• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Replacement Refs...

Just ghastly in every game.

Had to stop the game in Phoenix to figure out if Seattle had used their third Time Out.

• The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Replacement Refs...

One thing I noticed it seems most games ran an extra 10-20 mins because of all the stoppages and ref huddles.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• stuckincincy
      Buffalo Bills Fan
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Just ghastly in every game.

Had to stop the game in Phoenix to figure out if Seattle had used their third Time Out.

They're new. They're from Division II. The mobs haven't had enough time to pull them into their collective, like the regular refs.
      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• jimmifli
        • Nov 2006

I didn't think they were that bad. Lots of decisions seemed arbitrary which is an improvement over the usual punitive one-sided game calling I'm accustomed to viewing on Sundays.

Comment

• mikemac2001
          is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
          • Mar 2003

they werent one sided but they were bad

HIll's TD was on the outside of the pilon (i believe they changed it has to be on the inside)

I thought the 4th and 1 the jets picked up another close one

and i thought the spiller fumble wasnt a catch he didnt take 2 steps and not really a football move it also looked like the ball was still moving from his hand

but they seem to offset each other in the end. i really didnt watch any other games due to me being drunk and angry

MUCK
          FIAMI

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

The replacement refs were terrible. The INT by the Bills shouldn't have counted because his 2nd foot was clearly on the line, and both teams got screwed at least once by the refs forgetting to reset the play clock.

It definitely wasn't one sided, as each team had to deal with their share of bad calls, but it was definitely bad.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Lone Stranger
              • Sep 2002

I was not aware of any game where their conduct influenced the outcome of a game. For the most part they did an acceptable job, if not good. Besides, we are going to be stuck with them for a while.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by fmr60 View Post
                I was not aware of any game where their conduct influenced the outcome of a game. For the most part they did an acceptable job, if not good. Besides, we are going to be stuck with them for a while.
                Their conduct hasn't affected the outcome of the game....yet. But it will.

I didn't get too pissed off about the blown calls in this game, because the early ones went in our favor and the ones that went against us were after the game was already decided. But that won't be the case every time.

Just imagine if the Bills have a 3rd and goal from the 1 to take the lead late in a game, and take a 5 yard delay of game because the refs forgot to reset the play clock. Or if we run out of challenges in the first half because the replacement refs are to stupid to figure out if a guy is out of bounds when looking at a magnified HD screen.

There are plenty of ways for us to get burned when it matters, and it will happen.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                  Their conduct hasn't affected the outcome of the game....yet. But it will.

I didn't get too pissed off about the blown calls in this game, because the early ones went in our favor and the ones that went against us were after the game was already decided. But that won't be the case every time.

Just imagine if the Bills have a 3rd and goal from the 1 to take the lead late in a game, and take a 5 yard delay of game because the refs forgot to reset the play clock. Or if we run out of challenges in the first half because the replacement refs are to stupid to figure out if a guy is out of bounds when looking at a magnified HD screen.

There are plenty of ways for us to get burned when it matters, and it will happen.
                  Yeah - do you remember the "regular" ref that said "Just give it to 'em." ?
                  Last edited by stuckincincy; 09-10-2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• EricStratton
                    • Jul 2002

The Green Bay / San Fran game was called worse then the high school game I attended Friday night. The speed of the game just is to much for the refs at this stage of the season.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

The refs cost us the game!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by EricStratton View Post
                        The Green Bay / San Fran game was called worse then the high school game I attended Friday night. The speed of the game just is to much for the refs at this stage of the season.
                        Eh, I don't see the NFLPA players lining up in support for their fellow union. I did read the snarky comments by this or that player about the replacements.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

the refs were terrible. it was evident in the bills jets game, but that resetting the game clock was happening in alot of the games and the players and coaches were just besides themselves. there is nothing for them to do.

the arizona game witht he timeout was the worst offense of ineptitude. It didn't effect the outcome, but it was close. I don't know why the seahawks didn't get together on the sidelines when the refs were trying to figure it out and discuss.

in the end, the amount of times the refs took was beyond better than a time out. everyone was rested. Top athletes like NFL players get tired, but their rate of recovery is very fast. to get 10 minutes is a huge timeout. it was longer than a TV timeout. if arizona loses that game, that debacle is one of the top 5 stories this morning.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

I'd like some more replacements but this is the squad we've got

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

they might better get rid of refs and the kicking game, throw the ball at the middle of the field to start the quarter and after every TD and tell the teams to have at it!

Comment

Working...
                              X