant to call penalties, so they are letting the players play. I don't miss the ticky-tack pass interference calls or the personal fouls whenever a QB is nudged a little.

Ideally I would like to see the real refs return but the game called the same way. The real refs definitely know the rules, can handle the pace and control the game better, but the fake refs are allowing the players to play. It is more physical and they are only calling the blatant stuff. I like that.

Lone Stranger
09-11-2012, 11:35 AM

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I did not see any partiality in the calls which is rampant with the regular officials. Both sides had to deal with the way the game was being called. Some like it when a flag is kept in the ref's pocket. Calls were missed but that happens all the time.

MikeInRoch
09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
21 Worst Replacement Referee mistakes From Sunday (http://deadspin.com/5941958/here-are-the-21-worst-replacement-referee-mistakes-from-sunday)

In particular, I like the "9 yards is a first down" one.

MikeInRoch
09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
It is more physical and they are only calling the blatant stuff.

It makes total sense, then, that so many *more* pass interference calls were made yesterday than normal.

DraftBoy
09-11-2012, 11:48 AM
21 Worst Replacement Referee mistakes From Sunday (http://deadspin.com/5941958/here-are-the-21-worst-replacement-referee-mistakes-from-sunday)

A lot of those are ticky tacky things that they really stretched for, classic deaspin though.

kishoph
09-11-2012, 12:32 PM

I would bet that you can take just about any week from last season and find just as many or close to the same amount of mistakes, it's because they are "replacements" that they are under more scrutiny. In no way am I saying that they're doing a great job, but they aren't far off from the "regular refs" why for some reason people can't remember blew just as many calls and some just as ridiculous. I don't like the idea of these old men trying to hold the league hostage to get an increase in their already inflated salaries. Let them go back to their regular jobs and get full time officials in here. I don't want the NFL to cave in, but we'll see what happens after week 5.